Start by marking “6 Seconds of Life” as Want to Read:
6 Seconds of Life

6 Seconds of Life

Maura has just jumped.

Now she has precisely six seconds until she hits the water below her--just six more seconds until she is finally freed from her mundane and aimless existence. Freed of all of the regrets and disappointments that have haunted her throughout her nineteen years.

She just needs to be free.

But as she falls, the most pivot
Published September 1st 2012 by Createspace

Aa'Ishah
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this, and read what it was about, I was intrigued. A girl who steps off a bridge and has six seconds before she crashes into the sea - six seconds to reflect on her life, to think about her relationship with her parents, with her boyfriend, to think about the utter mess that her life had become. I was so curious to see how the author could manage to write a story that covered the span of six seconds and if it would work.

Let me tell you, Tonya Fitzharris rocked it.
Tana
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
6 Seconds of Life by Tonya Fitzharris

I have to say first I don’t even know where to start with this review besides WOW!!

Tonya Fitzharris has shared with us a very emotional, well written novel. 6 Seconds of Life is a book that you must or I may even say should read. The plot was well written, characters in her book were described beautifully and at times it was disheartening to me what Maura had gone through.

So not to give anything away but Maura is at the end and cannot
Maryellen
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Go ahead, count to six.

I'll wait.

Done?

Nineteen year old Maura Yermakova just jumped off a bridge. In six seconds she will hit the water. In those six seconds we live Maura's life. What a pained and dark life. Maura tells us her story in heartbreaking fragments that will reduce you to tears and move you to fury. You will feel her pain and utter despair. In all of those fragments you will come to love a very broken Maura. She'll get under your skin and stay in your heart.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
3.5 Stars

6 Seconds of Life is a new adult book that focuses on the life of a college student named Maura, which each second that passing her descent towards the water below her we get to see a tiny piece of her life and the actions that made her take that final step towards ending everything.

This is definitely not a lighter novel, but it was one that I ended up being pleasantly surprised about. It was one of those books I had tucked into the dark corners of my kindle, and
Ivana
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
It would be odd to say that I enjoyed this novel because there is little enjoyment in spending time in the company of a depressed teenager with anxiety disorder. Reading 6 Seconds of Life was like watching a trainwreck. What else can you expect, given that the novel opens with Maura jumping off the Golden Gate bridge?

As she falls, she recounts the events that had the most impact on her life and the decision to end it. I loved how unreliable the narrator was; we know that she has some
Ashley Williams
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This book is breathtaking, and very realistic. It's also tragic on so many different levels. The way that Maura is treated throughout her life is something I can easily relate to, and I feel a strong bond to her. My favourite part was definitely 0:00 seconds in the book.

Cover/format of book/writing style

Since this book is more contemporary I would've liked to see a more contemporary cover. However this is cute and suiting. The format of the book kept you engaged. It starts in the present, t
TheCosyDragon
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Maura's life has fallen apart to the point at which she wants to die. In fact, she's jumping off the bridge and having her life replayed before her eyes right as you read. This novel is told as excerpts from her life in a breathtaking and spellbinding 6 seconds of text.

I applied for this book, because mental illness is one
Leigh (bibliosky)
Shelves: contemporary, ya, 012
ORIGINAL REVIEW AT Little Book Star
Rate: 4.5/5

Wow this book is something! You guys have to read it. Just by looking at the cover, I know I had to read this book because I knew I would relate to the story somehow. And I wasn’t wrong. When Maura commits suicide by jumping off a bridge, during the 6 seconds she’s on air, she remembers all of the tragedies, hatred, and pain she felt which we get to read. This book is wonderfully written, and I swear you will relate to it. I guarantee you that
Julie Rimpula
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disturbing and emotional. I did not shed a tear but 6 Seconds of Life broke my heart.

My heart ached for Maura. She's insecure and unstable and emotionally abused. What hurt the most was that the abuse came from the people who should be the first to take care of her. I'm not going to enumerate the things that pushed her into wanting to end her own life because those will make a long list. Just know that those things are so horrible that no teenager should be shouldering them, especially a
Cherie
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow! This was a really intense and gut-wrenching read dealing with depression and suicide. It made me want to cry, made me want to shake the main character, made me want to scream at her parents, made me want to punch out her supposed friend. An author who can make me feel so strongly is doing something right in my opinion.

Maura has just jumped from a bridge in an attempt at suicide. Told in snippets that start in high school and end in college, we see glimpses of the major events th
Neysa (Papier Revue)
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-owned
[FOR MORE REVIEW, CHECK OUT : http://mnkbooklife.blogspot.com/]

The blurb of 6 Seconds of Life had definitely caught my attention, with its first sentence being so captivating yet vague, it kept reader guessing about what this book would be about. And when I had finished reading it, the feeling still lingered for quite a long time.

This book introduced us to Maura Yermakova who struggled with her life and her family. Being faced with a shattering family, dull school life, and constant pain and pressure, Maura
Martha
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Just wow! You read books where someone is being talked out of suicide but in this one you are literally with the character as she, Maura, is going through her life as she's falling to her death!

6 Seconds of Life was and is breath-taking! You meet and get to know Maura and find out everything that drives her to this decision. A lot of it is so sad and just made me want to cry and hug Maura because I've been through some of the things she's been so she is relatable. One of the things that re
Latoya
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Maura is an extremely broken individual. She's withdrawn internally never truly letting anyone get close to her though that seems to be the one thing she desires. Then one day, someone actually sees her and she just begins to trust him, even moves to another side of the country to be with him. Owen, her boyfriend, encourages her to join in the rush activities while in college as he thinks it will get her to be more social. He couldn't be more wrong as things start to turn sour in every aspect o ...more
Cindy
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are such things as captivating covers and captivating teasers. And I must say, in this case, the teaser really captivated me. I mean, I knew I had to read this book, and luckily, it was on book tour, so I got to read it, thanks to Tonya Fitzharris. :)

That six seconds is like a very important part of her life. The last six seconds she, Maura, have left to live. In those few precious seconds, Maura had basically relived though her recent part of her life. That part that took her by the hai
Marcia
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I think the idea of 6 Seconds of Life is amazing. What would you think if you had only 6 seconds left to live?

This book tells Maura's story. She's done with life and has decided to end hers. Maura jumps of a bridge in the first chapter. Following are six seconds in which she reflects on her life.
It's interesting to read Maura's story in those flashbacks. While reading the little snippets of her life, you feel for Maura and want to save her life. But, even though Fitzharris writes a lot about Maura
Kimmie
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I read the blurb for 6 Seconds of Life, I just knew I had to read it. I had to find out what would cause a girl to try to take her own life by jumping off a bridge. I have to say this is one of those stories that will stay with you long after you finish reading it.

I felt so bad for Maura in this story. She did not have an easy go with life, she had so many things working against her. It has been awhile since I've really connected with a character like I did with Maura
Jess(ToTheMoonAndBackReviews)
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Everyone has that moment in life where they hit rock bottom, where the light not longer gets through the darkness of the life.

In this book, one girl actually follows through with those dark thoughts and jumps. In those six seconds before her life will be snuffed out we are taken back to see what finally pushes her off the edge and into that dark abyss that people struggle to get through.

This book was a very dark read, and it was so realistic that it makes you
Candice
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this books through the GoodReads giveaway!
________________________________________

Actual rating 3.5 stars
________________________________________

When I originally entered to win 6 Seconds of Life, my life was going well. Then after I entered and soon forgotten that I had entered my brother tried to commit suicide. So once I was notified that I had won a copy of the book, I wanted something that felt real.

Going into the book, I wasn't convinced that it w
Leeanne
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tonya Harris most definitely is a fantastic writer. One who is able to walk in someone else's shoes. And in this case she takes the hard task of telling a story of a lonely, troubled girl who had an unstable childhood because of her parents. Harris really really understands the awkwardness and outcast feelings a teenager feels growing up. And trying to discover ones self during it. I don't think I've ever found it so easy to empathize with a voice so much. Harris made Maura's strong,and vibrant, ...more
Disincentive/Feta
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
EXCERPT. GIVEAWAY. GUEST POST. http://disincentive-reviews.blogspot....
description

MY EMOTIONS. OH MY GOD WHAT WAS I GIVEN EMOTIONS, WHY?

When I finished this book it was 1am and I was crying over a fictional character. I honestly can't describe my feels. At the beggining, I didn't like this book. To be honest, it was boring as hell. But I thought I just have to review it, so I kept reading.

Six seconds of life left and so many memories to remember: I felt I became one with Maura, she felt so real. I know how depression feels and how Maura felt is real.
Pragya
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book started off sensationally well. Wow, what a start!

As the seconds count down, the replay of Maura’s life looms behind her eyes and we get to see and experience her life.

The book is full of psychological insight, roller-coaster emotions, teenage problems and family dramas.

I liked the first half better than the second one though. It seemed more appealing to me and I devoured it quickly. The second half just seems to have lost steam and I feel it just tak
Czarina
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maura only has 6 seconds left before she hits the water & her misery will be over. In that 6 seconds, her life flashes before her; everything that happened that made her jump off the edge.

I love the concept of this. Yes, it's depressing but it's something that I've never read before. Maura is not a very like-able character. She's selfish and annoying, even insane at times, but I get where she's coming from. Also, I think the ending was too abrupt and lacking.

I could'v
Abigailann (Abigail)
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it

A basic premise, writing about in a truly emotionally fashion. The more I read, the more I felt as if I was gaining a sneak-peak into the real (and unfortunate) life of a teenager in turmoil. Starting in the midst of the action, flashbacks explain how Maura came to this tragic point.

The characters were believable and, at times, I almost felt as if I was reading a memoir rather than a work of fiction. The tale is no doubt one which is very real for many, and a story which we can often forget. ...more
Rachel
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing story!
Maura commits suicide by jumping off a bridge but as she jumps she has flashbacks of all hurt, pain, everything in her life that was basically completely miserable.
The book was very emotional and a lot of people will probably be able to relate to it and it was very well written.
It was also saddening that she couldn't come out of that black hole she was in.
I will not say anything further as I do not want to spoil it for those wanting to read it.
Susan
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
"6 Seconds of Life" was a challenging book to read since you can relate to it within your own life, or a life of someone you know, but one that I was totally impressed with. Although a work of fiction, this book is one that is and could be important for some. Tonya pens her characters realistic and full of emotions in a well thought out plot. It Highly recommended for everyone!

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
Danielle Stanley
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
OMG what a book.......i think this is one book that will stick with me for a long time!! I would have rated it 5 stars if there would have been more of an ending!! I had such mixed opinions about this woman....

As for Owen hasnt he ever seen the movie When A Man Loves a Woman....i am so disappointed in him because I really really liked him in the beginning!!!
angela reed
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark

I've never had someone paint the perfect picture of depression before. I've never actually tried to die, but I know people who have, and this book described perfectly the darkness that surrounds them. For anyone considering suicide, try to remember that it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Find someone to talk to, and let them in !
Oliver
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This book just left me feeling dissapointed. Yes, Maura's story was sad, but there are hundreds of sad stories out there and this one didn't jump out at me as special. And then came the ending. It had no support from the rest of the story at all and simply felt flat, unfinished and wrong. Not worth the $4 I spent on it.
Keitha
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book dealt with real life problems, that most can handle but with someone who has very high anxiety it is much more difficult. I enjoyed this book a lot I have very high anxiety as well and I haven't found a book yet where the they depicted that in a character.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks
i loved the idea behind this but have come to realise i am not one of those people who enjoy books about suicide. in many ways it reminded me of 13 reasons why which i somehow made it through but struggled with as well i need a story with hope. i am unable to connect with these suicidal charcters.

• No Alternative
  • Wish I Could Have Said Goodbye
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • Beginning With the End: A Memoir of Twin Loss and Healing
  • Us
  • Sweet so Fragile
  • Letters to Mom
  • A Touch of Honor (The Honor Trilogy #1)
  • Ascending Into Euphoria: A Collection of Poetry
  • I Can Only Give You Everything
  • Cameron's Court
  • The Man Who Left
  • Seven Tears
  • The Mothers of Country Day
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy
  • Dead Things
  • A Legacy of Madness: Recovering My Family from Generations of Mental Illness
Tonya Fitzharris is a writer, reader, blogger, mediocre cook, photographer, runner, Florida native, and cat lover. She used to be a Middle School English Teacher, but now she’s trying out the whole novel writing thing. She lives in New Jersey with her husband and her Belgian cat named Waffles.

Visit her website to learn more!
www.tonyafitzharris.com
“And just like that, he’s gone.        Gone.        And I’m alone again.        So alone that it aches.        And I’m probably going to be alone forever.” 0 likes