Start by marking “Bitter Sweet (Samantha Sweet #5)” as Want to Read:
Bitter Sweet (Samantha Sweet #5)

Bitter Sweet

(Samantha Sweet #5)

It’s the height of the wedding season at Sweet’s Sweets and Sam has all she can do to stay ahead of the rush of bakery orders. Plus, her side job—breaking into houses—isn’t allowing much summer time off either. Not to mention that her mother is pressuring Sam and Beau to set their wedding date.

When Sam encounters two older women who then die suddenly, it appears that there
Published September 5th 2012 by Secret Staircase Books (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Sweet

Start your review of Bitter Sweet (Samantha Sweet #5)
Sue Ross
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanting more

This series is so addicting i can't stop reading it. Connie Sheldons characters get you so involved with their lives, you are cheering for them, crying for them and just plain link g with them.
Jeanie Jackson
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-amateur
Love it. Another outstanding story for Connie Shelton and Samantha Sweet. Samantha Sweet's job as a bakery owner keeps her busy enough for two people, but she is still committed to the government contract to clear out and maintain foreclosed homes that kept a roof over her head before her bakery took off. With 18 months to go, she doesn't know how she will keep up with the second job especially since it keeps leading her to murder. Her fiance Beau is now officially sheriff and together they tack ...more
Betty
Jan 10, 2014 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deserts, mystery, paranormal
I have now readed 5 of Samantha Sweet Series. I find them well written and entertaining. This book was disappointing as her characters have not developed over 5 books. The first part the book spends a lot of time on descriptions on cakes. Sam is busy with her business that she has no time for Beau or to have life. The work for foreclose homes is just mention. We still know nothing about the box except it has magical powers. I am rating a 3 as it does hold my attention at times and it a good read ...more
Beth
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Winner

Bitter Sweet is an excellent sequel in this delightful, magical cozy mystery series. They are best read in sequence to truly appreciate the story lines.
April
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
Samantha Sweet gets in over her head with this mystery. Zoe, one of Sam's friends, has a friend Lila that dies unexpectedly and Lila’s new husband, one Zoe didn’t know about, sells off all her possessions days after she dies. One of the houses Sam is taking care of for her USDA job has an older woman recently remarried and placed in a care facility who dies unexpectedly too.
Sam can’t shake the feeling that something more is going on here.
It’s June and the bake shop is super busy making wedding
Carlin
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Connie Shelton has done it again. I am now so addicted to the Samantha Sweet mystery series I can't stop reading! This one was wonderful, stopping a ring of serial killers while maintaining her bakery business, Sam is a great heroine. All the characters are fully realized and the relationships more than satisfying.

I definitely recommend that the series be read in order. I also would note that the writing and editing are exceptional. It is a pleasure not having to deal with typos as is often the
Christine
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another terrific mystery by a Connie Shelton. Still stuck with her USDA job for a little longer , Sam is baking up a storm of wedding cakes as well. At one of the houses she maintains she discovers the owners may not have abandoned the property. This leads her to a nursing home and a scam to defraud older women
Deb
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It!!!

I love Connie Shelton--all her books keep me interested until the very end and a lot of all-nighters...😁 I'm always looking forward to the next book she writes so I can stay up all night to finish reading.
Karen
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Connie Shelton has done it again, this ones a real who done it..great red
Sandi
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still enjoying this series so will try Sweets Galore next.
Sandee
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. Sam and Beau encounter more mystery with the deaths of older women in their community. The mystery deepens when the care facility that Beau's mom had been at seems involved. Sam and Beau's relationship continues to develop, new characters join the bakery and the mystery keeps you guessing.
Corinne
I figured out the scam long before the main character did.
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
This was also excellent! I am trying to catch up on this series so that I can stay current as new books come out, so there will be a few more of these to review in the coming days. Thank goodness for the Challenge Factory and other Goodreads groups that help me get thru my backlog of reading material! This one was interesting in that the mystery revolved around women who were scammed into marrying men who were only after their money, and ended up murdering (or attempting to murder) their wives t ...more
Adrienne Testa
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Samantha Sweet, magical bakery owner, girlfriend of the sheriff and USDA worker can't seem to get it together in this story. Its the height of the wedding season, many cakes to be made and she is overwhelmed, the story surrounds a USDA foreclosure. Two eldery women suddenly dies and their husbands inherit it all. Not what it appears and Samantha drags through the story trying to figure it out. The bright spot, she hires a new baker adding a new character to the series.
Candy
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fifth Installment of Sweet

Again I find myself loving another of Connie Shelton's Sweet Books. Most of the series starts out simple enough. Each character seem real. What I also count as a plus, each mystery is different. And Samantha is not portrayed as a gun toting ninja fighting middle aged know-it-all. She is real, and easy to relate to.
Sandy Keller
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Series is better with each book

I love the way the problems of the rich are presented
Each sequel is better than the last
I very read them all
Tonight I begin the Woodcarvers secret
Trisha
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed this series. I still can't get over how her two so very different jobs end up relating in the mystery but they do. Good story line, good characters, good read.
Pat Dombrowski
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Predictable love story
Mrs. Schatz
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Liked going back to Taos, New Mexico and the bakery shop there to visit friends that I have made through these books.
Katie
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read. Some parts were predictable but I still love the suspense each novel delivers.
shirley brown
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Once again the author keeps you interested until the very end. There are times when you think you have solved the mystery only to find out in thee end you were wrong
Laura Jager
Another fun read! These books not only keep me entertained they make me hungry for something sweet!
Bonnie
Annie
Feb 12, 2019
Cheryl L Emery
Apr 27, 2014

• Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • All Those Who Came Before: The Sixth Spookie Town Murder Mystery (Spookie Town Murder Mysteries Book 6)
  • The Diva Sweetens the Pie (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #12)
  • Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • What Lies Beneath the Graves (Spookie Town Murder Mystery #5)
  • Mistletoe Murder (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #4)
  • The Sasha McCandless Series: Volume 2 (Books 4-5.5)
  • Ghosts Beneath Us (Spookie Town Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Exit Wounds (Joanna Brady, #11)
  • The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
  • The Loch Ness Papers (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • Corpse in the Carnations (Lovely Lethal Gardens #3)
  • Hunting Hour (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery, #3)
  • Swamp Santa (Miss Fortune Mystery #16)
  • Past Due for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #3)
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
  • Death in an English Cottage (Murder on Location #2)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
My love of books started with weekly trips to the library as a child and from the moment I learned to read I can't remember a time that I didn't have at least one book going. For the past 25 years, that list has grown to include what I'm reading and what I'm writing at any given time.

I began writing my Charlie Parker series when my husband and I lived on Kauai, then continued them in my home stat

Samantha Sweet (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sweet Masterpiece (Samantha Sweet #1)
  • Sweet's Sweets (Samantha Sweet #2)
  • Sweet Holidays (Samantha Sweet #3)
  • Sweet Hearts (Samantha Sweet #4)
  • Sweets Galore (Samantha Sweet #6)
  • Sweets, Begorra (Samantha Sweet #7)
  • Sweet Payback (Samantha Sweet #8)
  • Sweet Somethings (Samantha Sweet #9)
  • Sweets Forgotten (Samantha Sweet #10)
  • Spooky Sweet (Samantha Sweet #11)