Start by marking “Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1 (Paradise Kiss, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1 (Paradise Kiss, #1)

Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1

(Paradise Kiss #1)

Yukari wants nothing more than to make her parents happy by studying hard and getting into a good college. One afternoon, however, she is kidnapped by a group of self-proclaimed fashion mavens calling themselves "Paradise Kiss." Yukari suddenly finds herself in the roller coaster life of the fashion world, guided by George, art-snob extraordinaire. In a glamorous makeover ...more
Published May 14th 2002 by TokyoPop (first published April 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1

Irmak
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
3 gündür deli gibi hasta olduğum için hiçbir şekilde kitap okuyamıyorum, odaklanamıyorum. Bir haftadır da ana sayfama manga düşüp duruyor aklım çeliniyor zaten, hazır kitaba odaklanamıyorken manga okuyayım dedim.

Sınava hazırlanan son sınıf öğrencisi Yukari'nin , bir gün Moda Okulu öğrencilerinden birisi tarafından yolu kesilir. Bu öğrenciler bir yarışmaya katılacaktır ve aradıkları fiziksel özellikler ile güzellik Yukari'de bulunmaktadır. Bu yüzden Yukari'den onlara modellik yapmasını isterler.
Alex
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, josei
A couple of years back I read a Josei Manga based on the fashion industry and abusive Male/Female relationships, Hot Gimmick, which ended disappointingly for me. It was a very readable, challenging series, but I was troubled by the heroine’s ultimate willingness to allow herself to be dominated by the man who had abused her and her acceptance that society perhaps, in some small sense, ought to be that way.

After a couple of volumes of Paradise Kiss, I was concerned that this would be a repeat per
Gaia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WAS THE ENDING ALWAYS THIS BITTERSWEET I'M CRYING
Yukino
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, manga, miei
PARADISE KISS n. 1

Finalmente ho tra le mani il seguito di "cortili del cuore", che era finito facendoci intravedere un triangolo amoroso tra Miwako, sorella di Mikako, protagonista di "cortili" , Harashi figlio dell'amica di Mikako, e Hiroyuki figlio del barista sempre amico di Mikako e Tsuotmu.
Paradise kiss si colloca 10 anni dopo , ma la protagonista è Yukari, una ragazza di un altro liceo che è stata reclutata da Miwako & co. per la sfilata scolastica dove loro aiutano il loro amico / co
Alaiel Kreuz
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is most certainly not a new manga for me, in fact, I read this like 4 or 5 years ago and it inspired me like no other book or manga have done. Since it's compose for five tomes I'm just going to do a review about the hole series in general, but without spoilers,so don't worry.

It all starts with the view of a young lady in the middle of a few persons waiting to cross the street, but somehow she seems really unhappy and well, bother with the whole world. Her name is Yukari (aka Caroline) and
Jamie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manwha
Cute start to a series. I like that character dynamics. Ai Yazawa has that skill down nicely. The story focus on a girl named Yukari who is a hardworking student who tries hard to please her parents. She meets some students of a nearby art school and they ask her to model their clothing the create. She then starts to question her own views of reality as these 4 new friends show her concepts of life she never thought of before.
My only complaint is how the characters keep referencing to themselve
Lau
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Ai Yazawa tiene algo con sus historias, no entiendo qué es, pero cuando las empiezo a leer no puedo parar.
Éste no es un argumento que normalmente me interesaría, pero por alguna razón estoy completamente enganchada y ya me encariñé con todos los personajes (excepto con George, (view spoiler)). Además me encanta el humor y el estilo de dibujo, igual que me pasó con Nana.
Lástima que son pocos tomos, me va a durar poco.
Allie
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This is only my second manga, so I don't have much to compare it to; but I liked it. I thought it was funny. Nevertheless, I'm not positive I'll borrow the next one. Still, it was entertaining!
JttR T
-bittersweet
-romance
Javiera
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this manga in a few hours and I regret nothing. I heard about ParaKiss many years ago but even if the plot was kind of appealing to me, I never had the real intention to make some time and read it.

However, this last summer I got interested about "Nana" and that's how I decided to give it to this other Yazawa's work a try again.

Even though is a bit more of the typical "My family force me to be like this but I find an unconventional interest that makes me happy even if they would hate me f
Mari
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this one for the first time four years ago and fell completely and utterly in love with the series. The characters are fantastic. They are all so colourful and interesting, not to mention talented! George is just AWESOME!! I actually don't know what words to use in order to describe him. He is just so unpredictable, but at the same time you can't help but love that about him. After reading this again, I am totally in love with him all over again! Aside from George and his epicness, I don' ...more
Summer
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A lot of people I know like Ai Yazawa's 'Nana' series and it is her most popular series. While I did like the movie I wasn't that big of a fan of the manga. However, her Paradise Kiss manga is fantastic. It doesn't have your typical ending and it involves some really interesting fashion. Not to mention that George is one of the most fantastic characters in manga I've read. You don't know whether you want to kill him or kiss him.
Genevra Littlejohn
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent series. Too many shojo manga suggest that you're going to go to high school, find the man you'll be with forever, and that'll be it--it was refreshing to find one that shows a relationship that is finite, but still also lasting.
Alicia
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, relationship
I did read the whole series. I thought the main character was pretty much a schmuck but it ended kinda interestingly. Also, the artwork is really neat.
Nick
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: A+
Summary: A fashion/drama/romance Josei series created by Ai Yazawa (who is also the creator of Nana), which follows Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka. Yukari is an attractive high schooler, but her life consists of traveling from high school to cram school to home, and back again. The manga opens with Yukari running into Arashi (a punk) and Isabella (a transvestite), who are part of a group of fashion students that call their label "Paradise Kiss". Yukari thinks they are perverts (did
Deni Morzilli
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Los chicos que se nieguen a leer éste manga con el prejuicio de que es Shōjo (manga para chicas) les aseguro que se pierden de algo bueno y diferente a lo que estamos acostumbrados a leer, porque es un manga hilarante y ameno recomendable para todo público, tanto femenino como masculino.
Introducirse en el mundo de Paradise Kiss es un deleite para la visual y lo emocional, sin querer sonar cursi. La historia te mantiene con la intriga hasta el final, con una trama simple pero muy entretenida e ir
Ysora Luinwe
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuando el paisaje blanco y negro se llena de todos los colores.
________________________________________

Yukari Hayazaka es una joven estudiante de secundaria cuya vida es aburrida y sin sentido, un verdadero paisaje gris sin apenas color. Un día, para su horror, tiene la mala suerte de toparse con una panda de lunáticos y estrambóticos estudiantes del Yaza -diminutivo de Yazawa-, un prestigioso instituto de diseño de ropa que, asombrados por la altura y la belleza de Yukari, desean que desfile p
ArdnAskelA
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, bibli-perso, ebook
Je ne sais pas pourquoi j'ai pris ce manga parmi tant d'autres dans les rayonnages. Au début, je ne voulais pas le lire: la couverture rose et le titre ne me disaient rien. Rien que j'aurais aimé. Bah, oui, faut dire que je ne suis pas du tout fan, mais alors là pas du tout du tout, ni du rose ni du paradis. Mais j'ai quand même quand même entamé la lecture, sans vraiment savoir pourquoi.. Oui, je suis bizarre, c'est rien de nouveau. Bref, revenons au manga ! :D Je pense, non je suis sure même, ...more
Nicole
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, josei
Okay. The part of me that (still) likes to watch America's Next Top Model every season was for obvious reasons drawn to a series about a reluctant model (Yukari) and the crew of fashion-forward design students that help Yukari discover her passion for the industry. And there was a lot I liked about this series, including the artwork by Yazawa. But the romance that develops between Yukari and George, the "leader" of the group of fashion students she starts hanging around with, made me uncomfortab ...more
Conejo Literario
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novelas-graficas
Había olvidado lo jodidamente bueno que es este manga. No somos dignos de las historias de Ai Yazawa.
Luke Reynolds
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

I am conflicted! I watched the anime adaptation of Paradise Kiss almost two years ago, and while I did love the art and the style of the story, the main couple frustrated me all to heck. It's one of those condescending mind games of a relationship where the guy drags the girl around on a leash, and although she's sick of it, she can't get enough. Along with that, there was some terminology in this book that felt outdated (calling a picnic gay, for example; freak
Bryan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely have not read (or watched) a story quite like this one. The initial premise, an outsider brought into an unfamiliar place/group, sure, but the characters and setting in this Magna were totally new to me.

All the inhabitants in the Paradise were completely fascinating and people I’d LOVE to hang out with. George...uh...totally gorgeous and I found his personality utterly charming.

Our protagonist, “Caroline”, is totally likable and I found her feelings towards the whole situation realist
Shenema
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Forse non sono abbastanza obiettiva, quando si parla di Ai Yazawa... ma ogni sua tavola mi travolge. Io che odio le opere in cui manca rappresentanza, io che a stento reggo le storie d'amore, mi commuovo per i patemi sentimentali degli stecchini disegnati da questa donna.
Alles Allerlei
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5 von 5 Steren
OH MY GISH
SO MANY NANA VIBES
!!!!
Rasha | رشا
عودا حميدا لانتاجات يازاوا ، التعابير والرسوم تذكرني بنانا وتؤلم قلبي لكن استمتعت بالفوليوم الأول :)
Kidrauhl
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is one of my favorite mangas. yukari was such a relatable character for me and she was very refreshing among the typical sugary shojo schoolgirls i was used to read about. yukari is really smart and she feels like a real person and not a stereotype. in fact, all of the character feel that way despite fitting into some. miwako is one of the cutest characters ever. george is really weird and twisted and i can never figure him out, but i guess thats the way he supposed to be. but he's very cha ...more
Mazohyst
August 9, 2014

I decided to reread this series again. I'm not sure why. Okay, just kidding. I totally know why. I read this article: Paradise Kiss and the Art of Self Deprecation and wanted to revisit Yukari's relationship with George. Not much has changed in the three years since I first read this, but I'd like to analyze their relationship with a clearer head and without being so emotionally attached to the characters.

I'm still entranced by Yazawa's cute and quirky art style. I'm still in love
Meghan
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls looking for some good manga
Shelves: manga, read-2010
When I researched this manga, I heard that it's about fashion and modelling and such. It didn't sound like something I'd be too interested in, but being new to manga anyways, I thought I'd give it a try. And whoa. I am so glad I did.

Paradise Kiss is about a girl named Yukari Hayasaka. She's very studious and spends mostly all her time studying for college. One day, she is spotted on the street by the members of Paradise Kiss, a group of designers from a local arts high school. She is taken to th
Fenny Wong
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, fashion, romance
After reading so much shoujo mangas.... I actually find this one series appeal to me the most. Not only because I really liked fashion, but the bittersweet love really got into me.
The male lead character George was a very complex and interesting character --- so was the female lead Yukari. Don't expect the ordinarily-popular-handsome-smart-perfect pretty boy like in other mangas, George was different. He had his ambition, dream career, even his negative and dark sides when it comes to love.
The
Yue
It is an interesting manga, although I was expecting more of the world of fashion, which I guess it will be in the following chapters. Yukari is funny and kinda clumsy character, but she forgets too soon 'her true love' and falls rather quickly for George. The guys at the studio (the rocker, the loli, the drag) and George were OK. I think I liked the drag better as we do not get much about her.

Miwako looks so much like a little girl of 14-years-old it looks disturbing to read that she and the Ar
Feminist Shoujo: Feminist Shoujo Club Read #1 1 11 Jul 05, 2016 11:37AM

• Mars, Vol. 9
  • Tramps Like Us, Volume 2
  • Hot Gimmick, Vol. 7
  • Chobits, Vol. 4
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 (Nodame Cantabile, #1)
Ai Yazawa (矢沢 あい ,Yazawa Ai, born 1967-03-07 in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan) is a Japanese manga author. Her pen name comes from Japanese singer Eikichi Yazawa, of whom she is a fan.

Yazawa started her manga publishing life in 1985; throughout 15 years of publishing, she wrote over 10 series in Ribon. While most of her manga continues to be published in Japan by Shueisha, publishers of Ribon and Cookie

Paradise Kiss (5 books)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 2 (Paradise Kiss, #2)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 3 (Paradise Kiss, #3)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 4 (Paradise Kiss, #4)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 5 (Paradise Kiss, #5)
“Stop rushing me. I want to take my time falling in love with you.” 38 likes