Start by marking “Siege” as Want to Read:
Siege

Siege

Leah Jackson - in detention. Then armed Year 9s burst in, shooting. She escapes, just. But the new Lock Down system for keeping intruders out is now locking everyone in. She takes to the ceilings and air vents with another student, Anton, and manages to use her mobile to call out to the world.

First: survive the gang - the so-called 'Eternal Knights'.
Second: rescue other
Published March 7th 2013 by Hodder Children's Books (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Siege, please sign up.
George Roberts me two I only realised she was a girl when she referred two herself
as a sister…more
me two I only realised she was a girl when she referred two herself
as a sister (less)

Start your review of Siege
Jenni Arndt
Sep 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-ebook
This review contains spoilers.

Siege was a novel that I was actually pretty nervous to read when it came time to pick it up. First of all, the cover of the ARC is very jarring and screams unrelenting violence. Second of all, with recent events of the world it seemed like one that would be hard to read and possibly make me want to homeschool my children. I can say that the first 50% hit that mark, it was gory and seemed to be an act of teen rebellion but the way the story went in the latter half
Misty
If I don't shout maybe I can save myself, save the rest of us. But I don't know how I can just look on and watch a murder. Can you do that? Can you look on and do nothing? It feels like I ought to do something. It feels like all of this was because we all just stood by and did nothing, in the before time, in the time when we had every flipping day to sort out all the Connors and all the Jases and all the Lucases ever born.

I went into this with some trepidation, because I think we'd all agree,
hawwa
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite
"If I don't shout maybe I can save myself, save the rest of us. But I don't know how I can just look on and watch a murder. Can you do that? Can you look on and do nothing? It feels like I ought to do something. It feels like all of this was because we all just stood by and did nothing.."

hints:
do not, i repeat, do not. read this book before going to bed: it will give you nightmares.
make sure you have plenty of time to read this in one sitting, because it is impossible to put down.

Review:
I did
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
You can see the full review at Chocolate Chunky Munkie

Wow! What an explosive book this was. Within the first few pages I was gripped. Great concept for a book and one hell of a ride from start to finish. It's horrific and emotional.

There is so much tension in this book, I did have to take a few breaks from it, I don't think my nerves would have coped. The main character Leah dodges so many bad situations that you wonder if she indeed possesses super human powers, but then again the will to
Readingee
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Luna
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Small tip, when you start reading this book do it with enough time to finish in one sitting – because it is impossible to put down.

Siege is a book that left me feeling like my emotions had been put through a cheese-grater. I was raw, I was drained, I was bereft. Given the subject I wasn’t exactly expecting rainbows but truth be told I didn’t anticipate being such an emotional wreck at the end of Siege. One of the reasons is the fact that Leah’s future is too plausible. That thought terrifies me.
Aisha
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this book was REALLY good. it was action packed and a complete thriller that will grip you from start to finish. however, I am a little disappointed with the ending- only because i'm one for sweet happy ones. overall, I REALLY REALLY enjoyed this book.
Olivia
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I didn't finish this book for a number of reasons. One of the reasons is that I just wasn't that interested in the story that was being developed I kind of already figured out what was going to happen and overall I found the book a bit boring.
Jackie Cook
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
This is definitely one of my favourite books of the year!

Leah Jackson was just an ordinary sixteen year old school-girl at YOU OP 78, until the morning the Eternal Knights storm through the school, spree killing anyone in their way. Leah has the will to survive, but at what cost?

Let me start by saying I had no idea what this book was actually about and I had to re-read the first few pages a few times for it to sink in as I was just in utter shock.

Siege never loses its intensity, I was constantly
Cass -  Words on Paper
This one sounds so interesting... but the thought of reading this right now makes me shudder. Shootings. Not really something I'd like to read about, fictional or not. But it's a startling truth that has happened in our world, so I think it's important that these kinds of books are written--not just shoved under the carpet. I'm not sure if this book will be written such that it glorifies these acts or not, but I'll read it (someday) and get back to you on it.

Even the cover gives me the jeebs.
Trisha
Hard to read, harder to review, difficult to rate.

Confronting, disturbing, depressing and ultimately heart- breaking.

Leah's determination to save everyone is courageous. Not a book for everyone.

Brittany Hayes
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put this one down. Really enjoyed it. I got quite invested, and found myself screaming at the main character...alot. Interesting plot twist - not sure how I feel about. But overall - enjoyed it, and it messed with my heart.
Kristen
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Even though I had to keep reading until the end there is no way I will be giving this to any teenagers to read. Confronting, disturbing and violent.
Mrs Daley
May 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Disturbing beyond belief.
Eve beinguniquebooks
Leah is in school when suddenly, it's lock down.

Gunmen raid the school armed with guns and shoot to kill many and any students.

Only they're also students.

One particular stands out to Leah, Connor, her brother.

As she fights to survive she braves danger by trying to help save others while keeping herself alive, get help via her phone and bargain with the gunmen.

Only as she starts to realise, the kids are just a ruse and the government have a big roll to play in the bloodbath horror.

This was a
Denise
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
A day like any other becomes every parent's, student's and teacher's worst nightmare. Leah Jackson is in detention when the shooting starts: A group of heavily armed younger boys are firing at everything and everyone inside, and within minutes Leah witnesses multiple casualties. Along with a fellow student, she manages to find a hiding spot and the first wave of violence passes her by - but the nightmare has just begun. With the school's security lock down procedure activated, the students and ...more
Heidi Mclean
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an amazing book that had me gripped from the very first page! It not only explore the themes of gun violence, it looks at family relationships, friendships and courage. I must admit k was disappointed with the ending but understand how easy it would have been for the two hero's to have walked away. This is a text that is potentially worth exploring with a KS2 class, especially when looking at chronological events and that particular style of writing. Would most definitely read ...more
Landon
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!! I wasn't expecting that. Good book! The pacing of this book and how it was written was well put into order; I couldn't put it down. The constant movement and events in the book were good. The MC was likable. If you have read this book. I think you should pick it up at a local library, buy or borrow it. Doesn't matter you definitely wouldn't be disappointed at all. this book had my full attention.
George Roberts
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 11-19
this book was spectacular it grabbed me and drag me into its world and kept me in it from
the first page to the last
Claude's Bookzone
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars
Alyssia Cooke
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What do you do when the worst happens? When two boys storm into your detention, shoot your teacher in the head and get the rest of the class to file out to their potential deaths? What do you do when your decisions led to a child being shot because your chances of survival were better without her? What do you do when you have a nasty suspicion that your own brother is in that room full of children and that he’s holding a gun? Most importantly, what do you do when nothing makes sense? When ...more
chucklesthescot
Mar 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Suzy Howard
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story takes place within a school called You OP 78. Leah Jackson (16) is a feisty and headstrong teenage girl partly due to being the eldest within her one parent family unit where she lives with her mother and two siblings.

I really liked the fact that this book portrays a strong female lead with plenty of guts and determination yet there is also tenderness under all this strength; a fragility and vulnerability which makes you want to care, comfort and nurture her by removing her from her
Victor C. Junior
Apr 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unsatisfactory
49% | UNSATISFACTORY
Kim
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘Siege’ is an intense and confronting novel. You can’t read it without getting emotional. In light of current situations, a high school gun and hostage situation is a pretty powerful topic, and Sarah Mussi captures the danger and destruction that goes along with it very well.

The book is set slightly in the future where kids from economically disadvantaged families are sent to high security schools to receive courtesy education with no actual intent to send them into better situations – like
Lea
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: favorites
Beth Kemp
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shocking, raw and powerful - a fab YA thriller

I know that some people have found this to be too violent. It is certainly not suitable for the younger end of the YA spectrum. However, the violence is not gratuitous and the novel is thought-provoking and challenging enough to justify its shock value (think Clockwork Orange, perhaps).

Written in a strong first person, present tense voice, and set in 2020, Siege introduces us to Leah Jackson at the precise moment a group of boys open fire in
ella
Brilliant! Read this aged 11 and found it to be the most exciting book I’d ever read. The beginning and flash-backs about the morning before school were pretty boring as they drew away from the intense, speedy action of the main plot. But the rest of the book was great, I cringed slightly at the attempts by the author to write as a teenager but it wasn’t a major issue. Overall, I enjoyed it massively.
Andreww
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Siege by Sarah Mussi published by Hodder Children's Books September 2013
Leah Jackson is a brave. Leah Jackson is scared. She is our heroine and she is just an ordinary girl. Leah Jackson is all of these things, often in the same chapter. When Leah's school is taken over by a group of violent, gun-toting Year 9 students called the Black Knights and the shooting starts she is in a fight for survival.

The narrative is taut and initially, irritating. We are thrown into Leah's first person vernacular
« previous 1 3 next »

• Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)
  • The End of the World (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6.5)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • Rewrite the Stars
  • The Perfect Dress: A sweet, feel-good romance that will sweep you off your feet this Christmas
  • Isolation
  • The Tailor's Girl
  • I Am a Taxi
  • East of Croydon: Travels through India and South East Asia inspired by her BBC 1 series 'The Ganges'
  • Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
  • The Trophy Child
  • Lies We Tell Ourselves
  • Survivor (Alone, #2)
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • Shift
Sarah Mussi was born in Gloucestershire. After her education at a girl’s school in Cheltenham, she completed a post graduate degree at the Royal College of Art before leaving the UK for West Africa. She lived in Ghana, West Africa for over eighteen years, marrying a Ghanaian and teaching in Accra. Sarah now lives in Brixton and teaches in Lewisham, splitting her holidays between England and Ghana.