Start by marking “The Listeners” as Want to Read:
The Listeners

The Listeners

Before the plague, and the quarantine, fourteen-year-old Daniel Raymond had only heard of the Listeners. They were a gang, or at least that's what his best friend Katie's police officer father had said. They were criminals, thieves, monsters--deadly men clearly identifiable by the removal of their right ears.

That's what Daniel had heard. But he didn't know.

He didn't know
Published December 17th 2012 by Bancroft Press (first published November 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Listeners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Listeners

Start your review of The Listeners
Danielle
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc, horror
Read This Review & More Like It At Ageless Pages Reviews

I'm sitting here with my hand over my mouth trying to process one of the most incredibly poetic, haunting novels I have read. And it's about a zombie plague. Try and picture that for a moment. Harrison Demchick has written a beautiful and disgusting, wonderful and horrifying book with a strong voice and lyrical quality and it's about the Apocalypse.

14-year-old Daniel is living in an unnamed borough, (it's Manhattan,) that has recently
Scott
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Listeners by Harrison Demchick is a story of society breaking down. When the plague hits and his neighborhood is quarantined life quickly changes for a 14 year old boy named Daniel. Residents are encouraged to stay in their homes and that the plague should be contained shortly. His mother leaves the house to get some more toilet paper she never returns, leaving Daniel to fend for himself. After a run in with one of the infected and suffering from some police abusing their power Daniel meets ...more
Jessica
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This may be the best horror novel I have read.

The author is an artist with words. He creates a hauntingly beautiful life from a point of view of a 14 year old boy living in a world dramatically changing. Pay attention to the details as you will be rewarded throughout the book which adds a sense of urgency to what is taking place.

I will be reading this book again and hope the author writes more novels.
Benjamin Ethridge
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Written with an Armageddon pen, envisioned with desolate wasteland eyes, and heard by a single, knowing ear, Harrison Demchick's THE LISTENERS provides a peep hole to a ravaged world of survivors living day to day with the burden of being human. With stylistic and emotional flourishes largely missing from the post-apocalyptic sub-genre, this is a novel that really shouldn't be missed!
CJ
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love a happy ending...Unfortunately this does not have one.
E.J.
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Before I write anything else, I just have to say that Harrison Demchick is perhaps the greatest name of all time. Kudos to the author on that front.

Anyways, on with the review. The Listeners is Demchicks debut, and it follows a young teenage boy named Daniel as an epidemic plague hits America. No one knows what started this plague, what spreads it or what cures it, all they know is that it is a highly contagious disease of which the symptoms are huge, exploding boils and a general crazy
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Sammy

*Beware of possible Spoilers*

Im Not sure how to rate this book, the writing is wonderful, the story had so much potential and at times was very interesting, but I had a very difficult time following the story line. So, because of the wonderful way the writer had of expressing things Im going to give the story 3 stars.

Here are a couple of quotes from the book, the author starts with these amazing poetic type expressions such as,

His breath catches halfway
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Took me awhile but I finally finished this book. I can't say I loved it but least I got through it. Review to come.....sometime.....well possibly....

Review:
Sometimes no matter how hard you try to like something it might just never click with you. Unfortunately this was my problem with The Listeners. I tried longer than I usually do to "get" this book. I wanted to see what people were raving about, I wanted to be part of this mind blowing experience and yet try as hard as I might I never was
Lorina Stephens
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Harrison Demchick's The Listeners is a novel which, in this reviewer's opinion, could have been great, breaking all borders of genre. Alas, it falls short, due I believe to lack of good developmental editing. Certainly Demchick demonstrates he is a literary adept, with several passages that are breath-taking in their impact, and his concept is a new perspective on the much-overdone zombie apocalypse trope, enough so it kept this somewhat jaded reviewer reading. That says a great deal.

The story
Mrs. Kenyon
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
Daniel Raymond is alone. His mother left their apartment for toilet paper and never returned. If that is not bad enough, the borough has been quarantined because of a plague with zombie like symptoms. The only information he receives is from the television which reported the doctors and medical personnel being removed by helicopter after the government decided it was too dangerous to assist the local residents.

Danny doesnt know who to trust. The police offer food and protection in exchange for
mari
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was such a beautifully, almost poetically, written zombie apocalypse novel. Its definitely not a typical zombie story. The infected are not dead. They are sick people, who's mental state slowly degenerates. They are covered in boils and highly contagious. They are a frightening addition to the horror genre.

Daniel Raymond is 14 year old, left alone in his apartment in the middle of the quarantined borough. He thinks of his mother, his friend Katie and
Amy Lutchen
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Damn. What would you do?

The Listeners is one of those books that when you finish, you stare at the wall or the stain in the carpet and talk to yourself. Yeah, it's that kind of book-one that makes you really dig deep to evaluate yourself as a human being and decide what kinds of choices you might make when facing grim events. The amount of emotional and graphically oozing detail in this book is one that deserves high praises and I think that Harrison Demchick, the author, is here to stay.
Tiffany
I was thrilled when I won this book in a giveaway, because I have become a fan of Dystopian fiction this past year. I went back and forth from being very interested in this book to being frustrated, because the story line jumps around. The premise is fascinating and the writing is very good, so I will give this book 3 stars. ...more
Jane Doe
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Loved, loved, loved the writing style of this author. The story had so much potential but didn't deliver, was hard to follow and had many many loose ends. I will read another book by him because even though this story for me missed the mark his writing is awesome.
Sean Little
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Wasn't a bad book but the writing style was a pretty stream of conscious which I'm not a big fan of so it was more personal than substance for me.
Jenn
Jan 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get through this one... The writing didn't grab my attention and found the jumping around a bit pointless. Definitely not one I will recommend.
Tyson
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, scifi-fantasy
My review here.
Deborah
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, yet it lacked. It seem to jump around and I found it difficult to focus . It wasn't horrible, but also not great. It certainly wasn't about zombies.
The Hag Reads
Apr 26, 2013
Amber
rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2013
Raised in Baltimore, Maryland on a steady diet of magical realism, literary fiction, science-fiction, and Spider-Man comics, Harrison Demchick spent most of his formative years inside his own head, working out strange thoughts and ideas that would eventually make their way into stories, screenplays, and songs.

He went to Oberlin College to attain one of modern days most notoriously useless degrees,