Start by marking “Burning (Demon Legacy #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Burning (Demon Legacy #0.5)

Burning (Demon Legacy .5)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Lucas was a typical playboy - lots of alcohol and a different girl every night.

One woman brought his emotional walls and the beliefs he used to build them crumbling to the ground.

Now, an unexpected visitor is going to change both their worlds forever.

Burning is the short story lead-in to the upcoming Demon Legacy series by J.M. Gregoire.
Paperback, First, 13 pages
Published October 2nd 2012 (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning

Heather Felder
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
I was *REALLY* nervous to read/review this one. My book junkie friend/owner-creator of PureTextuality (the site that I blog for) wrote this short story! My first thought: "Holy crap....I KNOW an author. How cool is that?!?!?". My second thought: "What if I don't like it? How on Earth will I do that review?". Luckily for me, it turned out on the positive end of things. PHEW *swipes forehead*!

Burning brings us Lucas, who meets Natalia, and he quickly falls for her. On his way to meet her for one o
Dolly
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

I have to say up front, I know this author. I would rate this short prequel more as a 3.5. As I always TRY do with my ratings, I rounded up since a 3.5 isn't a choice on Goodreads. Occasionally, I do round down but not very often.

The story begins slowly but soon picks up. Ms Gregoire's writing flows smoothly and her descriptions are well written. The only problem I really had was, it was too short. I was just getting into the story and "the end". This bodes extremely well for the first full le
Andie K.
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big fan of short stories, but if it's a prequel in a series, then I like to read them so I can get an idea of what to expect from the first full lenght novel. And I have to tell you, that Demon Legacy Series seems to be very promising.

In Burning we meet the hero, Lucas nd his new found love, Natalia. A vampire and a witch. There's really nothing paranormal happens before the end of the book. Lucas tells us how they met, how they spend the time together from then on and a little bit abo
Zoe
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though this is only thirteen pages, I was hooked from beginning to end. Burning is a thrilling short story that leaves a brilliant ending to dip into (of what would only be assumed) a fantastic series.

In the matter of these small amount of pages, I felt like I really knew Lucas and Natalia. Their relationship is unique and interesting to read about. The contrast of characters clash in a really effective way and I instantly wanted to know more about them and read on and on and on.

The writing
Anya (An Awful Lot of Reading)
It was a bit of a rough start but the detailed descriptions give in to a world that is captivating. And while getting a story started can be difficult, once in the swing of it, it was an impressive supernatural world, with vampires and witches and demons. A very good start to a urban fantasy series!

Although the prose is well written, full of powerful language and easy to read, romance is apparently not her style! And I've got to ask, what was with the random question marks? Building up the roman
Charity
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

Vampires, check. Witches, check. Demons, check. The combination of these awesome creatures had me primed and ready to enjoy this short story by J.M Gregoire.

Burning, is a short story lead-in to Ms. Gregoire’s, Demon Legacy Series. I appreciate the concept of this idea very much. It provides the reader with a fairly well rounded taste of the characters, the broad over-arching conflict, as well as a peek into this new world.

With smooth and flowing prose, Gregoire beautifully set the stage for this
Ashley
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This short story is just that, short. This is the prequel to The demon you know. I received this story from the author earlier and I must say, I am in love. The writing is amazing. The story is romantic and tragic and my heart broke so much for Lucas and Natalia I am definitely going to be reading the next book. I've been hooked!! Reviewed by Ashley E. Of faebooks.co.uk
Alphaen
Oct 11, 2012 marked it as to-read
I had the opportunity to beta-read this short story, and it's a very interesting gateway into a world of vampires, witches, and all other supernaturals we love to read about. Congrats on your first published work! And I'd love to have a pdf format of the finished piece ;)
Terri
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a short prequel to a much longer series. I'm looking forward to reading more!
Kendra
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a novella prequel to an upcoming Demon Legacy series.
I think the novella, for the shortness of the book, provided a great introduction into the story that will likely follow, and I love that the plot is well laid out. There's a heartbroken vampire, with his lost love witch, and a demon that he will undoubtedly seek revenge on. This gives way for so much potential in the series and I can't wait!
There was only one thing that threw me off, even with it only being 27 pages, and that was a l
Nette
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of PNR
Recommended to Nette by: J.M. Gregoire
Shelves: read-reviewed
Burning is a promising start to a series! For a short story it held my attention and I was invested in the outcome of the plot. Honestly, when I was done my reaction was "THAT'S IT?!" as I said, it's a promising start to the Demon Legacy Series .

The only critique I will give is the lack of development of the characters and background story. Being that it's a short story, it's also a prequel and should be addressed. While the love story between Natalia and Lucas was sweet they both seemed a b
Gaele
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeep-diva, reviewed
As a prequel to a series, this short story sets up the potential of what may come quite nicely. Lucas is a vampire, jaded and a bit of a playboy until he encounters Natalia. Natalia is a witch, and the coven records keeper. Lucas can see auras, and Natalia’s was unlike any he had ever encountered.

When Natalia meets her untimely death at the hands of a demon, Lucas is too late to save her, and he is determined to find the one thing who took his love from his life.

I’m certainly interested in see
Melissa Box
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, uf-series
Burning is a short story prequel to the Demon Legacy series being written by J.M. Gregoire. I received this story from the author and immediately devoured it. It's a real short read, but a good one that leaves you anticipating the series, as well as rooting for Lucas to exact his revenge. In a very short time it gives you a decent enough amount of background to get a taste for the world Lucas and Natalia call home. I enjoyed the little time I got to spend in Gregoire's head and am looking forwar ...more
Brandy Dorsch
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Burning is a prequel to the Demon Legacy that J.M Gregoire is currently writing, and can’t wait to get my hands on the next one!

Lucas is your typical playboy vampire living in Venice. Loving the ladies is a hard job, but someone has to do it, right? All that changes on the day that he meets Natalia. Have you ever met that one person that knocks your world off kilter? Lucas has and the love that he feels for her is breathtaking.

Natalia is a records keeper for a coven and it is a job that she abs
Proserpine
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This really short story was super interesting! Lucas was a great character (well, for what we learn of him in these few pages). He's the play boy kind of guy and we realise soon enough that he's a vampire. Then, one night Lucas will meet Nathalia and his whole world will change for ever.

This prequel was exciting, filled with action and promise for the future series. The bad guy is a disgusting monster without any feelings for his victim and he won't back down to get what he wants.

I don't know if
Sam
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read more of my reviews on my blog: SIK Book Reviews

I thought this short story prequel was very well done. It is definitely one of the best short stories I have read in a long time (not that I read them that often, but still). Usually, I find that I don't connect with the characters because authors don't take the time to develop them enough, due to the shortness of the story. But this one was different. I thought that both Lucas and Natalia were well-developed and I was, therefore, able to under
Jason Parent
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Demons, vampires and witches - I thought Ms. Gregoire's short story had YA written all over it. Not only is it for a mature audience, but it is awesome!

In only a few pages, the author introduced me to two characters, a vampire and a witch, but not of the traditional varieties. By the end of the chapter, they were in love, as I was with them. Then comes the second chapter, and everything the two lovers shared is taken from them... violently and sadistically.

The writing is extremely fast-paced. It
Matt Cole
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Burning: A Demon Legacy by Jena Gregoire (2.5 stars) is a teaser to a larger work, The Devil You Know. Here we are first introduced to Lucas, a vampire, whose life is turned upside down when his witch girlfriend is murdered for a secret that protects the world from a much greater evil. Unfortunately, the story doesn't begin until about half way through -when some conflict is finally introduced. The first half is info dumping mostly about how much Lucas and his girlfriend love each other. While t ...more
Iris (Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews)
As a prequel to a series, this short story op only 13 pages sets up the potential of what may be a great Series. You get to know the main characters Lucas and Natalia and fall rock hard for their unlikely romance. I look forward to see what Burning has started. Although the ending is not a happy one, it gives you some great ideas where book 2 may lead.

J.M. Gregoire has set a great world with interesting characters and can't wait for her second book "The Devil You Know."
Fairyblood
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The playboy, Lucas, has finally had his heart captured by Natalia. But things aren't all smooth as they find themselves in the middle of an evil plot.

This short story sets the stage for an exciting world of vampires and demons. I've been teased and want more. Looking forward to the next installment.
Jean Booth
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this short novella you're introduced to Lucas and Natalia. You're swept away by their love and hooked instantly into the joy Lucas feels for her. It's a fast paced, exciting novella that leaves you wanting more. I can't wait to read the first book in the Demon Legacy series and to see what else J.M. Gregoire has in store for us!
Beth Allen
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Too short!! Lucas is a solid character, a good mixture of good and bad traits. And he's a vampire, a bad boy with the women. That is, until Lucas meets the witch Natalia. And that's all I'm going to give away!

I can't wait for the rest of Lucas' story.

Nice work Jena!
Kim
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very Very good short read. I can't wait to read more in this series! I was completely captivated by the characters even in this short time. I have no doubt that this is just going to get better and better!
Victoria
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Venice will never be the same... not that I've been there mind you, but still!
This prequel tells of Lucas, a playboy vampire and Natalia, the new records keeper for the covens. How they meet, the pull they both feel towards each other and the love that grows.

I instantly took a liking to the world the author created. Well.. it's our world with supes (vampires, witches, shifters, demons,...) in it :p , but the way Jena described her environment, scenes and conversations made it for the reader ve
Marsha
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult Paranormal Romance Lovers
I was just about to begin reading "The Devil You Know" when I discovered that there was a prequel novella entitled, "Burning." So, I decided I would read the novella first. Unfortunately, it is only 27 pages and lacks the world building and characterizations that would encourage a reader to go on in the series. However, since I already own "The Devil You Know," I will go on to read it.

Lucas is a vampire who has a bevy of beautiful women eager to warm his bed. Yet, he is extremely taken when he m
Dina Given
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Burning is an extremely short novella of only 37 pages. It is the lead-in to J.M. Gregoire's upcoming novel, The Devil You Know. In one quick sitting, you can polish this book off and get a very good sense of the novel to come. In Burning, we are introduced to Lucas, a playboy vampire, who falls madly and deeply in love with Natalia, a witch. He turns from his former wicked ways to be a better man for her. The sweetness and depth of their relationship is described more than e
K.C.
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you just want a taste into The Demon Legacy series then you have come to the right book. Burning is a quick read (no joke it’s like 13 pages on my nook) and introduces the world and its creatures. It seems we have witches, vampires, and of course demons. This little story will not leave you with butterflies of “Awww they made it against all odds.” Nope. There is not HEA in this story but that’s ok because revenge is so much sweeter.

I have not read the rest of the series yet but will be doing
Squeak
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on my Alaskan Bookie Website at: http://alaskanbookie.com/review/burning/

My Review:
This was a quick little book used as a jump start to the Demon Legacy series. And what a jump it was! This jump start was like using a semi-truck to jump start my chocolate warmer. There was a lot of stuff packed into this little series opener.

There was a witch and a vampire falling in love, a demon out to steal something from the witch even if he has to kill her to get it, and t
Sonya Ray
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great way to start a series! The characters introduced are strong. I love the witch and the vampire love story. Natalia's love makes Lucas want to be a better "man". But all of his hopes and dreams are taken away in a moment. And Lucas knows this as soon as he sees the demon leaving Natalia's apartment. Devastated at the sight of his tortured love, Lucas regresses back into pain and anger and promises revenge.

I enjoyed this short story. You can feel the immediate chemistry between Natalia
Patricia Hamill
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban paranormal
A quick read introducing the series.

I think it started off a little rough but shows promise for the series. I think the main point of the story was to demonstrate the depth of Lucas' feelings for Natalia as motivation for what I'm guessing will be a quest for revenge.

If you want a quick scare and a little heartache, this is a good bet. I'm not sure whether this is a must read for the series. It's a prequel and I have not yet read any others in the series.

I found this for free on Amazon.

« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Delete Cover Request 5 69 Jun 28, 2013 02:06PM
  • Born To Be Wilde (Immortal Vegas, #3)
  • Never Say Such Things (A Fall Into Darkness Story)
  • Ares (Guardians of Hades, #1)
  • Genesis Queen (The Road to Hell, #3)
  • Black Ice (Midgard, #2)
  • Drowning In The Dark (The Veil, #4)
  • Straight to Hell (Lilith Straight, #1)
  • Deadly Hearts (Descent, #0.6)
  • Pretty When She Destroys (Pretty When She Dies, #3)
  • Unearthed (Resistance, #3.5)
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
  • Turn to Darkness (Offspring, #5.6)
  • Fairy Blues (Songs of Magic, #2)
  • Traitor (Ava Delaney, #6)
  • Bitten (The One Rises #1)
  • Darker (Alexa O'Brien, Huntress, #6)
  • Raven (Storm Chronicles #5)
  • Night of the Living Dante (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #4.5)
Bestselling author Jena Gregoire was born and raised in New Hampshire, USA, and despite her abhorrence for any season which dares to drop to a temperature below seventy degrees, she still currently resides there with her two children and several furbabies. Always a passionate reader, her love of urban fantasy books inevitably morphed into a love of writing them. She is currently working on the Hel ...more
More about Jena Gregoire

Demon Legacy (4 books)
  • The Devil You Know (Demon Legacy #1)
  • Suffering (Demon Legacy #1.5)
  • Speak of the Devil (Demon Legacy #2)
  • Dance With the Devil (Demon Legacy #3)