Start by marking “Worth the Weight (The Worth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Worth the Weight (The Worth, #1)

Worth the Weight

(The Worth #1)

A new body. A new life. An old flame?

Lizzie Hampton is literally a shadow of her former self. Having lost half her body weight, she's headed to her small hometown to test out her new body on an old flame. Just a harmless fling to get her self-confidence back before she returns to the city and the new man in her life.

But Lizzie's plan has a few bumps in the road.

Finn Robbin
Published October 7th 2012 by Self (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Worth the Weight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worth the Weight

Start your review of Worth the Weight (The Worth, #1)
Jess
Might be spoilery?

Abandoned.

I knew what it was going to be like before I started reading it, but it was free, so hey, why not, right?

I understand that the protag was in a completely different situation that I myself am, and I get that. But as interesting as the story itself was, the constant fat-shaming was not endearing me to the character. Yes, she grew up a size 10 and at some point between her youth and mid 30s she doubled in size and was horribly humiliated during a potential sexual encount
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Nov 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF'd at 18%. I had zero respect for either hero or heroine, and my tolerance level for "woe is me, I used to be fat" bullshit is abysmally low. OK, you used to be overweight and now you're not. We get it. Move.On.

The saddest part, however, was that even though I was annoyed, I was also bored. And I think that's saying something.
Jamie
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Worth the Weight is my first book by Mara Jacobs. I came across this book as a free read, and wasn't too impressed with some of the reviews for it. Still, it was free and I decided there wouldn't be any loss should I try it and not like it. I'm really happy I took the chance.

Summary:
Elizabeth "Lizzie" Hampton is headed to her small Michigan hometown from where she has lived the past eighteen years in Detroit. She's a new woman and has a plan to fulfill the one dream she never allowed herself to
Jessica
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I bought this book after a bad review. Maybe not bad, but probably a 'C' review. I think the reviewer said the hero was to insecure for her. Since I'm way over Alphaholes, I'll give anything that's not borderline abusive a try. It does brush against one of my least favorite tropes - lose weight/find love - but I read it anyway.

I'm glad to report that the weight is not about the hero and his reaction to the heroine's new body. He only knew her when she was thin in her earlier life - so he wasn't
Steelwhisper

Some people have a very curious idea about what acceptable behaviour is.

Oh, and anyone who was so obese as to have stretchmarks, doesn't just have "jiggely thighs", they have an enormous excess of skin, which needs surgery, and that leaves scars. I would have been on board with an honest story about what it means to lose so much weight and then start being intimate again, but as it is this heroine is a totally pukeworthy liar, and the weight loss comes right out of a Disney movie.
Margo
Oct 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh, hurrah, another book where the h had absolutely no self esteem due to her weight, and who had the juvenile logic of a middle-schooler.

Why can't there be a book where the plus-sized/curvy heroine has SOME self-esteem issues (like many women do), but isn't in need of ongoing psychological help?
Sequoia
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital, romance
Good read, page turner. Much too long and woefully predictable
Emily
With a check list in hand Lizzie Hampton returns home with one particular goal in mind, Finn Robbins. Finn isn't looking for attachments, he has had enough of marriage and has enough priorities as it is. When Lizzie and Finn meet again the feelings they had when they were teenagers is back in full force but as the feelings continue to grow they both question if what they have is anything but temporary.

There is another part of the story that delves into Lizzie losing weight and the reasons behind
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF at 28%. Because looks and being skinny are the only things that matter.

No thank you.
Casey
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I knew this plan was going to go downhill. I never felt more anxious and scared for a character in a book than I did for Lizzie Hampton.

The book is just what the description reads: Girl leaves town, goes to college, gains a lot of weight, loses it, then wants to test it out on a "safe bet". On someone she knows would always be there to have sex with her.

I'm more of "they-fall-in-love-decide-to-have-a-future-then-we-get-to-the-juicy-details" kind of gal. This "Plan" of Lizzie's worried me from
Jessica
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
As someone who struggles with her own body issues, there were parts of this book that made me think, "Wow, I could have written this, because that's EXACTLY how I feel" or "Whoa, I was just thinking the same thing yesterday". Also, having spent some time in the Houghton/Hancock area of Michigan's U.P., I enjoyed the author's description of the setting. A few problems - its predictability (then again, it's a romance, how ELSE is it supposed to end?), quite a few spelling and grammatical errors (I ...more
Jill
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the "Worth" series by Mara Jacobs.

Elizabeth fell in love with Finn in high school. When Finn saw that things were really heating up but their lives were headed in different directions, he not only broke up with Liz, he broke her heart.

Fast forward 15 years. Liz has a successful PR firm in Detroit, specializing in athletes, and has struggled for the past 3 years to lose the ton of weight she gained after she left home. She's come back home to visit her parents and friends fo
Liz Lawson
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Light romance between Finn & Elizabeth (Lizzie). Finn and Lizzie dated when she was 18 - he broke her heart by rejecting her. Years later she returns to their home town with "A Plan". This is the story of Lizzie's plan which was to be a fling with Finn. Trials and tribulations of that fling.
sequel Work the drive - this is the story of Lizzie's friend Kate.
Vikki Vaught
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Musings

This one started a bit slow, but before long, I fell in love with Lizzy and Finn and of course, Annie. The author seems to understand eating disorders, and she really touched my soul. This book came really close to earning 5 stars. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series. Happy ☺reading 📚!
Jennifer Dale
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loaned-myself
Cute.
Coco.V
Oct 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (10/16/2017)!
Jo-Anne
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liz has her own successful PR firm in Detroit where most of her clients are well known athletes. She had gained a lot of weight after school and worked hard to lose it in the last three years. One of the things she wanted to do now was to Find, F*^% and Forget Finn Robbins who she was in-love with when she was a teenager, but he broke up with her, leaving her heart broken. She goes back to that small town to stay with her parents for two months so she can carry out "The Plan" with Finn. Liz want ...more
Tumika Patrice
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth, on the surface, has it made. She’s a successful business owner, beautiful, from a great family and is an all around nice girl. But things are not always as they appear. For as together as her life seems, there are areas that she just can’t seem to get a hold on. After losing a great deal of weight, Elizabeth is determined to make up for lost time and secure herself a lover before settling down with her dream man.

Finn is a hardworking man who has never had anything handed to him. Despi
Pam Nelson
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay I tried to write a review on audible because that is where I got this book. But for some reason it never finished and I accidentally submitted. I really wanted to read this book because of it being a plus size character. As a plus size woman myself I like to read about women in my size or smaller it makes the book more realistic in my mind even though I know it's fiction. I really enjoyed the story I'm glad is a happily ever after. Her girlfriends were supportive and judgmental. Like most g ...more
Elsiekate
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Gina Folkersen
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book even though I had doubts about it from the bad reviews I had seen. I could totally relate to the character and now I see why some gave bad reviews. Those readers could never possibly understand the correlation between eating/obesity/OCD issues and the need to plan every aspect of life and to be in control unless they have lived it and been hurt somewhere in life to the point that they NEED to stay in control while still fighting deep rooted insecurities. This book cou ...more
Beck Frost
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
So, there is this not-so-secret secret that publishers will drop the kindle version of the first book in a series to free right before the latest book in the series comes out. This is the hopes of getting you reading the series and then paying money to finish it. It seems like good marketing to me because if you get the first sample for free, you can decide to support the rest in the series or not. I got this book for free in one of these deals. I must say that I was surprised at how much I actu ...more
Brittany
Apr 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, free
I grudgingly grabbed this free title despite repeated misgivings based on the cover art and the title alone. I was not misguided in my hesitancy.

The author starts out subtly fat-shaming and implying that the protagonist's only hope at getting back this man from her high school days is because she's thin again. While it's never explicitly stated that this woman's only true value appears when she loses the weight she gained, it is repeatedly, insidiously entwined in the "plot".

I forced myself to k
Ashley Drumm
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, romance, series
A New Body...A New Life...An Old Flame?

Just a harmless fling to get her self confidence back before she returns to the city and the new man in her life.

But Lizzie's plan has a few bumps in the road.

Finn Robbins can't believe Liz is back in town. Desperate to be the holder of her innocence eighteen years ago, he never got the chance
Miranda Starmz
[2015 Reading Challenge]

A book with bad reviews

the romance was cute-ish, although the thought processes disturbing at times. other than that, well, there's nothing quite going for it ... although i do actually want to check out the second instalment to find out how life goes for the protagonist's friend.

so, perhaps, it wasn't a total debacle after all.

plus, i needed to check off the 'romance' item on my reading challenge, and considering this was free, i thought, why not? it needs quite a bit of
Jo
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Lizzie has returned to her home town to find, F*** and forget Flynn the guy who dumped her as a teenager. She has lost a load of weight and wants to test out her body on someone who she can't care about, before heading into a relationship with someone more appropriate!

And so the story starts and you can guess the ending early on in the book, but to be honest an OK read and kept my interest despite the guess!
Lynn
I didn't really like the main male character -whiney, full of self pity and self sabotage as well as pretty narcissistic at times. While I liked the main female better her constant internal thoughts about her body issues and insecurities somehow felt more like a downer than what I think was the intended message to be (which I think was going for self awareness and acceptance). I think it will have a fairly broad audience, it just wasn't for me. ...more
Daniela
Jul 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
DNF - I just couldnt bring myself to finish the book. The writing and story was good if a little slow moving. Dont get me wrong. I jumped to the next in the series. But the female character has such weight issues and the male had such a difficult family life, it felt like a train wreck waiting to happen. I just couldnt watch it.
Dan
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old love new life.

I love those old love, reconnecting stories. Ms. Jacobs did a fine job of keeping the flow smooth and added just enough surprises that I didn't want to put the book down. And now I'm wondering why I reread the thing. It was definitely worth the second time around.
Lesley Book Lover
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-amazon, kindle
Finally finished this book, it just seemed very slow, and I just couldn't get into it properly. There was also a lot of errors, so needs more work doing on it. I doubt I will be reading anymore books by this author. ...more

• Crossing The Line (Taming The Tulanes #3)
  • Second Chance Spring (Singletree, #4)
  • Then Came You (Compass Cove, #1)
  • Wicked in Winter (Lost Harbor, Alaska, #4)
  • Like a Boss (Double Trouble Duet, #1)
  • Can't Help Falling In Love (Calamity Falls #6)
  • The Return (Second Chance Flower Shop, #1)
  • Glam Squad & Groomsmen (Enchanted Bridal #4)
  • Next Door Knight (Man's Best Friend, #2)
  • Love and Shenanigans (Ballybeg, #1)
  • Scandal with a Prince (Royal Scandals, #1)
  • Her Dakota Man (Dakota Hearts, #1)
  • Sweet Montana Sky (Sweet Montana, #1)
  • Unsung Hero (Band of Brothers #1)
  • Free Me (Free #1)
  • Set the Night on Fire (Jupiter Point, #1)
  • Father Found (The Daddy School, #1)
  • My Perfect Ex-Boyfriend (Perfect Guy #1)
See top shelves…
Mara Jacobs is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Worth series.

After graduating from Michigan State University with a degree in advertising, Mara spent several years working at daily newspapers in advertising sales and production. This certainly prepared her for the world of deadlines!

She writes mysteries with romance, thrillers with romance, and romances with…well, you get

The Worth (8 books)
  • Worth the Drive (The Worth, #2)
  • Worth The Fall (The Worth, #3)
  • Worth the Effort (The Worth, #4)
  • Worth The Price (The Worth, #5)
  • Worth The Lies (The Worth #6)
  • Worth The Flight (The Worth, #7)
  • Worth The Burn (The Worth, #8)

News & Interviews

“Like they said, when you have a boy you worry about one boy, when you have a girl…you worry about all the boys.” 1 likes
“The rest of them would just dry off as much as possible then throw shorts and tees on over their suits. They were from the Copper Country—with water everywhere you turned—so they were used to sitting on towels in their car seats in the summer.” 0 likes