Start by marking “Avengers: Season One” as Want to Read:
Avengers: Season One

Avengers: Season One

(Marvel Season One)

An all-new original graphic novel, modernizing the formative first days of the super-hero icons that defined pop culture! A hidden foe manipulates the newly minted Avengers from the shadows, meticulously sowing the seeds of discord and mistrust - and causing the new teammates to question the very ties that bind them together as they hunt for the fugitive Hulk. Thor - a sha ...more
Published March 6th 2013 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avengers

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Cute but a little disjointed. The Avengers, being a new team, are easily divided to distrust each other in a scheme conceived by a rather boring version of Loki in a distant planet. Iron Man begins suspecting Thor of being part of an Alien race, Captain America is suspicious Iron Man is behind a naughty scheme, and Thor is suspicious of Captain America's suspicious resurrection. Surprisingly it's Hulk who has some common sense, although is dialogue felt off. And, sorry to say to Goodreads Hulk J ...more
Nicolo Yu
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital-comics
This is not the origin of the Avengers but more of the origin of how they came to trust each other. Peter David writes an original story here that could fit easily into any version of the Avengers, comics or movies. Using characters that have their own solo movies, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor, makes this graphic novel more accessible to a movie going audience looking to branch into the printed comics.

Nothing terribly wrong with this comic, except it is weakened by the multitude of a
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
This was just pretty ridiculous. One of those Avengers books where no one really felt in character. I know it exists primarily to try to get people interested in the comics leaving the theater from the first Avengers film. And I know that mostly because Janet van Dyne was nowhere to be found. This is just Thor, Hulk, Cap and Iron Man. And each other characters feels like a watered down version of their MCU counterparts. Once again, I have a hard time reading an Avengers book when Iron Man is rea ...more
MB Taylor
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
One of the better books from Marvel's 'Season One' series. Unlike the Hulk: Season One and Fantastic Four: Season One, Avengers Season One doesn't try to retell the origin, it leverages it into a new story.

And that story was pretty good, although perhaps a bit more confusing than was required by the plot. The art, on the other hand, was by diverse hands and some of it was too cartoony for my liking, although the opening and closing sequences were pretty nice.

The only Avengers that appear are th
Sierra Faith
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As a first graphic novel, I think this was a really good place to start :) I really enjoyed it and read it under 30 minutes! I wasn't the biggest fan of the art style, and I found quite a few things that were confusing. But like I said I did enjoy it!
Klinta
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was just meh.

I didn't feel like the divided approach and turning on each other really is the right approach. I would have much preferred them to be separate heroes who do not trust each other. A team built only on suspicion and from "weak links" doesn't really function and I don't think that people described in this book would actually ever agree on being "Avengers".

Even more - I didn't really get a feeling that by the end of the book they would trust each other, it seemed that it would b
Noetic_Hatter
Peter David can write humor, and he has the characters' voices down well. The art hurts this one, as all of the artists feel like a mix between JRjr and Ramos, with neither artist's whimsy.

Includes Avengers Assemble #1, which is typical of modern comics in that it's way too busy and decompressed.

Subtracting a star for the art and the crappy AA story. Otherwise, it's a decent read that will make you smile. And there's even a great "inspirational" page with Cap giving a speech about brotherhood-
Adam Fisher
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The "Season One" line of Marvel Comics was established as a way to modernize the origin stories of popular characters and teams. This book covers The Avengers, which is a very well known team, but not one I have read the original origin for.
Wonderfully illustrated, but a little stale on the story, we see the Avengers assembling for the first time, primarily trying to stop a rampaging Hulk. They don't trust each other yet, so the very subtle twists and turns cause each of them to doubt the other.
Matt
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this original graphic novel since 2012. I purchased the Blu-ray of "Marvel's The Avengers" from Walmart because it came packaged with this book. I've had it on my shelf all these years, so I finally read it today. The story inside is either an untold tale from the early days of the Avengers, or a modernization of their early years. The main heroes inside are Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and the Hulk. Loki is also around as a villainous force. The story was OK, and I enjoyed the artw ...more
Scott
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I guess it makes sense that since this is supposed to take place in the early days of the team, that they adopted the writing style of the team. But, if you want a modern take on their origins, just read The Ultimates.
Paxton Holley
Not bad. But not really great, either. A little, pedestrian? Sort of redundant. I'm sure a story VERY similar to this has been done. I'd even say Ultimates 2 with Loki was a better version of this. It's a shame because I love David as a writer.
Scott S.
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not a good team(work) story - I thought it was the Fantastic Four that was originally known for the internal squabbles, not the Avengers - and no Wasp and Ant-Man/Giant-Man!
James
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, comicbooks
The core four hash out their distrust with each other and come to understand each other better.
Joe
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun concept, a fun read.
Seeing these guys at the beginning of the Team brought back fun memories.
Caroline
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-comics
I guess this came out a few years ago for people who have never read an Avengers comic in which case I guess they like their comics boring and kind of ugly and with no women in them...?

The preview of Bendis/Bagley's 'Avengers Assemble' in the back is a bit better, but it's only one issue and I remember that series overall being nothing special.
James Lawner
Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Peter David, long an adept writer of Marvel Comics, wrote the "Season One" graphic novel detailing yet another version of their origin.

A confession: though a lifelong comic reader and collector, I have never read "The Avengers" #1. I was a kid. My allowance didn't stretch that far.

So I know it by hearsay, and this comic plays the game I've already heard of: Iron Man, Thor, a strangely articulate Hulk, and Captain America have formed an embryonic team. Each is off on his own adventure, set up by
M
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Peter David is tapped for the Season One initiative, as writer of the Avengers. Attempting to update classic stories for a modern audience, this volume looks at the dichotomy between the four major Avengers. Tasked with tracking down the Hulk, our Big Three find themselves facing trust issues - further amplified by Loki's machinations. Iron Man think Thor might be an alien invader, Thor worries Cap might not be the real deal, and Captain America might be working for an agent of evil. Confronting ...more
Karina
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This came in a gift set of DVD/Bluray/graphic novel. I don't often read "graphic novels", but I'm sort of expanding in this regard. I've never read any of the Avenger comics before, so really I don't have anything to compare to other than the movie... and the movie wins, hehe. At least in its internal consistency - there's no conflict between science and myth in the movie: Thor is basically from another planet and the things he does just seem like magic to us, but apparently are just very advanc ...more
Elise
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
There were so many laugh-out-loud moments that I nearly gave this four stars (the last page in particular is priceless), but I think this idea's been done better. Peter David is a capable writer who here attempts to blend the campy feeling of the earliest Avengers stories with a more modern sense of plot and humor, but he falls short of the high mark set by Mark Waid with his "Man out of Time" limited run. I find David's Captain America clunky and shallow, but his Iron Man is spot-on. Worth read ...more
Gavin
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
There's nothing wrong with this, but simplified/modernized versions of the early Avengers stories have been redone recently in much better ways (Essential Avengers). This whole Season One thing seems like a way to try and hook people from the Marvel movie Universe into the book world. The characters aren't very fleshed out, the only part I really enjoyed here was the Hulk, and the fact that he was smarter than Cap/Thor/Tony. But I don't think the Hulk was that well spoken when he was Green...at ...more
Grace
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've been getting into graphic novels lately, but I thought I'd try out a marvel comic as I rewatched Age of Ultron this week so I've been in the mood for some Avengers action.
This one didn't have a Wow-factor to it, but it was still good!
I really appreciated the art style! I felt like it was a bit choppy and didn't make sense to me at first, but I eventually got used to it.
Overall, it was satisfactory, but I'm still left wanting more.
Steven
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Wanted to like this more, but was ultimately disappointed. It's less "Avengers" and more Peter David playing with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, & Hulk with intersecting plots. It felt more like Golden Age JSA stories that start with characters together, then they go off and each have a solo adventure, and then come back together at the end.

Or maybe I was just grumpy that Ant-Man and Wasp weren't in it at all.
Lokke
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this was an enjoyable read. The art was nice, even if not exactly my aesthetic. I actually prefered the art in the teaser for the next comic. My favorite panel was the first one with Loki. I enjoyed the parts with Loki and Stark most! I thought the plot was a little flimsy, but I enjoyed it anyway.

(view spoiler)
The Fizza
Apr 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh... the only thing worse than the "all-new original story" within the pages of this book was the 'sneak peak' of the new Avengers Assemble series.

If you bypass the meteoric art, the story concept of this book was somewhat interesting. It being the story of how the Big Three Avengers came to trust each other.

1 and a half stars
Caitlin
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Continuing on with my recent tear through various comics - this Avengers comic, I believe, came bundled with the Avengers Blu-Ray that I received at Christmas last year. For a free comic, it was pretty damn good. I love any of the Asgardian characters, so Loki being involved was awesome. The plot was fairly original in terms of superhero comics as well, so it was an enjoyable read.
Mackenzie Heckbert
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
First try at reading comics and I enjoyed it. I was recommended this volume as a starting point and I think it's a great place for anyone looking to learn a little back story/character development of the Avengers. I only know the movies but it was interesting to see that the film versions of the characters were pretty spot on. Artwork is awesome!
Shane Hartman
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is pretty good considering it was my first real comic style book. This takes place right after the Avengers. Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man are trying to get back the Hulk because he ran away. Anyway they learn a lesson after various set backs by Loki. I would recommend this book to those super hero nerds out there. You know who you are.
Jacob
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Public library copy. The first 100 pages or so contain the work of The Avengers Season One by Peter David. The latter part of the book contains Avengers Assemble issue one by Brian Bendis, which I did not read as A.A. is also collected separately. My A.A. book is currently on hold at my comic shop this week.
Monika Robinson
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
The last two pages sold the book for me because of Tony being, well Tony. The book is great. It's about the newly formed Avengers team and their distrust for each other. The art was okay. At the end of the book you have some sketches and an action script of the book almost page by page, which is a great bonus.

• Civil War #2
  • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #2
  • Astonishing X-Men: Ultimate Collection, Volume 2
  • Boys and Girls
  • Captain Britain and MI13, Vol. 1: Secret Invasion
  • Unholy Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #4)
  • Hero Tales from American History
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Marvel Season One (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • X-Men: Season One