Start by marking “Get Dirty (Don't Get Mad, #2)” as Want to Read:
Get Dirty (Don't Get Mad, #2)

Get Dirty (Don't Get Mad #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  661 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Published June 16th 2015 by Balzer & Bray

To ask other readers questions about Get Dirty, please sign up.

“I, Kitty Wei, do solemnly swear, no secrets – ever – shall leave this square.”

This book was a bit slow, but we got to find out who the killer was – so Yay!!

The characters in this didn’t irritate me quite so much as they did in the first book, and they did seem to think a little bit more about what they were doing, even if they still weren’t awesome detectives.

“Olivia gas
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I received a free copy via edelweiss for review purposes.

Spoilers for the first book, Get Even.

Last year, I read Get Even and it left me breathless. I didn't think that the sequel would be able to reach my very high standard, because that's what happens with sequels, right? I was wrong, though. And I didn't need to worry because Get Dirty surpassed all my expectations. I couldn't stop reading. I was hooked from the first chapter, and I kept saying to myself, "Just one more chapter, then I'll put
Faye, la Patata
Remember the time when I kept sayingGet Even, the first book of this duology, was better as a standalone?

Well, I now eat my words, because if that book was a standalone, Get Dirty wouldn't exist, and I would have missed a book that was BAD. ASS. AWESOME. Seriously, guys. I enjoyed this way more than I expected to, and I'm so happy with how everything was written and concluded!

I mean, seriously? It doesn't only has suspense (I was on my toes the whole time), unpredictability (I swear I couldn't g
Veronica Morfi
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4/5

Great ending. This is how Pretty Little Liars should have been like. Two books that had everything in them, secrets, red herrings, a lot of action, death and drama and finally all questions answered in a way that makes perfect sense.
Stacee
I was beyond excited to get my greedy hands on an arc of this book. After the ending of Get Even, I was so eager to know what happened. And Gretchen didn't disappoint.

Love love love these girls. All of them have such different personalities and they're all fabulous. And let's not forget the boys. Sort of light on swoons, the ones we did get were lovely. Somehow, every chapter end left me wanting more of whoever's POV I just finished.

This book kept me guessing until the very end and even then, I
Colette
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From page 150 on I could not put this book down (even at 11pm on a school night). The three hours straight of reading felt like minutes as I rushed to find out who killed whom. Gretchen McNeil wins the title "the queen of literary suspense;" no other author possess the ability to pull people into a book and hang on to them until the final page is viewed. More questions, answers, and shocking discoveries fill each chapter of this thriller. Just when one thinks they have the murder pinned down, th ...more
Jen Ryland
Like the first book, Get Even, Get Dirty was fast-paced and plot driven, with a lot of snappy humor and a bunch of twists and turns. I never really connected with any of the characters, but in a book like this, that's not really necessary. (Ed the Head is still a favorite. He cracks me up.)

Somehow I thought this series would be more than two books, but this final installment did wrap things up and reveal the villain.

*This book does seem inspired by PLL, and given the way that show has dragged
Evie
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Review originally posted on Bookish Lifestyle

Gretchen McNeil's Don't Get Mad duology is one of the most tightly woven, convoluted, unpredictable and ingeniously potted teen revenge series I've read to date. It's a fast-paced, high-intensity mystery/thriller with plenty of unexpected twists, badass cast of characters and convoluted yet seamlessly put together story line. In other words, this series rocks.

In my review of the first book, Get Even, I said that the book wasn't as substantial and
Me, My Shelf and I
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read
Review coming closer to release date!
Nara
Get Dirty is the continuation and conclusion of the Don't Get Mad duology. After the massive cliffhanger at the end of Get Even, I was definitely looking forward to getting my hands on this book, if only to finally find out the identity of the killer.

I definitely feel like I enjoyed the first book more than this one. While the stakes are higher in this book, the first just felt a lot more realistic to me (which is saying something, because to be honest, book one, while not unbelievable, wasn't t
Cesar
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Oh my God! So many mysteries and theories and conspiracies! (alright, not that many conspiracies, but they were there!)

Get Dirty had everything I wanted in a conclusion to a series! Finally, all my questions were answered and the overall arc of the mystery concluded well enough for a satisfying ending.

What I got was friends sticking together, a mystery that had me second guess everything, and group dynamics between different people.

Overall: I enjoyed both books!

Can't say too much beca
Colleen Houck
A great conclusion. I liked getting to know the parents and finally getting to know what happened. Totally surprise ending. Did not see it coming at all!
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Gretchen McNeil’s Get Dirty picks up immediately where we left off in Get Even, which I read sooo many months ago and alas, I couldn’t remember much that had happened! The pain of reading too much! LOL!

After some initial confusion as to who some of the secondary characters were, I was able to quickly get back into the story as the remaining members of DGM, Bree, Kitty, and Olivia try to figure out who the mysterious murderer is. And for the majority of the novel, poor Margot lays comatose in the
Erin Arkin
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
Get Dirty is the second book of the Don’t Get Mad series and I couldn’t completely remember how book one ended but that didn’t prevent me from diving right back into this story.

This book picks right up where the last one left off…or shortly after. The things I loved about the first book definitely continue through this one. The friendship that the girls (Kitty, Bree, Olivia, and Margot) have developed only gets stronger through this book and I loved how they all worked together despite their cha
Trisha
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
"I'm not getting mad, I'm just getting even."

I love that this book is such an easy fun read. You just jump right back into the story. The beginning quickly reminds you where everyone is (hospital, meeting up, who knows who, and who doesn't know!) and lets you just jump right back in. And I loved getting right back there.

But I kick myself - because it's my own fault I didn't absolutely love this one. I just couldn't remember enough from book 1 and I've waited too long to finally pick up book 2. I
Abbie
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I can't say I loved the characters in this, but they were a lot less annoying than what I remember them being in book one.

The pacing in this was slow again, so parts of it dragged. It wasn't quite so bad as book one though, as the killer was actually revealed, so this installment didn't seem like a waste of time like the first one did!

Overall, An okay read.
Louisa
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fantastic book! Really enjoyed the twists and turns, and how it ended up, that was really great! I didn't suspect person who is the bad guy! Can't wait to read more books by Gretchen McNeil!
Brad Sells
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LET IT BE KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE LAND THAT GRETCHEN MCNEIL CAN DO NO WRONG.
Danika
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was Amazing!
Krutula
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The members of Don’t Get Mad aren’t just mad anymore . . . they’re afraid. And with Margot in a coma and Bree stuck in juvie, it’s up to Olivia and Kitty to try to catch their deadly tormentor. But just as the girls are about to go on the offensive, Ed the Head reveals a shocking secret that turns all their theories upside down. The killer could be anyone, and this time he—or she—is out for more than just revenge.

The girls desperately try to discover the killer’s identity as their personal lives
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
This review originally appeared at Such a Novel Idea.

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

When I read Get Even last year, I hadn't yet watched an episode of Pretty Little Liars. Sure, I knew there was an "A" person terrorizing pretty girls, but that's about all I knew. Also that the secret of who this person is was kept for all four(ish) seasons.

So, having read the book first, I
Rachel
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, for-review
GET DIRTY is the incredibly exciting, suspenseful, and absolutely gripping conclusion to Gretchen McNeil’s two-book series, Don’t Get Mad. It picks up the story shortly after the events in the first book and guarantees to keep those pages turning as Olivia, Kitty, Bree and DGMs newest members try to uncover who is behind the murders, who's responsible for putting Margot in a coma, for setting them up to take the fall, and for threatening to make things even worse for them.

With Margot, their most
Once Upon a Twilight
It breaks my heart to say this, Get Dirty fall short of the mark. I loved how easy and fast paced the first one was read. However, this one took me a while to get into.

While reading the story, I had issues remembering the names of the characters. I kept repeating their names and I tried to keep up with their POVs but IT.WAS.HARD. I just couldn’t focus, at all. Everything blurred. At one point I had to skimmed through. Even though I had these issues, I kept seeing the murderer's name everywhere.
Tonyalee
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can find this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

It took everything in me not to jump into this book after finishing Get Even - especially after that ending! But I am glad that I was able to have some restraint and let the events of Get Even sink in.

There was SO much going on in Get Dirty. The overall plot ARC of who the killer is, the other secrets revealed and the addition of POVs. But the best part is, everything seamlessly pieces together without leaving us hanging. It's fast pace
Amber (Books of Amber)
I feel like Get Dirty had middle book syndrome even though it wasn’t the middle book. I don’t know what happened. I loved Get Even, and I have been so freakin’ excited to read more about the gang and to find out who the killer is. Somehow, Get Dirty was completely lacklustre, and I can’t even figure out why.

The stakes are definitely higher in Get Dirty, but somehow the whole book seemed very casual. It was like I was watching everything happen from behind frosted glass. I was totally disconnecte
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Balzer & Bray/Harperteen) via (Edelweiss) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery
*Rating* 3.5

*Full Review Pending*

“I, Kitty Wei, Margot Meija, Olivia Hayes, Bree Derringer, do solemnly swear, no secrets – ever – shall leave this square.”

Gretchen McNeil's Don't Get Mad duology comes to an end with the girls facing difficult personal challenges th
Dyanna
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Get Dirty is the second and last book in the series Don't get mad and it was a packet full of secrets and issues that in the end were resolved. The book begins with Margot in a coma, Bree taking the blame of the DGM , Olivia and Kitty the only available that can find the criminal. Together with Ed the Head the girls found themselves in more questions and mysteries then in the first book. The first half of the book was ok but the last half was making my blood pump fast. I liked that in the end ...more
Cynthia
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok I never write reviews and hardly ever even mark the star rating, however you all need this book in your lives! I will keep this simple, if you enjoy stories about friendship, suspense, shocking reveals, debates on whether revenge is really the answer and being on the edge of your seat, then this is the book series for you. I truly couldn't read this book fast enough, no need for a bookmark because McNeil keeps you guessing right until the end and the payoff is worth it, you won't want to put ...more
Nicole Hewitt
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

The Don’t Get Mad Duology is a fun YA mystery in the vein of Pretty Little Liars, with plenty of intrigue and twists and turns, a dash of romance and a nice helping of back-stabbing to go on the side. I decided to go ahead and review these two books together since I read both books in the duology one right after the other. The book follows a group of four girls who have very publicly (but also secretly) been getting ba
Megmar
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hm this sure was something. RTC
  • Vanished (Vanished, #1)
  • Reckless Hearts (Wicked Games, #2)
  • Take The Fall
  • Nearly Found (Nearly Gone, #2)
  • Deadfall (Blackbird, #2)
  • Rebound (Boomerang, #2)
  • Beautiful Broken Girls
  • A Breath of Life (Black Symphony, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water
  • The Perfectionists (The Perfectionists, #1)
  • Wild
  • Perfect Liars
  • The Revenge Playbook
  • Becoming (Project Five Fifteen #3)
  • Amongst the Dead
  • Gone Too Far
  • Willowgrove (Hemlock, #3)
  • The Pretty App (App, #2)
Gretchen McNeil is the author of the YA horror/suspense novels POSSESS, 3:59, RELIC, GET EVEN, GET DIRTY, and TEN (a YALSA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, a Romantic Times Top Pick, and a Booklist Top Ten Horror Fiction for Youth) all with Balzer + Bray for HarperCollins. Gretchen’s first YA contemporary I’M NOT YOUR MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL, also with Balzer + Bray, hit shelve ...more
More about Gretchen McNeil

Don't Get Mad (2 books)
  • Get Even (Don't Get Mad, #1)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Mystic River
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Hard Goodbye (Frank Miller's Sin City, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • The Dinner
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
  • The Secret in Their Eyes
  • Snow Falling on Cedars
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Absolute Power
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Instinct (previously published as Murder Games)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)