Start by marking “Scorched (Scorched, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scorched (Scorched, #1)

Scorched (Scorched #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  2,886 Ratings  ·  445 Reviews
Trinity
Don’t leave me here... It starts with a whisper. At first Trinity thinks she’s going crazy. It wouldn’t be a big surprise—her grandpa firmly believes there’s a genuine dragon egg in their dusty little West Texas town. But this voice is real, and it’s begging for her protection. Even if no one else can hear it...

Connor
He’s come from a future scorched by dragonfire. H
Published September 3rd 2013 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Scorched, please sign up.
Iris It's fast, thrilling and all about dragons and saving the world. It twists your mind, in a good way, and will keep you reading till late at night.

If…more

If you like dragons, romance and impossible choices, this is the book for you.(less)

Kat Kennedy
Scorched, the convoluted story about a girl who could start an apocalypse just by hatching a dragon. It’s a dragon apocalypse!

You know, I honestly don’t know why I picked up this book from my ARC stacks. I just felt like dragons. But I probably should have guessed, based on the dragon coping a feel of the the girl on the cover there, that this book wouldn’t be for me. I stuck with it, though, and gave it a fair shot. All the way to page 136 when I had to stop for my sanity’s sake.

So the writing
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Aug 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Mortal Instruments series and/or The Iron Fey series
Shelves: gave-up
WANTED: Good dragon book recommendations.

Like many people out there, I love dragons. It is the reason why I chose to read this book in the first place. Whether they're European dragons or Asian dragons, I love them all. From Avatar the Last Airbender, to How to Train Your Dragon, to Game of Thrones - they are BAMFs in my book. But I haven't read an awesome book about them ever since the fifth grade. (Thank you, Dragon Rider and Dealing with Dragons.) These are the books I know that has awesome d
Victoria Scott
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know those books where you finish it and afterward you want to shake people and scream, "Just read it!" That's about how I feel. From flesh and blood characters to perfect pacing, this book is a reader's perfect companion after a string of so-so books. When I first cracked the spine, I wasn't sure to expect, but Mancusi delivered action, romance, and creative storytelling throughout the entire ride. This is my first from Mancusi, but after reading SCORCHED, I'll certainly be going back to se ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2013 marked it as to-read
Terminator with Dragons???
 photo tumblr_inline_mhkfduLZiU1qz4rgp_zpsd95726e6.gif
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2016
DNF around 100 pages in. I just don't care. Everything about this screamed generic YA and I'm sick of reading the same thing over and over about teenage girls who are in serious danger, and yet all they can think about it how hot this guy is and I'm just over it. Props to whoever designed the book though, it's stunning under the dustjacket!
Mitch
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Is this Eragon?

Terminator with dragons meets Eragon is about right, but I do love my mash ups and this one ended up surprising.
~Tina~
To save the Fantastical Fossil museum from the overwhelming bills, Trinity Foxx's grandfather hopes that his latest discovery is just the ticket that will bring in an audience from around the world. Found trapped in a glacier in Antarctica, a golden egg was found. The last Dragon egg. Trinity, being a 16 year old teenager and the responsible one of the two, is skeptical of this new discover but when a voice inside Trinity's head seems to be linked to the egg, Trinity is intrigued but frightened ...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Thanks to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for giving me this book to review.

Trinity Foxx’s main worry is paying the bills and be able to stay with her grandfather, but then her grandfather uses money they desperately need, to buy what he believes is a dragon egg. She does not believe him until she keeps hearing a voice in her head, but she is not sure if it is coming from the egg or if she is going mad like her mothe
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
$1.99 Kindle today!
Farrah
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thrills, danger, secrets, betrayal, and a sprinkle of romance. Put those together, and we have this amazing book. Scorched was a brilliant YA paranormal romance! It had me on the edge of my seat and I enjoyed every bit of it. Loved it!

Trinity was a girl put in a situation way out of her element. Her biggest worries before were paying the bills and trying to make her grandfather's museum profitable. Then, she finds a dragon egg, bonds with the dragon, and is suddenly the linchpin in a possible fi
Kristi
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
fun read! i want a dragon!

full review to come.
Books
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2013
I can’t even begin to explain how excited I was when I finally received my copy of Scorched for review. Not only does it have an absolutely gorgeous cover, but dragons and time travel all in one story? Epic! Did it live up to my excitement and expectations? Yes…and no.

The first chapter jumps right into the action and thus I was hooked. Captivated even. Mancusi did the world-building for this book brilliantly. The same goes for character development. She brings fantasy into our world with a flou
Sam
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, read-2013
266/352
The Book: Scorched follows 16 year old Trinity who loves RPG's and helps keep her crazy grandpa’s museum opened. Her gramp's pulls a crazy stunt by buying a 'dragon' egg to put on display in his museum. Trinity is face palming and pissed. Until she hears a little voice in her head only she can hear. Turns out the dragon egg is really a dragon egg and she is mentally linked to it.

The Good: YA check, Dragons check

The Bad: Trinity is unoriginal. She is the same old goody-two shoes who likes
Andrea
1.5 stars or 1.75?? I love the cover. There are dragons, time traveling, twin brothers, twists and more…

I’ve never had this happen before. If I made a list of everything that happened I would say that should be an interesting, action packed and page turning story. I should love it. The problem is it was actually really boring. The plot and events that occurred was definitely YA, but the dialogue and all the writing felt like grade school. It was rather simple and didn’t hold my attention.

I reall
Megan Krogh
Oh my gosh I loved this book! I absolutely loved the characters and the plot! I can't wait to read the next book!!

description

I fucking hated this book. I feel like it was written by a five year old. The plot was so dumb and the characters were so annoying. I could not stand Trinity. Not only did I want to shoot her in the head, I wanted to shoot myself in the head to end my misery. Let my tell you why I hated it.

First, let's start with the dumb-ass heroine, Trinity. She was so dumb, annoying, and stupid. L
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I didn't really have any high expectations for this book. Sure, it has dragons, but I wasn't particularly fond of the author's other series. I am glad to say that I actually ended up really liking the story and the plot!

Trinity lives with her grandfather, who used to run a museum of fossils and other artifacts. Now, he has started added more unusual objects to the collection, like bigfoot dung, and the museum has been struggli
Ashley
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Scorched by Mari Mancusi - A Burning World

Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

4.5 Stars

I LOVED Scorched! Most of all, I adored the story. That's what rocked this book. I mean, dragons? DRAGONS!! YES! DRAGONS! There were just so many elements that appealed to me. The dragons (duh), the idea of a "chosen one", the time travel, the apocalypse, the goal to save the world.. all of it! It's the recipe for an awesome fantasy book.

Another thing I adored about Scorched was how the author wove fantasy and science fiction together. On the one ha
Farah Jay
Jun 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
Fantasy, dragons, and twin brothers? Who would say no?! Unfortunately, this book did not live up to it's expectations. Trinity, the main protagonist, is a 16 year old girl with no parents. She lives with her grandfather, who owns a museum and is on the verge of being broke. When her grandfather gets his hand of a mysterious egg, the museum gets broken into and Trinity is forced to protect the egg and go along with a stranger named Connor whom she just met. The book is somehow told from several P ...more
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any fan of Mari Mancusi
Shelves: read-in-2013
Originally posted at:
Nocturnal Predators Reviews

I had high expectations when I started reading this book since I love Mrs. Mancusi's Blood Coven Series. So no matter the story I will always compare any other series by her with the first series I read by her. With that being said, this book was a nice average. I got through it without complaining and it was a fairly quick read.

Trinity started off as a self centered too-dumb-to-be-believable character. She actually trusted a complete stranger who
Jenny
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scorched is a story that has our undivided attention from the beginning thanks its dragon-focused premise, dragons being a mythological creature that hasn’t quite yet taken the young adult fiction market by storm. As a result, an air of mystery is created for us readers before we even get to the first page, wondering how Ms. Mancusi is going to bring her beasts to life. Part of the appeal of this story aside from the creatures themselves is that Trinity’s world is in fact ours, no acclimation pe ...more
Tara Higgins
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading it for a second time, I think the book is 4.5 maybe 4 but I will leave the 5 star rating from 2 years ago.
Seeing Double in Neverland
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-wishlist
For Full Review go to http://seeingdoubleinneverland.blogsp...

5 out of 5 stars

This is a must read and you wont be able to put it down!
Lili
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't really know what to say about this book. I was expecting an amazing story. Dragons, hello! But, really, I ended up being disappointed more than anything else. I was considering giving this book a hesitant three stars, but I don't think it deserves it because too many cliches and unsolved plot points hindered this novel's brilliant plot from reaching any true potential.

The plot of this book was beyond amazing, I really loved it. It's not enough that a book evolving around dragons comes a
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Scorched by Mari Mancusi

First in a Young adult paranormal series. The first dragon egg is found and hatched in one timeline while in a future timeline scores of dragons have destroyed the human world. It’s now up to Trinity, Connor, Caleb and baby dragon Emmy to make the right choices to save the world.

A fast moving, exciting beginning to an adventure built on hope, positive morals and values.
And dragons. And realizing there may be more than one truth.
Not a cliff hanger, but definitely not the
Donna
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How did we end up here?

Aside from Mari and I being Lost Boys sisters and all, I got the most excellent pleasure of working with Mari and SCORCHED since before it was even due to her editor so it’s only natural that I follow it through from nearly the beginning all the way to its finished form. Plus, you know, dragons and a modern-day, non-child bride Khaleesi and all.

Okay, book. You've got 50 pages. Go!

I only had the chance to beta the first half of the book due to deadlines so getting through t
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it

This book is very difficult for me to rate, because my thoughts about it were all over the place. There were some things I really loved, and some other things that I really didn't love.

In the beginning, I was SO onboard for this book! I was absolutely loving it. I was hooked from the start and totally intrigued by the idea of it all. I found it very engaging, and I was sure this was going to be a 5 star book for me.

Somewhere along the way, my interest waned. A lot. The main thing that killed it
Nicole Wang
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Scorched was a bit disappointing for me. It was sort of Eragon meets Terminator and almost anything with dragons had to be good, right? Right?
Not necessarily.
The idea was absolutely intriguing and I loved the dragon parts and the worldbuilding, but the rest of this story just wasn't executed as well as I'd hoped.

The storyline, while absolutely genius at first, got a bit cliche and predictable in the second half. It was still very action packed (there's no doubting that!) but there were no unpred
Kristi
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I know a 3 star may seem "not so good" but it really was a good book. It just didn't jump out at me like I thought it would. I can see reading more by this author and finishing this series.

Trinity, Caleb, Conner, and Grandpa
Preston Leisure
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Preston Leisure #2 8/27 Scorched Mari Mancusi 314/314
Trinity, a sixteen girl, learns her grandpa bought the worlds last dragon egg. She finds Connor trying to steal it first as Caleb, Connors twin, break in to steal it, too. She learns from Connor that Caleb is trying to save the dragons and he is trying to kill them. Trinity doesn't know which brother to believe. Caleb kidnaps her and takes her to the Dracken Headquarters Connor comes with the police to save her. They save Emmy, Trinity's drag
Scorched dragons 4 16 Oct 08, 2015 12:08PM
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Slayers (Slayers, #1)
  • Extracted (The Lost Imperials, #1)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • A Wounded Name
  • Darker Days (The Darker Agency, #1)
  • Project Cain
  • Solstice
  • The Elites
  • The Princess in the Opal Mask (The Opal Mask, #1)
  • Mortal Fire
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Relic
  • Blurred (Kissed by Death, #2)
  • Revelations (The Elysium Chronicles, #2)
  • Smolder (Dragon Souls, #1)
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Relativity
Mari Mancusi used to wish she could become a vampire back in high school. But she ended up in another blood sucking profession --journalism -- instead. Today she works as a freelance TV producer and author of books for teens and adults.

When not writing about creatures of the night, Mari enjoys traveling, cooking, goth clubbing, watching cheesy horror movies, and her favorite guilty pleasure--vide
More about Mari Mancusi

Scorched (3 books)
  • Shattered (Scorched, #2)
  • Smoked (Scorched, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“I'm going insane. That's the only explanation for any of this. I'm going insane and the men in white coats will be showing up at any moment to tell me this has all been a psychotic delusion. They'll take me away and lock me up, and I'll be free to drool in the corner of my padded cell for the rest of my life without a care in the world. "
"But then you'd never see me again," Caleb reminded her with a wink.
"Really? Can I get that in writing?”
9 likes
“Hi, you've reached Caitlin! I'm either on the other line or I'm purposely ignoring you. Or maybe Mrs. Mitchell confiscated my phone for texting in class again... Leave a message and if I deem you worthy, or at least hot, I'll call you back. Mwah!” 3 likes