Jump to ratings and reviews

Dare

Legal secretary, Olivia Warner enjoys being single and, aside from her closest gal pals, usually keeps to herself. But the night of her thirty-fourth birthday, she and her friends spend a fun-filled evening at a local bar where her friends dare her to approach a man, and spend the night with him. Olivia's not one to turn down a dare, especially from her old college pals. She only hopes the man in question is in for some good conversation, because that's all she'll give him.

Darren “Dare” Shalvis has given up on women. He's tired of being chased for his money, good looks, and prowess in bed. He prefers to meet a woman who, for once, wants nothing more from him than mere conversation. If only the woman asking him to spend the night with her wasn’t his favorite legal secretary…

Accepting a dare has never been so tempting…

67 pages, ebook

First published September 20, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kacey Hammell

30 books127 followers
Avid Reader. Romance Author. Redhead…

Canadian-born author Kacey Hammell is definitely a book-a-holic. A romance reader from a young age, she fell in love with happily ever afters. These days, as a multi-published erotic romance author, she enjoys adding a lot of heat, sass, and emotion to the many genres she writes.

Mom of three, Kacey lives her own happily ever after with her perfect hero in Ontario, Canada.

Some of Kacey's favourite authors include: Suzanne Brockmann, JD Robb, Jaci Burton, Sara Brookes, Patricia A. Rasey, Sandra Brown, JoAnne Kenrick, Emily Cale, Jasmine Haynes, Maya Banks, Terri Schaefer, Lauren Dane, John Grisham, Cherry Adair ... to name a few.

Readers can contact Kacey at kaceyhammell@gmail.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (6%)
1 star
2 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews
Profile Image for Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews.
556 reviews43 followers
December 13, 2012
I really liked Dare by Kacey Hammell. The author really incorporates the right balance of erotica and romance to make this a steamy short read but with the strong romance and emotions that I really love about longer books.

Darren “Dare” Shalvis is a P.I. that occasionally works for legal secretary, Olivia Warner’s firm.

Olivia leaves work and goes out to a bar with her friends for her birthday. When her friends make her birthday dare to find a man and spend the night with him she is shocked. They have had the birthday dare tradition for years now and they have to follow through with the dare.

Olivia is relived to find Dare at the same bar—thinking her friends did not specify what they had to do while they spent the night together, she asks him to spend the night with her.

She is shocked though when Dare expresses a desire to really spend the night with her and his desire for her.

When they go home and spend a bliss filled weekend together they both start thinking long term, but all of that is threatened when Olivia is accused of leaking evidence at work. Evidence only she and Dare knew.

This was fun, sexy and had the strong emotion between Olivia and Dare that made the story fill much more solid and all over better than it would have without it. Not that the sex scenes aren’t great—they are. ;)

I would recommend Dare to anyone looking for a great and quick read!

*I received a hardcover/paperback/eBook copy/ARC of this book for free to review from the author/publisher/tour site; this in no way influenced my review, all opinions are 100% honest and my own.
Profile Image for Carin.
361 reviews38 followers
December 11, 2012
When Olivia and her friends were in college they made a pact to never turn down a dare from each other. One her birthday this year the dare is to get her a man. Olivia must meet a man in the bar they are in and spend until 8 am the next morning with him. Lucky for Olivia she sees someone she knows and she figures she will just ask him over to meet the challenge to the letter if not the meaning.
She has no idea Darren has thought about her a lot and is thrilled to go home with her but he has no intention of sleeping in the guest room.

This novella by Ms. Hammell is hot! hot! hot! and filled with steamy sex scenes from beginning to end. Being a novella there is not a lot of room for back story but the characters are well developed and their personalities come across just fine. It is a short read but certainly delivers in the "wow I need a cold shower" department.

I liked that we get a happy for now with the possibility left open for happy ever after.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for BBMoreB ~.
780 reviews
January 26, 2013
Olivia and Dare were very intriguing characters. However, the short length did appear to put some limitations on the secondary character development. This was regretful because I wanted to see more of the friendship, but I understood it being a novella. Being the greedy (or needy) reader I am, the instant I finished this book I sent the author a message asking about whether she had plans to write books for Olivia's friends – Holly, Jessica & Candy. If she wrote them, would you read them? I know I would.

Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge by The Romance Reviews for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

The Romance Review The Romance Review
Profile Image for Amy.
917 reviews45 followers
October 13, 2012
Very cute. Liked the premise, liked the characters, but it was a little short. And as such, the relationship development felt a little rushed. I didn't really connect with the characters. It was a nice read though.
Profile Image for Tina.
2,564 reviews15 followers
April 9, 2016
Dare by Kacey Hammell is hot hot hot read. Whew make your panties melt kinda read. Olivia I love her. She is an all business by day kinda girl, but get her under the sheets and she has quite the imagination. When she is dared by her friends on her birthday to ask a guy to spend the night with her, she is relieved and excited that Dare is in the bar. She has seen him during the day at her office when he comes in, she has always wanted him. Now she has the perfect chance to get to know him a whole lot better.
Dare is mischievous, bold, and brave. He is a PI and very lucky to be the recipient of the dare that Olivia is doing. He has always wanted the cool secretary but didn't know how to approach her. Now he has his chance and he is taking it with both hands.
I love the play on words in this book. I also love the chemistry and love between Dare and Olivia. When you want a quick read with lots of passion this is the one to pick up.

Five Shooting Stars
Profile Image for Mary.
1,043 reviews18 followers
October 20, 2014
A cute quick read. Olivia is celebrating her birthday with her besties when the inevitable Dare is thrown. She's to find a man to spend the rest of the night with, until 8 a.m. the next morning. Unable to say no to the dare, she spots a familiar face in the crowd and vows to ask for a favor.

Darren, Dare to his friends, is trying to let the worries of the week slide away when Olivia appears at his side. Liking the slightly flustered look on her, he listens to Olivia's proposition, spend the night with her doing normal non-sex thngs with growing excitment. Agreeing to conditions, he adds one of his own. He will spend the night with her, but only if its in her bed.

One night turns into more, and the couple are eager to explore the attraction between them.

I'll be looking for more books by Kacey Hammell.
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.