Start by marking “Jewel of the East (The Devil DeVere #5)” as Want to Read:
Jewel of the East (The Devil DeVere #5)

Jewel of the East

(The Devil DeVere #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  126 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Maimed by Misfortune... Healed by Love...
His wounds run deep...Having once lived his life only for larks, laughter, and ladies of easy virtue, Captain Simon Singleton has returned from war a shambles of a man. Although free from six years of captivity, he's still fettered by fears that confine him to a life of seclusion.

Her scars are well-hidden...Once the crowning jewel
Published January 18th 2014 by Vane Publishing LLC (first published January 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Jewel of the East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jewel of the East

Jill
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it

For I love thee as no other man can love

description

There once was a lad name of Simon
Who for cash wrote poems that were rhymin'.
Asked why he's named Sin,
Replied he with a grin,
I write of breasts, buttocks and hymen.

When Simon Singleton returns from fighting in the American Revolutionary War, he's a man broken in body, mind and spirit. Once full of life and laughter, his war experiences and his six years a prisoner have put paid to his wild and carefree ways. His ribald rhymes are a distant memory.
Duchess Nicole
"Wilt thou take me for thy slave,
With my folly and my love?
Wilt thou take me for the bondsman of thy pride,
Thou who dearer are to me than all the world beside?
For I love thee as no other man can love."
--Wilfrid Scawen Blunt--

This installment in the Devil DeVere series left me reeling a bit. Simon is not the randy poet that he was in his youth. His antics as a young man got him shipped off to war where he was then captured and held prisoner for years. Upon his return, he is a greatly changed
Karla

4 Shining Stars!

Joint review with Kathleen posted at: Swept Away By Romance

What worked
Kathleen:

I loved the fact that Ludovic, Ned and Diana were included in this book. How each of them had their parts in helping Simon and Salime throughout this story.

Debra

★★★☆ 3.5 Stars!

Well, I guess this is one of those books that I liked (really liked even), but I didn't love it. Although that probably has nothing to do with the quality of the story and more with the fact that this genre, apparently, just isn't completely for me. Don't get me wrong, this novella had an original storyline with a well thought out historical setting and two main characters with a completely different background but with the same sense of loneliness and abandonment. So, despite the
Rane
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: georgian-era, keeper

Victoria Vane has created such a delicious exotic romance series with the anticipated story of Sin- Captain Simon Singleton. Vane showcased such a wonderful couple with Simon and Salime as they heal each other scars.

I enjoyed watching these two interacting with one another, the trouble I had overall was the rushed feel when it should have slowed down in parts.

It was great revisiting this series with appearances by DeVere and Diana.

Still a wonderful addition to this this series!

Kathleen
Joint review with Karla posted at: Swept Away By Romance

What worked
Kathleen: The way Victoria Vane writes, the words and flow captivated me from beginning to end.

How perfect Simon and Salime were for each other. The way they both helped each other throughout the story and that they had something the other needed to be happy and healthy in li
Victoria Vane
Sep 12, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
EXCERPT
DeVere House, Bloomsbury- 1784
He finally arrived after what seemed like hours. She rushed to him, kneeling and kissing his hand. "Efendi! You have come at last!"
"But of course," he replied, raising her to her feet. "You must know I would never deny you my aid, Salime."
"But I feared with your marriage… that Khanum …" noting his look of discomfort at the mention of his wife, she sank her teeth into her lower lip.
"As I do not have a complete understanding of it myself, I have yet to explain
♡Karlyn P♡
An exotic romance with a Persian courtesan and former slave heroine trained in the arts of seduction, and a war prisoner aristocrat with both physical and emotional afflictions. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit too rushed to believe in so many life changing events. They ultimately worked as couple though, and we get a great HEA .

Full review to come
KatLynne
Victoria Vane has once again crafted a beautifully written historical romance rich in dialogue and detail. Simon and Salime are both damaged, complex characters and I found myself rooting hard for their HEA.

Jewel of the East is a passionate, sensual, poignant love story as well as a great addition to this series and one that I recommend.

Thank you Victoria for providing me with an ARC. It was a pleasure!
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
**5 Mesmerising Stellar Stars**

Ever since Victoria Vane announced that she was writing Salime and Simon’s story, I have been anxiously waiting to read it. Does it live up to my expectations? YES! It’s romantic, sensual, emotional and erotic and I loved every page! Ms. Vane has the ability to infuse her books with such realism, and her characters have such depth and feeling.

I love Salime and she must be one of the most unique heroines I have ever come across…a Turkish courtesan and a former slave
Arlena
Title: Jewel of the East
Author: Victoria Vane
Published: V.V.
Series: The Devil DeVere #5
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Review:

"Jewel of the East" by Victoria Vane was this author's series 'The Devil DeVere #5' and it was one interesting read. To really understand all that has gone one in this whole series I would recommend you pick up: THE DEVIL DEVERE SERIES:

A Wild Night's Bride #1
Jewel Of the East #5

and let's no
C Joy
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***ARC received from the author in exchange for an honest review***

First, I anxiously awaited for this novel to come out and wasn't disappointed.

This is a story about healing emotional and mental scars. Both Salime and Simon have traumatic pasts and while they only existed, they started to live again when DeVere arranged for them to be together.

Ms Vane has written of characters who are strong; who are still standing in the face of adversity. Salime is a very tenacious woman. I say that because
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
A very big thank you to Victoria Vane for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A solid 3.5 stars

After such a long, long wait, I finally finished the much anticipated story of Sin and Salime in one seating. Thank you Victoria for this lovely ARC. :D

Simon was a happy-go-lucky fellow before he was sent off to be a soldier by his father and after a decade of death and war, he returned a very different man. Then enters the mysterious Salime who captured his heart and
Violetta Rand
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deeply romantic, poetic love at its best.

Author Victoria Vane treats us to a heartfelt, sometimes heart wrenching story that brings together two shattered souls. The exotic Salime was kidnapped from a Spanish convent at a young age and raised in a harem in Constantinople. Playboy Simon is caught one too many times shaming his noble family with drink and women. His father's solution, military service in America.

Both characters are transformed by the abuses and disappointments they face.

However, a
Maria
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book #5 in the consistently entertaining Devil DeVere series by Victoria Vane.

I really liked Simon (aka Sin by his best friends DeVere and Ned). Emotionally and physically scarred by his horrible experiences as a prisoner of war in the Colonies, he returns to England a broken man. He cannot concentrate enough to focus on his love of writing poetry and, once a jovial ladies’ man, he finds it difficult to be touched.

For my full review on my historical romance and history blog: http://bit.ly/1j7Ebq
Keri
This was good, but didn't have the same punch that past books in the series has had. I just felt that Simon got over his issues way too quickly considering how severe they were in the beginning. I did like the ending though and look forward to more Devil DeVere stories.
Delta
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of steamy historic romance
Loved it!
Ivyd
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Devil DeVere has hit upon a plan to help both Selime and his friend, Simon, better known as Sin. All these years Sin was believed dead but was actually being held as a prisoner of war. Sin’s returned home changed almost beyond recognition both physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Once again our devious Devil devises a scheme designed to kill two birds with one stone.

As much as I have loved the books in this series JEWEL OF THE EAST is my favorite. Sin and Selime are two hopeless broken
Amy
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I always thought there was something delightfully sweet about Sin and so goes his story.

Once upon a time, Simon Singleton led a carefree life writing poetry and loving women. Then he was sent to America to fight in the British Army by his father to become a man. There, he was injured, taken prisoner, and lived six years in captivity. Although he survived, he didn’t return unscathed but instead returned a broken and fearful man. When his friend, Ludovic DeVere learned of his condition, he knew h
Daisy Sloan

I love happy endings. The guy the gets the girl. The girl gets her romantic fairy-tale ending. It’s just what the heart needs. Add into that a wounded warrior and I’m all over it!

Jewel of the East continues the story of friends formed in England in the 1700’s. A group of boys joined forces at their school and have remained friends as they’ve grown older. The exploits are legendary and their prowess as loves is unrivaled. But, just like any bad-boy, when they fall in love, they fall hard.

Simon S
Shana
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 5th book in the Devere series, but it can also be read on it's own. Since I read the series through, I personally think it should be read through, as you will know the characters so much better.

Through each book, there is a little bit of crossover of characters as they are all friends/ family, so you see them interacting with each other through each book.

This book is the love story of Simon and Salime. They came to know each other through the workings of their mutual friend, Devere
Tory Michaels
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Short review again as I continue to remain desperately behind on reviews.

I've read a couple of the other Devil DeVere books and while I liked them okay, I wasn't particularly enthusiastic either. This book was very different than others in the series, and I attribute that solely to the heroine Saline. I loved her backstory and how the "exotic" middle east mixed and clashed with the England and British society.

I enjoyed Saline as a person and her acceptance of who and what she is and was raised t
My Book Addiction and More MBA
JEWEL OF THE EAST by Victoria Vane is another exciting Erotic Georgian Historical Romance. #5 in the "Devil DeVere" series, but can be read as a stand alone. This is by far the most tragic,post poetic,and most romantic of the Devil DeVere series. A quick read, that is filled with passion and emotion! A wonderful story of a rake and a harlot who becomes friends, lovers and are madly in love.

Follow Captain Simon Singleton,who is damaged beyond his youth and Salime,an exotic dancer and harlot who m
ShoSho
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a sexy historical romance
** Big thanks to Victoria Vane for providing me with a copy of this book **

I love this series , I don't think I have ever read any other books in this setting or era and Victoria Vane has done a great job of making me believe them.
I read this during a 26 hour journey through 3 airports and 3 flights and it was the perfect choice for it .It was emotional sexy and fun.
This is Salime and Simon story, I was really skeptical about Salime's story for 2 reasons. First one was her occupation ,I
Dakota Storm
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nanee's Review:

I thoroughly enjoyed these characters. The men in the beginning with their devil may care attitudes and live life in the moment only found trouble for one and happiness beyond belief for another, two best friends both different paths ended back where they belong with much happiness. I loved Simon the most, the poor guy going through all he went through and thinking he'd have to live his life lonely, scared and full of nightmares was found again but he's not the same as he once was
Blondie
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and very emotional. After everything sin has been through will he be able to recover and grab his deserved happiness? I love the dialogue between all these characters.

Oh my from the very beginning Ms Vane grabbed my heart and didn't let go until the very last page. Simon (sin) was sent away and ended up a prisoner for 6 years and when he finally makes it back home he is damaged shell of his prior self. Salime a former courtesan has had her share of bad times as well she just m
Anna
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Jewel of the East (The Devil DeVere #5) by Victoria Vane by Victoria Vane
Jewel of the East is a fresh breath of historical romance air. The twists on the usual rake character and the period's fascination, both scientific and erotic, with the near east, make the story unforgettable.

The author's voice, elegant and witty, gives the novel a genuine historical feel while adding in some of the sexiest yet tender love scenes I've had the pleasure to read.

This one gets shelved with the smart girl romances :-) More than just a fun read, it has high-quality
Cat
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
Jewel of the East by Victoria Vane is a rare gem in historical fiction. We are able to see two characters come together in a fairly unusual situation without getting the period mores thrown in our faces constantly. I loved to see how these two damaged individuals find each other and work through their fears to find something they can live with. Each one has an intense story. Salime has been through a lot in her life yet finds herself in a position of envy as a well sought after courtesan. Simon ...more
Celeste
This just fell flat for me. The foundation was there for a great story, both H and h had tragic back stories, but the author choose to make lite of them and poof they are healed. I liked the characters but s again it looks like alt a lot of the backstory for the h was told in a previous book and as a new reader I was left disappointed, but not enough for me to want to go back and read the previous books. So I'm left feeling blanch, when a fantastic story line was there but executed.
Christy English
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one.... come take a look at my review on my site
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Q&A with Victoria...: JEWEL OF THE EAST Update 12/23/13 3 12 Dec 26, 2013 10:24AM
Q&A with Victoria...: * Excerpt from JEWEL OF THE EAST 11 8 Apr 26, 2013 08:31PM
Q&A with Victoria...: * Dance of Seduction 3 11 Apr 24, 2013 11:01PM
Q&A with Victoria...: * JEWEL OF THE EAST BOOK COVER VOTE 17 21 Mar 30, 2013 10:43PM
  • Vanity (The Sins and The Virtues, #2)
  • Fortune's Son
  • The Baron's Betrothal: An On-Again, Off-Again, On-Again Regency Romance (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #2)
  • Upon a Winter's Night (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3.5)
  • Unbreakable SEAL (Lost and Found, #3.6)
  • The Games Destiny Plays (The Last Good Knight, #3)
  • Quintal's Quandary
  • Gina Takes Bangkok (The Femme Vendettas #2)
  • Santa, Bring My Baby Back
  • Don't Deny Me, Part Two (Don't Deny Me, #2)
  • Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2)
  • Lessons in Indiscretion (The Merry Widows, #1)
  • The Cardwell Ranch Collection: Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch \ Justice at Cardwell Ranch \ Cardwell Ranch Trespasser
  • Knightmare (City Knight #2)
  • Guardian Ranger (Shadow Agents, #2)
  • Malice Striker (Viking Vengeance, #1)
  • Primrose (Passion Quartet, #3)
  • The Reluctant Countess
ABOUT VICTORIA VANE

Victoria Vane is a bestselling award-winning author of smart and sexy romance. Her books have received many accolades to include the 2016 Red Carpet Award for Jewel of the East, 2014 RONE Award for Treacherous Temptations as well as Library Journal Best E-Book romance of 2012 for The Devil DeVere series. Victoria also writes romantic historical fiction as Emery Lee. Look for her

The Devil DeVere (7 books)
  • A Wild Night's Bride (The Devil DeVere #1)
  • The Virgin Huntress (The Devil DeVere #2)
  • The Devil You Know (The Devil DeVere #3)
  • The Devil's Match (The Devil DeVere #4)
  • Devil By Another Name (The Devil DeVere #6)
  • A Devil in Diamonds (The Devil DeVere #7)