Start by marking “The Complete Chronicles of Conan” as Want to Read:
The Complete Chronicles of Conan

The Complete Chronicles of Conan

The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition is a collection of fantasy short stories written by Robert E. Howard featuring his sword and sorcery hero Conan the Barbarian. The book was published in 2006 by Gollancz and is an omnibus of their earlier collections The Conan Chronicles, Volume 1: The People of the Black Circle and The Conan Chronicles, Volume 2: The Hou ...more
Published July 11th 2012 by VRE Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Chronicles of Conan, please sign up.
Kevin I've done quite a bit of research, and yes, this book is the only one I have found that has all of Howard's Conan material in one book; in addition to…moreI've done quite a bit of research, and yes, this book is the only one I have found that has all of Howard's Conan material in one book; in addition to the known drafts.(less)

Start your review of The Complete Chronicles of Conan
Evgeny
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review updated on February 20, 2019

Conan

The original Conan the Cimmerian - what more needs to be said? The barbarian outgrew the original stories and became a household name along with Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes. Robert E. Howard is the grandfather of sword and sorcery genre - and fantasy in ge2019
“Hither
Graeme Rodaughan
Feb 22, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of epic, heroic fantasy lathered with cosmic horror
I'm going to read the whole of this book in 2019, in order (most recently read at top.)

09/Nov/19: 10. Shadows in the Moonlight: Up Next ...

09/Nov/19: 9. Rogues in the House: Conan teams up with a nobleman, and a priest to escape a deadly trap. In the end, there is no honor amongst thieves. Not Howard's best work. 4 beast-ape-man stars.

01/Jul/19: 8. The Pool of the Black One:
"He watched with the calm alertness of a wolf, and when he struck it was with the devastating suddeness of a thunderbolt -"
With echoes of SunOne:/>01/Jul/19:/>09/Nov/19:/>09/Nov/19:
Olivier Delaye
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m glad I finally got around to reading the Conan stories, even if I did take my sweet time to do it. The reason for my delay is twofold: firstly, I thought these stories hadn’t aged well considering that they had been published for the most part in 1934, which is three years before The Hobbit itself was published (so to those out there who think that Tolkien created modern Fantasy, well, sorry guys, but even if his contribution is hugely seminal, Howard was there first. Don’t get me wrong, I a ...more
Carl
Sexist. Racist. Culturally imperialist. But, you know what . . . I had a dang fun time reading them! What? It's pulp fiction about a barbarian who doesn't understand "civilization" and has a personal code of ethics and the swordarm to enforce it among the "civilized" people of the mythical Hyborean age. Were you expecting Shakespeare?
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
8/05/2011

Right. So I'm re-reading (and in a number of instances reading for the first time) the original Conan canon courtesy of this handsome volume (albeit my copy is a bit cat-scratched in a manner that actually makes it more befitting of its battle-scarred subject). I'll be updating this review with my comments on the stories as I read them.

The Phoenix On The Sword: It begins near the end. Near the end of Conan's career as a wandering thief, mercenary and pirate, when he has finally s
Lee Conley
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of my favorite authors/characters/books of all time !!!

Conan!!!!

By Crom, Conan kicks ass. One of the original and still one of the best fantasy characters out there!
This book collects all of Robert E Howards original Conan stories together into one mighty tome. Each story is a standalone but by the end they tell the tale of several parts of Conans life, from his adventurous beginnings to his rise to the crown of Aquilonia.
If you have never read an
Mark
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Ervin Howard (January 22, 1906 – June 11, 1936) lived a short live but created some brilliant characters, for example Solomon Kane the puritan swashbuckler & Kull. Most famous is his creation of Conan the Barbarian. About whom he wrote between 1932 & 1934, lots of short stories and one whole novel "The hour of the Dragon" and while that book did borrow somewhat from his earlier stories it did have the excitement and tension of the shorter Conan stories.

This book contai
Scott Gray
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to make adequate comment on a writer whose work created an entire genre and the larger creative industry that genre spawned. Conan the Barbarian means different things to different people, because the character exists in so many different versions — the original Robert E. Howard stories; the de Camp and Carter pastiches that expanded on Howard's vision and popularity; the new generation of books that the original pastiches inspired; the Marvel comics that pushed sword-and-sorcery into ...more
Sotiris Karaiskos
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Although I have seen most of the films about the adventures of Conan the Barbarian so far I had not read the first stories by Robert E. Howard as I believed were some stories of not very high literary value so I did not think reading them was something urgent. Reading the first of the stories in this collection, I was thinking that the impressions I had before were fully in line with reality, giving me the impression that they were too short, written in haste, exaggerated, repetitive, and genera ...more
Michael Sorbello
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Phoenix on the Sword - 3/5

Conan is a hardcore badass that loves danger, adventure and beautiful maidens as much as he enjoys bashing in some heads with heavy weapons; man and monster alike. He might not be the deepest in terms of character, but you have to admire the sheer amount of adrenaline, excitement and gory intensity he delivers with nearly every scene he's involved in. Although this is the first tale in the Conan series, it takes place near the very end of his journey in
David
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a great collection of Robert E. Howard's stories centering around Conan the Cimmerian (a.k.a. Conan the Barbarian). A very complete appearance of his published Conan stories and of The Hyborian Age, an article describing the peoples and regions of Hyboria. The stories are among the most influential of fantasy, and a must for serious fans of the genre.
Also included are story drafts, a fragment, and synopsis for works that were not completed during Howard's life. A valuable addition
Rachel the Book Harlot
Story 1: The Phoenix on the Sword - rating: 4 stars
Story 2: The Scarlet Citadel - rating: 4.5 stars
J. Hamlet
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-tomes
Despite the unfortunate racial attitudes in Conan the Barbarian lore (as he was writing these in the 1910s through 1930s, he has some of the same problems his contemporary HP Lovecraft had), Robert Howard was perhaps one of the greatest pulp writers ever. After treading through nearly 1000 pages of Conan stories, Howard's imagination never falters. Conan himself is a complex character, a prototype and ancestor of all the anti-heros we see popping up in movies and books. Usually portrayals of Con ...more
Craig
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very handsome edition collecting all of Howard's wonderful Conan stories. I've read them all before over the years in various versions, but it's nice to have them all in a single volume. This one would be on my list if I were to be marooned on an island for a year and could only pick five books to take with me.
Viel Nast
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, conan
The book is hardback with black leather and gold artwork celebrating a century from the birth of R E Howard. The book contains all of his stories published or not without editing or changes, the stories the great man wrote himself. There are countless other stories edited finished or changed by many authors but here are only his own Conan stories. The reader can watch the birth of sword and sorcery and the iconic barbarian that nearly a century after his creation is fresh and relevant. The clash ...more
Susan Laine
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conan is my favorite hero, and sword & sorcery has been a favorite genre of mine since I was a kid. I have read all these stories before in other anthologies, some in English, some in Finnish, but it's good to have them all in one book. My favorite stories in this are The Tower of the Elephant, The Slithering Shadow, Red Nails, and The Pool of the Black One. Highly recommended!
Steven
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The woman who became my wife gave me this as the first birthday gift from her in 2006. I'd better get around to reading this soon, as I've been reading bits and pieces of it over the years since...
Christopher Taylor
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of Howard's Conan books was a nice and low-cost pickup for my Kindle Fire. Each story is pretty short, easy to read in a single night save for a pair of longer tales. I read a few Conan stories when I was in school but its been so long they are all pretty fresh.

For those only familiar with Conan from the movies, the character will be surprising. He prefers to wear heavy armor when he can, he's a lot more clever and subtle than the film character, and he is very learne
Josh
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I originally bought this tome for a friend for christmas, but whilst wrapping it up i thought i'd give it a quick look and found myself instantly enthralled. Over the next few months i would i constantly ask myself 'where has conan been all my life?'
Up until Conan, i, and im sure the rest of you, have had to make do with whoosy lead characters who are described as tough but dont do anything?! And when they do finally kick back their chair and roll up their sleeves, they take one smack on the ch
Simon
Although I've only read about five stories from this edition (so far), I've read most of the Conan stories before in various collections over the years. I already know that it's going to get five stars because most of the stories are great. Those that aren't are still good and are not going to detract from overall high standard of this collection.

This collection contains all the Conan stories written by Robert E Howard in the order they were published including those published posthumously and
Krzysztof
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Conan stories are great, even though many of them follow a very similar pattern, and some even "copy-and-paste" sentences between them. The language of the stories is terrific, however, despite some words being archaic as this point. It certainly cracks you up when Conan 'ejaculates' (shouts). The quality of the stories is pretty constantly high, with some of them a bit weaker than others. None of them aren't bad in any way, however.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this book to all
John Montagne
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good old Conan. You love this work or you hate it. I consider them classics so to review it would inevitably repeat much of what has been said by countless others. Personal opinion, I love it. It is straight forward escapism. Character development? Not so much... is it needed? Not so much... I always loved Howard's history of Conan's world, in fact, I have just as much enjoyment reading about the world and the tribes as much as the stories. And this particular book is a work of art, a leather to ...more
J.G. Keely
A handsome binding (regrettable use of the papyrus font notwithstanding), but I still prefer the Del Rey editions, which use Howard's original manuscripts, untouched by magazine editors or later, inferior authors like de Camp.

My Fantasy Book Suggestions
Libromaniac
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Howard gets short shrift in any discussion of important 20th century authors. He founded an entire genre of literature, and is indirectly responsible for Arnold Schwarzenegger being governor of Kahlifohnia. While this collection, when read in it's entirety, points up the somewhat formulaic nature of Howard's writing, it never fails to thrill. Mildly sexy and exuberantly violent, these tales make for an excellent escape from humdrum modernity, where life's Gordian knots cannot be simply he ...more
Dan McClure
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you get past all the racism and misogyny (but be warned - there's a lot), you can easily see why Howard is the father of sword and sorcery fantasy. He wrote as if in a fever dream (he likely was) and the resulting Conan stories pull the reader along like his hero drags distressing damsels past their various plights, usually naked. You don't have to be naked to read it, but I recommend the no-pants option.
Vomithatsteve
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a whole lot of Conan. Let's be honest. It's WAAAY too much Conan! If you like classic, misogynistic dark fantasy, there'll be something for you to enjoy here.

It's stories are actually pretty fun in a pulpy, over-the-top way. It's always fun to read about some giant barbarian killing some horrid monster from beyond the stars with his teeth.

It's way more conan than you'll ever actually need, but I still enjoyed reading it.
Paul
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, novels, conan
Fans of REH'S Conan stories have been waiting for this book for years!
And I was all giddy to get this and re-read the stories within.
WOW! These are not the watered down verions I'd read as a teen. This is Howard as his crudest Weird Tales versions.
This is THE book displayed prominently on my bookshelves!
Hunter Ryan
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert E Howard was a genius. His Conan stories have an amazing energy - filled with wit and dark fire. He practically started a genre with these stories. Highly recommended.
Gregory Yaden
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conan

true fantasy from a past writer who in my humble opinion deserves more recognition! If you are a fan of fantasy treat yourself to one of the originals!
Michael
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Conan stories are brilliant, I am a big fan, many of the stories follow a very similar pattern, but each hold their own as a great story. The language of the stories is terrific. The quality of the stories is high.

I highly recommend this book to all who haven't read Conan stories yet.

The Stories:

The Hyborian Age
This is an essay by Robert E. Howard pertaining to the Hyborian Age, the fictional setting of his stories about Conan the Cimmerian. It was written in the 1930s bu/>The
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tales of the Dying Earth
  • The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft
  • Hawkmoon (Eternal Champion, #3)
  • The Stealer of Souls
  • Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales
  • H.P. Lovecraft:  The Complete Fiction
  • Pellucidar: The Inner World, Vol 1 (Pellucidar, #1-2)
  • The Compleat Enchanter
  • Stormbringer (The Elric Saga, #6)
  • The Elric Saga Part I (Elric Saga, #1-3)
  • The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Lurker at the Threshold
  • The Shadow of the Torturer (The Book of the New Sun, #1)
  • Three Hearts and Three Lions
  • The Antarktos Cycle
  • Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)
  • Animal Man, Vol. 1
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having create
“Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.” 150 likes
“Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.” 54 likes