Start by marking “The Weight of Souls” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Souls

The Weight of Souls

Sixteen year old Taylor Oh is cursed: if she is touched by the ghost of a murder victim then they pass a mark beneath her skin. She has three weeks to find their murderer and pass the mark to them – letting justice take place and sending them into the Darkness. And if she doesn’t make it in time? The Darkness will come for her…

She spends her life trying to avoid ghosts, ma
Published August 6th 2013 by Strange Chemistry (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Souls, please sign up.
Kelsey Ketch I got the sense that their will be. I, honestly, hope there is!

Start your review of The Weight of Souls
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5

I have to admit, I had an ulterior motive in reading this book: I was hoping to get my fill of an awesome, kick-ass, take-no-prisoner Asian heroine. That was what initially attracted me to this book. The cover. It's a pretty cover. The heroine is obviously Asian, and the instance I saw it, I quite literally squeaked for joy. It wasn't a kawaii sound, but I digress.

Let's face it, multicultural characters in YA fiction...in Western fiction, period, is an absolute rarity. With the
Shannon
YES. Asian protagonist. Asian model on the cover.

Thank you.

(Oh, and the synopsis sounds cool too.)

8/24 Edit: Need to write a real review ... but I really did like this one. Lots of cool stuff thrown in without it feeling too mish-mashy (probably not a word ... but whatevs.) I also liked that the protagonist is Chinese but it wasn't like OMG THIS CHARACTER IS ASIAN LOOK HOW ASIAN AND DIFFERENT SHE IS (thank you for not making her a martial arts expert as well.) She's just the main character and i
Aa'Ishah
The Weight of Souls took me by surprise. As good as it looks on the surface, I was not expecting the extra layers that came with it. Pearce brings to the table ghosts, bullying...a secret society and Egyptian mythology. What you see is not just what you get. There is a lot going on, yet it all comes together nicely to form a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Taylor Oh is cursed. Not only can she see the ghosts of murder victims, but when a ghost touches her, they leave a mark on her skin; she has three
Whitley Birks
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
See this review and more on Whitley Reads

A galley copy was provided free by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This books strongest advantage was in the basic concepts behind the premise, but unfortunately, the book didn’t fully take advantage of that. Taylor gets cursed by ghosts and has to pass on that curse to the murderers? Awesome! Tell me more about that! …or go to high school, yeah, that’s interesting, too.

What you get on the summary, that’s it. Oh, sure, we get the background
♥ Sarah
Mar 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Reading this book was an absolute ghastly experience.
The description of the book was cool.
But that was all I could tolerate.

I HATED THE REST:

#1 - Taylor was a social outcast at her school because of how strange she started acting after seeing a ghost for the first time when she was 10. I would've appreciated it more if she was always a social outcast, and somehow worked that to her advantage when it came down to mark-transference/ vengeance seeking time!

#2 - The lack of explanation behind w
jesse
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
come to my room, dead boy.

taylor oh is one in a long line of cursed oh descendants. she can see ghosts. if one such ghosts touches her skin, she has to avenge its death by tracking down the killer and transferring the 'mark'. and do it fast. because otherwise the darkness will come for her and take her life instead.

"anubis is meant to be the reason for all this. my ancestor was a member of an expedition of ... i suppose you'd call them tomb robbers. they found nefertiti's tomb but it wasn't empty."
[arc, 37%]
besides
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
There isn't really much going for this book other than the premise. Dude, how awesome is the idea of a girl cursed by ghosts to hunt murderers? For some reason though, Pearce thought it a better idea to make Taylor's social life the main point of the book instead of I don't know, her curse.

Brilliant, just brilliant. Yes, that's a perfect idea. Focus on high school, because obviously that's going to attract more YA readers who can't read books without a huge focus on high school.

While, sure we d
Marie
Many thanks to Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry for the galley copy (via NetGalley). Quotes are taken from an advanced review copy and are subject to change before publication.

Sixteen-year-old Taylor Oh can see the ghosts of murdered people due to a generations-old curse passed down from her mother's side of the family. If a ghost touches her, she becomes marked, and she must transfer the mark to the killer responsible before the Darkness claims her. When all-around popular guy--and her personal to
Heather
I received a copy ARC: The Weight of Souls via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ghosts, disturbing secret societies and Egyptian curses, oh my! Well I must say, the first chapter definitely got me hooked. The idea of murder making a mark and being able to pass it on is intriguing. Especially when you throw in a time limit.

Weight of Souls took place in London and was written from Taylor Oh's perspective.

The idea behind the curse was well done. Relatively simple but I don't like it whe
Ornella (Nyx)
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I hadn't been expecting to enjoy this book quite as much as I did. I thought the romance would be trite because of the who she was falling for, but this book has so much actually going for it.

First let's talk about the curse. The blurb doesn't really say much except the bare facts. I thought the explanation about the curse would be something along the lines of every other paranormal out there. But then almost right away you find out that the curse is quite literally a curse, put on my freaking A
Chiara
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A copy of this novel was provided for review via Net Galley on behalf of the publisher.

A good book! Hallelujah, hallelujah, halleeeeeelllluuuujjjaaaahhhhh.

I had been looking forward to The Weight of Souls ever since I saw a review for it on Tammy's blog Books, Bones & Buffy (like a year ago - I know SHAME ON ME for reading things so late but hey ... better late than never, right? RIGHT?). I trust her opinions on books, so I knew that I was probably going to like The Weight of Souls. Which I did.
Michelle Blankenship
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bryony Pearce is about to take the YA and Urban Fantasy world by storm, after reading The Weight of Souls, I've added her to my list of favorite authors in these genre's where the likes of Charlaine Harris, Richelle Meade, and Stephanie Myer also reside.

This is a must read for anyone that enjoys a bit of fantasy mixed with reality. Bryony Pearce crafts a very believable world, and the characters come alive with every turn of the page. Especially Taylor Oh, the protagonist, she'll make you laugh
Amanda
A sharp, dark, funny YA novel, featuring a girl called Taylor Oh who suffers a dangerous curse.
Sara Grant
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
X-FILES meets SIXTH SENSE through a rollercoaster of twists, truths, dares, love and the ever after.
Keri
Feb 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Well okay...

Let me first say that I knew nothing about this book. I picked it as my "Book Based on the Cover" for my 2015 Challenge. I did not read any spoilers or reviews prior to cracking it open. I picked it because of the awesome cover art and a half-Asian female lead! Maybe she'll be kickass?!

Aaaaand no.

My rating: .5 stars because of the race of the lead. Literally. I believe Asians need more rep in literature, especially YA, so that's why it gets any rating at all.

I originally was going t
Leontiy Cristea
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Jet Black Ink

Yet another Strange Chemistry title that proves the team of little robots (Angry Robot YA…!) are good at what they do, The Weight of Souls, by Bryony Pearce is a meaningful book that explores a handful of difficult themes without any extra baggage or heaviness that would—given the subject matter—make for a gloomy book. I don’t like gloom, so I was a teeny bit concerned that the book would be all death, death, death.

It’s not.

Taylor Oh is struggling at school. It’
Rahmah Mackie
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Hmmm.

I almost gave this book 2 stars, but there was something about the reaction this book evoked from me that earned it another.

But first, the bad:

1. It was an interesting premise, the whole 'darkness-will-come-for-whoever-bears-the-mark'. Unfortunately (I believe other reviewers mentioned this as well), I don't think that it was used to its full potential. There was just...so much more the author could have done with a cool idea like this, and instead it's focussed on the drama within Taylor'
Mieneke
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2013
The ability to see or hear the dead and helping them move on, is of course not a new concept, just look at Ghost Whisperer or Tru Calling , which I still feel was cancelled before its time. However, the concept of 'help a murder victim catch their killer or die’ was a version I hadn't heard before. And while the story is a little more complicated than that concept makes it seem, it does sum up the reason that tension builds the further we get into the novel, as Taylor literally races agai ...more
Simona
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
SOME SPOILERS AHEAD!

A new exciting book that Strange Chemistry brings to us at the beginning of August, The Weight of Souls by Bryony Pearce was a really interesting read.

We are introduced in the strange life of Taylor Oh, a girl who has a special ability: she can see dead people. Not only can she see ghosts but she can also interact with them which brings us to the main part that makes her life difficult: the curse. Passed from generation to generation, this ability of hers - the curse - comes
A Book Vacation
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To see my full review:

This novel was phenomenal! I was enraptured from the very beginning, watching Taylor walk into the depths of a violent gang to pass on the mark, noting her vast courage and fortitude as she attempted to trap a killer. With her “them or me” mentality, drilled into her from a young age, Taylor runs the gauntlet of danger throughout this entire novel trying to stave off the Darkness, keeping it at bay one murdered soul at a time.

Enter Ju
Tina
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
2.75-3 Stars!

I was originally going to give this book two stars because I didn't like it in the beginning, but the last 25% was good enough to encourage me to give it 3 instead. I was really hoping to love the story because it had an Asian protagonist, but the story was just okay for me. Just to warn you now, I will be listing mostly cons.

Taylor. For about 75% of the book, I didn't find her character too likable (for me personally). She seems like your stereotypical angst teenager (though I can
Kristen
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Young Adult Urban Fantasy
THEME: Ghost, Romance, and Supernatural
RECEIVED: Publisher
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
A clever ghost story with an interesting take on an Egyptian curse, Pearce takes the readers on a scary but mysterious journey with a sixteen-year-old girl who has a big responsibility. Ghost may be scary but the darkness that takes the souls who have sinned is the thing everyone should be afraid of.

The Weight of Souls follows Taylor Oh a young teen who is livi
Christopher  Nelson
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest oppinion. I will post a more detailed review soon, but for now I can say that The Weight of Souls hooked me from "jump" and proved to be quite the page-turner with an incredible blend of action, teen characterization, and nicely woven romance arc between two most UNlikely characters. And Anubis. How can you go wrong with Anubis? Mrs Pearce delivers a fantastic story well worth the read. Again, deeper review pending soon.

Aaand here it
Nafiza
The Weight of Souls is an interesting look into the life of Taylor Oh who has an affinity for, and obligation to, the dead who stalk her. If ghosts who leave the world due to unnatural reasons, (like humans wielding axes), touch her, they transfer a mark onto her skin. If she cannot pass the mark on to the murderer within a limited time, the Darkness will come for her. So she spends her days treating her best friend like crap (because the best friend can’t know), being bullied by these jerks at ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE WEIGHT OF SOULS read like Gossip Girls with a paranormal twist- a high brow school in London, a mysterious club with secrets, and a girl with the ability to get vengeance for murder victims. What originally drew me in to THE WEIGHT OF SOULS was the striking cover, and what kept me hooked was action that started from page one, the mystery that Taylor has to solve and the sweet romance that develops throughout.

With Egyptian mythology and a heroine of
Tien
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite moments in life is when I’ve just read a book that exceeded my expectation. A book that is so engaging, that absorbed all your attention, that totally ruin everything else in the day for you, and that you can barely put down. Even better is a book you can devour in the one sitting. The Weight of Souls is one of those books for me. It was so easy to read with engaging characters and a pretty suspenseful plot; I was immediately immersed in the book and did not think of anything ...more
Nara
Review also found on Looking for the Panacea

The Weight of Souls has one seriously epic premise. I mean, marks being left on the protagonist's skin by the ghosts of the murdered- marks which turn into the Darkness and will consume her if she doesn't transfer it to the murderer in time...DAYUM. I was so hoping that the book itself would be able to support the epic-ness of the premise, but unfortunately it falls a little short.

In the book (as evident from the blurb), there's a "secret society" wher
Lisa
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW! You know a book is good when you finish it in a day, can’t put it down, and when you are busy doing other things, all you can think about is getting back to the book. Which is exactly what happened once I started reading The Weight of Souls. And it was so easy to read, I felt like I had been reading for 5 minutes when I realised that I was on page 100.

The Weight of Souls appealed to me as although I read lots of paranormal, there are vampires, demons and so on, but I don’t read a lot that h
Leah
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
This book was definitely something different for me. I have never read a book like this before and was pleasantly surprised by it! The only ghosts stories that I have ever successfully managed aren't even ghost stories - they are the ghosts which reside in Hogwarts. I was a little sceptical about whether I would enjoy this book, especially with the romance element brought it, but it really was a fantastic read.

The novel follows the path of Taylor Oh and
E. Anderson
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This brand new book by Bryony Pearce has three of my favorite topics to read about:

1. Murder

2. Ghosts

3. Bullying

Does this make me dark? Or perhaps the author? Or are we looking at a story that looks at reality through the lens of paranormal fiction? I'd like to think it's the latter. And I think that this is one of the many things that makes THE WEIGHT OF SOULS brilliant.

Taylor Oh is a student who is the bottom of the totem pole at her London high school. She's picked on relentlessly by the cool
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Afterlife of Holly Chase
  • Queens of Geek
  • Molly Hacker Is Too Picky!
  • Make Me Hate You