Start by marking “Raft People” as Want to Read:
Raft People

Raft People

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
What do you do if the sea waters are rising but your escape routes are blocked? Ride along with ordinary people as they try to survive global flooding when the highways are jammed because of refugees and the authorities are overwhelmed.

At the time of the Big Flood, Liz Green is a troubled teen, living with her single mother and two brothers. Lucky for them, their neighbor
Published September 8th 2012 by Kindle Direct Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Raft People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raft People

Tanya Cartwright
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I read Raft People my mind went back to the story of Noah’s Ark. I always wondered how it was, as not much detail was given to the human element of the story other than they were warned; the lead character listened and his family along with animal pairings were saved.

The lead character in Raft People; Liz, gave me an insider’s glimpse of perhaps how the persons of old felt. The fear was real; the pain was real… and you felt that- each time you listened to an account of the story.

We see that s
Maryellen
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Apocalyptic. Catastrophic. Dramatic. Realistic? Catastrophe happens when oil drillers breach the sea-floor of the Gulf of Mexico resulting in the discovery of an immense pocket of water that will cause major flooding and change the entire shape of North America. Mountain tops will become islands and entire cities will disappear under the rising waters. The severity of this natural disaster is all but denied in the beginning by Government Officials.

Single mother Leah Green and her teenage childr
Tania Kliphuis
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Aside from a couple of editorial issues (people generally say "don't" not "do not", or "won't" not "will not" - it got a bit stilted and distracting), I really enjoyed this book. The scary thing is that the scenario doesn't seem far-fetched. At the rate we're going, it's very possible that we could destroy the planet this quickly and with such finality.

I look forward to reading Katz' other title set a few years after the Big Flood.
Brad T.
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoyed this book. Part of me was thinking, "why didnt they use the time and money to build a raft to just drive north," but its fiction so why would I care? It read well, and I would read more books by this author in the future.
Celeste
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and insightful book written through the eyes of a 16 year old schizophrenic.
Katherine
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Because of global warming and a drilling accident that taps into an underground sea, sea levels around the world are rising and forcing people from their homes. However, the government is insisting everything is ok, so many people do not leave until it's too late. Many families build homemade boats - they are called Raft People. One family and their neighbor have decided to build a large boat and float out.

The story overall was pretty good, but I had a few problems with it. First, if I truly be
Em Kay
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a blood a guts apocalypse novel. It is apocalyptic "realism". I felt like the characters reminded me of people I have known, and that yes - this could what would really happen if the sea waters started to rise. The authorities would be stretched too thin, escape routes would be jammed, and people would have to fend for themselves. These scenarios already pay out in major disasters.

There are a few moments of adrenaline peaks, but mostly it is the story of the long and weary work of tr
Tina Albertson
The sea waters are rising, and all escape routes are blocked. Liz Green, a troubled teen, lives with her single mother and two brothers. They live next door to a retired female Special Forces naval operative and an eighty year old navel engineer. Together they build a "raft" called Leah's Foley that would take them from Texas to the "dry line" where the water stops flooding.

I enjoyed this book overall, hence the three star rating. However, the "idea that this could actually happen like this" was
Cheryl Casey
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everything this family and their neighbors did to deal with this disaster was interesting. I'm picky about which books get my time and this one kept me reading. I live in Texas and kept thinking about the very real mass exodus from the Gulf Coast area a few years ago that left the highways impassable and people stranded. This book had a realistic feel to it as opposed to most of the over-the-top apocalyptic event stories. Though the lack of contractions in the dialogue did seem stiff to my Texas ...more
David
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adults / adults
Recommended to David by: Found On A Website List
I think this was a pretty complex topic, and the author thought it out pretty well. Since she is from the Gulf coast, shes probably had some experience with smaller evacuations - and that's why a lot of details seemed realistic. I also felt a strong emotional connection with the characters, and IMO - that's what keeps me reading a story.

IMO - the book will strike a chord with people who are concerned about climate change and disaster prep., or just people who like apocalyptic / disaster adventu
Linda B.D.
At first, I was hesitant to read this and wondered how an author could put all of this together. It was wonderfully written. Unusual, but good. The great flood and how a some people survived. You will laugh at some silly things people did, cry and wonder. You will ask yourself, "how in the world" did they do that. It all comes together as a good book. there was oonly one character I didn't like, but we are not suppose to like all of them. Good, different story with surprising twist. I'm glad to ...more
Ezekiel Carsella
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
wow this book was... riveting to say the least.
M.L. Katz
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Since I wrote it, I liked it. :)
Heather Faville
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
An accident during a drilling operation in the Gulf of Mexico breaks off a rock shelf exposing a subterranean sea . This accident causes the Gulf to rise in sea level, add to this event the melting of glaciers in the Arctic and Antarctic and the waters continue to rise causing massive devastation. Of course, the government attempting to downplay the event causes hundreds of thousands of people to not worry about evacuating until it's too late. Heading out of town to higher ground up North is fut ...more
Chris Bullock
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Potentially this was an enthralling story, however it was spoilt for me by the lack of realism. Groups of people build rafts to escape the encroaching flood, but there is no panic or insurmountable problems, since everything just seems to fall nicely into place. Even with an approaching hurricane the story is treated in the same carefree way. Apparently 30% of the population don't make it, but life goes on as normal, even to the extent that cans of coke, ice cream, watching films, playing games ...more
Bernadette Kefurt
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not a Zombie apocalypse, no killer virus wiping out mankind, EMP that takes out all the electronics on the Planet no alien invasion. But this but was strangely compelling. Ordinary people rising to the occasion. Which in this case happens to be the ever rising waters of Earth. As state after state and country after country is swallowed up by the ocean people have to find ways to survive. And sometimes the best laid plans just go puhh. And sometimes a ragtag group of loosely affiliate people make ...more
Karl S Keene
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Great Ride!

A Great Ride!

"Raft People" was an exciting and captivating story from beginning to end - a great ride! The characters were well-developed and I enjoyed meeting them and getting to know them better as the story went along. The story was so well written that I actually felt like I was there with all of the characters, sharing in their struggles, challenges, hopes and fears. My only negative... the story ended too soon, and I'm going to miss everyone!
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason it didn't get 5 stars was that....I wanted it to be longer. I wanted more interaction amongst The Raft people. I realize why we had the focus on Leah's Folly. It was perfect. But there were other "boats" amongst them and I wanted just a bit more. And I cried. (But could not cry much as the husband was there...he rolls his eyes when books make me cry) I will be searching out more of this author. I hope she makes me cry again.
Teresia
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Ordinary people put into extraordinary circumstances and attempt to make the best of it. I loved that they tried to make interesting meals from whatever they had. In their situation I hope I would be as resourceful. Bad things happened but they took care of each other and became a family.
Linda B.D.
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalyptic
There were several things I loved about this, but many I didn't like. I was a good story. It could have been better. It talked a lot about the daughter that had schizophrenia and her medicine. Why did the author add that? It had nothing to do with the actual story. I felt like it was used a filler for the book.
Tasha
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was engrossing and hard for me to put down, but the writing style suffered greatly from the lack of consistent contractions. People speak in contractions, so this was jarring every time a person spoke out loud. I loved how detailed the work effort for building and maintaining the floating raft/habitat was. The whole "I wonder what will happen next" feeling kept me going to the end.
Lisa Stethem
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had really high hopes for this book. The cover on Amazon looked really cool but I guess I shouldn't judge books by their cover. I read it. That's about all I can say. Didn't really care for it. It's a story...not a very good one but different I guess
Phyllis   Filgate
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Raft people

Raft people

I found this book unexpectedly compelling even though unrealistic
I liked the lack of brutality that so often is a main component in this type of book

wayne ledbetter
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved it

it's a unique premise and well written. I cared for the characters and like the amount of detail given as to the raft. I would love to read more stories about the raft people.
Elaine Flynn
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Good read

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend it for all. It was a bit of the history and geography lesson and also a romance.
Brian Deegan
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
183/82/1
Krisha
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Intriguing plot and some well-developed characters. The story seemed to stagnate even before the raft left. I think the book just needs a little tweaking. Still, I liked it.
Don
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book is okay, but needs a great deal of work.
Laurie
rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2013
Nikkif
Jun 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Joshua
  • Story Time (Story Time, #1)
  • Plaguesville, USA
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • The Battle For New York (Invasion USA, #2)
  • Infection (Alaskan Undead Apocalypse #1)
  • One Man's Island
  • Cracked Earth (The Journal, #1)
  • The Dead
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • Cold Faith and Zombies
  • An Untimely Fall (Renewal #5)
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Objects of Wrath
  • The Vault
  • Wick (Wick, #1)
  • Rebirth (The Judas Syndrome, #2)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)