Start by marking “Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future” as Want to Read:
Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future

Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future

(Phoenix #2)

First published in the 1960s, Phoenix remains relevant today. Civilization has gone underground after several nuclear wars. Masato, a resident of the underground capital of Tokyo, is discovered owning an outlawed alien animal with hallucinogenic properties. Fleeing for his life, he learns the secret of the Phoenix as the world veers toward Armageddon.
Published December 14th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix, Vol. 2

Ellie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, manga
Osamu Tezuka's self-described masterwork is Phoenix, a collection of manga novels that are tied together by the appearance of the immortal Phoenix bird. The volumes alternate between being set in the past and being set in the future, such that they gradually converge towards a present-day time. Sadly, the epic series never reached a conclusion because of Tezuka's death; happily, each story can be read as a standalone work so this incomplete status isn't too unsatisfying.

I mean to read the entire
Emmy
Phoenix: A Tale of the Future first popped up on my radar as a young undergrad while browsing the campus library. This was before I was willing to admit that graphic novels are not just comics for babies, and honestly, I was a bit embarrassed to be seen with it, so I only read snatches of plot once in a while. About four years later, I finally requested it from the library, sat down, and was amazed about how much I had been missing.

This was probably one of the best manga I've read, period. And I
fonz
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tezuka se marca una particular versión de "Hacedor de estrellas" de Olaf Stapledon que hay que leerla para creerla. Extraordinaria en el más amplio sentido de la palabra.
Kyle
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Phoenix: A Tale of the Future is the second volume of Osamu Tezuka's lifework, Phoenix. Even though I'll be reviewing the second volume, every volume of Phoenix stands on its own, so if this one sounds interesting, you don't have to read the first volume before Future. The basic concept of Phoenix is that there's this immortal bird, the Phoenix, and it can make you immortal. This volume of Phoenix takes place in the far future, where large underground cities are ruled by old-school computer brai ...more
Tom Ewing
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The same length as 'Dawn', 'Future' is at once tighter in story and more epic in scope: a parable of a declining human race which opens out into a meditation on cyclical time, futility and patience. There's a grandeur to the post-apocalyptic third act that's remarkable, like the rite of spring sequence in Disney's Fantasia rewritten by Olaf Stapledon - but it's also constantly leavened by Tezuka's gift for humour and the gorgeous fluidity of his action sequence. Future ought to be a bleak story ...more
Matt
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
File it under "comics about existence". I didn't even realize this was a volume 2 until writing this. It's as open and expansively shut as I could imagine. I would love to see this as a live action movie but know that a movie would never do this justice. Likewise, a book would slow it it down. The pacing. The mystery. The very real fantastic. Yet more proof of the AW YEAH of graphic novels.
Printable Tire
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This started out as sort of a manga-through-a-philip-k-dick-lens, with Dickian concepts like identity and Dickian goofy names like the shapechanging Moopies and hackneyed fun manga language of the "Hey! Watch whey're you're going, y'know!" variety. I found the character design and dialog pretty unremarkable, though the backgrounds were pretty cool. Then the last one hundred or so pages enter a mindfucking saga of Star Maker proportions and everything is awesome.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Next to volume 1 of this series, this one is my favorite. Where vol 1 took place in the past, this one happens in the future, and wow, it is one heck of a tale. It's actually pretty neat, and really shows the versatility of this series.
Onírica
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cinco estrellas para uno de los mejores mangas que he leído en mi vida. Osamu Tezuka es el gran maestro por obras como esta, por extraordinarios tomos concretos como este. Y es que el tomo 2 de Fenix supera al ya de por sí impecable tomo 1.
Einar Steinn Valgarðsson
Framför frá fyrstu bókinni. Framan af dálítið geim-sápuleg og teikningarnar í fremur einföldum stíl, nema helst bakgrunnurinn. Þemun eru þó áhugaverð, heimsendastef og áhugavert t.a.m. að sjá tölvurnar sem tekið hafa við sem leiðtogar herja sín á milli, báðar sannfærðar um eigin óskeikanleika. Ástarsagan milli "moties"-ins og mannsins var ágæt, en það er þó fremur í seinni hlutanum sem sagan nær flugi og fer meira yfir í "epíska Tezuka", sem ég held meira upp á en barnateiknimyndahúmors-Tezuka. ...more
Karen Loder
WAAAA AMAZING!!!!!!! Wow this was a great book. I haven't read the entire series and I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to since these books are out of print (I wish I could) but DAMN I need to read more by Tezuka. The emotions he was able to stir in such a short amount of time; the deep and profound comments on existence, the earth, the universe, life and how limited man's conception is of all of these things and how humanity's arrogance will be and will always be its downfall. Life is mo ...more
Dylan Benedict
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked Volume One but this edition was a major step up. I found Vol 2 to be deeply moving and quite powerful.
Brooke
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mind-blowingly beautiful
Rain Misoa
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Manga Lovers and People searching for answers to life.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Shelves: manga
One of the best manga I have ever read. Osamu Tezuka truly is a genius for his work. I am award that this is just a part of a twelve part series but considering it's difficult to get your hands on his work in the states, I decided that I will make do with this. And let me tell you I am not disappointed one bit. What I fell in love with here the most was the story. They story really opened up my eyes and... maybe even helped me save it a little. I'd like to believe that I am strong enough to face ...more
Dias Wuri
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
This comic book was given to me by my dear friend form Japan, named Hisashi Itoh. I was once not so interested by Tezuka (I don't really like Astro Boy), therefore I wasn't emotionally frantically happy when he handed me this book, looking beautiful in a nice purple package along with a gorgeous bookmark shaped like a Japanese fan.

To be brief, I read the book and after that, I sent my pal Hisashi an email (he was already back to Tokyo then). The email was a true expression of my thoughts after f
Ian Forsyth
Amazing scope, almost like a biology class on evolution, mixed with a socio-political critique. In the future a supercomputer tells humanity what to do. However the super computers are vain, selfish, and stupid, and lead the assured mass destruction of all life on the planet. Except for one life that survives with the help of the phoenix who grants the life the ability to be the creator of life. He dumps some essential elements in the oceans and viola billions of years later. By then he's become ...more
Xandra
Not the best storytelling I've encountered. Surely there must be better ways of establishing a historical context and presenting past events other than having one character recounting the past or describing a present situation to an interlocutor already well aware of what's being described to him. For the story to work and not descend into farce, the interlocutor has to be an alien to the situation or the reader himself.

Also, with everyone being so damn histrionic and in a constant frenzy, I'm
Crissy Hensley
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Osamu Tezuka was a revolutionary artist. This volume of Phoenix (recommended to me, and I was told to skip the first one) has an incredible art style, and a powerful, moving message. I read it in one sitting. If only Tezuka had lived to see the twentieth century, what would he have shared with the upcoming generation? He was years ahead of his time. I strongly recommend this novel. I'll be reading the rest of this unfortunately unfinished work as soon as I can!
Julie
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
An excellent selection from the godfather of manga (Japanese comics)! A must for all...erm...weebos. I would even recommend this series to people who like science-fiction but are also willing to tolerate graphic novel format.

Also, for those of you who hate anime/manga for all the odd facial expressions and outrageous proportioned characters, you won't find those attributes in Tezuka's work. Very serious, very thought provoking, very clever.
Rachel
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Osamu Tesuka (aka the Godfather of manga) apparently intended his series Phoenix to be his life's masterpiece. I read this volume a few years ago, but I've been looking for a chance to reread it ever since. The story is strong and meaningful. I won't say more until it's fresh in my mind, but I highly reccomend it.
Rebecca Schwarz
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Each volume of Tezuka's Phoenix stands alone. They are bound together by grand themes of man's inhumanity, and humanity, to man, and nature too. The story uses science fictional tropes to embrace environmental, religious, and humanitarian ideas. Although Future was written in the 60s the story feels immediate and relevant today. No small feat! On to the next.
Emilia P
May 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Uh, sort of totally awesome book about the rise and fall of total species. Definitely built on the groundwork of volume 1. The epic nature lent itself to more of Tezuka's epic art (which I like better than the bubbly stuff).
And who doesn't love the slug people? shoot.
Shaun
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intriguing read from the amazing mind of Tezuka. I like the circular plot that exists; the end of a waning civilization creates a new one. I would love to read the other eleven volumes in the series.
Ilse
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
When you read a lot of books by Osamu Tezuka, you get a bit spoiled I guess. This is not the best Tezuka I have read but the story is gripping. I almost couldn't put the book down before finishing and I'm looking forward to the next chapter... four stars well deserved!
Yukiko
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Gosh. This classic manga left me completely speechless... I'd like to write more later about how good it is in detail. But maybe the best thing for you to do in the meantime is just give it a try.
Lynn Williams
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent!
Brandi
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Beautiful. Cosmic. Depressing. Enlightening. Moving.
Bryn
Jul 20, 2007 rated it liked it
An above-average manga. An interesting and thought provoking book if a bit heavy-handed at times.
Brittany
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The whole series is incredible.
Ilib4kids
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: w_graphic
ILL
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006
  • Abandon the Old in Tokyo
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • Kitaro
  • Planetes, Book 4.2  (Planetes, #4.2)
  • Cat Eyed Boy, Vol. 1 (Cat Eyed Boy, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 9 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #9)
Dr. Osamu Tezuka ( 手塚治虫 ) was a Japanese manga artist, animator, producer and medical doctor, although he never practiced medicine. Born in Osaka Prefecture, he is best known as the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is often credited as the "Father of Anime", and is often considered the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney, who served as a major inspiration during his formative years ...more

Phoenix (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Phoenix, Vol. 1: Dawn