Start by marking “Innocent Little Crimes” as Want to Read:
Innocent Little Crimes

Innocent Little Crimes

Lila Carmichael, outrageous, bawdy comedienne, is a rich and powerful woman in television. But, it's not enough she has everything she desires; for fifteen years she has been obsessively orchestrating payback to five unsuspecting, former schoolmates—“friends” who played a nasty trick on her, and now it’s her turn for revenge.

Under the flattering auspices of a cozy college
Published September 15th 2012 by Imajin Books (first published October 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent Little Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocent Little Crimes

Rachelle Ayala
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cross between Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" and William Golding's "The Lord fo the Flies," Ms. Lakin's story is a chilling account of what happens when you bully the wrong person.

The setting: A remote island in the Puget Sound. A brewing storm on the horizon. Five desperate and venial schoolmates, each with their secret sins and back-luck stories, converge on Lila Carmichael's funhouse mansion for a reunion of their Thespian club.

They eat, drink, cast aspersions and pretend to enjoy t
René Annandale
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book started off okay, but didn't carry through. Not a riveting story line. The characters did not convince.
Tiffany Farfan
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I am torn between this book because I loved the characters but there were just too many issues for me.

I loved the characters. Cynthia was probably my favorite because I could relate to her the most and she was frustrating to read but heartwarming to see someone who has so much faith and hope. After her I probably enjoyed Millie the most and possibly Peter as well.

Della was heartbreaking. A terrible person that I would probably never want to be friends with but I was content with her end. Howev
Sheila

As groups of thirty-somethings drive to the Anacortes Ferry on their way to a party in the San Juans, I almost wish I were with them enjoying the wonderful scenery. But this celebration hides the cruelties of youth and vicious threats of revenge in C.S. Lakin’s Innocent Little Crimes. And all the crimes and criminals are guilty.

Fifteen years ago, these students starred in a play together. Shy Lila left herself open to teasing when she fell for the leading man and a cruel joke ensued, but now, wh
L.L. Helland
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Innocent Little Crimes by CS Lakin was a great read.Spoiler Alert. It reminded me of when kids are bullied in school-they never forget who and what happened to them. The main character was a sad, shy, withdrawn child who grew up, and was the same in college. She thought she'd found a good friend in her roommate and the actors group at college. It was only when she walked back in the stage door that she heard what they really thought about her. Although what her so called friends did to ...more
Alana Woods
I began this book with high expectations because I really like CS Lakin's work. This one did not impress me as much and I'll attempt to give my reasons.

When writing reviews I generally assess a book on three fronts: how much the story engages me, how well it is written, and how involved I become with the characters.

To begin with the story did not engage me, and in this instance the characters cannot be separated from the story because I didn't like any of them. And if I can't like the characters
R. Andrew Lamonica
Mar 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Anna and I like a good murder mystery to listen to in the car. This was not a "good mystery." In fact, it was barely a mystery at all. The only "mystery" was what did characters B, C, D, E, F, and G do to character A in college. After a few chapters it becomes nearly impossible to relate to or care about any of the characters so we just kept listening to see which of them would die and which would be the killer. But, even that was ultimately disappointing.

Anna's prnouncment at the end was, "Well
Deni Ciubotaru
This book's description got me at "Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None" and lost me close to the end when I realized that my expectations will not be fulfilled and the book is kinda similar to The Lord Of The Flies. Through the main character, Lila, we're faced with the reality of bullied kids or teens that are haunted their whole life by the things they have been through...and if they're a bit crazy who knows what might happen.
Claude Bouchard
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Combine one part Agathie Christie, one part “Lord of the Flies” and a hefty measure of Roseanne Barr. Blend with strong character development, excellent writing, a solid story and glaze liberally with selfish human nature. Yields one fine serving of "Innocent Little Crimes".
Deb Miller
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well written story. I had a hard time liking or identifying with any of the characters. Only one of them was a good person. Two of the women seemed to make a better life for themselves. That is why there is a 2 star, it was okay, rating. I thought I was buying a mystery, but it was a drama. My mistake.
Kate
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting novel about promises. ego. friendship vs. acquaintenship, revenge and lies. Friendship brooks no lies or holding back, but when ego and goals get in the way, watch out. It is only acquaintenship then.
Simi
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this from the start. Kept me on my toes. I real page turner.
Catherine
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story. I felt the control Lila exerted over the lives of her former classmates was a bit far fetched, even though she was rich. However, I veered between thinking she was psychologically disturbed and pitying her. The fact they all thought she owed them something after having treated her badly was not. I liked the follow up at the end.
Kathy Cunningham
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
C. S. Lakin’s INNOCENT LITTLE CRIMES reminds me a lot of the 1973 Stockard Channing TV movie, “The Girl Most Likely To . . .” In both, an innocent, trusting, kind-hearted fat girl is brutally tormented by her so-called college friends. In both, the poor traumatized girl runs away and is hit by a car. In the Stockard Channing movie, she has plastic surgery, becomes beautiful, and exacts her revenge. In INNOCENT LITTLE CRIMES, she becomes a super-successful and super-rich comedian . . . and exacts ...more
S. Wideman
Aug 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
It only gets one star because I liked three characters. Other then that, it would have had none. Frankly, I really hated this book. I got it because it sounded like this Asian horror movie, Reunion. Same idea of a class reunion where the bullied girl gets her revenge. Except, it wasn't as interesting as Reunion.

In this book, we have Lila, a very disgusting and vulgar woman who somehow has like Oprah-like status in Hollywood for her bawdy comedy shows. I couldn't see it. When her comedy routines
Tracey Madeley
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
'Despite her great success, Lila had become bitter and cruel.' This is the essence of this book which the author refers to as a psychological thriller. She states her aim as wanting to look at the motives and motivation of her characters and in this writer's humble opinion she achieves this.

At first I wondered about the significance of the prologue, but by the end of the novel I understood. The structure of the book is not linear, and as such it may take a little more careful reading. The charac
Lilian Gafni
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of the upcoming paperback edition of Innocent Little Crimes

A Great mystery of a weekend in hell!

In the style reminiscent of Ten Little Indians, five friends reunite for old time sake where their most secret wishes will be realized: to get Lila Carmichael’s help with their financial troubles or thwarted ambitious plans. Lila Carmichael is a wealthy and accomplished comedienne with fans tracking her every move on television and in the news. Lila invites five of her old friends to
Rosemary McCracken
Lila Carmichael is a bawdy, outrageous television comedienne who has hit it big. Really big. But fame and money haven’t brought her happiness. She’s still rankling from a cruel joke that five fellow students in a college theater group played on her 15 years ago.
Hell-bent on revenge, she invites them to a weekend reunion on her private island off the coast of Seattle. They’re excited by her invitation because she’s now in a position to help them, and most of them need her help and influence.
They’
Laurel-Rain
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Revenge is best served cold...this seems to be the credo of famous comedienne Lila Carmichael, when she invites six former college friends to her weekend retreat in the San Juan Islands. For it has been fifteen years since they all betrayed her, while they were each aspiring actors enjoined in the production of Picnic.

They are each hoping for something from Lila...something to enrich their lives and help them move up in their careers.

What they get instead is a wicked parlor game that turns ugly.
Sabrina
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thouroughly enjoyed this book. I found it to be a surprsingly good page turner. The book is about a group of people who went to college together and are now in their thirties. Four of them played a horrific trick on a very niave, self-concious and unconfident young girl who just wanted to find friendship and be loved, whilst one (her best friend as such) who sort of knew what was going on stood in the background and allowed it to happen becasue she was afraid of losing the man she thought she ...more
Shelly Itkin
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lila Carmichael is rich, famous and fat but to the outside world she has it all. Lila is out for revenge and will stop at almost nothing to get it.
She decides to have a reunion for her college buddies after fifteen years so they can all see if they achieved what they hoped for.

We will meet Davis, who is extremely handsome, Dick who wants to get into politics, Millie is rather shy and sometimes almost pathetic to be accepted into the group, and then there is Della who is beautiful, Johnny who pla
Ken Farmer
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You know immediately that someone, or maybe more than one, will die—but who?”
A PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER THAT DOESN'T LET GO
March 26, 2012
By Ken Farmer

Susanne Lakin does a masterful job of allowing the characters do the storytelling in "Innocent Little Crimes". She has that rare quality not telling the story to the reader, but bringing the reader into the story from page one. One instantly becomes immersed in the personality of the characters, especially Lila Carmichael, a somewhat hateful and v
Cheryl
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Devil's Island...

What happens when six unsuspecting people (five involved people actually and one fiancee added on) are brought to a outlandish island in the middle of the San Juan Islands for a reunion?

Hosting the reunion is Lila Carmichael, a brash, crude comedian (visualize Roseanne Barr) and Lila has been holding grudges against these not-very-nice people for many years.

"Innocent Little Crimes" explores a sadistic trick played on one of the gathered many years ago, guilt, people t
Jagged
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
The cover definitely lured me into this read.

Very interesting story that was well put together. Lila's motivation was done perfectly. I loved her characterization. She felt very real. I also liked the way she kind of morphed into this person. She was just interesting all on her own.

I also liked how everyone came to be on the island. They all needed something from the one person they thought was nothing. It just made it easier to enjoy Lila all the more.

The one thing that I really didn't like wa
Scot
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I like the homage to Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians--a powerful, vengeful woman gathers a disparate group of old college friends together for a stormy weekend at a castle on one of the less accessible San Juan Islands, off the coast of Washington State. Tensions rise as do threats and accusations, and you just know things aren't going to end well for at least one of them, probably more. Some of the many flashbacks were obtrusive; the switching between times needed smoothing over. I didn't ...more
Elaine
This was nothing more than planning and executing revenge against a group of college students 15 years after a heart-breaking prank was played against now famous Lila.

Lila was hurt and distrustful of people, holding onto bitterness against others and for so long a time, nursing her hurts. She is finally able to gather these people together, trying to ruin those who've moved on with their lives and had forgotten about their years-earlier prank. She was somehow able to garner private information
Carol
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lila Carmichael waits 15 years to invite her college classmates to a reunion at her mansion on a remote island. In those 15 years, she has become a huge theatrical success and they ... haven't. Though they all wronged her in college, each one comes to the reunion expecting/hoping that Lila will not only have forgotten the wrongs but actually reward them for all they did for her. But Lila hasn't forgotten. On the island, she engages them in a game of wolves that ultimately turns deadly as the gue ...more
Erika Sobin
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-1/2 stars

Fun read. Nice to see two sides/stories to every person and give a conclusion to each character at the end of the story.
Jason Stuckless
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a page-turner, keeping me up. As the author says, it is influenced partially by Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None", something that struck me right away. I loved the premise - a gathering of College classmates to a remote island belonging to one of their own that has made it big. But everything goes wrong.
The idea behind this book - that we all have committed little crimes along the way - was a good one. Seeing the ramifications of what was thought to be harmless was jarri
Rhonda
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I love a good revenge story. The characters are typical selfish, spoiled, individuals and you can't help but laugh at them. Lila is definitely crazy and gets even but in such an unrealistic way. More so the way the characters react is more unrealistic then what she did. The book was less about the revenge then the actual reason she wanted the revenge and the secrets in each of their lives. I did like the book, it was an easy read but while it is fiction it was a little too out there for me. I gu ...more
  • The Creep
  • Fatal Liaison
  • The Devil's Deep (Devil's Deep, #1)
  • Graves' End
  • Hope Road
  • Vigilare (Vigilare, #1)
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • Cedardale Court
  • The Seventh Pillar (The Project, #3)
  • An Eye for Murder (Ellie Foreman, #1)
  • Targeted (Betrayed, #1.5)
  • Silent
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Wrecker
  • Confessions
  • The American Book of the Dead
  • Little Deadly Things
  • Talion
“put on three plays a year. This was Millie's second year in drama, and she had only done bit roles, which suited her fine. She confided in Lila that her real reason for joining the group was to find a husband—she had no acting ambition. All the interesting guys hung around there. They were already into rehearsals of The Owl and the Pussycat, the December production, starring the two most talented actors in school. She persuaded Lila to sneak backstage and watch. Millie ushered Lila into the wings of the dark stage. Lila melted into the curtain and watched the actors rehearse, illuminated only by the work light. Their voices resonated in the empty auditorium, filling Lila with awe. Absorbed in their performance, Lila startled when the instructor called for a break. She realized she had been holding her breath. Suddenly she knew she wanted to join this group. Yet she would never have the courage to do it. How could she? She was no match for these students. They probably had taken acting lessons and performed plays all through high school. All Lila had to her credit was her fifth-grade Christmas performance. But she knew in that moment that every chance she had would be spent in this theater, watching an enchanting world. At the campus bookstore she flipped through a copy of The” 0 likes