Start by marking “Mansfield Park” as Want to Read:
Mansfield Park

Read Book* *Different edition

Mansfield Park

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  315,719 ratings  ·  11,940 reviews
'We have all been more or less to blame ... every one of us, excepting Fanny'

Taken from the poverty of her parents' home in Portsmouth, Fanny Price is brought up with her rich cousins at Mansfield Park, acutely aware of her humble rank and with her cousin Edmund as her sole ally. During her uncle's absence in Antigua, the Crawford's arrive in the neighbourhood bringing
Paperback, Penguin English Library, 512 pages
Published October 25th 2012 by Penguin Books (first published July 1st 1814)

To ask other readers questions about Mansfield Park, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) She's not "out of it"--she has opted out. Austen says as much: she's bone idle, and prefers doing needlework and petting her dog to actively participa…moreShe's not "out of it"--she has opted out. Austen says as much: she's bone idle, and prefers doing needlework and petting her dog to actively participating in life. After all, she married a rich man, that's what servants are for. There are plenty of wealthy women in the world today who sit around watching TV, going to the hairdresser, lunching--and little else. They pay other people to take care of their houses, their kids, their meals and clothes. Their only mission in life is to be as comfortable and fashionable as possible. You don't have to be disabled to be brain-dead. You don't even have to be rich, to be selfish and lazy. Today she'd sit glued to reality TV all day, if she were working class, or reading one Harlequin Presents after another, or something.

Sir Thomas is so wrapped up in his business that he hardly notices his own children are there unless they, like Tom, get so into debt or make such fools of themselves that he has to pay attention. Again, like plenty of workaholics the world over in our day and age he knows the servants and busybody Aunt Norris will take up the slack. Wifey doesn't bother her pretty little head, but then she doesn't have to--he can afford it. Just like plenty of absentee parents today--they bring in the money and find somebody to take care of things. Au pairs, nannys, housekeepers, schools--whoever.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Musica1 Scientific studies have now shown that marrying a first cousin doesn't statistically increase your chances of genetic defects. It was fairly common in…moreScientific studies have now shown that marrying a first cousin doesn't statistically increase your chances of genetic defects. It was fairly common in the past and only seems weird to us because we don't do it anymore. When you read anything, be it a history book or a novel, you need to try to put yourself into the feelings and thoughts of that time period to understand people's actions, and not judge actions based on modern ideas and feelings. In 200 more years things we take as normal will probably seem shocking.(less)

·  315,719 ratings  ·  11,940 reviews

Start your review of Mansfield Park
Greyeyedminerva
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was astounded to find that many of the reviews on this site criticize this book for the main character, Fanny Price, & her timidity and morality. It is very different from Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, whose smart, sensible heroines make the novels, but I actually enjoyed this book immensely for its social commentary.

Most of the characters in this book singlemindedly pursue wealth, status, and pleasure regardless of their personal and moral costs. Their antics are pretty hila
Tharindu Dissanayake
Jun 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tharindu by: RoshReviews
"I am of a cautious temper, and unwilling to risk my happiness in a hurry."

This has to be the only Austen book I felt apprehensive of reading: there is a lot of controversy around this book, to make one re-think if diving in to this would be a good idea. It turns out, at least for me, the forebodings were for nothing. Despite several shortcomings of the characters, including the heroine - Fanny Price, and a hurried ending, I liked the overall story. But it does fall behind Persuasion and Pri
Sherwood Smith
Most Austen aficionados agree that Pride and Prejudice is a great book. Jane Austen thought it might be too "light and bright and sparkling"--that its comedy might outshine its serious points--but its continued popularity today indicates that her recipe for brilliance contained just the right ingredients.

Yet a lot of modern readers loathe Mansfield Park, despite its being thought by others the greatest of all Austen's work. What's going on here?

Frequently leveled criticisms:
* Fanny is a stick
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Upping my rating from 3 stars to 4 on reread. Mansfield Park isn't as easy to love as most of Jane Austen's other novels, but it has a lot of insights to offer into the personalities, strengths and weaknesses of not just Fanny, but all of the other characters who live in and around Mansfield Park, a country manor in England. Like Kelly says in her truly excellent review of this book, it's called "Mansfield Park" - not Fanny or Foolishness and Awkwardness - for a good reason.

The other thing that
Katie Lumsden
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So thoroughly wonderful. Every single time.
Ahmad Sharabiani
(Book 937 from 1001 books) - Mansfield Park, Jane Austen

Mansfield Park is the third published novel by Jane Austen, first published in 1814 by Thomas Egerton. A second edition was published in 1816 by John Murray, still within Austen's lifetime.

The novel tells the story of Fanny Price, starting when her overburdened, impoverished family sends her at age ten to live in the household of her wealthy aunt and uncle; it follows her development and concludes in early adulthood.

Frances "Fanny" Price,
Kelly
Jun 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only hardcore Austen fans
(This is usually the part where I offer abject apologies for my review's length, but I don't feel like it this time. It's long. Continued on the comments section. You have been duly notified.)

Ah, Fanny Price. We meet again.

Our previous meeting was…. How shall I say? Underwhelming. Unsatisfying. …Lacking is really the word I’m looking for. There was something missing in every encounter I had with you that made me want to tear my hair out.

Now I know why, and it was entirely to do with what I brou
emma
I apologize if you were in any way affected by the recent tilting of the world off its axis. For the first time ever, I was disappointed by something by Jane Austen, and it threatened to destroy the basic functioning of the universe.

Mansfield Park is just...not very good.

There’s that whole romance-with-your-first-cousin thing, for one. No blame on ol’ Janie, she was merely a victim of her incestuous nineteenth-century society circumstances, but like...yuck. Gives you the heebie-jeebies all the s
Sean Barrs
The impossible happened! I read something by Jane Austen and I didn’t give it five stars! What is the world coming to? I don’t even know who I am anymore.

Though this was awfully dull. Austen has never be renowned for her fast moving plots, so I know what to expect when I go into one of her novels. What makes her writing so compelling is the social commentary and the razor sharp wit. The woman holds nothing back! And she’s ever so subtle. Her characters are often caricatures and she exploits the
Anne
I hated Fanny Price.

description

I'm supposed to like her because she has a deep appreciation for nature, understands her place in society, is happy to be useful to her betters, is pained to the point of tears when anyone other than Edmund pays any attention to her, is gratingly proper, and can't walk more than 10 steps without having to sit down?
Yes, more of that kind of heroine, please!

description

And as much as I disliked Fanny, I loathed Edmund even more.
He is one of those people who will adhere to the rules of soc
Merphy Napier
3.5

Fanny is one of my favorite Jane Austen protagonists. She's often criticized for not being outspoken and fiesty like the other Austen leads, but Fanny has a quiet strength that I love. In the face of her manipulative and abusive family, she stays calm and strong and refuses to budge on what's in her heart. She fights for her own heart despite tremendous pressure and I love her so much for that.

However, the story was too long for the amount of content in it and the romance was almost an after
Lisa
Jane Austen's take on Cinderella!

From the very first moment, the reader knows just as well as Fanny herself that she is meant to marry Edmund. But reader and heroine alike also know that by the social standards of Jane Austen, that is a Mission Impossible. Fanny is a true fairytale Cinderella, raised by one negligent and one malevolent aunt at Mansfield Park. She is reminded at all times that her cousins are superior to her in all respects, and that she has to serve them and be grateful for th
Baba
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
As the once all-reaching Victorian values had already began to lessen their hold over British everyday life Austen put together this tale of the landed old-school Bertrams, the idle young but enriched Crawfords and our uniquely situated and characterised heroine (she often wilts in hot weather or after light exercise!) Fanny Price, with supreme and at times savage pokes at Victorian society and the way they lived back then - although this was contemporary at the time of publication.

When I first
Baba
Oct 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
2021 review: With the Regency era in full flow and seeping into even the most staid and prudish communities, Austen inducts that transformation and its effect over everyday life with this tale of the landed old-school Bertrams, the idle young but enriched Crawfords and our uniquely situated and characterised heroine (she often wilts in hot weather or after light exercise!) Fanny Price, with supreme and at times savage pokes at Victorian society and the way they lived back then - although this wa ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
You can't see me right now but i'm rolling my eyes so hard i can see the back of my head. ...more
Henry Avila
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fanny Price's mother had two sisters as beautiful as she, one married an affluent gentleman Sir Thomas Bertram, and everyone said this would enable her siblings, to do the same. Nevertheless little England hasn't enough rich men, to accommodate deserving ladies. Another married a respectable quiet clergyman, with little money. Sir Thomas's friend, Reverend Norris good yet dull , gets him a church and a cottage in Mansfield Park, Northampton, on his vast estate. The kind Sir Thomas is very willin ...more
Idarah
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites, own
“The best things in life are free,
but you can give them to the birds and bees.
I want money.” – The Flying Lizzards

photo image.jpg1_zpsrlvlrb6t.jpg

This is the last of Austen’s books that I’ve finally finished, a goal I’ve been working towards since I was sixteen. I saved this one for last because although it’s one of my favorite films, it seemed like it would be a clunky and slow-paced novel. I was definitely wrong. Maybe it’s the timing of it. This book will forever remind me of my grandmother’s passing. She passed away two w
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
I'm so surprised this book isn't more beloved. It's now my second favorite Austen, for sure. I made an impassioned defense of Fanny Price in a Booktube video. ...more
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Update
Further musings on MP turned frivolous after reading Anne's very funny and gify review.

After writing Pride and Prejudice and creating Elizabeth Bennet as her heroine, it has to be owned that Jane Austen did a kinda Monty Python with Mansfield Park and Fanny Price, no?

description

PLUS, she turned Elizabeth to the dark side and this is how Mary Crawford was born. ;)

And this leads me to a total irreverent and irrelevant moral summary of MP á la STAR WARS.

Mary C. wants Edmund (honest & upright & nice, but
Piyangie
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mansfield Park is quite a different work from the rest of Jane Austen novels. I can safely say so since I've read all other novels prior to reading this. Jane Austen novels have a sort of set form, characters, and a passionate and exuberant writing style. Even in her mature work such as Persuasion, where the tone is much graver than the rest of her works, these elements are present to a varying degree. But in Mansfield Park , a certain attempt to deviate, experimenting a new writing style mo ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, england, fiction, 1800s
Isabella
May 19, 2022 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, gifted
jane austen has been caught slipping
Duane
I have a feeling that Fanny Price is more like the real Jane Austen than, let's say, Elizabeth Bennett or Emma Woodhouse. I think Jane wanted to be like Elizabeth and Emma, but she knew she was really Fanny. The book had a different feel to it than the others, more serious characters, more real life issues. All in all, I liked it. I would rate it somewhere in the middle of the pack of her novels. But Fanny is one of my favorite Jane Austen heroines. ...more
Holly
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Holly by: hollygoguen@gmail.com
Shelves: favorites, literature
I have seen no small amount of reviews toting Fanny Price as Austen's least likable heroine, and to be honest...I'm not sure where they get that impression from. Granted, Fanny's characteristics often shine by what they are not, next to the undesirable character traits of those around her.....but does this appropriateness of demeanor, attention to honor and morals, and respect toward elders (especially the ones least deserving of it) truely mean she is not fit for her lead status? I think not. A ...more
Jo (The Book Geek)
This definitely wasn't Austen's best novel, and it has nothing on Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice. Instead of it being the plot or the characters, it was purely Austen's wit and uniquely wonderful writing alone, that carried me through Mansfield Park.

To be frank, I don't like Fanny Price. She was too accepting of her situations, she remained silent when she could have spoken up, and it was painfully clear to me that she thought it dreadful to exert herself too much in fear of beco
Trish
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This edition of Mansfield Park comes with a great introduction and notes, containing interesting information about the publication of this novel and historical context.

I have been a huge Jane Austen fan ever since I first saw P&P and shortly thereafter read the novel, leading to me falling in love with the dignified wit and sass this author has had. It can't have been easy in her time, which makes me appreciate her dry humour and social criticism even more.

A fair warning to you all: I cannot rev
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I've just reread Tadiana's review of this wonderful book & I very much agree with her central point - Austen's novels are not romances & you are doomed to disappointment if you expect them to be. Pride & Prejudice has the most romantic elements, but also enough bracing realism to act like a bucket of water thrown over the face! The books are more very interesting character studies.

Fanny comes to Mansfield Park as a shy & not very robust ten year old. Although the Bertram family find her useful
Jason Koivu
"I can not but think good horsemanship has a great deal to do with the mind." Jane Austen always did a great job of planting ridiculous declarations in the mouths of characters she wished to discredit. Character was her strong suit and there's some good'uns here in.

Within Mansfield Park there are characterizations so delicate and actions of importance utterly unassuming. Some seem meaningless in their modesty. Excellent work by a diligent author. Dangerous pitfalls for the casual reader.

The who
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Quiet strength is STILL strength

(Aka, my girl Fanny gets a bad rep.)

Edmund was a boring ham sandwich of a person.
But he’s still kind of cute and even though the whole thing feels like a church special, you still root for them.
Play Book Tag: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, 4 stars 1 7 Apr 01, 2022 02:19PM
Play Book Tag: (WPF) Mansfield Park / Jane Austen - 4**** 3 12 Mar 31, 2022 06:13PM
Play Book Tag: Mansfield Park - Jane Austen - 3 Stars 1 9 Mar 30, 2022 07:12PM
Book Nerds: Mansfield Park 2 18 Mar 01, 2022 02:29PM
Play Book Tag: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen - 3 stars 1 11 Nov 08, 2021 08:19AM
Jane Austen: The Miss Bertrams 30 34 Jun 13, 2021 02:15PM

• Shirley
  • The Professor
  • Great Expectations
  • A Room with a View
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Wives and Daughters
See top shelves…
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.
Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentr