Start by marking “31” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

It’s the first day of March, and it has been a great year for Ravi Shastry, a regional head at an international bank. Promotions and increments seem within reach, life is good, and the month of March should be very merry.

Until trouble in Imperial Bank, Brazil, snowballs into an international crisis, and the Indian bank also has to lay off one-fifth of its staff.

And battlel
Published September 15th 2012 by Westland

To ask other readers questions about 31, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 31

Girish
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
3 starrer for the sheer - no-time-to-think-it's-all-happening - style of writing. Of course, the book claims to be a thriller, but nothing more than uncertainty and office politics made to sound deeper.

Ravi Shastry is the zonal sales head at a MNC bank where disaster strikes and the bank is facing layoffs. His personal life is in shambles (each day seems to start at 4:30 am! and ends at 11:00pm!). His professional reputation is on stake with the internal audit hounding him over a framed charge.
Amit Si
Jan 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
The beauty of the cover design is indirectly proportional to the content hidden beneath it. I wonder how did this book receive so many likes, when all it does is paint a stupid character as the protagonist who cannot have a handle on anything absolutely in life and all that carries the story forward is a series of inane conversations which also involves twitter feeds.

Nope, there is absolutely no thrill present here and is sure to give you a headache halfway through the book as you try and make s
Ravi Jain
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Whenever you read 14 consecutive thrillers and fictions in two months’ span, believe me, you cannot read more without a well-deserved break. For some, this break could mean catching up on lost movies or seasons; or what I’d like to call “A Reader’s Block”. But to me, a break means changing the genre and pick up something less gory, something subtle and pleasing. I came across “31: A Thriller” at a bookstore in the Trivandrum Airport and was instantly attracted by the cover (see for yourself).

Ful
Adite
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Upendra Namburi’s debut novel, 31, is about life in the fast lane of corporatedom.

Ravi Shastry, the regional head of a MNC bank is a great team leader and one of the top performers in his bank. The last 31 days of the financial year – March – are perhaps the most crucial ones in any corporate warrior’s life. But Ravi is a cool customer. He has nothing to worry about. He is eyeing a promotion or even an international assignment. But then what’s life without a few curve balls, right? Before he kno
Lubna

India’s financial year ends on March 31, so March is a busy and crucial month for those running the rat race in the corporate world. It was no different for Ravi Shastry, the protagonist of the book ’31’, who is the regional head of an international bank – Imperial Bank.

The book captures cleverly how international business is linked, the ripple effect a meltdown in operations in one country (Brazil in this case) can have on the operations in another country, which geographically is so remotely
Anup Lande
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book starts with a very slow pace introducing so many characters at once which is very difficult to keep track of. I couldnt build up my interest. But still just to complete it once and for all I continued. Sometimes you feel irritated for the repititive things and confused between the characters. But after almost 150 pages, you start getting a feeling that something good is coming and then the actual thriller begins. But let me tell you its almost at the end of it. And also the end is good ...more
Sandip K B
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a corporate thriller.Loved every page of it.Its so relatable to any corporate guy.31 days of excruciating target chase and 31 days of office politics in a high voltage thriller.All that you can ask for is more.What happens to Ravi Sasthry after the last page is anyone’s guess.Characters straight from any office and situations from any work life.Keep going Upendra!!
Supriya
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
If you are a thriller lover like me please stay away from this book ,its just a pity story of a self obsessed narcissist person ! Plus the ending is too abrupt for anyones liking .
Amit Gupta
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
31, a corporate thriller, deals with a contemporary subject of restructuring and layoffs and has an unique narrative style, with one chapter for each of the 31 days in the month of March. It reveals the ruthlessly cut-throat world of the banking industry, but also its humour, quirks and strange camaraderie.

It is the story of Ravi Shastry, a regional head at Imperial, a multinational Bank. The month of March starts off on a positive note and he seems set for a promotion to the Head Office in Mumb
R.
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Premise/Pre-read Appeal: 4/5 - an innovative cover that immediately catches your attention, a plot that anyone who's worked with targets can relate to and an intriguing blurb. Plus, it's a book on an Indian corporate by an Indian author, and it's guaranteed a certain minimum audience.

Writing/Language: 1.5 - By far, the millstone around the narrative. As another review had also mentioned, I found the writing repetitive and monotonous. All the characters speak the same way; if the editor had been
Bharat
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-books
A month back, I was at the airport on the way home. And I had decided this time that I would not be carrying any book along. This one week at home is supposed to be spent with family and not with a book.

And, guess what? I end up not only buying a book at the airport, but also spend the first two days at home glued to the book. Just had to.

Have to admit, this is probably the first time that a book has been marketed so well that I just had to pick it up impulsively. A complete wall at the book sto
Bookgeeks.In

CLIMAX: 5/5

ENTERTAINMENT QUOTIENT: 4.5/5

Saptarshi
Nov 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
The premise of the book was quite interesting and had everything needed for it to be a thriller. But the author fails abysmally in achieving his objective, primarily due to his lack of storytelling skills. The author takes a potentially exciting storyline and then wrangles every bit of excitement and thrill out of it to render it little better than a B grade Bollywood movie.

What failed was the author's ability to write and hold the reader's attention: in almost every sentence, I was forced to me
Nelton D'Souza
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don’t know of many books that use the days of the month in a theme. And to have exactly that many chapters as the days in the month is indeed different.

31 by Upendra Namburi is a spacy thriller based in a bank. The month of March probably may not be of great importance to a common man but ask a banker and he’ll describe as a month which can make or break his career. After all March is the last month of the financial year in India and the numbers in this month are all that matters to everyone,
Rashmi
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fast paced corporate thriller where protagonist is Head of sales at leading bank.
His life takes a toll when recession hit and problems at their global
branch leads to lay off at Indian office too. He is forced to layoff
his best staff and his job is also in danger.He got one month in hand
( March 1st to March 31st) to keep his sales figure high, save himself
from crook colleagues who are trying to entangle him in credit card fraud and keep his name away from pink slip. AS if problem in office a
Prashanth Baskaran
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-books, fiction
This book is for people who can enjoy the story of urban corporate life. Rat race, ass-licking-ness, office politics, workplace stress, inverted work-life balance... Everything combines to form a pacy read.

It is by no means beautifully-written, articulate, humorous or a classic. But people who have a work experience in MNCs, Banks or any other high profile organizations can get an insight into what happens behind doors of a big company. And, those with intimidating titles and jobs can also enjoy
Harmel Kaur
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a giveaway, and let me say that I am by no means experienced in literary criticism. But I was fascinated by Ravi's life. I think that this book gives a vivid picture of life in the corporate world, and I could see that world in my mind as well. The story progresses at a brisk space, and there are many twists and turns. I rather liked this style of writing, with the chapters divided according to the days of Ravi's life, it helped keep me interested. I also liked that only essen ...more
Vikas
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Must read for everyone whose life depends on the rat race.
Upendra has the skill of converting boring corporate life into a fast paced thriller.
Everyone working in the corporate culture can related with it. Especially the stress, office politics, ass licking that happens today. Though the background is if a Financial MNC; it's equally true with any growing organisation to some extent.
Off Course Uoendra exaggerates in certain situations; he can be excused to bring the dramatisation effect.
Ho
Nupur Maskara
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
If one wants to read this to escape from one’s rat race life, it may not be the right one if you are a wage slave. Still, the (spoiler) ambiguous but somewhat happy ending will console professionals that there can be a rosy future at least on paper if not in life. (end spoiler)

Ironically, the ones who would most identify with this book may not have the time to read it. Unless it was mailed to them, a page at a time, on their Blackberrys…So that they can read it in meetings?
Reema Singh
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: november-2015
Don't judge a book by its blurb.It is the key takeaway from book.Blurb promises you something that story will not deliver at all.
The story starts well however as it progresses I hope to find the thrilling part of this "Thriller" on every page but nothing comes out of it till the very end.
In Plain words,it is insipid.
I like the narration Style but only narration style can not make a story likeable and recommendable.

Anil Swarup
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Life is fast paced but tough. This is perhaps what the author has to convey about the private sector. The book has a happy ending but not before the Chief protagonist going through crisis after crisis, some of which are of his own making. When things go wrong almost everything goes wrong. Upendre uses a different style in conveying his thoughts. It is like a daily diary but not dreary. You can feel the action though on occasions it appears unreal to someone who hasn't led such a life.
Jatin
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I pick up the book b'coz of the review and i didn't disappointed.
Book is very well written and story is also very good.My first book on corporate politics.starts little bit slow but author has a great writing skill.Suspense remains till last day of novel.Way to reveal the suspense is also very good.But at the last there are some unattended questions.May be author missed it.but overall good book and will recommend to all who love to read about office politics.
Krishnan Raghupathi
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this corporate thriller set in the Indian banking industry - only the denouement was a bit disappointing -- but had echoes of Crichton's Disclosure. Well worth a read, and I'll be looking out for his other books
Anandh Sundar
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
At first blush, this seemed a me too imitation of Ravi Subramanian's books on the banking industry. But then, this book did blend relationships and banking quite well, and the last minute twists help earn this book its 4*. Worth a read
Ashwini
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Since I started the book it really went well and I thought I would give this a 4/5 but the number of characters, the confusion and the stretch till the end makes me give it a 2. Over all a very nice read but a little lengthy. Well written. :)
Nitesh Agrawal
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Never judge a book by its cover. Absolutely true for "31" . Cover is awesome, book is very disappointing..
Rohit
Nov 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Definitely not worth your time , even if you want to read a book.. Extremely predictable book
Shikha Nayar
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am yet to read a more boring book! Kept falling asleep while reading!!
Jasmine Dayal
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyed the book.. The plotting against and for a position, corporate life, complex relationships, topsy turvy family life.. It had it all.. A good read
DEEPTI
rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Poor Little Rich Slum
  • Compass Box Killer (Inspector Virkar, #1)
  • MBA at 16
  • Losing My Religion
  • The Shadow Throne
  • Hot Tea Across India
  • The Taj Conspiracy (Mehrunisa Trilogy, #1)
  • The Steradian Trail (The Infinity Cycle, #0)
  • The Bankster
  • Gods, Kings & Slaves: The Siege of Madurai
  • Two Fates: The Story of My Divorce
  • Walking with Lions: Tales from a Diplomatic Past
  • Johnny Gone Down
  • May I Hebb Your Attention Pliss!
  • English Bites! My 'Fullproof' English Learning Formula
  • My Life, My Rules: Stories of 18 Unconventional Careers
  • The Karachi Deception
  • The Emperor's Riddles
Upendra Namburi is a sales and marketing professional who has contributed to leading newspapers and online publications.

He is on the passionate voyage of writing the numbers triumvirate of novels titled 31, 60 and 8.

His debut novel 31, was a bestseller and also on the long list for the Tata First Book award.

His second book titled '60 minutes' is a unique story that spans a pulsating 60 minutes.
“When the going gets tough, the tough get going...” 3 likes