Start by marking “IIM Ahmedabad Business Books: Day to Day Economics” as Want to Read:
IIM Ahmedabad Business Books: Day to Day Economics

IIM Ahmedabad Business Books: Day to Day Economics

The economy isn't just for the economics to debate on. All of us are affected by its ups and downs - global recession, rise in interest rates, or hike in food prices. But do we understand the principles at work and how and why they really affect us?

Day to day economics is an enjoyable, accessible, and extremely user-friendly book that explains modern day
Indian economy to
Published July 20th 2012 by Random House India

To ask other readers questions about IIM Ahmedabad Business Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about IIM Ahmedabad Business Books

Start your review of IIM Ahmedabad Business Books: Day to Day Economics
Kritika Swarup
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have always tried to understand and develop interest in Economics. All such efforts though, had been futile. While I did understand some removed concepts, but this book provided a thread linking all the concepts I knew and did it with a seamless skill.

The manner of explaining the concepts of inflation, economic growth, depression and position of India vis-a-vis the world is worded to make each statement pertinent and interesting. The author tries to remove the illusion of economics being a com
Mehernosh Sanjana
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: economics
Good book and very informative. The book is small and of only 211 pages(latest edition) but if you decide to take up reading this book you will have to give it a lot of time, you cannot read it like a novel and read 1 hour everyday. You will need to read slowly and understand the concepts and you will have to pay attention when you're reading because in some chapters the concepts are like a chain, if you do not understand the first link you'll have a hard time understanding the next one. I've re ...more
Reader Boy
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
A good book for starters in Economics, but it could be a little bit more in depth covering other central ideas and issues in economics that are required on day to day basis like on taxation etc. Could have been way more better considering the fact that it is IIM-A brand book.
Suraj
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is by far one of the best books on economics, that I've read and didn't have to re-read it for a better comprehenion.
The book begins to explain about the possible consequences of private sector involvement in sectors such as electricity and Defence and Education. Why lighthouses are managed by the government and why the supply of potable water is managed by a PSU.
It covers myriad topics be it Fiscal and Monetary Policy of the Indian government, reasons for bumps and sags in the GDP, wh
Raghavendra
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, slowly we gain inquisitiveness around the functioning of the government and economy related to us. Every Feb, adults all around you stay glued to the TV. You try your best to follow it but the financial jargon thrown just hits you in the face. Fiscal deficit, repo rate and what not! You try to read the economic section of the paper and all that too is Greek and Latin! Nominal GDP growth rate, inflation etc.How we wish that someone would explain these terms from the very basics to us. ...more
Karthick
This is another wonderful and informative book after Roopa Pai's - 'So you want to know about economics'. I would say its level 2 book on economics.

You cannot omit even a single page. Terms, definition, explanation - everything you have.

Author highlights a very important thing that is we all specialize in our own area of interest and profession like engineer, doctor, lawyer, teacher, manager etc. but irrespective of it, we rarely get time to focus on economics. I would say Economics is a mandato
Nithesh
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent primer on basic economics. The writer does not bore the reader in an part of the book. Best summary in the author's own words would be, "Like Adi Shankaracharya's quick attempt to understand the life of a householder, reading this book can be your quick attempt to get up close and personal with economics."
Shreyas Divan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A small, easy read for introducing basic macro terms, especially the ones you find popular during the annual Indian financial budget presentation period.
Kumar Anshul
I have bought the entire boxset of IIM A books (A set of 5 books) and this was the first book that I picked up. The book is small (only 211 pages) but is an honest attempt towards making a layman understand the practical meaning of economics jargons and their relevance in current Indian scenario.

Economics is largely been considered an esoteric as well as a prosaic subject. Add to it the multitude of expressions that are unique to this subject, and it almost becomes a topic that many people are w
Parth Agrawal
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Imagine that you are going through any daily activity such as buying pulses in a store and trying to comprehend why is it more expensive than yesterday or wondering looking at the news headlines as to why the government is announcing welfare schemes or why an international organization is dictating what should be the global practices regarding agriculture and trade related activities, this is the book you need. The unique quality of this book is that it makes you feel as if economics is not an e ...more
Dhruv Sharma
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A good book to understand economics basics. The beginning of the book is awesome and first 50 pages will just make you stick to the book as the real life examples used by author to give examples of why things are like that simply amazing.

The books gives us the knowledge of basic functions of government, Government budget and how it affects us, The knowledge about banks, fiscal policy, monetary policy.

Written in the context of Indian economy, book provides details about what the terms GDP, FDI, C
Deepak
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian
This book has helped me in understanding some less understood but very commonly encountered words like inflation, recession, fiscal policy, monetary policy and lot more concepts that have made me still more curious about this largely discussed but less understood subject that is ECONOMICS.
The good thing about this book is that you would just have to pick it once and then it's so lucidly laid out that you will keep it only when you are somewhat enlightened and lot more curious about day to day EC
Ajinkya Jadhav
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the first books to read to get your basics of economics in place.
S.Ach
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A ready reckoner and a wonderful rookie's guide for day to day economical terms we find in Indian business dailies.
Gopala Krishna
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Being a newbie this book helps to gain the knowledge in economics involved in day to day routine. Evolution of WTO from GATT. Best book to get meanings of economic terms used in business news.
Siddharth Sharma
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Economics hadn't been so easy before.
Vijay V
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laxman Selvam
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just grab this book and start reading.
This, as the author calls it, is a rookie's guide into the world of 'Rules or management of a household', that is, Economics.
Not one action of yours is unrelated to economics. There could be, infact, are, thousands living on streets just because you own 50 acres of land (agricultural or non-agricultural). There are people dying to make ends meet because you could be grabbing onto those things which morally should be distributed among the less privileged.
Th
Akshay Prasath
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Day to day Economics is an extremely easy-to-read book which touches on certain macro- economic phenomena pertaining to India. The author does an incredible job of making such a complicated topic interesting and simple to the audience by taking out the math out of it. The chapters provide you with enough information to understand the economics of the scenario with examples from the real world and could be used practically. The chapter on the government budget especially made it easier for me to ...more
Tushar
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found the book to be engaging, and the ideal summary I was looking for pertaining to the Indian Economics. Clearly, this is not the only book I intend to read or have read in the recent past, and in terms of facts, the book had nothing new to offer, and yet, despite all of it, it made for a very insightful read. Some of the concepts relating to inflation, recession, and stock markets were explained pretty well. This book is recommended for anyone with the slightest interest in Indian Economics ...more
Tarun Bahuguna
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great Work!

Economics is quite an interesting topic as it is more or less related to money. But the topic itself is quite boring when it comes to learning through books.

Mr. Deodhar comes up with an interesting work that decodes the basic economics concepts which feels like walk in the park while reading it. I enjoyed the book and recommend it to any beginner who seeks a keen guidance on the subject.

And yes economics is not only money its a heck of more than that.
Abhishek Anand
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
A easy to understand book which familiarizes one with smith's and Keynes of the world. Strongly recommend for someone who is looking for an introduction to the world of economics and understand the language of various news papers or even articles. I am curiously looking forward to this years budget with the hope of deciphering it with the leanings from this book. Definitely going to check out more from this publication house.
Anoop
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
you can rename this book as "A rookie's guide to the world of Economics". Economics is considered by many as an elusive knowledge irrespective of the fact it plays a vital role in every instances of one's daily routine. This book is an excellent attempt to elucidate the concepts of economics for the layman and encourages him to explore the intriguing world of Economics.
Tanya Jain
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, written in a simple language, easy to understand. And it is great for those who are newcomers in the field of Economics, this book will make them aware about the very basics of it. It explains the terms we come across in day-to-day life like inflation, stock market etc. In short it is a perfect read for those who likes economics and want to know more about it :)
Tushar Gupta
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for beginners.
Maulik Balar
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent book for a rookie. Must read for every MBA aspirant.
Neha Inaskar
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must read by the beginners if really wanna know the basics.
HEMANTKUMAR SUKHDEVE
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Basic consepts of Economics are very well elaborated....
Abhishek Tomar
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn Economics from scratch this is the right book for you. The concepts are brilliantly explained by suitable examples from our day to day life.
Sonu Kumar
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is very informative and good book about economics. I have a little bit knowledge about economics but when I read this book, my some doubts are cleared and i learn many concepts regarding economics like concept of comperative advantage (this issue is addressed by David Ricardo),
Which countries would export which commodities and which factors of production would benefit from trade (this issue were addressed by two economist- Eli Heckscher and Bertail Ohlim. This is also known as factor o
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How to Start Business in India Market 1 5 Apr 10, 2018 12:16AM

• India Unbound: The Social and Economic Revolution from Independence to the Global Information Age
  • The CEO Factory: Management Lessons from Hindustan Unilever
  • India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy
  • Word Power Made Easy
  • The Rudest Book Ever
  • So You Want to Know About Economics
  • Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
  • How to Avoid Loss and Earn Consistently in the Stock Market: An Easy-To-Understand and Practical Guide for Every Investor
  • Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty
  • The Third Pillar: How Markets and the State Leave the Community Behind
  • Simply Fly
  • The Habit of Winning

News & Interviews

“Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation.’ —MILTON FRIEDMAN” 1 likes
“The state collects tax for the greater welfare of its citizens in the same way as the sun evaporates water only to return it manifold in the form of rain.’ (Ch.” 1 likes