Start by marking “The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)” as Want to Read:
The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)

The City Who Fought (Brainship #4)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  4,099 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Shellperson with a mission

Simeon was bored. Not with being a shellperson—like Helva, The Ship Who Sang, and Tia, The Ship Who Searched, he rather pitied “softshells” their mayfly lives and absurdly limited senses—but with running the mining and processing station that made up his “body.” So when the arrival of an out-of-control refugee ship interrupted his latest wargame (
Hardcover
Published April 1st 1993 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The City Who Fought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City Who Fought

Kristine
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading a favorite series. Comfort reading during a hectic time of the year.
Tyrean
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an old favorite, but I just re-read it and entered it into Goodreads for the first time. It is definitely worth reading more than once. McCaffrey knocks scifi out of the park as usual in this excellent book!
Caroline Berg
Nearly everything about this book is insulting. The portrayal of women is insulting. The portrayal of men is insulting. The portrayal of gamers - particularly war-gamers is insulting. The portrayal of non-white characters is insulting. The portrayal of LGBT characters is insulting. Most of the characters have no redeeming qualities. The text itself is so casually insulting to the reader I wouldn't be surprised if the authors sat down and said "I've got an idea - let's write the most insulting pi ...more
Travis
Dec 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Nice change of pace setting, as the 'Brainship' in this book is actually a 'Brain Space station', and roles are reversed in that the 'brain' is a guy and the 'brawn' is a girl.
Unfortunately, the story was a bit too brutal and gritty for my tastes and it broke one of my rules for writing, in that I have no tolerance for rape being used as a plot device.

Liked the characters and ideas, but the efforts to do 'gritty, realistic' space opera meant it wasn't a fun book.

Peter
Stinks: One of the worst books I've ever read. I usually like both the authors individually, but they (a) don't mesh and (b) really need better editorial control. One example should suffice without giving much away - the baddies are black-skinned humans and the goodies white (and one of the baddies even turns out - shock, horror - to be gay). Really unnecessary and objectionable laziness.
Carena Wood beimler
A wonderful bit of Sci Fi fluff. Dark adult themes, but not too graphic in the depiction of such.
It's been decades since I read the other books in the series and I had no problems falling into the world.
A bit of a cheesy ending, but it's ok. They deserve a happily ever after.
Ralph McEwen
A little dated but an interesting concept non the less. I enjoyed the strong female lead and the interplay between her and the males.
Andrée
this reads like YA fiction but I imagine that some of the themes rape/murder/incest/child abuse could be seen as too adult.....Yes it's old fashioned in parts but it was written over a quarter of a century ago
One reviewer found nothing to like but I loved the positive role models viz
Simeon - (literally the brains of the space station) disabled,romantic and self analysing though nerdy; Joat - a young girl who (despite horrific upbringing) is funny, independent and an IT/engineering whiz; Channa
Anatoly
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whether it was the hard-to-understand narration, the meandering storyline, the relatively simple characters, or the annoying personality of what was supposed to be one of the main characters, the city's brain, this book just did not click with me, at all.
Tim
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp, with entertaining characters as long as you don't require too much depth to them. Plot was fun too.

I liked it fine.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • The Warrior
  • The People of Pern
  • Migration (Species Imperative, #2)
  • Werehunter
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Brainship (7 books)
  • The Ship Who Sang (Brainship, #1)
  • PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
  • The Ship Who Won (Brainship, #5)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged