Start by marking “From the Ashes (Fires of Redemption, #1)” as Want to Read:
From the Ashes (Fires of Redemption, #1)

From the Ashes

(Fires of Redemption #1)

Sociopath. Killer. Deviant. Monster, devoid of morals, incapable of human emotion. The villain known as Spark has been called that and more, and as a super-powered aberrant has masterminded countless crimes to build his father's inhuman empire.

Yet to professor Sean Archer, this fearsome creature is only Tobias Rutherford--antisocial graduate researcher, quiet underachiever
Published September 7th 2012 by Entangled Publishing (Ever After) (first published September 6th 2012)

Mandapanda
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great m/m urban fantasy with a slight super-hero bent. Ever since the advent of genetic modification of human foetuses, some babies have been born with the aberrant gene. This strips them of emotion at the same time as it gives them dangerous powers. The battle between Aberrants and humans is coming to a head. Spark (Tobias) is the son of the Aberrant leader, his right hand man, and his assassin. He is working undercover at a U.S. university, secretly sabotaging a professor who is working on a c ...more
Vio
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Td
An excellent urban fantasy, it surprised me a lot and what a page turner. Tobias is a fascinating, complex character and even when this cold blooded killer is talking death I felt for him. I loved his voice, compelling and believable it's the struggle and soul searching he goes through that makes the story work so well. Sean and Tobias had great chemistry together, I like these two and cant wait to see where the author will take us in the next installment.
Ami
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Mandapanda
The blurb is good enough for a "recap" and can help me to remember things; so I am just going straight to my opinion ...

I would never know about this story, if not for MandyM posting her review and it appeared on my timeline. At first, I wonder whether I could feel sympathy for a serial killer. In the first chapter, Tobias says that he is his father's (Lord High General Infernus Blaze) shadow. That as Spark, he conquered Laos (and killed million of people). But quickly, Tobias's voice reeled me
Joy (joyous reads)
This was amazing. How the author managed to cram so much in such a slight novel and not leave any stone unturned is truly a feat not a lot of writers can achieve. The author endeavoured (and was successful) to write a full story in a novella that did not leave his readers feeling gypped. Oh and it had a nice twist in the end to boot!

From the Ashes tells a story of Tobias Rutherford, the son of a ruthless aberrant whose primary goal was to rule the world. At first glance, his father was every bit
Susan
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it

I just put this book down and thought to myself: "That was so much fun!"

"From the Ashes" is basically X-men w/ a M/M romance in the backdrop. It's about a mutant population (aberrants) and the humans who fear them. (Sound familiar?) The prince of the aberrants, Blaze/Tobias, lives among the humans (in Berkeley, CA...my town!) and falls in love w/ a professor at his school. He's torn between his duties as an aberrant and his love for the human.

The book unravels a bit slowly in the beginning but h
Kira Decker
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! This is an amazing story. A true must read!
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, reviewed
Where do I start. This story was amazing! The sparks that fly between Tobias and Sean reach out and steal the wind out of your lungs. The anti-hero who you root for is a hard character to write, but Adrien-Luc Sanders does it to perfection.

Too often novellas leave you wanting more. The only thing From the Ashes left me wanting is a sequel.
Buffy Armstrong
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
One of those rare books that I got so caught up in that I forgot to breathe. More than once. Loved it. Enough said.
Edina Rose
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it

Tobias is a superhuman psychopath poised to destroy the human world. He is the son and second in command of the "superhumans king". His specialty is massive destruction and he wiped out the 3 million human population of Laos like it was nothing.

Then he meets gorgeous HUMAN Sean and his heart derails his plans, or to be more accurate, his dad's plans. Daddy is the mastermind here, Tobias is just the executioner.

If you liked The Administration, there is strong chance that you'll like th
Td
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-urban
This was not at all what I was expecting, it was much better. I was immediately drawn in by Tobias' voice and his story. Thanks to MandyM's for coming to the rescue with yet another wonderful review. Take a look for more details.
Alycia
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this story. LOVE. Novellas are difficult because they are so short but I felt this one was perfect and I was never left feeling like I didn't get enough story. Tobias is such an interesting character--he's an anti-hero and an all around bad guy. He has trouble feeling emotions like normal people and his father, the biggest villain around, uses Tobias to do his bidding. Tobias, who has destroyed entire nations, just wants to be left alone. I loved his struggle to understand morals and what ...more
Kerry Schafer
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a tightly and beautifully written novella. Sanders is not afraid to craft characters who are not mainstream - Tobias is a brown, gay, villanous superhero who still manages to escape fitting any sort of stereotype. As a "straight" reader, I still found the m/m love scenes moving and steamy and my heart was fully engaged with the love story. So much of what I want to say would involve spoilers, so I'll end here. I will definitely be watching for any other books from this writer.
Thalarctos
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read. It's nice to read a book where there is a gay hero without it having to be the focus of the story. And there are some tastefully done sex scenes as icing on the cake. :)
Rhianna
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can a sociopath find love?

As with the occasional book, I find myself incapable of summarizing FROM THE ASHES any better than the book's own blurb. Which in this rare case is truly fortunate!

Something I've been seeking but find difficult to get in my science fiction based romances is one featuring protagonist characters that aren't all heterosexual—or caucasian for that matter—without all the fluff and dogma associated with forcing them into gay and lesbian labeling. On a personal level I can enj
Nazarea
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
So. I'm trying to sort out my feeling about this book. On the one hand I loved Sean and Tobias. I liked how both were broken and vulnerable but still strong. I liked the natural evolution of their relationship. I even liked Spark, even if he was a bit of a sociopath. I think what bummed me out wasn't the story (excellent) or characters (perfect) or even the romance (not what I'm used to, but I really loved it). It's that it ended so soon--I wanted way more than I was given. That said, lovely lit ...more
Icedave
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love super-hero stories, so when I saw that Entangled Publishing was releasing some super-hero novellas, I was excited to check them out. I loved the first one that I read, Playing with Fire by Tamara Morgan, so I dove into From the Ashes with a great deal of anticipation. I was sucked into the story on the first page, thought there were a few pacing issues in the middle, and enjoyed the ending, so this is another successful read.

Tobias is an aberrant. He can control electrical currents, and h
Shelly
Sep 22, 2012 rated it did not like it

I fell in like with this book because of the cover – the geometrical shapes of the skin wrapped in wire just fascinated me. The blurb got me further, how interesting and different would it be to have an anti-hero as the main character? How promising a concept that someone could ‘rise from the ashes to become a hero in a world of villains’? Pretty on the outside doesn’t fix the inside…

Twenty-five year old, aberrant Tobias Rutherford, aka Spark, masquerades as a graduate student at UC Berkeley wh
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Spoilers

I so much wanted to like this book, but couldn’t because of this one issue.

+ the protagonist

The story was told in 1st person POV exclusively from the Tobias’s side, and he was everything I could have hoped for. He was crafty, cynical and merciless. Okay, I admit it; he was a wee more merciless than I was comfortable with. I didn’t like that he disposed his dim-witted, ex-boyfriend who got easily manipulated by the hero’s suspicious, keen classmate. Okay, fine, kill the classmate
Diana Paz
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything! Action, amazing characters, and a fascinating story that's unique and incredibly memorable. I got into the book immediately and devoured it in one sitting, and not just because I have a soft spot for super villains. The writing is magnificent, the descriptions made me feel as though I were right there, and the fast pace always felt fun and thoroughly engaging, never rushed. This book kept me turning the pages, breathless for more. In a word... awesome.

I loved the world
Nicole
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
It's like X-Men with actual gay romance. How awesome is that?

It's quite awesome, actually. This story reeled me in and kept me hooked. I've always had a thing for darker characters so I loved Tobias from the beginning. Although I was kind of rooting for him to be good and evil at the same time. I can have both, right?

I loved his relationship with Sean. I love how he starts finding himself, realizing that he doesn't have to be this person he thought he was supposed to be.

I want more of Sean and T
Frau Sorge (Yuki)
I liked the main characters, but I had some high expetations. I wanted to read something... more twisted, more depraved.
Lisa
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This novella was a quick read, but it was very well-done! The narrative was tight and the action was paced well. I loved the protagonist because he's very complex and conflicted. Somehow, the author made a character that could have been cartoonish very real, instead. Spark/Tobias is an aberrant (kind of like a mutant in the X-Men sense) who's expected to follow out the wishes of his dictator/tyrant father, Blaze, and help begin a war against humans in the United States. However, Spark runs into ...more
C.
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Rosie
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I was going to give it a 2.5, but I'm giving it a 3 because Tobias' voice/narration surprised me. I liked how strong it was and how well it portrayed him as a character. Unfortunately, I guess the 'big twist' really early in, and I wasn't a fan of the ending - it seemed rushed and a bit corny. I would have liked some more development in the relationship between Sean and Tobias but what was there was really great. Their conversations were very well-written. Usually I dislike the whole 'heroes wea ...more
Teetee
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this story, i wasnt sure what to expect, i guess i thought it would be a little bit of a lighter read, but this author packed a very nice punch! I also wasnt sure i would enjoy reading about a Thai man in the first person, wasnt sure i would relate as well, but i felt for and connected with the character and wanted Tobias to make the right choice. Watching him fall in love with Sean was lovely and realistic, he's hesitant but yearning, knowing he shouldnt but doing it anyways. An ...more
Nemesis
My main disappointment concerns the easy way how the conflicts were resolved. Probably the length of this story contributed very much to this development. It was too short, too rushed toward the ending, not very believable. And the romance between Tobias and Sean was too sweet. I like sweet, but it must be a natural result of the protagonists' interactions and their development as a couple throughout the story, not something that feels unrelated to their past choices and motivations or
Nana
4.9 Stars
A gorgeous cover, exciting summary, amazing characters, emotional narration and great pace. I've waited for this book for a long time and I must say that I've no regrets. The author created a simple and yet so complex setting, as said, such contraditions.
Only not 5 stars because the ending felt rushed. Yet I can't wait for a sequel ou another book from the author, the writting style was beautiful!
Jessie Devine
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love love LOVE the love story in this book. It's sexy and sweet and what can I say? I'm a sucker for forbidden love. I also liked the question-what-you've-been-taught idea. This book is brilliant. You should read it.
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Sexy, supernatural superheroes who fall in love as they try to save the world...who wouldn't love it?!

*Review coming soon!*