Start by marking “Mission auf Kostroma” as Want to Read:
Mission auf Kostroma

Mission auf Kostroma (Lt. Leary / RCN #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  5,077 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Er ist der beste Mann, den die Space Navy in ihren Reihen hat: Lt. Daniel Leary. Als auf dem Planeten Kostroma zwei mächtige Militärblöcke aufeinanderprallen und alle diplomatischen Mittel versagen, wird er mit seinem Team auf eine praktisch unmögliche Mission geschickt: die verheerende Schlacht zu verhindern. Doch was, wenn dafür nur noch einige wenige Stunden zur Verfügu ...more
Published March 31st 2007 by Heyne Verlag (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mission auf Kostroma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission auf Kostroma

Per Gunnar
Jun 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of crap! I’m wondering if I read the same book as those other people giving it 4 and 5 stars. The first third (at least) is downright boring. A good chunk of the book is dedicated to binge drinking, disorderly behavior and vomiting. That includes the “hero”. The rest is not much better. When they are not drinking themselves senseless it’s mostly politics. The behavior of the navy personnel, including the officers, is so utterly non-professional that it’s unbelievable.

There’s a ship i
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I picked this up because Eric Raymond mentioned the series in his review of the latest addition. He said:
Drake’s sources are no mystery to anyone who has read Patrick O’Brien’s Aubrey-Maturin series; Daniel Leary and his companion-in-arms Adele Mundy are obvious takes on the bumptious Jack Aubrey and physician/naturalist/spy Stephen Maturin. Drake expends great ingenuity in justifying a near-clone of the Napoleonic-era British Navy in a far future with FTL drives.

Well, I'm a fan of the Patrick
Scarlet
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Aubrey and Maturin go into space. I really liked how he built his universe so that the jargon of the age of sail was able to fit into space travel. And I also really liked that while one of the main characters was a woman, she was able to be friends with the male protagonist without a hint of romance. How refreshing! Another point in the book's favor was that there were no gender-defined roles. The bosun is a woman--Maturin is a woman, for that matter--and good guys and bad guys are a mix of bot ...more
Mark
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't think I've enjoyed a book this much since Lois McMaster Bujold gave Miles Vorkosigan a rest and went full-time into fantasy. I've been aware of David Drake for years, since "Hammer's Slammers," and I've read a number of the Patrick O'Brien books that Drake says he patterned Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy after, so in retrospect it was no real surprise that I enjoyed "With the Lightnings."

Although the antecedents of Leary and Mundy (Aubrey and Maturin) are fairly clear if you've read O'Brie
Aildiin
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, novels
This book is supposedly a classic in that it is the start of a military SF series by David Drake which had a decent following a dozen years ago.
The series is still ongoing as the 10th book is due next year.

I did however not enjoy it much for two reasons :
- Nothing happens much for during the first half of the book. It's expected that the author needs time to describe the setting and the world in a new series but still I have expectations that something (anything!) happens or it gets dead boring
David
After reading the first 50 or so pages 18 months ago, I relegated this book to my "started-deferred" shelf. It seemed to me that this was a story about seagoing ships and sailors that had merely been tweaked to reflect a futuristic setting. More recently, having run out of other books I decided to give it another try and this time "got over the hump" and ended up enjoying the book a fair bit. Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy are interesting characters that will take a long time to get to know well. ...more
Jacqueline
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A great start to one of my favorite series. I love military sci fi space opera. This one delivers with a light touch. The writing and plotting are clear and the characters while familiar are a little something different. Daniel with his sort of endearing womanizing and his extra pound or two and Adele which her tack sharp mind and her inability to really relate emotionally to the world around her.
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6/7/17 4th re-read. A truly enjoyable series.
Daniel Shellenbarger
I approached "With the Lightnings" as a contemporary of David Weber's Honor Harrington books, expecting something in the same vein: a Napoleonic space warfare adventure. Given the premise, focused on a young space navy officer without political connections cast into a complicated political and military situation, this confusion on my part is understandable, but I'm afraid that confusion marred my enjoyment of the book. In fact, the book takes place almost entirely on the surface of a planet and ...more
Andreas
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was put off from reading this for a full eight years mainly due to the horrible cover, but also some misgivings about David Drake. While I loved his Hammer’s Slammers, his writing has often been a bit wooden. The blurb just didn’t do it for me either. Well, I’m so happy to be proven wrong. “With the Lighnings” is quality military SciFi. The RCN series has been likened to the Hornblower books, However Drake himself says they are actually based on the Aubrey/Maturin books. Since those are in the ...more
Jason
Oh... my... GOD! This was just a damn chore to read! I did not care for the prose or the world/galaxy setting. I didn't care about the characters at all & by the time I was at page 200, I realized nothing was really going on. It's as if this novel was just a set up for the rest of the novels & a poor one at that.

I will give Drake credit for not making this a thousand page novel like Peter Hamilton or Weber (though Weber writes fantastic Military Science Fiction). He kept it...um, short--
Alec
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Woosh! That went quickly. I started reading this late on Thursday night and at first I was disappointed as I found the rapid introduction of (and chop between) the characters a little scatter-shot and confusing, although that may have been my tired brain.

I put the book down after a few pages to get to sleep and didn't pick it up again until Friday night. As it happens, I must have chosen the exact point at which the character intro's finished and the action began, because it felt like I had pick
Lora
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea what part of this was inspired by Patrick O'Brian (other than the spaceships acting like real sailing ships), but that's a good thing. When I first heard this series pitched as 'Aubrey/Maturin IN SPACE, oh but Stephen has become a girl' I was skeptical. I figured it was one of those things where the author couldn't handle Jack and Stephen's closeness and had to flop one of the genders in order to make it okay.

Nope. I couldn't recognize very many traits from the inspiration in any
Marko
Sep 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this, given the words of the author stating that he was influenced by Patrick O'Brian. But, unfortunately, the influence seemed to be restricted to strangely sailor-like descriptions of the spaceship crew (who were surprisingly good at carpentry etc. stuff that you would not expect to be amongst the skills of a space-going men) and the fact that the spaceships had all sorts of masts. The main protagonists, although perhaps modelled slightly after Aubrey and Maturin were d ...more
Dave Musicant
Nov 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got to page 100 or so and just gave up. Wow, this book is boring. From looking at the reviews, I see that they bifurcate into two categories: those that say "it was slow to warm up, but it eventually kicked in" and those who say "I got tired of waiting for it to get good, and I quit." I'm clearly in the latter camp. 100 pages of nearly no plot. The male protagonist is a smiling idiot. The female protagonist is dull and unable to get anything done herself. It's military science fiction, but see ...more
Roberta
Jul 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roberta by: David Broussard
Shelves: sciencefiction
I didn't like this book to start with it. It started slow with a lot of world building, and I thought that Leary was a bit of foppish cad and Adele was a cold bitch. As the book moved on, I started liking them a bit more, and the action really lit up in the last 200 pages (400 pages over all).

Not the best SF I've read, but enjoyable. I liked the book enough to read the second one. I won't put Drake up there with Moon, Ringo, Weber, Shepherd, or Bujold because his action just isn't at their leve
Julie Johnson
Jun 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

So sorry to give a book one star but the truth is I couldn't get into this book AT ALL...I really wanted to, I loved the premise of an action packed space opera...I started it...and very patiently waited for said action to start...YAWN! I just couldnt wait anymore so I tried flipping forward a few pages...still nothing much going on, nope...took so long to introduce characters and the political background and the political high jinx...it went on too long for me and I had to give the book up.

I s
D. Jason
Completely enjoyable first installment in Drake's space-opera take on Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series.

The combination of jaunty high adventure with Drake's usual unblinking presentation of brutality works much better for me than his usual straight military SF. The moments of amusement and fun are a good respite from the bleak results of violence.

Drake also makes the very interesting decision to make one of the viewpoint characters a sociopath who knows, more or less, what she is, and tr
David George
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this book as I put the series aside for years and now want to resume and finish it. It is as good as I remember it being. Drake's chosen the Aubrey/Maturin series of O'Brien as his model and he manages to capture that feel while transposing things convincingly to a science fiction setting. What I love about this writer (especially in contrast to many others characterized as "military SF" is that he conveys the sense of chaos, the feeling that events are spinning out of control of the ...more
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
How could I not like this book? It's a homage to the best book series of all time--Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey–Maturin series; it's military science-fiction; and it's written by David Drake, my favorite military SF novelist.

Other book in this series aren't as good. The characters start to become static and it becomes just one adventure after the other. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not that engaging either. The first few books are quite good. I'll be re-reading more of them in the comi
Tressa
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled through 200 pages of With the Lightnings before giving up. I kept reading in hopes of finding redeeming qualities within the characters and/or the civilizations depicted. I kept hoping that basic human decency would show up, but it never did. I guess such a trait is a luxury and, perhaps, a failing in the universe of this book. I found that disappointing and disheartening.
Zad
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been good. The idea was there, good characters were definitely there. However, a loads of narrative summary was also there and this gave a slow moving pace to the story. That's the biggest problem with this book.

The books that follow this might be good but after this I'm not inclined to read them.
Ilona
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love military Science Fiction and have read collaborations by this author in the past so decided to try one by him alone. I was very pleased with my decision, as this turned out to be an action packed adventure with wonderful characters.
Cherie Leblanc
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid read populated with interesting characters. Read them all.
Ron
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in the Leary/Mundy series. Leary manages with the help of Mundy to thwart the takeover of a friendly planet by The Alliance. Plenty of intrigue and space battles!
Tim Hicks
Aubrey & Maturin go to space, huh? I haven't read the O'Brien series, and now I won't. Ihave had enough Mary Sue and Marty Stu books for a lifetime.

There's a decent plot here, but the book that's hung on it is hardly a cliffhanger. One never feels that our two heroes will get so much as a hangnail.

Junior-barely-an-officer seems to have 100 years' experience, is a heroic leader, and can man any station on any spaceship; I wanted to call him Kvothe.

Adele is a mousy librarian with a flimsy b
James
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Total rating: Two Stars
Why? Because my first reading was so poor I gave it one star [and I stand by that review], whereas my second one was much better Three Stars[having read from where I left off, which you could argue make this one reading - I don't, but whatever].

Anyway, my thoughts on the book having now read it for a second time.

Characters: 1.5 Stars
I stand by my opinion in the review below that these characters were so bloody poor, however I grant you that they were a marked improvement
Luisa
Jun 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i won a copy of this book in the good reads giveaway,
and sadly i did not enjoy this book at all, it took me nearly 3 months to finish it,
i just found it very long, like many other reviewers i found that nothing happened for the 1st 3/4 of the book and for me even then it never really got going,
i think i might of helped if there were chapter, i might of be able to motivate myself to read one a day or something, but without them it just seem to go on forever
Jay Carper
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Fun adventure story

Adventure, honor, guns, babes, bombs, battles on land, sea, and space, plus a librarian/hacker who sometimes seems to border on the sociopathic. What's not to like?
John May
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, sci-fi
4 1/2 stars, a really solid adventure/military sci-fi
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new ISBN 2 16 Sep 14, 2016 11:54AM
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • March to the Sea (Empire of Man, #2)
  • Freehold  (Freehold #1)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War, #1)
  • The Creatures of Man
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Lt. Leary / RCN (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Death's Bright Day (Lt. Leary, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Nova
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
“First initiative, then life.” 3 likes