Start by marking “The Gathering Darkness” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Darkness

The Gathering Darkness

They say "third time's the charm", and for sixteen-year-old Brooke Day, they had better be right. She’s been here before, twice in fact, and an evil demon-witch wants her dead a third time.

When Brooke is forced to leave Boston for the small town of Deadwich, she thinks her life is over. Before long, her new friends start acting strange—downright evil. But worse than that,
Published September 22nd 2012 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published September 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gathering Darkness

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeThe Gathering Darkness by Lisa CollicuttGirl of Nightmares by Kendare BlakeHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Art-Covers
220 books — 207 voters
Fallen by Lauren KateThe Selection by Kiera CassDeception Peak by Dianne Lynn GardnerAcross the Universe by Beth RevisVisions and Shadows by Michelle Horst
Lovely Covers
654 books — 464 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessa Russo
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY loved this book. I received the final draft to proofread, and half of me is worried that I was too engulfed in the book to catch mistakes. It was so good! I had the pleasure of reading this without having ANY idea what it was about - hadn't even read the blurb. This made for a very mysterious ride, and kept me guessing throughout.

I haven't read many books about witchcraft or witches, but I loved - LOVED! - the take on witchcraft in THE GATHERING DARKNESS.

Brooke was a girl with a past
Farrah
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

This book was wonderful, absolutely fantastic! I adored it!
I went into this book thinking "oh, this seems like it will be a nice story." And, wow, did A Gathering Darkness exceed my expectations and blow me away.

I'm very fond on the idea of reincarnated soul mates. It just speaks to the romantic in me. There have been a few books I've read that follow that idea, but The Gathering Darkness is probably the best of them
Annabelle
*****FINAL RATING: 4.60 STARS*****

CATCHALL
I received this as an ARC a little while ago, and it may have sat in my TBR stack indefinitely if not for the recommendation of one of my wonderful friends. I'm so glad she pointed it out to me, because I absolutely loved it! I don't read many books about witches and witchcraft, mostly because there just aren't that many out there. But this one…well, this one was wonderful. The characters came to life, the plot was full of both action and romance, all
Conny
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Best book I've read this year !!!
Carla *Jen7waters*
Jesus Christ. Where do I start.

You know, if I had read this book 2-3 years ago I probably wouldn’t be so harsh on it, but at this point in my life when I’m so, so, so tired of YA clichés, especially in paranormal romance, I cannot forgive The Gathering Darkness since it is literally a compilation of all of them, happening in the story one after the other. I mean, there's insta-love, love triangle (with brothers involved!!! UGH), tragic past lives, the heroine is the new girl in town&school,
Jamie
I went into this book after reading the blurb and hoping it would be what I wanted 'Beautiful Creatures' to be when I read that blurb. After way too many pages and countless yawns and even a few flings across the room i did in fact finish reading B.C. and was utterly disappointed that I had actually paid for it. This was years before I found goodreads and discovered a whole bloggerverse full of lovely people who could help me find books more to my liking. I've noticed B.C. has good ratings and p ...more
Anne Tilney
When it comes to young adult fiction, there are certain clichés that are typically found. The love triangle, the instant love, the star crossed lovers, down to the brooding love interest and the Mary Sue main character with the personality of stale moldy toast or better yet of a cockroach. And YA paranormal romances are infamous for incorporating all of these things. Together they create an abomination-and these said abominations saturate the market. They thrived best during the paranormal boom ...more
♥ Sarah
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
4- 4.5 stars

The Gathering Darkness has it all: witches, fairies, reincarnated souls, a heart melting romance, and bone chilling spooky evil. The main characters, Brooke and Marcus have been sharing the same nightmares since Brooke moved to the town of Deadwich. And when Brooke and Marcus see each other for the first time at school, they can’t keep their eyes off each other. It’s more than attraction, it’s almost like they’re drawn together by invisible magnets.

But Marcus isn’t the only one in
Cornelia Barnes
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brooke and Marcus, or Clair and Christian...by any name, in any lifetime, through centuries, these two struggle to overcome the curse of past lives, and the spells of evil witches to finally have a complete life together. Very well written. I spect it will be a hit in my high school library.
Nanette
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it

Just started, already hooked!
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)

My review can also be found on Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.ca/2012/1...

Witches and Fairies and Reincarnation...oh my! Lisa Collicutt cleverly blended all these supernatural phenomena into a story that I couldn't help but fall into. It was equal parts creepy, equal parts romantic and equal parts sometimes-a-bit-too-far-fetched-mystery.

Brooke Day has been brought by her parents to live with her Aunt, Uncle and cousin in creepy Deadwich, Massachusetts, in an attempt to set he
Susie
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, romance, ya
This review can be found on my website: http://susreviews.blogspot.com

Synopsis: 16 year old Brooke Day has been packed her off by her parents to live with her aunt, uncle and cousin in the coastal Massachusetts town of Deadwich. Brooke likes her relatives but doesn't like living there because whenever she goes to bed, she has horrible nightmares where she's surrounded in darkness.

At her new high school, Brooke quickly garners the attention of popular twins Evan and Marcus Knight, but while Evan
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!
I knew I wanted to read this one after reading the synopsis and I had a feeling it was going to be a bit mysterious and maybe even a but creepy but I had no idea just how creepy it was going to be!

I made the mistake of starting this right before bed. I thought I would just open it up and read the first chapter real quick and get it started.

Yeah, not a good idea. Not only was it dark outside but then I couldn't just read one chapter, not after that creeptastic scene at the Inn! Serious
Pam
I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley for an honest review. Brooke is sent Deadwich from Boston cause she can't seem to stay out of trouble. Sent to live with her uncle and aunt she is feeling like her life us over. She soon begins to make some new friends including her cousin. She also has an immediate connection with a boy name Marcus. One problem with Marcus is his brother seems to think Brooke and he are a couple. Soon all her new friends begin to turn against her ...more
Ionia
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Gathering Darkness by Lisa Collicutt is one of the best YA paranormal romances I have read so far.

The author has a unique way of dealing with witchcraft in this story and I am pleased to report that it didn't feel like a repeat of other books that deal with the same subject.

I liked the main character, Brook. She was intelligent and I thought the fact that she expressed fear instead of coming off as an untouchable character, gave her the depth I needed to see in order to care what happened
Lina (From the Verge)
What a nice reading treat. Witches+Magic and twisted fate *raises fist in the air, while screaming: 'Yes!'* = perfect mixture.
This book will take you into a very interesting place: Deadwitch. A small town close to Salem where Brooke, our main female character is forced to move for a year to live with her aunt, in order to have some time off from her crazy life in Boston. She is sixteen and will soon realize everything is not what is seem.
We've got an eerie Inn that can be the setting for a horr
Kelly Sierra
The Gathering Darkness is a fun ride. Founded on the concept of reincarnation, it is a story of two soul mates running from a jealous jilted lover. At first the story is slow in unfolding. The characters Brooke Day, Samantha (her cousin), Marcus Knight, Evan Knight, Maggie and Jenny are a few of the main characters. Brooke is sent to her cousin’s house after an issue that occurs back home. She feels this is a torturous trip, especially since every time Brooke visits Deadwich she has night terror ...more
Lisa
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved loved loved this book, It had all the my favourite things, Witches, magic and soul mates what more could I ask for, oh yeah a super hot swoon worthy guy.

Marcus is going straight into my top ten book boyfriends, what I loved about him was he was a decent, sweet guy, most of my top ten list is made up of the "Bad boys" but Marcus was just *Sigh* perfect

Brooke was easy to relate to she felt so real awkward like a typical teenage girl who as moved to new place and school, but she was strong to
Heather Wood
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet love story with plenty of suspense. I enjoyed the mysteries surrounding the witches of Deadwich and had to leave the lights on while reading some of the scarier scenes.

With Halloween around the corner, I was looking forward to reading a creepy book. This was where The Gathering Darkness really delivered. Brooke's nightmares along with the portions on Skull Island and the Inn were very nerve-wracking. The author has a talent for writing vivid descriptions that force you to keep r
Debbie I Heart YA Books
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Gathering Darkness is one of those novels that really surprised me. I didn't think this story with Brooke and Marcus was going to blow me away! Yep, kind of thought it was going to be a okay read, but man, I was wrong, it's a fantastic one. Lisa Collicutt has created an awesome world with witches, wonderful charters, and swoon-worthy romance. And Collicutt gave me Brooke and Marcus's wonderful story all in one novel. No waiting for sequel.

Brooke is sent to the country to stay with her Uncle
Sophia
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is filled with cliche twists: there is a new girl at a new school. Two boys like her BUT she knows what she wants, so it's not really a love triangle. Insta! love BUT they are reincarnated souls. This was very cliched for me and I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing. There was a whole lot of destiny and fate...blahblah....witch wants them dead and has no motive.....yada yada.

Brooke is OK. She's not horrible but I don't love her. I do want her to succeed but it's no big c
Kristy Sartain- Whispering Pretty Stories Reviews
I received this ebook as an ARC from netgalley.com

I want a Marcus. All to myself.

Now that that's out of the way, I will continue.

I adored the plotline and concept of this book. In full disclosure, I am a huge fan of books with witches in them and this one ticked lots of boxes for me.
Girl who doesn't know she's a witch? Check.
Strong, silent, hot guy who doesn't care? Check.
Evil witch set to destroy girl who doesn't know she's a witch? Check.
Oblivious parents? Check.
Random family member who kne
B. McMichael
Brooke doesn't want to be in Deadwich, but that doesn't mean she can leave. Her parents have shipped her off, but that just might be fate playing more of a role than anything. In Deadwich she has to confront the nightmares she always had had there and soon finds she is not the only one with nightmares. The introverted twin Marcus Knight might just be the answer to her dreams in more way than one- if she can live long enough to find out.

This was a complete book- there were no cliff hangers, nothi
Nadine Reid
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked the moment I started reading this book. I give this 5 stars. Love the plot, characters are realistic, the main protagonists Brooke and Marcus are likeable I became fond of them, really like the paranormal factor, and the list goes on. Romance is not my favourite genre. I'm not into cheesy romance where you can predict the outcome before reading the book. This left me guessing and wanting more. This was so much more than romance. Really like how the equinox ties into this story. A gr ...more
Christina Arnoldin
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, captivating and sometimes frightening, this book is very well written and without any monotonous elements that you often see in other novels….. A page turner that will keep you reading until late into the night.
Dawna Raver
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Gathering Darkness is a well crafted story with a sweet ending. It has everything you want: a little romance, a creep story, a nice plot twist, and a satisfying ending. It's a witchy good time! I'm looking forward to more from this talented author.
Christine
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book on a cloudy, cold day while snuggled in bed. It was the perfect atmosphere for this read. Just a fun, slightly creepy story to get lost in. The romance is very young adult and I liked it. Made me feel 16 again.
Karen Boncela
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Young Adult Books of a Paranormal Persuasion are not usually my Genre. I met the Author Lisa on Twitter and was intrigued by her Story.
I found her book to be delightful.I felt like I knew each character rather quickly and each Chapter flowed into the next with ease.
Good Job Lisa!
Rosalie
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I honestly was never a fan of romance novels and fantasy novels. My past readings consisted of murder mystery. "The Gathering Darkness" was the first fantasy romance novel that I absolutely loved. It was truly so good that it brought out the romantic side of me that never existed.
Melanie Adkins
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brooke is sixteen and her latest adventure gets her sent from the city for a YEAR! Her parents feel she'd be better off with family in the small town of Deadwich. Brooke would rather be confined to her room for a year. She has strange dreams and weird feelings about Deadwich. The only good thing about this year in the country is her cousin. They are best friends, so it should be tolerable. Brooke never dreams she'd meet a guy. Then things get really strange.

Lisa Collicutt did a fantastic job wi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ever (Ever, #1)
  • Wilde's Army (Darkness Falls, #2)
  • Fade (The Ragnarök Prophesies #1)
  • Fairy Blues (Songs of Magic, #2)
  • The Rose Throne (The Rose Throne, #1)
  • Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame, #1)
  • Perigee Moon
  • Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers, #2)
  • Shadowed Ground (The Chronicles of Nowhere #2)
  • Colour Wielders (Colour Wielders, #1)
  • Imaginable (Intangible, #2)
  • Infatuate (Gilded Wings, #2)
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • Alchemy (Mercian Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Condo Board of the Apocalypse (Kelly Driscoll #1)
  • Never Let You Fall (The Prophecy of Tyalbrook, #1)
  • Lunatic Revenge (Lunatic Life, #3)
  • Release (The Protector, #3)
Lisa likes to write dark and twisted tales of magic and romance. She has a passion for Young Adult and New Adult Paranormal.

When she's not conjuring tales about witches, demons, and other magical beings, she can be found leathered, and bound to the back of her husband's Harley, touring her homeland of Nova Scotia, Canada.

Enter Lisa's imagination where realism ends and fantasy begins. But heed the