Start by marking “The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)

The Woman Who Died a Lot

(Thursday Next #7)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  12,765 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews
The Bookworld's leading enforcement officer Thursday Next is four months into an enforced semi-retirement following a near fatal assassination attempt. She returns home to Swindon for what you'd expect to be a time of recuperation and rest. If only life were that simple. Thursday is faced with an array of family problems - her son Friday's lack of focus since his career in ...more
Published July 12th 2012 by Hodder

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Died a Lot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Died a Lot

·  12,765 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews

Start your review of The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)
Mario the lone bookwolf (semi reviewing hiatus )
This series was always amazing and ends magnificent, so why are publishers afraid of giving more progressive, fresh authors a possibility to make the lives of all reading beings more delightful?

The final part gives a pretty good answer to this question, relating to the National Stupidity index that gives the Goliath corporation immense power over the already weak CommonSense party. Satire and reality are fusing more and more, sometimes its difficult to differentiate, remember, and realize what
Dan
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jasper Fforde has built one of the most intriguing and thoroughly odd worlds in his alternate Earth within his Thursday Next series. Unfortunately, the very strengths of that fully developed world are transmogrifying into a weakness that threatens the series.

It's a case of too much. In The Woman Who Died a Lot, the wackiness of the world becomes too much for the narrative to sustain, and while the series has always felt like Fforde is barely controlling the craziness, he loses that control
David Baldacci
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another entry in Ffordes incomparable Thursday Next series. Jasper Fforde has one of the most vivid imaginations of all time -- like J.K. Rowling on steroids. ...more
sj
You know, I keep thinking I'm going to be able to write this review, but I still don't know exactly what I want to say about it yet.

It's probably my favourite so far of the Thursday Next series, which kind of surprises me, seeing as how it has so little of the things I generally love the most about these books.

(view spoiler)

Now, I get that there's a reason for that, and the way it was explained made complete sense.

The thing that
Carmen
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book-lovers
Book #7 in the Thursday Next series. Not a stand-alone, I highly recommend reading the other books before this one.

Thursday Next remains one of my favorite fictional female characters. A 56-year-old, who is disabled, a gun-carrying war veteran, a wife and mother, and...someone who has the ability to transport into books and back out again. I adore the fact that Fforde has allowed Thursday to age: in the first book she's 36, and now (6 books later) she's 56.

Highlights: a man who has passages of
Chris
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading the Thursday Next books for more than a decade, and have greatly enjoyed my travels with Thursday. The early books seemed to have four things which made them quite enjoyable--a feisty protagonist, biting satire of modern life, a wide ranging yet well written plot filled with dozens of characters, and most importantly references to an entire library full of books in Bookworld which made every in-joke you got a good laugh and every one you didn't made you want to run to the ...more
Terence
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
The Woman Who Died A Lot is the seventh book in the Thursday Next series and proves to be another enjoyable visit to the book-obsessed alternate Earth of Swindon, where the enforcement arm of the Library Service agitates for permission to conduct dawn raids to retrieve overdue books, and all of the Services members would die to protect any book in the library (except for those bloody awful Emperor Zhark novels and anything written by Daphne Farquitt). There are a number of stories going on in ...more
Malcolm
Ive enjoyed the Thursday Next series since encountering her in the wonderful The Eyre Affair 10 years ago despite my worry that Fforde had read rather too many classics, pulp police procedurals and postmodern theory which he seemed to weave together through a slightly absurd public school/Oxbridge wit. Hits his stride again here after what seems like a bit of a detour in One of Our Thursdays is Missing, despite its verve, wit, meta-fictional commentary and freshness. The last Thursday Next ...more
Bettie
Aug 29, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
'I think it's an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard'

Dedication:

To all the librarians
that have ever been
ever will be
are now
this book is respectfully dedicated

Everything comes to an end. A good bottle of wine, a summer's day, a long-running sitcom, one's life, and eventually our species. The question for many of us is not that everything will come to an end, but when, and can we do anything vaguely useful until it does?

5* The Eyre Affair
5* Lost in a Good Book
5* The Well of Lost Plots
5* Something
Melissa McShane
I love the Thursday Next series, but wasn't as fond of this one. Probably I'll like it better the next time I read it, but I'm not sure; the ending seemed a little contrived, or at the very least rushed. Although Fforde sets up the denouement throughout the book, the fact that it involves not only new characters but also a hitherto unknown organization makes it feel forced.

Aside from this, the storyline with Thursday's son Friday trying to change his destiny was really good. I especially liked
R.S. Carter
As usual, loved it! This time, we are back in the real world (albeit an alternate reality) with Thursday Next, renowned literary detective, as she faces a number of complicated issues.

First, the Almighty has finally revealed His presence and resigns Himself to the destruction of wayward mankind on a regular basis. Swindon is scheduled for an almighty smiting on Friday at noon unless Thursday can stop it.

Thursday's genius daughter Tuesday is currently working on a smite shield to save Swindon.
Oriana
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
ZOMG a new Thursday Next book!! And I was lucky enough to score a proof at a teeny secondhand bookshop upstate!!!

I will tell you this right now: I just got back from a 10-day vacation. I have gallons of emails to answer, scads of laundry to do, and an entire apartment to clean before I go back to work tomorrow, yet I am still going to spend at least a half hour finishing this book with a cup of coffee before I do any of it.

***

And I did! And it was soooo worth it, even though, exactly a week
Jeff
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, owned
In my opinion, this is Jasper Fforde back at his marvellous best.

I will, however reluctantly, admit that I found the previous Next tale - One of Our Thursdays is Missing - just a little flat. I'm not sure even now that I can quite put my finger on why and it's not as if it was a poor effort; it just didn't meet the expectations that JF has caused me to have.

This book, though, places any loss of form firmly into the past. The Bookworld is, this time, of peripheral interest only; it's not giving
Kyrie
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, adventure
I think this is the best Thursday Next novel. Clones in tupperware. Armed library agents (better make sure I return my books on time). Libraries named like football stadiums. It made me laugh - a lot.
Jaylia3
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its 2004 in the alternate Britain of the now semiretired literary detective Thursday Next, and shes getting older54but as her husband Landon tells her, when weird comes knocking gray hairs count more than the lost physical prowess shes mourning. Weird, ironic, and mind-bendingly wonderful is of course exactly what you get in a Thursday Next novel. Ive loved just about all of Jasper Ffordes books, but the Thursday Next series is my favorite by far and even in that group this new one is stellar.

Kathleen Lenihan
I love Jasper Fforde and Thursday Next, otherwise why would I have read this book? That said, the last two books in the series have left me less than satisfied. In One of our Thursdays is Missing, the plot takes place almost entirely in BookWorld with the protagonist being the written Thursday. In TWWDAL, we have a book that takes place entirely in the "real" world. In the former, I missed the real Thursday, and in the latter, I missed the whimsy of BookWorld. Something in the recipe of each is ...more
Peter Tillman
No idea how I missed this one. Here's my pal Susan Stepney's take:https://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan...
"This is the usual wonderful lunacy we have come to expect and love. Everything is tied up together --- the imaginary friends, the dodos, the toast, the car, the tattoo, and Thursday's multiple deaths --- in a big temporal paradox bow. What I love is how everyone treats the bizarre events as down to earth normality --- because for them it is all normal. Barmy, and brilliant."

Wow, $12 Kindle!
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I am so glad I decided to re-read the whole Thursday Next series instead of directly diving in The Woman Who Died a Lot! By the time I started reading this last instalment I was completely immersed in Thursday's world and felt like it was my own:)

Some reviewers seem to think Fforde has gone a bit overboard here as (they say) there is too much craziness and too much wackiness. Well, that is exactly why I love this series so much and why it is so different from other series/books. I actually think
Paul
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2014
Back in the real world, Thursday Next is recovering for the injuries that happened at the end of the previous book. The GSD (Global Standard Deity) has threatened to smite Swindon, and the only person capable of stopping this is her daughter Tuesday. Her arch enemy, Aornis Hades has escape from the time loop she is stuck in and has planted a mind worm in the family that makes them think that they have a third child, Jenny.

The Goliath company now control the police and Spec-Ops, and are looking
Ashley
This wasn't supposed to be the last book in the Thursday Next series, but it works as a good finale anyway. (Someday we might get Dark Reading Matter? Who knows what Fforde will do next.)

I liked this much better than the last one. Actually, I think it's my favorite in quite some time (not really sure, though, since it's been so long since I've read one through five). I was very relieved at the small presence of the Bookworld. I much prefer Thursday's adventures in the real world, and getting to
Stephen Richter
This one was completely crazy. Thursday Next is exited when she learns her old job may be reinstated but then everything goes haywire. Plus God has decided to bring back some good old
"Old Testament" smiting. It is best to just go with the flow on this one because as I wrote previously, it is crazy.
Simon
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This reached my home three weeks before going on holiday, and it took a lot of self control to leave it alone for that period. Worth the wait - both that short one and the much longer one since Thursday Next's previous outing. Jasper Fforde has lost none of his ingenuity, and none of his power to entertain. Inevitably there is a familiarity with the characters which the reader is assumed to have, but if you have that you will be delighted. He's just as funny as ever.

The plot is just too
Moira Russell
For some reason this didn't irritate me nearly as much as all the other ones did. Maybe I'm slipping.

This installment also felt more like sf than literary fantasy; and a lot more like a kind of stopgap between the frantic adventures of the last one and the no doubt frantic adventures of the upcoming Darkest Matter exploration. Lots of explanation, lots of theories, lots of wrapping-up. A lot fewer literary in-jokes, a lot more earnest overexplaining of how stuff works, more satire, more time
Gabrielle S
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, e-books, netgalley
4.5 Stars but I don't give out many five star reviews. This was fantastic. As a librarian I love the alternate version of librarians that Fforde has created. This book unlike the earlier ones was set in the real world not in Book World and while I suspect that that might bother some people I liked it. Thursday's real world is a little insane too.

There is resolution to a lot of things that happened earlier which is nice because I was wondering whether those things would get resolved.
Kathy Davie
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Seventh in the Tuesday Next fantasy series about a secret agent-type librarian willing to take on megalithic corporations intent on ruling the world through books. Greed. Money. Power. Books.

MY TAKE
I really don't recommend diving into this without having read at least a few of the earlier Thursday Nexts. (Start with The Eyre Affair ---Jane Austen lovers may riot or embrace its nonsense, but y'all won't be bored!)

The first half was bloody confusing. And it's totally fantastical, odd, crazy, and
Geertje
I truly love this series so much. The Jenny storyline was very well done. It's a serious bummer that Fforde hasn't written the final book yet (though I saw on his website that it is a project he plans to get to relatively soon).
Sparrowapril
He needs to hurry up and write more.
Mimi
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Time spent with Thursday Next is always enjoyable and the plus is that there was an Eleanor of Aquitaine joke. Be still my heart.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Thursday Next and I have been on quite the journey in the last week or so. As I've mentioned, I have generally either not much liked or nigh loved all of the prior Thursday Next books. The Woman Who Died a Lot finally proves that I can actually like two Thursday Next books in a row, so huzzah for that. While this one did not entertain me quite so much as 1, 4, and 6, I found it a solid read without any slow spots.

This Thursday Next book starkly stands out from the rest. The entirety of this book
Hanna
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published on Booking in Heels.

The Thursday Next novels have to be my all-time favourite series - what's not to love about a kick-ass woman who can jump into books? The last installment, One of Our Thursdays is Missing was a little bit of a let-down, but this latest installment more than makes up for it - a return to 'proper' Thursday Next!

I would love to know what exactly powers Jasper Fforde's imagination. Not only has be produced four different series of completely unique and absurd
Live Video Chat with Jasper Fforde 71 124 Nov 26, 2012 10:06AM
Free Books, .99, ...: Win a copy of The Woman Who Died a Lot! 4 84 Oct 04, 2012 07:02AM

• Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)
  • The First Book of Calamity Leek
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • What a Wonderful World: One Man's Attempt to Explain the Big Stuff
  • The Shell Country Alphabet
  • Captain in Calico
  • The Astonishing History of Troy Town
  • Eclipse Core (School of Swords and Serpents, #2)
  • The Kidnapper's Accomplice (Glass and Steele, #10)
  • Here Be Dragons
  • Tamburlaine Must Die
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
Fforde began his career in the film industry, and for nineteen years held a variety of posts on such movies as Goldeneye, The Mask of Zorro and Entrapment. Secretly harbouring a desire to tell his own stories rather than help other people tell their's, Jasper started writing in 1988, and spent eleven years secretly writing novel after novel as he strove to find a style of his own that was a ...more

Thursday Next (7 books)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • First Among Sequels (Thursday Next, #5)
  • One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)