Start by marking “Triple Your Reading Speed” as Want to Read:
Triple Your Reading Speed

Triple Your Reading Speed

This fourth edition of Triple Your Reading Speed does just that -- with self-quizzes and tests that make it fun and simple to acquire the skills that will give you an edge in school and on the job. The renowned Acceleread Method helps you to break old habits that may be slowing you down, and develop strategies for increased comprehension in less time, with
eye exercises to
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 432 pages
Published July 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 1988)

Brett Yance
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sure, you CAN read it all in one sitting, but to get its full worth, you'll need to come back to it daily - like learning guitar. It isn't fun, but it's definitely worth the five stars if you put the effort in.
Mike Gibbs
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a handy book for teaching techniques to speed up your reading speed. The author shares my disdain for "skimming" as a replacement for reading (He does agree that it has its place, just that it is not true "reading"). Cutler focuses on training your eyes to absorb more information and move fewer times as you read in order to increase the speed at which you absorb the words on the page. He accomplishes this through a variety of exercises and drills as well as by explaining some of the bio ...more
Adriana
I didn't do the practices on here which might make you shake your head at me but I have practiced accelerating my reading with a reading program. I actually did really well but not so well with actual books. The talk of eye movement has me sure of what I need to do. I think this was informative. It's better suited for those who need real practice. It's actually not that hard to increase your speed. You just need to work hard on it and be aware of yourself.
Chichipio
The drills for expanding vision span were incredibly helpful and I did notice a significant change in speed thanks to them.

However, that's all it really has to offer. Other common problems, e.g., subvocalization, are not addressed except to say "hey, don't do that," which is rather unhelpful since the fact that I'm reading this means that I know I'm not supposed to do it; what I don't know is how.
Nov 16, 2013 marked it as not-for-me
This book may be useful if you have the time and patience to do all of the drills. I worked with it for some time and apparently my reading speed did double but I do think it had more to do with starting and keeping up a meditation practice than anything else.

It may be worth a try. I do think the author's thought process and methodology are both good, and the book is readable and not as dry as you might think.
Mehran Jalali
I finished the book, but there are lot of activities that I need to get practice on. I'll practice for a month, then write a more comprehensive review. The content seems sensical.
Vivian
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Triple Your Reading speed taught how to expand your peripheral vision so that you can take in the whole line in one look at the center of the page. It had drills on expanding your line of vision. Dang hard! I guess I just have to practice more. It is a totally different method from the other book I got from the library - Remember everything you read. Also good. I still have one more book to read - Break Through Rapid Reading.
Vivacious
Mar 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: learning-theory
This author mentions that reading speed naturally increases as you increase the amount you read.
I don't like the methods she uses to teach speed reading, they remind me of a speed reading program we have, but it doesn't seem quite as effective as some other tactics.
Jeremy
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, textbooks
This book includes some really good tips on increasing your reading speed. I am up to 325 wpm. Honestly, I do not see how I can get my reading speed up any higher without losing a ton of comprehension. I guess some people can, just not me. :)
Brian
Feb 10, 2013 added it
I think this book had some good drills and techniques that it taught me. The last half of the book was all practice stories.
Patrick Brown
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Must read again and again. Good reference. Definitely improved my reading speed and comprehension. Great exercises to increase speed.
Cory
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We spend as much time in life reading as anything else, from articles to books to webpages. There is tremendous value in leveraging your ability to do so quickly.
Arun ks
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Practice is the key with the right approach
Mohamed Alsaid
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: skill-developing
the book is suitable for practice and raise your reading performance.
Muhammad  Karimov
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome, educational
Well as I had anticipated this book has really boosted my reading speed and be able to comprehend simultaneously. So far I am pretty much satisfied with results however I am intended to buy a hardcopy of the book and go over the process later on.
Hemlet Kiai
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mylibrary
good reading. will need to practise and change my reading habits to be able to accelerate my reading.
Abdullah
Aug 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
to much excersice section, not enough info!
Gandi
Dec 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Myth
Batzorig
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i wanna this book
Wenyi
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book advocates two principles: block reading and no (sub)vocalisation. It also suggests to set a goal (time/wpm) before starting to read anything.

The author believed that reading is for pleasure rather than learning, which could be evidenced by words on page 113:

"The successful Accelerated Reader is able to ... He has accepted, without reservation, the philosophy that the most important benefit of reading is the gaining of information, ideas, mental 'pictures', and entertainment - not the f
Jerauld
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
In graduate school I used to practice using some of the exercises in this book when I had a ton of reading to get done, and time was a factor. I thought of it as visual stretching before a workout.

Learning to take a larger horizontal and vertical visual "bites", learning to limit eye movements and to move between set "eye stops" and learning the difference between vocalizing and "sub-vocalizing" helped me finish graduate school and manage the demanding volume of reading it required of me.
Rue Koegel
The 1993 book is specifically relevant for paper book / text reading. But it's still handy for learning the basic concepts of speed reading, and increasing reading comprehension.

If you prefer digital media I'd try the 2003 version; which may or may not have more up to date techniques (like increasing the margins on an eBook reader to only have a 2 inch wide column of text).
Gerry Germond
Feb 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reference
The crux of this book is that you read faster by centering your eyes in the center of a page or column and develop your peripheral vision so that you can take in the whole column, or even two lines, at a single glance. This requires lots of practice in the book's drills. Couldn't get into it; there are other time-proven ways just as effective.
Ubaid Talpur
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I've red it but not applied would soon try book's cultre method of speed reading.
A very nice book must read who wish to increase their reading speed
Yassin Salama
It's a good book that show us how to be speed readers really, I found it very useful and I use it also as a reference in my research '' Introduction to Speed Reading''
Ada
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
That's very useful book, can teach you how to reading and when you finish your reading part, you can do some tasks to make sure you are really know!
Neowuf
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Direct to the point ! I recommend ! Drill are great exercise, I made my own chart tablet on open office to traine the drills on my pc.
Dibson
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely improved my speed, which is what is supposed to do. My average now is about 400WPM which is a lot better than the average average.
Dina Turner
Apr 08, 2015
Saad Alabdulwahed
rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2018
Readers For Life: Triple your reading speed!!!! 5 35 Mar 13, 2013 05:25PM
  • Breakthrough Rapid Reading
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Speed Reading
  • The Hunger Games: List of characters in the Hunger Games trilogy, The Hunger Games universe, Katniss Everdeen, etc
  • A Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America
  • The Borrowers Aloft: With the Short Tale Poor Stainless
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • Treasure of Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #3)
  • Princess in Peril (Reclaiming The Crown, #1)
  • The Royal Joust (Girls to the Rescue)
  • A Father's Promise
  • Shadows Beyond the Gate (Summerhill Secrets, #10)
  • Dr. Franklin's Island
  • Twelfth Prophecy (A.D. Chronicles, #12)
  • تطوير العقل : 52 فكرة رائعة للنبوغ الدائم
  • The Memory Book: The Classic Guide to Improving Your Memory at Work, at School, and at Play
  • Secrets of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightning Calculation and Amazing Math Tricks
  • The Actor's Art and Craft: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique
  • You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling