Start by marking “Advanced Language Construction” as Want to Read:
Advanced Language Construction

Advanced Language Construction

The sequel to the Language Construction Kit: learn more about constructed languages and about linguistics: logic, pidgins and creoles, sign languages, the linguistic life cycle, and a meaty step-by-step survey of morphosyntax.

Create detailed and plausible languages for RPGs, fantasy and science fiction, movies, or video games... or just learn more about how languages work
Published 2012 by Yonagu Books

To ask other readers questions about Advanced Language Construction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advanced Language Construction

Leli
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I knew I was going to like this book when it told me, "Aspiring linguists should already know the Greek alphabet...and if you know the Greek alphabet, there's little excuse for not reading Cyrillic." A book after my own heart.
David
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed this book a lot. Mark Rosenfelder is one of the big names in constructed languages, but despite the title of the book, it's less about making languages than it is just about languages. (Of course, you have to know your subject before you can paint it, so that makes sense.) I love reading about different languages' quirks and grammatical structures and "they have a category for that?!" There's plenty of that here; in a sense, it's a curated collection of the wonderful variety of how hum ...more
Finlay
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this in a day after it arrived. The original Language Construction Kit, originally an online article, was a mainstay of my teenage years, when I was into conlanging originally. I remember printing it out at school but at 4-point type to save paper. The older LCK book was basically the online article but fleshed out. This is all-new material. Rosenfelder writes well and includes plenty of real-world examples for the linguistic constructions he mentions in the book. There is a "guest chapter" ...more
Elias
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excelente introducción para los aficionados a la creación de lenguas y a la lingüística en general. Extensión de "Language Construction Kit" del mismo autor. Analiza las lenguas de señas, logográficas, y criollas entre otras.
Jason Tank
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: language
This is the type of book you dog-ear repeatedly so you can come back to a certain section when your creativity is dwindling (or you just want to bash your head against ergativity again).
Jacob