Start by marking “Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem” as Want to Read:
Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem

Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem

In his new cooking poem for young children, Jorge Argueta encourages more creativity and fun in the kitchen as he describes how to make tamalitos from corn masa and cheese, wrapped in cornhusks.

The book opens with an homage to corn -- white, yellow, blue, purple, red and black -- in Maya mythology the first men and women are even said to be made of corn. It has been an imp
Published April 1st 2013 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Tamalitos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tamalitos

Start your review of Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem
Martha DeHoyos
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I recently read this poem book about how to make Tamalitos. This book is a very detail poem book. Each poem explains what goes in to making a tamale, along with some history of the tamales. The last poem remind me of when my family and I gather to make tamales and how we gather everyone to come and enjoy them. Great book to read to students around Christmas time, because it’s a very well know in Hispanic culture to make tamales in this time of year.
Jessie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Two siblings make cheese tamalitos for the family together (with no adults in sight, despite the notes in the text about which steps require adult supervision). The text is a set of instructions they're following, but with a lot of joy.

I think the Spanish poetry here is better than the English, but the translation is fine.
Jo Oehrlein
How to make cheese tamales, with much discussion of corn before hand, drumming during, and enjoyment with family afterwards.

The steps marked with a "*" in the text are meant to be done with adult supervision (that note is hidden up front).
Amanda Vasquez
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-5
Great Biligual poem book. It tells you how to make tamales in English and Spanish. Would be great to read if you do a dual language class.
Maria
This is a good book talking about a traditional food. Great to have in classroom and make an assignment out of it.
Vamos a Leer
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem by Jorge Argueta is a bilingual poetic recipe book.

Central American and other Latino cultures often traditionally eat tamalitos around the time of Christmas and other holiday celebrations. This book recognizes the importance of the dish, and celebrates its simplicity through the fun-filled experience of cooking. It beautifully details the ancestral origin of the main ingredient of tamalitos-corn-then goes on to list the other ingredients and tools
Amber Bush
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Argueta, J. (2013). Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem. Groundwood Books.

Poetry/School Library Journal Review

Picture Book Project

This book is a bilingual poetry book that doubles as an instructional manual for cooking. The poetry book’s text and illustrations show the process of the sibling’s grandmother’s recipe for making this traditional dish. It is written so both younger and older students can appreciate it.

I would love to use this book in my classroom, especially if I had any
Jmercado
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
It’s a great book, in simple, poetic language; the author portrays the whole process with a step-by-step recipe for making corn tamales, helps readers to experience food as culture. This is a great opportunity to elicit and celebrate our children’s culture. Also, given today’s fast-food custom, the wholesome ingredients in these tamalitos and the fun preparation at home bring a great lesson in eating right.

Another plus is the free verse, full of sensorial appealing, and its almost seamless trans
Barbara
Filled with delicious words and phrases ("The husk will be like/ a little sheet for the dough" (unpaged)and "...you have a little dough package./ The dough is like a little pillow/ in the middle of the husk" (unpaged), this poem celebrates the delights of cooking tamalitos. Part recipe and cookbook and part history lesson about corn, the poem provides step by step directions that are guaranteed to make just about anyone want to cook. What is most interesting about this author and his poems celeb ...more
Jen
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
F

Salvadoran Argueta wrote a fun recipe book and the translator, Elisa Amado, has done an amazing job of rendering this verse into playful English that makes you want to eat and dance! Domis colourful watercolour illustrations are bright and cheerful and reflect all the colours of the many different kinds of corn.

This is the most cheerful recipe book I have every read, and we were very happy to see that this is part of a series. The other bilingual cooking poems include Guacamole, Bean Soup and R
Sandra Madrid
This book explains the process of making tamales through poetry. It tells you the steps and the ingredients needed to make Tamales. It has the Spanish version and the English version of the poem in each page.
The books illustrations are appealing, they are not the traditional characters they are unique in appearance. The drawings allow the children to see how to make tamales. I like that the book has English and Spanish. This book goes with my text set because tamales are a part of the Latino cu
Sheila Ortega
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Jorge Argueta's "cooking poems." This one begins with a mention of archeology and Mayan mythology, and then drumming and dancing are worked into the recipe. The students I read it to enjoyed talking about tamales their families make and their favorite kind. The illustrations by Domi are filled with big splashes of watery color. The faces have some crazy grins that I don't like, but I think it's a great idea to have different illustrators for each book. I prefer the metaphor-filled ...more
Samantha
A cooking poem in bilingual text about the process of making tamalitos. Watercolor illustrations.

Text is full of delicious phrases making this a great read aloud. If you're not hungry by the end of this book, read it again! PreK-2.
Angelina Justice
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now I want some Tamales. This might be an El Corporal night:)
Crystal
This is essentially a recipe for tamalitos, little tamales, in the form of a poem. I do enjoy food related books. The poetry was fun. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations though.
Catherine Johnson
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful insight into the fun tradition of making tamalitos. So cute and vibrant. I love the watercolor illustrations.
Chelsea Cotton
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-689
Jorge Argueta presents a delicious book full of cooking poems. The poems walk the reader through making tamales. This story incorporates bilingual language as well as culture.
Minerva Orduno Rincon
Oct 07, 2019
Paula Mason
Oct 16, 2014

• The Complete Maus
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Weather
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • The Ugly Duckling
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Tigers
  • Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 1 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 1]
  • Dark of the Moon (Virgil Flowers, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • The Nose Book
  • Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 (Sailor Moon, #1)
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • The Eye Book
  • Full Moon o Sagashite, Vol. 1
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 (Vampire Knight, #1)
  • Arthur's Reading Race