Start by marking “The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings #1)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,817,561 Ratings  ·  15,198 Reviews
The first volume in J.R.R. Tolkien's epic adventure THE LORD OF THE RINGS

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, the Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ri
ebook, 50th Anniversary Edition, 459 pages
Published February 15th 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published July 29th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Fellowship of the Ring, please sign up.

Gerry Bevers I think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey.…moreI think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey. Imagine yourself hiking through the Old Forest, remembering the old stories you had heard about it, and wondering who or what made the trail you are following.

I see Tom Bombadil and Lady Goldberry as adding to the mystery of the forest. They are meant to stimulate our imagination and cause us to wonder about their origin and history, cause us to ask questions about them. They are like the ruins of the castles and fortresses along the way that cause us to wonder who once lived there. They are like the blue-stoned brooch Tom Bombadil found among the treasure in the burial mound of the Borrow-wight, the brooch that causes us to wonder about the woman to whom it once belonged. They are there to remind us that the history of the world goes back many lifetimes and is full of mystery.(less)
Anne-Marie If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of…more
If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.(less)

Lyndz
I refuse to write a review for one of the best books ever written. Asking a serious fantasy fan to write a review for Lord of the Rings is like asking a Christian to write a review for The Bible.
So instead I will supply you with this graph:
Khanh (the meanie)
Never have I been so sad to give a low rating to such a revered book. I'm so sorry. I can't tell you how sorry I am.

Again, I'm so sorry, but I found this book unbelievably dull. I really am so, so sorry. I'm desperately sad about this. This series has been such a foundation for modern-day fantasy that I'm incredibly disappointed in myself for not liking this. I have always wanted to be a Tolkien fangirl. I've always wanted to learn Elvish and get completely offended à la Stephen Colbert but I ca
J.G. Keely
Authors who inspire a movement are usually misunderstood, especially by those they have inspired, and Tolkien is no exception, but one of the biggest misconceptions about Tolkien is the idea that he is somehow an 'innovator of fantasy'. He did add a number of techniques to the repertoire of epic fantasy writers, and these have been dutifully followed by his many imitators, but for the most part, these techniques are little more than bad habits.

Many have called Tolkien by such epithets as 'The Fa
Ana
No words need be said.

(Whoever made this gif should be knighted).

photo aragorn gif_zpsn08i1o3g.gif

Kane
Feb 07, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, by Sauron

Hello. You may remember me as the title character of the Lord of Rings. I go by a lot of names: Dark Lord of Mordor, Sorcerer, Red Eye, Dark Power, Lord of Barad-dûr, Ring-maker and Base Master of Treachery (I use that one in my band). I actually object to Tolkien's chosen name of Sauron, which I understand originates from an adjective that means "foul, putrid" in his crappy invented language. What can I say, the showers in Mordor a
Matt
Jun 01, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really "cool" back in high school. I never made out with girls under the bleachers, or smoked under the bleachers, or did any of the other things under the bleachers that - I am lead to believe - the popular kids did. Instead, I maintained a low profile and waited for the teenage years - that wilderness of strangled thinking - to end.

In high school, as today, I harbored geekish obsessions, had a wandering imagination, and nurtured an appreciation for minutiate. In other words, I should
Voldemort
As a single lady myself, I also love to put a ring on it. And shoutout to my homegurl Sauron!!! you go girl take over middle earth! Reach for the stars! With that balrog on your side you can do anything!
That main dude Frodo tho... reminds me of dat boi Harry... besides what does he need the ring for??
Anyways I gotta give it a low rating cuz theres 2 much frodo, not enough orcs
Bookdragon Sean
I’m not going to write a normal review; it’s almost impossible for a fantasy fan to do so in this case. Instead I’m going to give you a series of ten points to explain exactly why I love this particular book. Take from it what you will. There will be spoilers. Here goes:

1. The wizards!

"“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Now I do love wizards. Who doesn’t? The wisdom of Gandalf is unmatched. He is, in effect, the leader of the forces of light. He
Alejandro
The Journey begins!!!

THE EVOLUTION OF A RING’S STORY

Courage is found in unlikely places.

What started up as an adventure oriented for children turned into an epic fantasy...

...THE epic fantasy book, anything else in the genre after this, born here, any other author writing in this field, began here, and even impacted in many other genres and formats.

Certainly, in The Hobbit, there are dangers, there is death, so thinking about it as a children’s tale is a much debated issue, but it’s clear
Jason Koivu
Nov 22, 2008 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give me a few friends,
a stretch of pleasant hills and an ominous wood.
Let us romp in the remnants of innocence,
free of the fear coursing through the veins of the greater world.
Give me the first half dozen chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring and I will gladly make a little heaven on earth out of it.

After finishing The Hobbit as a young boy, I needed something else, something a little more mature to meet my growing needs. Lucky for me, Tolkien had done just that in the form of his epic trilogy
Doc Opp
Apr 29, 2007 Doc Opp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
Tolkein's masterpiece is notable primarily for its historical significance. He basically invented the fantasy genre, and because of that all fantasy readers owe him a debt of gratitude. Many things in his books will seem somewhat cliche nowadays, but that's because they have been used so often since he wrote this book - almost all of them were original when this book was written.

That said, Tolkein is not a terribly good writer. He tends to go on in excruciating detail about trivial concepts. Par
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own, series
Raise your hand if you remember the awesome book fairs or Scholastic book order forms from back when you were a kid? Well, in middle school I picked up this sweet read in a box set with the rest of the trilogy and The Hobbit. Unfortunately, while I have always been enthusiastic about reading, I did not find the motivation to complete it for almost 15 years.

In the early 90s I read the Hobbit. Then I followed it up by starting this one but lost interest shortly after Tom Bombadil. Tolkien is great
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360, we find ourselves in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and at The Green Dragon Public House, a Tolkien inspired pub. Our special guest tonight is none other than THE Hobbit, Mr. Bilbo Baggins, formerly of the Shire. We’ll have a moment to get to know the individual that has meant so much to generations of literary fans and then to a new generation of movie going fans in this last decade. Bilbo, how are you tonight?

Bilbo Baggins: I’m well; thank you, Anderson, and how about
adam
May 03, 2007 adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the review by Doc Opp; I think he covers it quite nicely. He explains how Tolkien was the forefather of fantasy writing, and why that makes his books important. He also shares his opinion that the historical importance sort of causes people to overlook that Tolkien couldn't write worth beans.

Opp posits that perhaps it has something to do with the concept of heroism being different in Tolkien's days than it is now. I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean I agree that his characters are a stud
Celeste
Mar 17, 2015 Celeste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where would the fantasy genre be without Tolkien? He gave us the first deeply developed fantasy world, and character and plot tropes that are still go-tos for fantasy writers. Are these tropes now overused? Yes, as are tropes in other genres. As King Solomon said, “There’s nothing new under the sun.” We are constantly reusing the ideas of others while trying to improve upon them and make them our own. And we have Tolkien to thank for many of those ideas. I respect him and the Middle-Earth he cre ...more
Linda
(Update: Want to read the complete review? Visit the article in Counterpunch!)

I'll admit this: the only reason why I read the LOTR Trilogy was because I was jealous.

The year: 1972. It was a time of ridiculously insane fashion: hot pants, maxi-coats (and pads) and rough-woven cotton shirts, so scratchy they felt like the sartorial equivalent of surgical gauze with chunks of wood stuck between the weave. It was not for the faint-hearted.

And of course, who was the most faint-hearted? Me. I was ent
Lizzy
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
I expect that that if anyone thinks or says the word fantasy, the first thing that comes to mind is Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings right along with it. I relish a good fantasy, but after watching and loving the movies, I was reluctant to read the book. Perhaps pure stubbornness on my part, biased by a crooked idea that the book couldn’t be as good. I was so wrong!

I loved everything about The Fellowship of the Ring. J.R.R. Tolkien 's book is not a
Alex Farrand
I am going to say 4.5 stars. In the beginning I thought it was a little dull. It was making me weary and sleepy reading it. I actually stopped in the middle of chapters because I couldn't read anymore. I hate that! I kept moving, though. I am determined to finish this trilogy. I should have known this book would have taken me longer to read than expected. The movies took me nine days to finish. Don't judge. I was pregnant during that time and very sleepy.

I am very glad I kept going, because the
Foad
من از سيزده چهارده سالگى رؤياى ارباب حلقه ها را داشتم. اولين بار بخش هاى پراكنده اى از فيلمش را در تلويزيون ديدم: موجوداتى كوتوله ساكن روستايى زيبا، با جادوگرى پير كه آتش بازى راه مى اندازد، و حلقه اى شيطانى كه آرامش دنياى داستان را بر هم مى زند، و سواران تاريك، و چشم آتشينى كه همواره ناظر است.
هر چند هيچ وقت نتوانستم تمام سه گانه را ببينم، ولى همين عناصر به قدرى تخيل نوجوانانه ام را تهييج كرد، كه هميشه سر در آوردن از ماجراى كامل كوتوله ها و حلقه ى شيطانى، يكى از حسرت هايم باقى ماند.

گذشت تا اين ك
James
4+ out of 5 stars to The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien's first novel in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, later made into a billion dollar movie franchise. I count myself lucky to have been able to read this book before it became a movie, though I loved the movie, too.

Why This Book
I was 13 years old when I stumbled upon this book while a friend was reading it. He was a major video gamer, fantasy sports leaguer and avid reader of science fiction. Though we were good friends, I had dif
Whitney Atkinson
Oh geez.

This book fell victim to "It was really great at first but then I had 7 chapters to read in one night so I started skimming it and cramming it was making it less enjoyable and now reading this book feels like a task even though if I was given more time I could enjoy it to its full extent but now after being bored for so many chapters I have no interest in picking it up again outside of class."

Genuinely, I like the world. I love the characterization of Sam and Frodo. I like Gandalf, and
Ahmad Sharabiani
494. The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of The Rings, #1), J.R.R. (John Ronald Reuel) Tolkien
ارباب حلقه ها - جی.آر.آر. تالکین (نگاه، روزنه، ...) جلد اول یاران حلقه
عنوان: خداوندگار حلقه ها؛ قرمانروای حلقه ها؛ ارباب حلقه ها؛ نویسنده: جی.آر.آر. تالکین؛
مترجم: رضا علیزاده؛ تهران، روزنه 1381؛ بخش نخست: یاران حلقه؛ بخش دوم: دو برج؛ بخش سوم: بازگشت شاه؛ چاپ ششم 1391؛ شابک: جلد نخست: 9789643343224؛
کتاب حاضر بخش نخست از مجموعه سه گانه «ارباب حلقه ها» ست. در این کتاب « فرودو بگینز » هابیت جوانی ست که به
Bryce
Oct 12, 2007 Bryce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone. This is an essential read.
I consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy the best fantasy, and perhaps the best fiction, ever written. Middle Earth is a beautiful, rich, complete land to which Narnia pales by comparison (don't get me wrong, I very much like Narnia, too).

The beginning of the quest, which starts innocently but dives into a much larger, darker world than its protagonist, Frodo Baggins, could have ever imagined, is absolutely spellbinding. A small portion of the near-infinite background is revealed and armed with
Anne
CONTENT DISCLAIMER: I was feeling very muppet-y when I wrote this. Please bear with me :D

This book is not for the faint-hearted.
I've never known a book to come with so much baggage, I swear. So first things first.

YOU &YOUR BOOK
In situations where you find yourself entangled with a book like this, the things you have to ask yourself are:
☑ Am I ready for this?
☑ Do I have the time and strength for this?
☑ Am I ready to accept the outcome of this? Because chances are things won't work out at
Chris
Oct 10, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you have an old, worn piece of clothing? Perhaps that sweat shirt that you can’t wear anywhere except to bed or walking your dog? Perhaps it is an old blanket, a pair of shoes, maybe it’s a stuff animal. Regardless of what it is, every time you touch it or smell it, you feel peace, warmth, or perhaps, even home.

Know what I’m talking about? Good, that’s how The Lord of the Rings feels to me. I don’t how many times I’ve read the trilogy itself, let alone each book. I do know that I had to buy a
Becky
I've read this series many, many times, though it's been years since the last time. There was a period between 2001 and 2008 in which this trilogy was in the rotation of several series that I would read again and again and again. So it's pretty safe to say that this was a favorite.

But then in 2008 I joined Goodreads, and my reading habits have changed. I think about books differently, more critically, because now I review them all. And that has not been great news for this read through.

I can s
Glenn Sumi
Herewith Follow Notes On The Fellowship Of The Ring From A First-Time Lord Of The Rings Reader Who Was Enchanted By The Peter Jackson Movies:

•I wish I had read these books when I was younger! Tolkien creates an entire world, and it would have been so cool to have been swept up in this tale of hobbits, dwarves, elves, wizards, Orcs and goblins when I was a young lad. Then again, I’m sure it would have got me to play Dungeons & Dragons, which likely would have made me even more geeky than I
Eric
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.

'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

It is only two lines of a verse long known in Elven-lore:

Seven for the Dwarf-l
Emily
You know how they say
description

That's
description

The Fellowship of the Ring is proof of that! It takes the rule of show-don't-tell and flushes it down the toilet, because who would rather experience all the kick-ass action scenes themselves when they could just hear someone discussing them over dinner tables like they were discussing rice vs. potatoes? Pffft, no one ofc....

Right?

I mean, who likes action anyway. Why don't we just drop all the action in general and add pages of pages of scenery descriptions instead?

He
Kaitlin
This book is one I have been meaning to read for a long, long time and this is the first time I've ever read the whole thing (although I have seen the films and read sections of it many times). I do really like parts of LotR, but I also think it's a story I have a bit too much familiarity with and so it never feels 'exciting' to me. It rather feels a little stale at times. With that said, there's a lot of enjoyment to be had from the story and the characters, and my favourite character is always ...more
  • The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3)
  • The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Swords Against Death (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #2)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)
  • Foxmask (The Light Isles, #2)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3)
  • The Green Pearl (Lyonesse #2)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
48125 likes