Start by marking “Harbinger (Fate's Forsaken, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harbinger (Fate's Forsaken, #1)

Harbinger (Fate's Forsaken #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,100 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Published July 30th 2012 by Shae Ford

To ask other readers questions about Harbinger, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kathleen
3.5 bumped up to 4 for an excellent audiobook narration by Derek Perkins. I enjoyed this book and loved the two main characters (but some of the secondary characters are silly). Some scenes are grim, horrible, and sad, but this is ultimately a heartwarming fantasy series with romantic elements. This fantasy is set in an imaginary earth with kings, nobles, and serving classes. There are mages, whisperers, giants, human-animal shape shifters (wolf, dragon, hawk, etc.).

Much of this first book focu
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

Meh. Harbinger was better than I expected, but I'm also not all that impressed. I'm also really sick of the words "rump" and "gut."

Pluses:
Dragon
Pirates
Two badass heroines
Decent narration

Minuses:
Incredibly boring hero
Only two female characters, one of which (view spoiler)
Hero magically good at everything, except realizing a girl is into him
Jane Stewart
3 stars. I enjoyed this. No major problems.

It’s a fantasy/adventure story. Creatures include mages, shape shifters (dragons and wolves), and whisperers. Whisperers do things with their minds like telekinesis. Kael is in his late teens (I think). When the story starts he doesn’t know that he is a whisperer, but he soon learns he is. When he shoots an arrow it goes where he wants it to go. When he sets an animal trap the animal he wants comes to the trap. He can heal by picturing body parts comin
Elizabeth Fantham
Mar 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. Just absolutely NO. This book started okay, not great. Then it just got worse.

I feel like every fantasy, mythical creature/human were forced into a book. We have dragons, whisperers, mages, witches, "beast" wolves, wrights, pirates, mystery swords and it just goes on and on. Not very good "magic" system. Just a lot of nonsense forced into a story.

There is also plenty of similarities to other books. Not much originality.
Joecrash411
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well, obviously, I thought it was terrific! My only disappointment is that the author hasn't written more in this series (there is a book 2, I'll get to that later) and I've been really pressed to find another book that grabbed my imagination the way this one did.

The characters are well developed; however, it's obvious she left some stuff alone that would mke another book by itself. The book started VERY slowly - for me anyway,and, I have to admit, I put it down the 1st time I started reading; a
Mark Halse
A decent read. Perhaps if I were ten years younger I would think of it as a good or even a great read but Harbinger is definitely a screamingly YA fantasy. It was slightly better then I expected but I've never held my breath for a YA book to knock me of my feet.

In this book we follow the orphan-ish boy, Kale as he discovers just how awesome he is as he is forced from his small, mountain village with a badass half dragon whom he's too scared to tongue punch.

There were many interesting elements
Hollie
A little too YA for me, but creative concept

I'd rate this a 2.5 star book. This was one of those reads that I almost discontinued on numerous occasions. I just felt myself growing bored throughout. I think this would probably be a good fit for a younger reader. I just found myself wanting a bit more. I never really felt a connection to the characters. While the heroine was strong and brave, I found myself thinking of the hero as weak and needy. It was still ok, just not a series I will personall
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, Classic fans, History Buffs
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
This was an awesome epic adventure, and I loved it! People that like R.A. Salvatore or Christopher Paolini should give this a try. This type of writing is what is lacking in the YA genre. Please we need more of it. I am looking forward to the next book.
I like the main characters and their interaction with the common folk around them. I will admit that the story starts off a little rocky, but soon turns into a strong plot.
Leonard
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am very surprised at this books rating, being quite a tolerant reader I tend to blast through any book, even if they are less than average. But I did struggle to finnish reading this.

All in all this read was exceedingly cringeworthy, frustratingly facepalm to say the least.
Tim Cummings
kael and kyleigh are my heroes.
Matt
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read with some interesting ideas and good characters. Kael is a bit whiny though with some reason he's very downtrodden. His abilities seem almost too powerful but there do seem to be some limits to balance that if they are not really gone into.

It has some fairly kick arse heroines Kyleigh is just generally awesome and even the merchant girl (Ayrlin?) who starts as a sort of template girly girl turns out to have some depth. I also liked Jake the battle mage who keeps screwing up s
Metatrone
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm a bit surprised by the high rating of this book. It's pretty average all in all. Readable but not really anything to rave about.

Characters are not very complicated, and not very developed, somewhat stereotypical for the most part. There is a certain lack of depth, that's disappointing.

Plot is OK, despite some sparsely motivated events it's was not ridiculous, just a bit bland, not much edginess there.

Writing style is...well average, while entertaining and engaging for the most part, it was s
Arun Andhavarapu
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great starting I.e. Opening was great but the story quickly denigrated into a formulaic story
Jordan
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book, it has an interesting magic system and even better characters with fantastic dialogue and interactions.
Férial
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I'll lend this book to my 10 y/o niece. She might like it (provided she doesn't look too closely at the numerous absurd situations occuring during the hero's journey).
Janella
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listen to the audiobook of this one and it’s my first time to listen to one. I expected to be dreadfully bored with the audiobook but I didn’t. Derek Perkins was so good and I can easily picture out the places and characters.

The books is a fantasy adventure story. It has mages, shape shifters (specifically dragons and wolves), and whisperers. Whisperers has power with their minds like telekinesis. Kael is in his 17th year, if I am right with the dates in the book and meet this girl named Kylei
Enzo
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So after reading the short Prequel to "Fate's Forsaken" series now I really get into the meat by reading "Harbinger". This book has a lot of cool things in it. Hmm ok a lot of stuff fantasy readers might look for in a book. Among them are Dragons, Wizard, Witches, Shape-Shifters and Pirates. Yes, a little here and there sprinkled for all. But what really surprises is how fast you get to feel comfortable with this universe.
The two main characters are Kael a teenage man just coming to age raised
Charlotta
I had really high hopes for this book, and I love the idea of it! Unfortunately, the language and I do not agree. Had the writing been better, this might have been my favourite book of the year. As it is... well, I mourn what could have been
Shellbelle19
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this. Loved this new series. It is so different and keeps you entertained. Love the characters. Also is clean.
Kevin Hanks
Meh... an okay fantasy book. Hard for me to get engaged though
Rhaegar
Overall, it was pretty standard Fantasy epic fare. The target age range would probably be in the mid to late teens. The writing style and feel of the story is very similar to that found in the "Sovereign of the Seven Isles" and "The Godling Chronicles" series. If you liked those series, then this one should be right up your alley. I thought that the writing style was very good in the first chapter, but then seemed to devolve for some reason after that.

The main character is a young man who typic
Brent
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rona
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars because I enjoyed this book despite the straightforward story.

While the beginning of the book was nice (I admit I thoroughly enjoyed Kael's suffering), it felt bland on the later parts and I don't feel the tension whenever the characters carry on with their quests. Felt like they just all became really good at what they do (Aerilyn, Jake and Kael for example) and as a result, I felt like they wouldn't ever fail and thus, reducing the suspense. Sure there were suspenseful times but ever
Stephen
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seventeen years ago, a long and bloody rebellion wracked the six united regions of the Kingdom. Now the new King wields the vast and unvanquished army of Midlan with his right hand, and with his left has granted a small group of thugs — the nobles he calls his Sovereign Five — unbridled rule over the other regions. As if this weren’t bad enough, the King has also outlawed the practice of whispering — which is a problem for Kael. It’s not like he asked to be born a whisperer: he didn’t ask for h ...more
quoc
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
The bad
1) The author really, really, really need an editor who could cut a third of the content. There are a lot of unnecessary details and blah blah blah.
2) For that much amount of words, you would think a substantial amount of them is going to world building. But that is not entirely the case. Random conversations and needless descriptions take most of the space. The world building is not nearly enough.
3) Odd choice for the ending. The main villain of the book did not do anything bad toward th
Mike
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned
I thought this was well done, if a bit juvenile. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

I admit, the book earned its first three stars simply for not being horrible. It was part of a batch of fantasy samples I downloaded, and by the time I got to this one I was pretty furious over all the time I wasted on authors who write like they're still in high school. This, happily, was not a waste of time.

It's most definitely a young adult novel. The main character is not only young in years, but in experience. More than
Christopher
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zack
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to be written by an author that likes worldbuilding, but not writing.

This book seems, in my opinion, to be written by a great world-builder that would benefit from some guidance in the narrative and characterization fronts.

The World, and the concepts of Magic, Whisperers, and Shapechangers, all solid gold. The actual scene-to-scene writing had me laying the book down when I was really trying to continue to the next page. A lot of the scenes depicted were terribly unbelievable, a
Ronnie Grasser
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great start to a series. It is vague, makes you wonder, gives you enough of a bite to keep to you reading. The action is written well considering not every swing of a staff or sword is described too thoroughly, but it is very well done which i appreciate. In most big epic fantasies they do just that, I feel Shae Ford did what she felt comfortable with and did a wonderful job, not vague, but not blow by blow. my 4 stars instead of 5, is because there is a lack of full explanatio ...more
crashqueen73
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was like a breath of fresh air.

The story is part of a series and it is not a short read but it is a good read. The writing is very good.

I liked the hero and the heroine even though some of the secondary characters actually outshone them at times. Johnathon was probably my favourite and I wish that his part was a little "bigger" since his character certainly is.

My least favourite aspect of the story was how "easy" the defeats seemed. The tension was built but it wa
  • The Apprentice (A Knight's Journey, #1)
  • A Stolen Crown (The Book of One, #2)
  • Blood and Steel (The Cor Chronicles, #1)
  • Songreaver (Songreaver's Tale, #3)
  • The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
  • Division of the Marked (The Marked, #1)
  • The Innkeeper's Son (The Harven Legacy, #1)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Psion Delta (Psion, #3)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Hatch (The Dragons Of Laton, #1)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
Shae Ford is a USA Today bestselling author from a not-so-small town outside of Ft. Worth, Texas.

Her debut series, "Fate's Forsaken," follows the story of a young man who is gifted with extraordinary powers, but plagued by rotten bad luck. Having the chance to share his many (mis)adventures with readers all over the world has been the opportunity of a lifetime, and a journey she'll never forget.

T
More about Shae Ford...

Fate's Forsaken (6 books)
  • Poison (Fate's Forsaken #0.5)
  • Slight and Shadow (Fate's Forsaken #2)
  • Dragonsbane (Fate's Forsaken, #3)
  • Daybreak (Fate's Forsaken, #4)
  • The Fate's Forsaken Omnibus: Books 1-2 and Prequel Novella
“No worse bargain was ever made than the fool who traded friends for gold.” 2 likes
“There are times when death seems certain, and hope is dim. But in those times, I forget my fears. I do not see the storm that rages, or the battle that looms ahead. I close my eyes to the dangers - and in the quiet of the darkness, I see only what must be done.” 0 likes