Start by marking “Born (Born, #1)” as Want to Read:
Born (Born, #1)

Born

(Born #1)

"It's us and them, Em. There are no regular people anymore."

Ten years ago when the world ended she ran for her life.

Five weeks ago the world she'd hidden from came knocking on the door of her secluded cabin.

Ten days ago she found salvation hiding amongst the dead.

Yesterday she went back for the living.

Today she wonders if she will live to see tomorrow.

What do you do when t
ebook, 1, 274 pages
Published September 19th 2012 by Tara Brown Publishing (first published September 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Born, please sign up.
Dorothy I would have allowed my daughter to read it. Reluctantly due to violence, but, that is really no worse than what happens in real life.

Booknut
Welcome to the unofficial Hunger Games - complete with a somewhat-stoic heroine, a love triangle from hell, striking socio-economic differences, blood, guts, more blood, and plenty of fire imagery.

In case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, let me do a checklist of Born components versus Hunger Games components:

- A dystopian Earth? Check
- A girl whose objective is to survive? Check
- Her father is dead? Check
- Girl is very handy with a bow and arrow? Check
- Girl falls for two guys? Check
- Girl
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I don't really think this is your typical zombie story...there isn't much of that in the book at all.

I would categorize this more of a dystopian with an annoying heroine.

Em can be annoying one minute and then a kick ass fighter, who constantly has my head spinning.

I enjoyed the story once I got past the short sentences and the rough reading flow.

Definitely a trilogy I want to know more about. Off to the next one!
Sheradyn
★/★★★★★

This review can also be found here at my blog as well as many other reviews!

Currently on Goodreads, Born has a 4.11 average rating. . . 4.11 . . . how?

Born is about a girl named Emma who has lived since she was 9 by herself in a world with the infected, gangs, and her timber wolf. She meets a bunch of boring people and they all instantly become best friends. No joke. They then continue on to do a bunch of other stuff like free a breeding camp and whatnot.

~Warning, before reading, this rev
Ornella (Nyx)
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of things going for it, like the characters, the premise, the action, and just the awesomeness of Emma. The downside: the romance...

Emma is an incredibly strong character, she does what needs to be done, she survives at all costs, she is fierce and she is loyal, but unfortunately when it comes to relationships, it just isn't gonna happen.

She has been alone for the majority of her life so it stands to reason that the girl is a bit of an antisocial, which is fine, my problems
Theresa Davis
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, dystopian
I have to admit that I got the book because it was free and really didn't think it would be good but I love dystopian books. I LOVED it!!! And I cannot wait for part 2. The Characters are all great. Poor Emma has no really social because she was a lone for so many years, it’s us and them. When you throw in Anna (who is sweet and strong), Jake (no survival skills but is funny and caring) and Will (who is not sure how to treat Emma but knows he want to protect her) you have an interesting and funn ...more
Raquel Valldeperas
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Got this for FREEEE! on Amazon today

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

REVIEW

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This book had so much potential. I'm going to make this review short, because, well, I just don't feel like dragging it out.

The things I liked: The characters, for the most part. They made decisions based upon their previous decisions, unless they experienced some growth which was done realistically and subtly. It wasn't an overnight thing for Emma to suddenly have feelings for human beings, just like it wasn't a blink of an eye thing for Will to reali
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards
I got this one for free and it's way better than I thought it would be. Nothing spectacular or original but plenty of moments of entertainment. You have to be in the mood for adventure, mystery and the dreadful love triangle. I hate love triangles, but in a way it wasn't that bad. I'm continuining with the series and I'm reading more of this author.
Angela
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay,.. so I was on a total reading binge this weekend and hooked up with my girl Tara Brown and her kick-ass story telling. (Shoot me, i had a husband free weekend and an entire weekend by myself and enjoyed every second of it)
Born,.. what can I say about this book to adequately say all that needs to be said about the beginning of this series. I don't know if i can and give it the review it deserves.
What i can say is that Ms. Brown created a world (a bit like the walking dead series and a smid
Sabrina Riley
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If some crazy stuff happens and we arrive at "the end of the world as we know it," I hope I meet someone like Emma.

Strong, capable, smart, with a hint of empathy and heart, she goes from being not much more than a loner (with a freaking amazing animal friend) in a world with little hope to a savior, leader, and hero. And the best part is that she does it for only one reason, unlike so many female leads in stories in this genre: because it's the right thing to do.

That's not to say there isn't a
Hollie
I can't believe I read this whole thing. I should have declared it a DNF. I was looking forward to a book with a tough heroine fighting her way through the apocalypse. While Em was a badass (although to the point of being unrealistic), the plot was ridiculous (and skipped around with huge gaps), the characters are repulsive, and the writing style was lacking. Throw in a love triangle amongst brothers, insta-love (twice), and a cliffhanger ending and this is what you get. A total clusterfuck. Not ...more
Bonnie
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book started great and had such promise the world building was interesting Em and Leo where kick arse and the whole farm house set up was great then we meet jake and Anna and i like them, the story is still coasting along as it should. Then about half way in stupid shit started happening. These are a few of the things I had a problem with;

The love triangle..actually square. It is not ok to tag guys along. girls don't like it so why would a guy? And their brothers no less. Em had no real rea
Becky
Mar 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really, REALLY wanted to love this book, but I made it a third of the way through (my minimum for rating a book) and had to give up. My main reason for slogging through that much of it was the protagonist, Emma, who is bad. ass. I love her. She might get scared, but she's tough as nails and keeps going. I also loved the world building: Emma's post-apocalyptic world is gritty, tense, and creepy.

So why did I abandon it? Easy: not enough proofreading. The book reads like a second, maybe third, d
(Source: Downloaded for free from amazon.co.uk.)

This was a really good zombie/post-apocalyptic story, and there was plenty of action!

I liked the characters in this, but boy did they get into trouble a lot! Considering that Emma had survived on her own for 10 years, she suddenly got herself into situation after situation, and got plenty of scrapes and gunshot wounds too.

The storyline in this was good, and there was plenty of action. The characters just went from one bad situation to the next, bar
Abbie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good read!

I liked Emma, but her indecisiveness about which boy she wanted to be with could be a bit annoying. I liked most of the other characters too.

There was loads of action in this, so i didn't feel bored once. Emma was a magnet for trouble, and she went from one bad situation to another!

Overall, A great apocalyptic read.
Looking forward to see what happens next!
♥ Marlene♥
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer. read my p.s 2 before reading my rant.

Pissed off cause I have decide a while back not to read a book of a series that is not done. I am very forgetful so when book 3 comes out and it has been a year or more, it means I have to re read book 1 and 2.

I checked and on amazon I noticed book 1 and 2 were out and book 3 would be out on July 15. So I thought yes I can safely give this series a try.

To discover that coming book is one of those stupid shorties. Another trend of late. The YA adu
Mylin
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars. Oh, sweet Jesus have mercy.
This book has been recommended on my Kindle quite a bit so I decided why not.
I'm actually sad I wasted precious reading money on this.
The plot kind of moved fast. First it was surviving by herself; then learning to be with people and think of others; then she risked her life to help them, gets separated and runs into their thought-to-be dead brother. Then she catches feelings for both of the boys despite one being 7 years older than her!!! I give up!

Along
Rebecca Partridge
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Post zombie apocalypse survivalist adventure is not typically my genre of choice, but WOW! Of course, it doesn't start out like this. The initial premise is an odd young woman living alone in a bunker, and over time you're fed the disturbing details, and before I knew it....completely couldn't put it down!
After reading Born I logged into the Kindle storefront and ordered EVERYTHING ELSE Tara Brown has written. She kept surprising me and just like the main character, Emma, I couldn't stop lo
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This is probably the shittiest dystopia I ever read.

While main character Emma initially seems to be a complex, developed character, she's quickly reduced to her conflict between two brothers. Will and Jack fall neatly into the bad boy vs. good boy love triangle. They're both fairly shitty, to be honest, but Will is an actively abusive asshole. He's truly one of my least favorite romantic interests.

The worldbuilding is also incredibly vague. I'm not sure anyone went beyond "ZOMBIES!!!" when thi
Megan Thomason
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend...a bargain at a buck. Lots of action/definite page turner. Minor quibbles over the instalove with brother #2 (and later explanation for that) and some editing issues (minor & only a handful). I did really like the main character though--quirky, tough and flawed.
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
Mother Earth probably just wants us gone-us and our evil.
I don’t think there’s any good left in us anyway.
Every decision I make out here pushes me one step further away from good. Sometimes I don’t recognize myself out here. I get lost in surviving and forget to just be a girl. A girl Granny and my dad could be proud of.

***

One of my most favorite types of reads are the zombie/apocalyptic. Having already read and loved Brown’s Seventh Day series, I gave BORN a go and I am absolutely gaga over
Resch Reads
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So I have been avoiding this book for some time because I have a serious love/hate relationship with Tara Brown. Her writing is phenomenal and she is truly one of my favorite authors; however, she always guts me, shocks me, and breaks me down before giving me an ending. I finally took the plunge and the only negative I found was a love triangle. Not really a fan of the who will she end up with game because knowing there are 3 books and an alternative ending means I am going to need to read them ...more
Celestine
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
Since I enjoy dystopian fiction, this "YA" title landed on some to-read lists. Are there elements of this book that are young adult? Yes - especially Emma's naivete and reactions to encountering the first young men of her life. Plus, most of the main characters are in the 15-25 age range and there is an animal sidekick. Emma is 19. However, there are decidedly adult themes, including sexual assaults - in a variety of forms for a variety of characters - that should give pause to some readers/pare ...more
Erika Lynn
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
So as I was browsing through Amazon I came across a different book by Tara Brown and it hit me, "Why does she sound so familiar?" So I immediately jump to Goodreads trying to figure it out. I don't remember authors names unless they influence me in some way. In other terms, unless their book(s) are GOOD! I knew, as soon as I saw the cover for this book, that I hit a gold mine. Why oh why have I not read the remaining books in the series? Well, simple, because I wasn't as much of a bookworm back ...more
Tara
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the original Born, and the newly re-edited Born (May 14, 2014), and I love the additions and minor changes included. I felt it added a lot to an already great story. Tara Brown does a fantastic job describing this new world, and all the dangers in it. Makes you wonder -- which is worse, humanity or the infected?

When I find a book I want to read, there are some things I scan reviews to find out. I’ve outlined what I often like to know up-front in hopes that it can be helpful for you as
♥ Sarah
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This isn’t my first brush with indie-YA/NA dystopia. But it is my first Tara Brown book. I didn’t know quite what to expect, but for $1 on amazon, I figured I’d give it a try.

First, the story is told in third person narrative, but focuses primarily on Emma. I don’t want to rehash the summary, but I liked the way the story was told. The survival element was spot-on, and the level of suspense exceeded my expectations. And I was fairly pleased with the ‘dystopian’ elements, and world building.

How
P.A. Warren
I was given a copy of Born For an Honest Review.

Born is the Story of Emma and her surviving in a world where it ended and something horrible began.There are those that are evil and she has learned to survive on her own.Jake and Anna are brought into her life by Jake having an accident and Suddenly Emma is thrust in a world that isn't so solitary.She even meets Will down the road who is Jake and Anna's long lost brother.The others are zombie like creatures(I liken them to The Walking Dead guys)
Becky
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
When the infection hit Emma was only a little kid but her dad knew something like this was going to happened so her trained her in every way possible. Emma has lived on her own for 10 years with her pet wolf. She's strong and brave and can do everything from hunt for food or stitch a wound up. She hasn't had any human contact in 10 years so when a young girl name Anna and her brother Jake enter her life she's weary of them. Soon they find a way into her heart and when Anna gets took and sent to ...more
Dale Rutter
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spoilers in this review!
It was very close to being a five star for me. Very close.
I can't fault the writing, it was really great writing that gripped me from the off. The story itself gripped me from the off too; a girl of 19 living on her own for 10 years in a post apocalyptic world–what's not to like.
It was great, a girl struggling to come to terms with the world as well as trying to grow up. She was told by her father to run and that is exactly what's she done. No human interaction at all.
Emma B
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I'd give this book either a high 2 or low 3. It had really good bits, but also bits that made me want to scream. Initially, I liked Emma, but her behaviour about Will and Jake irritated me. You can't just randomly state that you love a person after two minutes of knowing them. You can't just randomly state that you hate someone then be all lovey dovey with them four seconds later. Plus, her reactions to things were not sane or reasonable a lot of the time. Also, all the males in this book apart ...more
Sherry
This and other reviews can be found on my blog: http://shehasaknackforit.blogspot.com/

Well, this is clearly a self-published book. Nothing wrong with that, but it could do with some polishing up, more drafts, some editing, etc...

This book definitely felt a little rough to me, especially in the beginning on of the book. The first few paragraphs didn't suck me in right away and I was a little confused about what the story was about. I should have some inkling within the first chapter, not everythi
YA Book Gang!!: Born, By: Tara Brown *Spoilers* start: April 1 108 54 Apr 19, 2014 02:04AM

• Death (The Devil's Roses, #5)
  • Until the End (Quarantined, #1)
  • After the Fear
  • Rogue (Exceptional, #2)
  • Hold Me (Life After the Outbreak #3)
  • Disarming (The Vampires of Vegas, #2)
  • Taking on the Dead (Famished #1)
  • Solstice
  • The Scourge (Brilliant Darkness, #1)
  • The Human (The Eden Trilogy, #2)
  • Zoo (The Enclosure Chronicles, #1)
  • Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2)
  • Bluewing (The Frost Chronicles, #4)
  • Love in the Time of the Dead (Dead Rapture, #1)
  • Haven (Apocalypse Chronicles, #1)
  • Darlings of Decay
  • Daynight (Daynight, #1)
I am the mother of two beautiful girls who are growing up so fast, the wife of a cute guy in a uniform (my own personal hero), and a writer.
My family will tell you it doesn't exactly fall into that order. Especially around dinner time when I "Cook" from a takeout menu with my face plastered to my computer.
I also have two cats who I adore more than I should, like more than people I know, and two do

Born (3 books)
  • Born to Fight (Born, #2)
  • Reborn (Born, #3)
“I don't need to be saved. I'm the hero of my own story.” 11 likes
“The world sits quiet, as if sighing and taking a long inhale after what seemed like forever with mankind and the noise pollution.” 6 likes