Start by marking “Heart of the Matter: Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Matter: Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives

Heart of the Matter: Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives

Start a Year of Deep-Down Change Today!

Published October 1st 2012 by New Growth Press (first published January 1st 2012)

Start your review of Heart of the Matter: Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives
Mandy J. Hoffman
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Overview

This is a year's worth of daily reflections for changing hearts and lives neatly bound together in a small devotional book. From January 1st through December 31st, each day has one short reflection to read which is based off a scripture passage for you to look up and read in your own Bible. It's a compilation of short challenges from various well-known authors like Ed Welch, David Powlison, Paul David Tripp, Timothy S Lane, and others. In the back of the book you can reference things
Matthew Mitchell
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I call myself a “CCEF Junkie.”

I’m “addicted” to the writings of the leaders of the Christian Counseling and Educational Foundation, a kind of “think-tank” for biblical counseling based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I’m “addicted” because they’ve been so helpful to me! Over the last fifteen years, I’ve learned more about growth in godliness, how people change, and how to help others to change from CCEF than from any other one source.

It started with reading their Journal of Biblical Counseling, th
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this devo! My husband and I started most morning reading this before prayer time and felt encourage and challenged to walk closer with Christ. I would encourage anyone to start this next year reading this one. Thank you Lord for your words that always set me free!
Jane
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best devotional books I have ever read - challenging, encouraging and most importantly God centered
David Dunlap
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the best multi-author daily devotional that I have read to date. There is a nice variety of authors -- some of them speak more directly to me than others. The daily selections are excerpted from larger writings -- all are indexed in the back, which is helpful for pursuing thoughts/authors that are especially helpful. My second time through this helpful book, and I recommend it highly.
Andy Anderson
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, 2018
Collection of daily devotional readings with life change in mind. Most of the authors who are quoted work in the counseling field. Very good thoughts to mull over as you work thru it. A one year devotional.
Candace Wisely
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best devotional I have ever read.
Mary L. Dailey
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful daily bible reflections

This daily reflections with bible quote references was helpful for me to focus and learn and grow on a daily basis.
Harold Cameron
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives”

"Start a Year of Deep-Down Change Today!

Change that goes deeper than the surface of our lives happens as we daily remember the truths of the gospel. Every day we need to be reminded that Jesus, God’s own Son, came to this world to save us from sin, sorrow, and death. We need to remember every day how Jesus’ life, death, resurrection, ascension, and promised return change the way we view ourselves and others. This devotional will be a daily remind
Bob Hayton
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
The Christian Counseling and Education Foundation (CCEF) is a ministry focused on providing biblical counseling materials to the church. Their materials connect the Gospel to all of life and are designed to equip local churches to minister to all of the needs of their congregations. I have previously reviewed some of their books (here and here), and helped teach one of their courses (How People Change). I am constantly impressed by the quality of their work and how practical it is for the real p ...more
Sterling
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reading
Heart of the Matter is 365 one page articles edited for CCEF, and excerpted from authors like Ed Welch and Paul Tripp. The insight is great, and the value to read a page each day throughout the year is phenomenal.

One great quote: Deep change is rarely a matter of knowledge. It is a matter of repentance. We have chosen a path apart from God; repentance is the process of turning back. We have chosen a different story, filled with subtle lies about God, questioning his love, care and compassion. Re
Meredith
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As previously stated, the Christian Counseling and Educational Foundation (CCEF) publishes numerous books and helps for counseling and getting to the true heart of issues. This book is a compilation of their many authors (Paul Tripp, Ed Welch, David Powlison, to name a few)and taking excerpts from their writings to remind Christians who we are in Christ and where the hope and ability for change lies--at the cross of Christ. A great daily devotional book.
Glenn Crouch
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This excellent devotional consists of a daily bible reading together with a short inspirational comment from a variety of authors. I have received great comfort and encouragement from having this as part of my daily devotions in 2015, and would highly recommend it to my fellow Christians - it is of special value to those who are depressed and/or world weary.
Josh
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent daily reminders through Scripture passages and heart-level commentary of the grace available through the Good News of Jesus Christ. A steady diet of this, in addition to the other means of grace, would do any Christian well.
Beau
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, devotional
There was a few entries I liked. But for the most part I did not like it.
Heidi
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring devotional

I really appreciated the daily messages and related scripture in this

book that encouraged and challenged me to look at life through God's Word
Eowyn
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful devotional by a group of very wise pastors and counselors. Succinct-every sentence is packed with wisdom and something on which to reflect or to be challenged.
G Walker
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loving, doing
A very good, practical devotional resource. Few is any come as close in their value. Good stuff. Simple but NOT simplistic.
Deborah Tate
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Not your typical devotional. Thought-provoking without mysticism or sentimentality.
Nancy
Dec 29, 2014 marked it as free-e-bk  ·  review of another edition
12/29/15. Vessel.
Peter West
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Excellent guide for centering your heart, mind, and soul on who you are in Jesus Christ. The words are timely, practical, convicting, and encouraging.
Marguerite Harrell
Started reading this today on Jan 1st, 2015. Looking forward to read this the rest of the year! 12-08-2015, I finish this book early today. Great book to read and to remind yourself the Gospel.
Josie Becerra
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm 17 years of age and I love this book. The greatest thing for me about this book is that it's easy to read, I'm so glad I found this.
Colleen Gonzales
I don't understand how or why this was offered as a free book, but I went to download it, and it says I have to buy it for 4.99. I must be missing something...
Debra
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite devotional for the year - it really helped me gain knowledge and grow in my faith. The devotions and Scripture readings were thoughtful and well-researched.
Jeff
Jan 01, 2015
Thomas King
Apr 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Hidden Village (book 1)
  • McIlhenny's Gold: How a Louisiana Family Built the Tabasco Empire
  • Around the Bend (Sandy Cove #4)
  • God's Leader
  • Climate Change
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America
  • Castaway
  • Bring Up the Bodies
  • Make-Believe Fiancé (Make-Believe Series, #1)
  • The Last Word (Sophie Trace Trilogy #2)
  • Louisiana Hotshot (Talba Wallis, #1)
  • Do Lead: Share Your Vision. Inspire Others. Achieve the Impossible.
  • Covenant College: The Complete Series (Covenant College, #1-5)
  • Poverty Safari
  • Dead White Guys: A Father, His Daughter and the Great Books of the Western World
  • Live Hopefully: A Study in the Book of Nehemiah
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...
“Jesus wins. His justice prevails. His love is seen for what it really is—boundless and irresistible. Our unity with him exceeds our imaginations. We will see that life was much more purposeful than we thought. Everything we ever did by faith—because of Jesus—stands firm and results in “praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed” (1 Peter 1:7).” 1 likes
“Asking for forgiveness is a war between self-righteousness and unearned grace. Between the rules of my kingdom and the commandments of the King. Between a desire to be served and the call to serve. Between living for my own glory and being consumed by the glory of God.” 1 likes