Start by marking “What Happened to Marion's Book?” as Want to Read:
What Happened to Marion's Book?

What Happened to Marion's Book?

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Marion takes her beloved books everywhere she goes -- until one day she brings her book to the breakfast table. That's when things start to get messy. Through trial and error, and finally a lesson from the school librarian, Marion learns the proper way to care for books. Read the delightful story to your students and teach them good book care right along with Marion. Inclu ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Demco (Highsmith)

To ask other readers questions about What Happened to Marion's Book?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happened to Marion's Book?

Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
In terms of actual story, I would give this three stars. But it's the beginning of the school year and I'm teaching young elementary school students about book care. Four stars for the charming Marion, providing a good lesson about book care, and being just the right amount of silly. Recommended for elementary school librarians, especially those that are tired of Mr. Wiggle.
Emily
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story in this book is so didactic that it shouldn't work, but my younger students looove it. I always like to demonstrate Marian's solutions to the raspberry jam problem on an old, destroyed library book. The kids love cringing at how gross the book gets. Cheers, Marion the aspirational Librarian!
ckodama152
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Marion the hedgehog loves books. She has books of all kinds. She's so excited to start school so that she can grow up to become a librarian - "Marion the Librarian" has a nice ring to it. She is excited to learn that her new school has a library (called the Media Center) and that she can borrow two books every time she visits! One day, Marion is reading her library book at the breakfast table when she drops jam on it. You find out how Marion tries to clean her book before returning it to the Med ...more
Mrs. Wynn
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like to use this book with my primary classes at the beginning of the year. Poor Marion loves books and can't wait to go to the library, but no one has ever taught her how to take care of her own books. When she brings home her first school library book, Marion brings it to the table where she spills jelly on it. Her many tries to clean the page eventually result in all the print and pictures disappearing from the book. A sadder and wiser Marion must go to school and bring the book to her libr ...more
Mary
Adorable hedgehog Marion loves books and reading so much that her Nana says "she will surely grow up to be a librarian." One Saturday morning, Marian brings her library book to the breakfast table and spills raspberry jam on it. Marion knows that she isn't supposed to have her books on the table so she tries to fix this problem on her own. Unfortunately, her ideas of using toothpaste as a cleaner, giving the book a bath, and later throwing it in a washing machine only make the problem worse.

A ge
Karen
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Marion the hedgehog gets jam on her library book while eating breakfast. Her attempts at cleaning the book only makes things worse. She finally learns how to properly care for her books and pays for the damaged one. This is a cute story but I wish it focused more on the most common ways books are damaged, in order for me to use it for lessons. Instead it spends more time on Marion's attempts at cleaning it up.
A
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Okay story about a little Hedgehog girl named, Marion. She loves books and one day hopes to be a librarian. As it turns out, Marion is not very good at taking care of books. She ends up ruining a book from the media center at school and goes through a great deal of trouble to try and fix it. The school librarian tells her she must pay for the book and talks to her about how she will take care of library books in the future. Some librarian propaganda here.
Alexandria Hiam
Kara
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a book about how to take care of your library book. There are a lot of them around, and all elementary librarians read them out loud, but somehow Marion transcends the genre.
The kids love this story and ask to borrow it all year long. It's not spectacular but it's very honest, and it obviously rings a bell with them. It will also prompt a long conversation about what kind of animal Marion is (a hedgehog), and how she is different from a porcupine.
Matthew
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an okay start-of-the-year story and I understand the intent, but in other ways it felt like another talking animal life lesson story that I could take or leave. It was fun, but not a favorite. I did appreciate their use of the washing machine to clean up the book. How innovative and horrifying at the same time!
Allison
A little long for a read aloud but I'm going to make it work
Megengelter
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
info lit class -

how to care for a book - fiction
library lessons are in a pamphlet attached to inside of book

difficult to find - out of print? - ILL through Sno-Isle from Whitworth University Library
Amy Wadsworth
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Marion is a little hedgehog who needs to learn how to care for her library books! This book is great to help students learn about taking responsibility for the books they borrow from the library. A great read at the beginning of the school year.
Ashley-Marie
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very sweet book, and an excellent read for kids who have trouble keeping their books clean (we all know one of those...)
Natalie  Sapkarov Harvey
I give it 4 stars because it gets the "book care" message across to young students in a meaningful and interesting way. But yeah, it's a little cheesy.
Theresa
A good book for primary school children about the care of books.
Deirdre Elmansoumi
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great story for teaching young patrons how to take care of library books.
Stephanie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
An excellent book to use to show how to take care of books!
Travis
Apr 11, 2016 added it
I read this book at observation and it was in the media center and this story was a good book that teaches children about what and what not to do with books to keep them in good condition.
Kelly
Oct 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
My heart contracted so hard my whole body became concaved...good gracious!! Oh the judgement!
I truly hope no librarian would treat a child like this no matter what they did to a book.
Jessica
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book to teach students proper book care.
Julie
Good book on learning about taking care of books for little ones.
Justine Ridder
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dee's Collection
Angela
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book to use for a follow up lesson on book care.
PWRL
Mar 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Kendall
Oct 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education-books
Great for teaching kids how to handle books properly.
Laura G
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
About a young book-lover who learns how to care for books. Also great to use with class for predicting.
Suzanne
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Great for going over proper book care with kindergartners (and other elementary students).
Brierley
Jun 15, 2017
Sue
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-stories
I use it at the beginning of the year with 2nd graders to talk about book care.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »