Start by marking “Superworm” as Want to Read:
Superworm

Superworm

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  697 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Children's Laureate Julia Donaldson and illustrator Axel Scheffler, the brilliant team behind The Gruffalo, have created a new exuberant character who is sure to delight young readers - and their parents - in this eagerly anticipated hardback, Superworm. The funny and fantastically-illustrated story is full of bouncy rhyming verses and has a fun chorus that is sure to have ...more
Published September 2012 by Alison Green (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Superworm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superworm

The Gruffalo by Julia DonaldsonRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonThe Smartest Giant in Town by Julia DonaldsonThe Snail and the Whale by Julia DonaldsonThe Gruffalo's Child by Julia Donaldson
Best of Julia Donaldson
16th out of 100 books — 9 voters
Yucky Worms by Vivian FrenchThere's a Hair in My Dirt! by Gary LarsonDiary of a Worm by Doreen CroninBad Apple by Edward HemingwayWorm Gets a Job by Kathy Caple
Picture books about worms
7th out of 32 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 18, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

“Superworm is super-long.
Superworm is super-strong.
Watch him wiggle! See him squirm!
Hip, hip hooray for SUPERWORM!”

This book is a joy to read. Sure to put a smile on your face. There is just something fun and new about a superhero worm to the rescue!

Vivid colors—blacks, purples, yellows, and more—jump off the big pages and pictures with action and fun! One minute Superworm is a lasso the next a skipping rope! Hehe…All with a smile on his little pink face. And the words! Rhyming lines and words t
Bridie Atkinson
Jan 25, 2014 Bridie Atkinson rated it really liked it
Watch him wiggle, see him squirm, there's no-one quite like Superworm! This is a fun and fantastically illustrated book that tells the story of rhyme of Superworm, a hero to all the bugs, who is abducted and bewitched by wizard lizard, only to be rescued by his little friends. It is funny, charming and exciting. The pictures are bright and clear and it is nice to have a super hero from something the children just take for granted. There is lots of positive teaching in this rhyme book. This book ...more
Saadia Munshi
Oct 05, 2013 Saadia Munshi rated it liked it
In this book we have a worm that is super strong and super long. The worm wiggles along the animal land to different creatures and helps them in their time of need. He goes around to rescue animals who are in trouble or helps them when they are bored.

The creatures in the town look up to superworm and vakue him, they chant and cheer. However during the book a wizard lizard orders his crow to go and bring the worm to him. Once there, the lizard orders superworm to wriggle through the soil to find
Danielle
May 02, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Superworm by Julia Donaldson Is absolutely brilliant book with smart,funny, and very catchy text. With bright and colourful illustrations, by Axel Scheffe.
The rhyming style of writing is excellent for teaching children how to put expression into their voices.
This book is suitable for all ages.
Carol
"Superworm is super-long.
Superworm is super-strong.
Watch him wiggle! See him squirm!
Hip, hip, hooray for SUPERWORM!"

This chant is often heard throughout the forest as Superworm saves and rescues many friends. Unfortunately, the Wizard Lizard hears it and decides he needs to control Superworm and makes him dig and tunnel for buried treasure. As Superworm is held captive, his forest friends devise a masterful plan to free him and rid themselves of the nasty wizard at the same time. When their mis
Jake
Nov 28, 2014 Jake rated it really liked it
Superworm written by Julia Donaldson is a children's book about a worm who saves all his friends from trouble. Throughout the story he is constantly risking his life to help his friends out. Whether it be saving a bee from the well, or saving a frog from the middle of the road, Superworm does it all! However, when he comes across a couple dark and evil characters, superworm's animal friends be able to pull through and save him!

The illustrations in this story are very bright and colorful. There
Bianca Arias
Nov 18, 2014 Bianca Arias rated it really liked it
Julia Donaldson, writer of the children’s book Superworm. This book is about a worm who saves his animated animal friends from the troubles that creep around their homes. Superworm throughout the entire story is brave and is constantly risking his own life to protect the lives of his animal friends. From saving his bee friend to even a toad! However, one day Superworm is caught in a sticky situation where he needs help, will his friends pull through and save him too?

The colors used throughout th
Madison Hays
Nov 13, 2014 Madison Hays rated it it was amazing
Superworm written by Julia Donaldson is a children's book about a worm who saves all his animal friends from trouble. Throughout the story he is constantly risking his own life to help his friends out. Whether it be saving a bee from the well, or saving a frog from the middle of the road, Superworm does it all! However, when he comes across a couple dark, villainous characters, will superworm's animal friends be able to pull through and save him this time?

The illustrations in this story are ver
Kaitlin
Oct 14, 2014 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
Is there a problem and someone needs help? Have no fear, Superworm is here! Everyone knows that Superworm will save the day no matter the crises. Yet, what happens when Superworm needs help? Who will save him then? This is exactly the case in this superhero picture book. The evil Wizard Lizard forces Superworm to help him find some buried treasure or else! The race is on to save Superworm as all the previously saved creatures unite in the hopes of overcoming the evil Wizard Lizard and his servan ...more
Michael
Aug 08, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
Why oh why is the lizard and the crow portrayed as the evil antagonists in most stories. Lizards get rid of the unwanted insects (flies), while the crow is an amazing intelligent bird. Better the evil ones should be portrayed by cute kittens and lovable puppies, rather than reptiles or birds. You always have to clean up after the dog, otherwise you will step in it, and the cat will never mind you, but will scratch and destroy anything of value in your home. Bad cat, bad dog, good lizard, good cr ...more
ACS Book-finder
Mar 03, 2014 ACS Book-finder rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Review: Excitement and danger lurks under leaves, down the well, under the rubbish heap, and on the road. But with "Superworm" to the rescue, all is well. Presented as a lively story of the qualities of Superworm as he saves the day and in quite good rhyme that takes one back to the rhythm and rhyme of Mother Goose, Superworm will squirm his way into the giggles and tickles of the reader and the listener.

Illustrated with cute, "bug-eyed," and vividly colored pictures, the humor and adventure is
Christopher Scott
Sep 10, 2014 Christopher Scott rated it really liked it
Superworm details the adventures of a super strong and super long worm that helps neighbours and friends with tiny insect disasters and fun times. The adventure continues when the evil Lizard Wizard blackmails Superworm into finding treasure upon penalty of being fed to its pet crow. The story concludes with the friends of Superworm coming together and saving Superworm whilst dethroning the Wizard Lizard.
Superworm is a great story for key stage 1 pupils and portrays the values that should be ins
Samantha
May 26, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it
Superworm is an exciting children's book about a worm that looks out for his friends and always saves the day. He can adapt himself to any situation, he becomes a skipping rope, lasso and fishing line. The evil wizard lizard wants superworm as his lackey to, find him treasure so he sends his servant crow out to kidnap superworm. He keeps him digging for treasure and threatens to feed his to his crow if he fails so his friends hatch a plan to rescue superworm from the wizard lizard. Another class ...more
Shelli
Jun 12, 2014 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Super Worm is a friend to all his neighboring creatures; both helping them when they are in need or just to share a laugh. One day the villain Wizard Lizard sends his servant Crow to kidnap Superworm and force him into a life of slavery; digging holes in search of treasure to fund Wizard Lizards evil plans. His faithful loving friend concoct a plan to save Superworm and show Wizard Lizard what “karma” truly means.

The sing song narrative is done exceedingly well and kids will LOVE to read this a
Heather Lei
Jun 15, 2015 Heather Lei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I checked this book out from the library to read to my children (aged 5, 3, and 1) to do a little mini unit on creepy crawly critters. We have a vermicomposter and have ordered ladybugs and caterpillars and I wanted some books to go along with those activities.

This is a well-written, imaginative book. It is written in verse and the author clearly understands how to write poetry. Many children's books have such horrible meter that they are awkward to read aloud. This one reads quite easily.

The il
KarenMLISt
Wonderful read-aloud! The rhyming rythym adds fun and the story has an actual plot and climax that will keep listeners engaged. Terrific intro to many vocublary words as well, such as: writhe, slink, perch, and rubbish. When I was a child, I didn't like worms because they were always portrayed negatively. I think if I'd had this story available to me, I might have seen them differently! Also - only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is illustrations. They're okay, but not as wonderful as the story.
Barbara
Superworm is a hero to many of the other animals because of his kindness and his many courageous acts. But Wizard Lizard kidnaps and puts a spell on him for his own purposes. It's up to all the animals Superworm has befriended to come to his rescue, which they do, using whatever they have at hand to defeat that evil lizard. The rhyming text and colorful, animal-filled illustrations insure that readers will enjoy this story immensely. After all, who doesn't like the idea of a worm with so many ta ...more
Tasha
Feb 25, 2014 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The creators of The Gruffalo return with a silly new book that features one incredible worm. Superworm is super-long and super-strong. So when baby toad hops into the road, Superworm becomes a superworm lasso. The bees are bored and moping? It’s Superworm to the rescue with a game of jump rope. When Beetle falls into the well, Superworm turns into a fishing line to get her out. Everything seems to be going so well for Superworm, until a villain enters the story. Wizard Lizard sends his servant c ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
“Hip, hip hooray for SUPERWORM”, repeatedly chant the animals and insects in the forest as their hero Superworm saves them from many disasters. But in the midst of their happiness the evil wizard lizard captures Superworm with his servant crow and puts an evil spell on him, forcing him to find treasure in the soil. Will his friends rescue him, break the evil spell, and restore their happy life? With its unlikely, admirable hero and repetitive chants, this picture book is a wonderful read-aloud a ...more
Big Book Little Book
Feb 17, 2013 Big Book Little Book rated it it was amazing
Karen for www.bigbooklittlebook.com

I must confess that I only bought 'Superworm' as it was on offer and because one of children's literature's most famous duos, Julia Donaldson and Axel Schleffer were behind the helm. It couldn't be that much of a dud surely?!

To my relief, this book has proved to be an absolute hit with my 5yr old daughter and 2yr old son. Whilst thinking about doing this review, I was trying to work out what makes this book so loved. Asking the children gets the usual, not very
Ashley
Mar 12, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
Superworm is super long and super strong and goes about saving little creatures in his corner of the world. But suddenly (and I honestly didn't see this one coming) an evil wizard lizard captures him and forces him to his bidding. Upon learning of Superworm's peril all his friends band together and capture the Lizard and remove his power from him. And thus Superworm and fun are restored.

A unique and surprising story that will entertain young readers and their parents.
Diane
Jun 12, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Faster than a speeding bicycle. More powerful than a game of jump rope! Able to scale well walls at a single stretch. Look! Down on the ground. It's a skipping rope! It's a fishing line! It's Superworm!

But when Superworm is captured by the evil Wizard Lizard who wants Superworm to dig for buried treasure, his friends must come up with a daring plan to rescue him.

I'm anxious to read this one to my students to see what they think.
Jehan Jones-Radgowski
Dec 18, 2014 Jehan Jones-Radgowski rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for a great story, colorful and realistic photos, and a good rhyme! This is a beautiful book. Too many words/too long for my two year old, but perfect for my four year old. Spoiler Alert: Despite being a super worm, Superworm gets trapped by the evil Wizard Lizard. But then all the critters and bugs come together and hash a plan to help Superworm escape. Yah! All is good in the animal kingdom again.
Beth Nieman
Jan 28, 2014 Beth Nieman rated it really liked it
Superworm is everyone's friend, and why not? He is super-versatile! He loves to play with other bugs and small creatures, rescues a baby toad from the road, and even fishes beetle out of a deep well. But then, in a surprising twist, Superworm is kidnapped by Wizard Lizard, and if he doesn't do want the lizard wants, Lizard might feed him to Crow! Oh, no! Can Superworm's friends help?

Lively rhyming story with lots of great pictures kids will enjoy!
Samantha
Oct 20, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story that I regularly read to my class and they absolutely love it every time.

Julia Donaldson has an unique way of engaging the children and sparking imagination. All of her books are popular favourites in our class, that we regularly use to prepare work for them.

The book has wonderful rhyme in it, which the children pick up and join in with. It introduces vocabulary for the children to use when to describe something, such as wiggle/squirm.

Being an insect this book can be related t
Sarah Adamson
Interesting rhyming book exploring all sorts of insects who look up to Superworm as their hero who rescues them from misadventures. When the Lizard Wizard takes control of Superworm, it's up to the bugs to rescue him.
Nice rhymes and some good exploration of some of the bugs. Bit of a bizarre ending.
Sandy Brehl
These days everyone seems to be a super-something, so why not super-worm? Kids will love it, and the story line is a nice friends-help-friends circle pattern. The rhyming text is tightly metered and rhymed, highly consistent so it chants well and provides predictability for kids to chime in when read aloud.
Canadian Reader
Aug 31, 2014 Canadian Reader rated it really liked it
Words and images are both delightful. My only concern is that the target audience (kindergarten and pre-kindergarten) will get the idea that they can do with worms what Superworm is able to do in this book--i.e. serve as a belt, a lasso, etc. Can you tell that I have a certain fondness for worms?
TwoDrinks
I really liked this one, especially that the evil wizard lizard had a magic flower. Of course he did! Superworm's friends were a bit slow on the uptake to rescue him but a lovely Donaldson story as ever with fab illustrations from Scheffler (i love the eyes!).
Angie
May 16, 2014 Angie added it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Great illustrations! And a cute story. Although the lizard/crow relationship was a little weird. Shouldn't the crow have eaten the lizard? I know he has a magic flower and all, but still. Frankly, I have a hard time buying it. Still, a fun read.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Superworm 1 4 Sep 10, 2014 12:41PM
  • Some Bugs
  • EIEIO: How Old MacDonald Got His Farm with a Little Help From a Hen
  • Super Duck
  • How to Hide a Lion
  • The Midnight Library
  • Snowflakes Fall
  • The Snatchabook
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Bad Bye, Good Bye
  • Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
  • Little Santa
  • Deep in the Sahara
  • Peck, Peck, Peck
  • It's an Orange Aardvark!
  • Oh, No!
  • Aliens Love Underpants
  • Frog on a Log
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho
More about Julia Donaldson...