Start by marking “The Missing Boatman” as Want to Read:

The Missing Boatman

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Miracles are happening.
Pray to God they stop.

In the dead of winter, on a highway in Quebec, a man crashes his car and survives. In New York, a homeless person is run over by a bus and lives. In Tokyo, a teenager jumps off a high rise building and fails in taking her own life. All over the world, miracles like these transpire, and people breathe a sigh of relief.

But for the
Published June 3rd 2011 by Eltanin Publishing (first published October 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Boatman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Boatman

Hudson
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
**Actual rating 4.5**

This just missed being a five star book for me, I really enjoyed it and Keith Blackmore is definitely one of my favorite new horror authors.

The premise of the book is this: people stop dying. At first glance that might seem like a good thing but not if you tried to commit suicide by leaping off of a tall building or were in a ship that capsized and you are being eaten by sharks, then not dying is actually a pretty bad thing! This book was like a Cannonball Run comprised of m
Alexis Winning
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading Keith Blackmore's work. He has a distinct style that often makes me chuckle. The Missing Boatman is one of the most original books I have read, although I do feel it could have been slightly condensed.

All around the world, people are defying death. Somehow surviving terrible accidents, people are failing to die. What the world doesn't know is that Death himself has given humans the proverbial finger and decided to go AWOL. To prevent the end of the world, Tony has been chosen to
Sharon
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I was a little shocked at what seemed like gratuitous super violence, but this book had me hooked and I really enjoyed it. I'll have to take a look At what else mr. Blackmore might have to offer.
Albert
Lord tunderin jesus b'y. One hell of a ride. Gruesome and detailed battle royales that would make Rocky Balboa go cry to his mama, interesting and fun characters (including a newf, yay) and what I believe to be a unique story line. Came close to giving this one 5 stars but just couldn't, a better job at editing would of been wonderful.
In a nutshell, there's this fellow that works very hard, he's misunderstood and his feelings get hurt because people hate him. Now this overworked fellow is quite
Caryn Mccarthy
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Cry havoc!

What happens when Death abandons his post? Great tale about those from the world behind the world come to life, walking among us, pulling the strings to get him back on duty. It's a rawer, grittier American Gods. Another reviewer likened it to early Stephen King, before he started phoning it in -- agreed. Great characters. Great tension. Great dialogue. Great action. A LOT of blood is shed, in vivid detail...but it doesn't detract from the many charms of the players -- human and otherw
Janese Jackson
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nevermind
I got about 70% through this book (thanks kindle, for keeping track), and I was quite into it... And then, BAM! I was smacked with so much idiocy that I could not continue.
THERE WILL BE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
I loved the premise, it was different and creepy. The beginning of this book does a great job drawing you in, and it keeps you reading with it's quick pace, interesting characters; it creates a genuine desire to know what's going on & why, and what will be the result. It's good enough that
Lorre
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood, gore, lot's of graphic violence, cursing, some humor... it's what I was expecting from Blackmore after reading his Mountain Man series when I started this book and I sure got it!
The Missing Boatman is a very original story about Death aka The Grim Reaper (aka Frank as he is called in this book LOL).

This book could have been a 5-star with more editing, not only to weed out the faults but also to make the story tighter cause it was a bit lengthy at some points.
Bob
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you think about Death taking a holiday in British Columbia? In Winter? Everyone stops dying and the race is on to find Death and get him to start bringing souls over to the other side again. But Death is on strike. He's getting a bum rap from everyone. No one understands Death and everyone blames him for what he does. He's on strike until someone -- anyone -- will speak up for him and let the living know that they have it all wrong about him. He's not a bad guy, really. He does drink a l ...more
Dawne
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I laughed, I cried, I cringed, but in the end I completely enjoyed it. Well written, unique and funny as all hell! Watch out for fear and pain and keep your eye on lady luck! And if you see the Boatman in the end, tell him "thank you," he deserves it. After all hes just doing his job.
Tara
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As many other reviewers have stated, the violence in this book is something you have to muscle through in order to enjoy the underlying story. It's a very interesting premise, and I found it fast-paced and absorbing, but I often found myself cringing at the gruesome violence throughout. If you can handle that aspect, and you enjoy a supernatural element in a story, you will like this book.
Corrie
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, took a little motivation to get past the beginning violence, but getting further into the book released an awesome mystery and hunt. Keith C Blackmore keeps to his usual awesome authoring.
Allan
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book that looks at the fates as if they were human. I enjoyed reading about death's drinking and Hope's love affair. Add fear and pain and the book really takes off. The human element is also very well done.
Jason
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of Keith C. Blackmore's books, it is a great read and an interesting concept. You'll enjoy it.
Areland
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Michael Miller
As a free to download book, it was a decent read. Basically, what might happen if Death stopped doing his job? One man will face that truth and come to terms with the world.
Michele
I had to stop reading this for now. It's very interesting -- but I needed something a little lighter just for now. I'll re-start ...
Cheryl
Satire, tongue-in-cheek humor. Blood, gore, mega cursing. Needs a proofreader but above all, an excellent read.
Mitchell
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reminded me of an independent version of American Gods. pretty decent
Redvil
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great read..engaging characters and gruesome (yet awesome) action/fight scenes..
Matt
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. What a cool concept for a story. Very unique plot and well thought out characters. Funny as hell too.
Cathy
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this 1st novel by indy author Keith Blackmore. It's available on Amazon.com in electronic format.
John
Dec 25, 2012
Jonathan
Oct 08, 2016
Aaron Tucker
rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Confused!! 1 3 Jul 29, 2015 11:07PM
  • The Society of Blood (Obsidian Heart #2)
  • Pirate Therapy and Other Cures
  • Don't Need No Water
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • DEATHLOOP
  • One By One
  • Lost Souls (Reviver Trilogy, #2)
  • Midnight Paths: A Collection of Dark Horror
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • Everyman
  • Moondance of Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #2)
  • Ashlyn's Radio
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • The End of the World
  • The Pilo Traveling Show
  • Wildwood Road
  • The End Came With A Kiss (Beautiful Dead)
  • Terminus (Outpost, #2)
Books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and others.
More about Keith C. Blackmore...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
  • Blood Music