Start by marking “Hainted” as Want to Read:
Hainted

Hainted

Alternate cover edition of ASIN B0095JX7DY can be found here

The Good Guy: Haint-working runs in Dan Miller’s blood. Not everyone can help the restless dead cross over, especially when the haunting threatens the Living. But the death of his parents six years ago forced Dan to give it up in exchange for raising his brother and sister, all the while struggling to keep th
Published September 2nd 2012

Start your review of Hainted
Ami
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Mandapanda

My problem with this book came from wrong expectation. With nasty haints (ghosts who aren't moving forward) and bleeding houses and exorcisms, which were presented in the first couple of chapters, I approached this book with some notions that it would heavily rely on paranormal/horror element.

Unfortunately for me, this wasn't what the book turned out to be.

Dan and Leif were longing and yearning towards the other. Both were thinking that they 'weren't good enough' for the other. D
Macky
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.25*
Having just discovered Jordan L Hawk I'm now having a bit of a back to back read of her books and loving every one. Hainted hasn't disappointed I'm glad to say. There's something about the way she writes which personally I find really satisfying. Her subject matters are refreshingly different and that lifts them above being just good but formulaic Paranormal m/m romances.

The book is about Haints, haunting spirits that need help passing over with the help of Walkers, groups of people from all wa
Nina
I really really liked this! I'd been wanting to try out something of JLH's for quite some time, but I didn't know what to start with so I just kind of left the matter in a corner of my mind to... ferment, I guess. But then this one was temporarily sold as a freebie to celebrate DOMA ruling, and I kind of had to get it. And now I, um, might be a little bit in love with Jordan L. Hawk.

Original magic with some traditional mythology and disgustingly rotten living dead thrown in, sweet, s
Kaje Harper
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal
This story is less a creepy magical suspense and more an active battle against evil, featuring two men who have the skills to lay the restless dead. It is notable for a well-imagined paranormal world, where fighting skills and magic are both needed. The haint-workers and their battle against a necromancer caught and held my interest.

The romance element here is sweet, if a little fast. I particularly liked Leif and his difficult past. I also felt for Dan, trapped by guilt and his family obligati
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US! 10/28/13 :)
~Volha~
When I pick up any of Jordan L. Hawk's books I know it will be a good one in my personal opinion. Her ability to create new worlds and creatures astounds me. I love paranormal romance and she is the master! This novel started a little bit slow but I think it was the anticipation here that made it so much better for me.

Dan is a simple farmer on the surface but deep inside he carries guilt the size of Texas and so many insecurities that he hides himself from everyone even his family. He is steadf
Mandy*reads obsessively*
*sigh* I've discovered an author who's going on my auto buy list!
I started with the Widdershins and then ran out and bought Threshold and Eidolon. ( and considering I am an historical-hater that's saying a lot about those books)
Then I remembered I had this one and couldn't wait to get started.
First let me say, these are all self published and you really get a big bang (and word count) for your buck.

*sigh* I've discovered an author who's going on my auto buy list!
I started with the
Then I remembered I had this one and couldn't wait to get started.

Jordan L. Hawk has a very vivid imagination, slightly freaky and scary, but I can appreciate that.
The blurb just doesn't do this book justice IMHO. I wouldn't have bought it based on the blurb, it's so much more.
Good versus evil, corruption, redemption, freaky scary un-dead, annoying and sullen teenagers, guilt, lots of guilt.
It's about putting others before yourself, doing your best and learning from your mistakes and doing the right thing and maybe just being more than you think you are.
And did I mention the scary stinky un-dead?
Anyway..Dan is just sort of doing what he has to. Not really living his life but taking his responsibility to his siblings very seriously. He really really underestimates himself.
“Leif was so sophisticated, with his fancy car and his sword, and his talk of traveling around hunting necromancers that Dan felt like a kid or a country bumpkin beside him. Way out of Dan’s league, both personally and professionally, but somehow, it made it even more important he not screw this up. He wanted to prove himself, to show Leif he could handle a haint.”
Leif is so full of self doubt and hatred but he wants, he really wants to do the right thing.
“It fit perfectly with his reserve, with the sense he kept a hard shell between the world and the vulnerable core of himself.
And I’m the one he wanted to let inside. It stole his breath and made his chest ache. How can I say no to that?”

This was full of action, fighting paranormal forces, interesting worlds and lore, smart and kickass woman ( Taryn and Bea) and love.

Anyway this book held my attention, kept me on the edge of my seat and I wouldn't mind seeing what the future holds for all of them in another book.
Shelby
Well that was a bust… sleeping I mean. I fully intended to read a few chapters before bed when I started this book, soooooo not what happened. I believe it was 5am when I finished. I absolutely could not put this book, there was no way I was going to sleep until I’d devoured it all!

Dan Miller comes from a long line of haint workers, his family has been helping disgruntled and trapped ghosts move on for generations. After the deaths of both of his parents though, and the actions he had to
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This book was amazing. It had everything I wanted: lots of danger and injury and desperate wanting and angst and a different paranormal take and very good writing and an excellent plot and strong, individual characters and conflict and on and on. I LOVED it! If you like M/M paranormal romances, go read it. This one is fabulous.

I liked that they used a condom even for oral sex. That's important and so many books omit that part.

I really like how Leif puts Dan's father's death into per
Jason Bradley
Why haven't I read anything by this author until now?
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: SueM
I just love an author who can plot out a new and creative way of presenting paranormal creatures and, not only hold my attention, but have me desperately turning pages (or tapping my kindle) to reveal the next plot twist. This book does it completely. I'm very impressed.

Dan Miller is a Walker, a person who is able to send lost souls, haints, to the Other Side. He hasn't practiced his craft in sex years-- ever since his mother died at the hands of a haint and the resulting despair caused his fat
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Why do I feel I've just read a very long book? It isn't a long book at all, but so much happens that you can hardly catch a break.
If the characters are not fighting the risen, they are struggling with their own insecurities. And I mean struggling! Dan took that to a whole new level. That was a bit annoying after the tenth time of 'I failed', but I got over it.

Bigots, of course, are not forgotten either. While they don't play any important role in the story, they are still there to make you angry.
Tabitha McGowan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this in two days. This morning my teenaged daughter borrowed my iPad for school when I still had 20 pages to read and I told her that if she lost it she was no longer my kin and would need to find a new home. Because I had to finish this book.

Oh,and I want to keep Leif as a pet, which is probably illegal, but I drank a whole bottle of wine before I wrote this review, so I don't give a shit.
TL
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: m/m fans
Shelves: favorites
10/18/2014

Love this even more the second time around *happy sigh* Off to a slightly slow start but immediately plunges you into the World of Haint-Work.

Jordan L Hawk creates a very interesting and compelling world... the energy crackles as you walk in Dan/Leif's shoes as they work to stop Runar.

I love how she built up Dan and Leif's relationship and Leif's relationships with Bea and Virgil... Dan and Leif slowly come to trust one another, building a foundation of trust and respect.

Leif's keeping secrets from everyone. He believe
Elizabetta
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabetta by: Steelwhisper

haint: southern colloquialism for a ghost, apparition or lost soul; in folklore and popular culture, the spirit of a deceased person unable to move on to final peace, and capable of appearing in visible form or otherwise manifesting itself to the living

Set in Appalachia country, the land of moonshine and hillbilly sensibility (ah, good memories of Lyn Gala’s Mountain Prey), this paranormal romance takes a more serious route and centers around haint, or ghost, hunting. Our two studly heroes are very gostars
Trix
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Trix by: Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I had two major issues with the story which made me give it 2 stars.

(view spoiler) ...more
Don Bradshaw
Jordan L. Hawk just plain old rocks as one of the best m/m paranormal writers today. I have read most of her books and have never once been disappointed. Hainted deals with so many intertwined topics from folk lore to raise two siblings without parents. This story is set in the mountains of North Carolina which is steeped in American and Native American folk lore and paranormal beliefs. Strong characters that are believable and a story line that just may be possible grabbed me and wouldn't let ...more
Pamela Su
A compelling romance masterfully woven with paranormal and urban fantasy themes.

One of the issues I have with fantasy romance is the lack of world-building or some elements don't quite jive with the story. I have no issues whatsoever here. I was completely drawn into this world of haints, haint workers and necromancers.

It doesn't have that feel of trying too hard to be a fantasy romance. The story is told simply and with such skill that the romance just shines in the story and I hav
M'rella
omgthisbook! @.@

I hate ghosts. I hate zombies. I hate horror.
4.5 stars. Do I make sense? O.o

~~*~~

There are some editorial problems, but not enough to dramatically affect my rating. The ending is a bit predictable and I while was hoping for a darker, more complex finale, I really can't complain about the existing one either.

"Sweethearts" and "babies" caught me by surprise, but - whatever. I've seen couples like that in real life and I thought they were the cutest
Santy
3.5 Stars!

This was my first book by JLH and I really enjoyed it.

It was outside my usual fare with a whole more gore and nasty things than I'm used to but it was really good!

The book started out a bit slow. Both MCs annoyed the hell out of me for a while. There was also a little bit of action interspersed here and there during the slow moments. BUT when it picked up, it made for an exciting and totally unpredictable reading experience.

There isn't much more I
 Joyce
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Krissy for recommending.

This is a very good story line with unique creatures, coming out and HEA. The characters are well developed, and the flow and details of the writing are spot on. A great October read!
❀~Amy~❀
I don't read ghost stories, I just don't. They're the one thing that I have always truly been afraid of. Of course, I didn't realized just what this book was when I started. I only knew that it was on the list I needed it on and it was written by one of my favorite authors. I should have read the blurb at the very least. Oh well. Scared as I was through a lot of this, I loved it anyway. Jordan's style of writing just works for me and this book was no exception. I loved Leif and Dan and watching ...more
Shaz
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, paranormal
This is one of those surprising packages. One of those books that for some reason I'm reluctant to start, but once I do I can't imagine why...

A paranormal story that has nothing to do with vampires or shifters is becoming a real find. But this one delivers in spades. The paranormal aspect is very well written and simply set in everyday life.

The characters are well-rounded. Sexy and very lovable, they took me on their journey. The extra's in the book all had their places and roles to
Gina
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favorites, paranormal
I loved this! yep, definitely kept me interested. I love Jordan Hawk! *happy dance*
Kat
Jun 26, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freefic, m-m
Currently FREE ON SMASHWORDS to celebrate DOMA ruling!!

Use code: CK46P. Go get it!

Jordan L. Hawk rocks. And thanks again Steel.:)

Mandi
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars. Really liked the paranormal aspects in this story. The 'walkers' and 'haints' hooked me good! Loved the creepiness factor of it all. I did have one thing I wanted answered (view spoiler)

Loved both main
Simon
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow!
I must admit to being slightly confused during the first few chapters of this novel and it took an effort of concentration to understand the characters, the haints and the world in which the aforesaid inhabit.
However, once I realised that a haint is a ghost and not a zombie, the plot fell into place.
Seriously action packed. Seriously paranormal. Descriptive to the point that one can almost imagine oneself watching the movie.
M/M romance in a paranormal setting. Well wo
Susan
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, free, z-2013
I really enjoyed the story and it was refreshingly different from anything I've read before. I very quickly became emotionally invested with both Dan and Leif. I liked the underlying creepiness woven into the book which mixed well with the out-and-out nastiness that appeared at times. There was a lot of world-building and backstory to the book but it was incorporated into the story and it never felt out of place. Definitely a new favourite author.
Alisa

Not my favorite by this author but still an enjoyable read.
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
I really enjoyed this unique paranormal book and found the world building regarding the haints fascinating. It reminded me just a little bit of supernatural with "hunters" chasing down haints and sending them to the underworld. I also found all the different types of haints interesting and I loved the sub-culture of the haint workers and how each worked for a different death god and had unique ways of sending the haints to their rest.

I also really liked both Dan and Leif. Dan's backstory was he
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Jordan L. Hawk Hainted 1 14 Nov 23, 2013 03:12PM

• Blackbird in the Reeds (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • Tallowwood
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Prince of Death (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • NoX
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • The Finder
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Axios: A Spartan Tale
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity, #2)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook.