Start by marking “Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1

Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1

(Paradise Kiss #1)

Yukari wants nothing more than to make her parents happy by studying hard and getting into a good college. One afternoon, however, she is kidnapped by a group of self-proclaimed fashion mavens calling themselves "Paradise Kiss." Yukari suddenly finds herself in the roller coaster life of the fashion world, guided by George, art-snob extraordinaire. In a glamorous makeover ...more
Published May 14th 2002 by TokyoPop (first published April 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1

Start your review of Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1
Alex
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, josei
A couple of years back I read a Josei Manga based on the fashion industry and abusive Male/Female relationships, Hot Gimmick, which ended disappointingly for me. It was a very readable, challenging series, but I was troubled by the heroine’s ultimate willingness to allow herself to be dominated by the man who had abused her and her acceptance that society perhaps, in some small sense, ought to be that way.

After a couple of volumes of Paradise Kiss, I was concerned that this would be a repeat per
Gaia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WAS THE ENDING ALWAYS THIS BITTERSWEET I'M CRYING
Alaiel Kreuz
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is most certainly not a new manga for me, in fact, I read this like 4 or 5 years ago and it inspired me like no other book or manga have done. Since it's compose for five tomes I'm just going to do a review about the hole series in general, but without spoilers,so don't worry.

It all starts with the view of a young lady in the middle of a few persons waiting to cross the street, but somehow she seems really unhappy and well, bother with the whole world. Her name is Yukari (aka Caroline) and
Jamie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manwha
Cute start to a series. I like that character dynamics. Ai Yazawa has that skill down nicely. The story focus on a girl named Yukari who is a hardworking student who tries hard to please her parents. She meets some students of a nearby art school and they ask her to model their clothing the create. She then starts to question her own views of reality as these 4 new friends show her concepts of life she never thought of before.
My only complaint is how the characters keep referencing to themselve
Allie
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This is only my second manga, so I don't have much to compare it to; but I liked it. I thought it was funny. Nevertheless, I'm not positive I'll borrow the next one. Still, it was entertaining!
Mari
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this one for the first time four years ago and fell completely and utterly in love with the series. The characters are fantastic. They are all so colourful and interesting, not to mention talented! George is just AWESOME!! I actually don't know what words to use in order to describe him. He is just so unpredictable, but at the same time you can't help but love that about him. After reading this again, I am totally in love with him all over again! Aside from George and his epicness, I don' ...more
Summer
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A lot of people I know like Ai Yazawa's 'Nana' series and it is her most popular series. While I did like the movie I wasn't that big of a fan of the manga. However, her Paradise Kiss manga is fantastic. It doesn't have your typical ending and it involves some really interesting fashion. Not to mention that George is one of the most fantastic characters in manga I've read. You don't know whether you want to kill him or kiss him.
JttR T
-bittersweet
-romance
Javiera
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this manga in a few hours and I regret nothing. I heard about ParaKiss many years ago but even if the plot was kind of appealing to me, I never had the real intention to make some time and read it.

However, this last summer I got interested about "Nana" and that's how I decided to give it to this other Yazawa's work a try again.

Even though is a bit more of the typical "My family force me to be like this but I find an unconventional interest that makes me happy even if they would hate me f
Genevra Littlejohn
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent series. Too many shojo manga suggest that you're going to go to high school, find the man you'll be with forever, and that'll be it--it was refreshing to find one that shows a relationship that is finite, but still also lasting.
Alicia
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, relationship
I did read the whole series. I thought the main character was pretty much a schmuck but it ended kinda interestingly. Also, the artwork is really neat.
Nick
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: A+
Summary: A fashion/drama/romance Josei series created by Ai Yazawa (who is also the creator of Nana), which follows Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka. Yukari is an attractive high schooler, but her life consists of traveling from high school to cram school to home, and back again. The manga opens with Yukari running into Arashi (a punk) and Isabella (a transvestite), who are part of a group of fashion students that call their label "Paradise Kiss". Yukari thinks they are perverts (did
Nicole
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, josei
Okay. The part of me that (still) likes to watch America's Next Top Model every season was for obvious reasons drawn to a series about a reluctant model (Yukari) and the crew of fashion-forward design students that help Yukari discover her passion for the industry. And there was a lot I liked about this series, including the artwork by Yazawa. But the romance that develops between Yukari and George, the "leader" of the group of fashion students she starts hanging around with, made me uncomfortab ...more
Garden of Eden
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have finished reading this manga back then. Well truthfully it's really annoyed me when Yukari refuse to attend school at the beginning of the story. You need to finish your education instead of skipping & almost deciding to drop. Depending on your beauty alone is a big no no. There's a part in it she talked as if she had seen lots about life. Well she deserves her mother's slap for that. But, as the story goes by she begins to mature & realise what she should do & don't. Which is a good thing ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, manga
For a short, 5 volume series, this was a decent read. Some of the characters - especially George - seemed a bit wishy washy at times, but the artwork is clean and enjoyable, and with a end after 5 volumes, the story managed to remain interesting without dragging on for so long like some mangas unfortunately do. Overall, this volume was a good start to Paradise Kiss. Pick it up. You might like it, despite its somewhat bittersweet ending.
Bryan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely have not read (or watched) a story quite like this one. The initial premise, an outsider brought into an unfamiliar place/group, sure, but the characters and setting in this Magna were totally new to me.

All the inhabitants in the Paradise were completely fascinating and people I’d LOVE to hang out with. George...uh...totally gorgeous and I found his personality utterly charming.

Our protagonist, “Caroline”, is totally likable and I found her feelings towards the whole situation realist
Imane
Oct 01, 2019 added it
I read the whole series when I was in high school because the fashion was amazing
Kristin Ogarp
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This has neutral chaotic energy and I am here for it.
Sam
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ugh, I know what is coming buuuuuuut feeeeeeeelings.
Yu
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read paradise kiss vol.1. I read it before in Japanese when I was a junior high school student. This story's heroine is Yukari. Yukari is a high school student. She looks powerful, smart and beautiful but her mind is weak. And main character is paradise kiss's member, George, Arashi, Izabera and Miwako. They are also high school student, but they study about fashion. And they invited to Yukari to model for fashion contest. I like this story because I like fashion. And I empathy to Yukari.
Luke Reynolds
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

I am conflicted! I watched the anime adaptation of Paradise Kiss almost two years ago, and while I did love the art and the style of the story, the main couple frustrated me. It's one of those condescending mind games of a relationship where the guy drags the girl around on a leash, and although she's sick of it, she can't get enough. Along with that, there was some terminology in this book that felt outdated (calling a picnic gay, for example).

But there's a sort
mazohyst
August 9, 2014

I decided to reread this series again. I'm not sure why. Okay, just kidding. I totally know why. I read this article: Paradise Kiss and the Art of Self Deprecation and wanted to revisit Yukari's relationship with George. Not much has changed in the three years since I first read this, but I'd like to analyze their relationship with a clearer head and without being so emotionally attached to the characters.

I'm still entranced by Yazawa's cute and quirky art style. I'm still in love
Kidrauhl
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is one of my favorite mangas. yukari was such a relatable character for me and she was very refreshing among the typical sugary shojo schoolgirls i was used to read about. yukari is really smart and she feels like a real person and not a stereotype. in fact, all of the character feel that way despite fitting into some. miwako is one of the cutest characters ever. george is really weird and twisted and i can never figure him out, but i guess thats the way he supposed to be. but he's very cha ...more
Jack Reynolds
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is the only josei series I've read as of now (and watched in terms of anime), but going back into this world is a lot of fun. Killer fashion and amazing art collide in this coming-of-age story about Yukari Hayasaka, a 3rd year high school student who becomes involved with the shenanigans of Paradise Kiss, a group of students from the Yazawa School of Arts. Aside from eventually signing on to be their model for the school festival up ahead, she also becomes romantically involved with the lea ...more
Meghan
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls looking for some good manga
Shelves: manga, read-2010
When I researched this manga, I heard that it's about fashion and modelling and such. It didn't sound like something I'd be too interested in, but being new to manga anyways, I thought I'd give it a try. And whoa. I am so glad I did.

Paradise Kiss is about a girl named Yukari Hayasaka. She's very studious and spends mostly all her time studying for college. One day, she is spotted on the street by the members of Paradise Kiss, a group of designers from a local arts high school. She is taken to th
Fenny Wong
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, manga, fashion
After reading so much shoujo mangas.... I actually find this one series appeal to me the most. Not only because I really liked fashion, but the bittersweet love really got into me.
The male lead character George was a very complex and interesting character --- so was the female lead Yukari. Don't expect the ordinarily-popular-handsome-smart-perfect pretty boy like in other mangas, George was different. He had his ambition, dream career, even his negative and dark sides when it comes to love.
The
Yue
It is an interesting manga, although I was expecting more of the world of fashion, which I guess it will be in the following chapters. Yukari is funny and kinda clumsy character, but she forgets too soon 'her true love' and falls rather quickly for George. The guys at the studio (the rocker, the loli, the drag) and George were OK. I think I liked the drag better as we do not get much about her.

Miwako looks so much like a little girl of 14-years-old it looks disturbing to read that she and the Ar
Angela Auten
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Paradise Kiss Volume 1 Review

Manga Rating: 5 stars out of 5

Story Line: 5 stars out of 5. I read the manga because I watched the anime. I wanted to see how close the anime came to the manga. This volume represented episodes 1-3.

Characters: 5 stars out of 5. I loved each and every character that was written for this manga. Yukari, the narrator, she had a dull life. The only thing she did was study for college entrance exams. She finally opens her shell when she meets the people from Parakiss. A l
Samantha
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I watched the anime before reading the manga. As someone who is not very much into anime romance OR fashion, I wasn't expecting to like this series as much as I did. What first intrigued me was the art style, so I thought, "eh, I'll give it a go". I was enthralled from the start. What I really loved was the atypical nature of this romance manga. From my experience, most romance manga are very cute, flowery, and girly. Not the case with Paradise Kiss. This one gave off a gritty and er ...more
Aurore
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
the movie adaption of this one chose a happy ending. i prefer the manga ending. that's life, and we cannot always have what we want. besides, with the manga ending, we know for sure how much George and Yukari's feelings and love for each other. if not thinking about the other one's future, they would not choose to sacrafice their love. they chose to live longer, they must lose sth precious in exchange.

and we, readers, should think carefully of our choice and chance in life. nothing costs for fr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Feminist Shoujo: Feminist Shoujo Club Read #1 1 13 Jul 05, 2016 11:37AM

• Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess
  • Mars, Vol. 1
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 1 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #1)
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 1 (Alice 19th, #1)
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 1 (Boys Over Flowers, #1)
  • Beast Master, Vol. 1 (Beast Master, #1)
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 (Nodame Cantabile, #1)
  • Black Bird, Vol. 1
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 1 (Kamisama Kiss, #1)
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 1
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 1 (MeruPuri, #1)
  • Full Moon o Sagashite, Vol. 1
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1
  • キスよりも早く1 [Kisu Yorimo Hayaku 1] (Faster than a Kiss #1)
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 01
  • D.N.Angel, Vol. 1 (D.N.Angel, #1)
Ai YAZAWA (矢沢 あい) is a Japanese manga author. Her pen name comes from Japanese singer Eikichi Yazawa, of whom she is a fan.

Yazawa started her manga publishing life in 1985; throughout 15 years of publishing, she wrote over ten series on Ribon magazine. While most of her manga continues to be published in Japan by Shueisha, publishers of Ribon and Cookie (in which Nana is serialized), series like P

Paradise Kiss (5 books)