Start by marking “You Won’t Remember This” as Want to Read:
You Won’t Remember This

You Won’t Remember This

The twelve stories in Kate Blackwell’s debut collection illuminate the lives of men and women who appear as unremarkable as your next-door-neighbor until their lives explode quietly on the page. Her wry, often darkly funny voice describes the repressed underside of a range of middle-class characters living in the South. Blackwell’s focus is elemental—on marriage, birth, de ...more
Published May 7th 2007 by Southern Methodist University Press

To ask other readers questions about You Won’t Remember This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Won’t Remember This

Start your review of You Won’t Remember This
Joanne Leedom-Ackerman
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just reread Kate Blackwell’s “you won’t remember this,” a treasure of a short story collection. If you are from the South, it will instantly take you home and if you’re not, you will be at home, eavesdropping on characters in their intimate dramas. You will be on the screened porch on a summer evening gossiping about small and giant issues of family and friends with characters who are often pining for
something beyond the life they are living but uncertain what that is. Kate’s prose is invariab
Douglas  Jackson
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
A collection of well-crafted, satisfying stories. The dialogue rings true, the characters are authentic--I'm sure I've met some of them before. I rotated these alongside stories by Cheever, Toibin, Ben Fountain, and whatever I was putting my hands on at the time, and these stood their ground. Ms. Blackwell is a real short story writer.
Mary
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I just learned some deep truths that I am now unable to articulate. This must be what it's like to get high and discover the meaning of life, write it down, and the next day find a piece of paper that just says "Oranges are green." Anyway, these stories were just like, whoa, and yeah, so much.
Elizabeth
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Short story readers and readers of better Chick Lit
Recommended to Elizabeth by: review
Shelves: womens-fiction
One of those few short story collections you can open and immediately fall into, forgetting everything else. Black's characters are curious, rich and rounded, and the stories are complex but believable, centering around the subtleties of southern life and culture.
Elizabeth Bruce
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: David Taylor
Beautifully crafted stories, intimate and searching. Contemporary Americans striving for coherent, sustaining narratives within a fickle mainstream world.
Jo
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I loved this lovely book of short stories. It's almost a complete mystery to me - I'm sure I bought the eBook ages ago because I can't remember where I read the description. I can't remember purchasing it. I was walking on my lunch break at work one day and saw it just sitting there in my queue. I started reading it, believing the first story was just another sweet, endearing love story (as it started off talking about family memories of a past a wedding). I thought I'd put it down as soon as my ...more
Sara
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent a long time thinking about what to write about this book. Let me start by describing it. This book is full of very short stories. Stories with no ending. As if they are a collection of chapters from different stories. Each story was a snippet of the intricacies of relationships, marriages (or break down of marriages) for the most part. I wasn't sure if I liked it. They seemed to have no end. It felt incomplete. But then one evening I found myself lying in bed, having just finished one of ...more
Barbara Howard
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing Stories

I am not usually a reader of short stories, but this collection was intriguing. Kate Blackwell is quite a wordsmith, and her understanding of various types of relationships is apparent. If, however, you like stories with no questions left unanswered, you will find many of these frustrating!
Brenda
I found all of the stories to be interesting with one exception - Pepper Hunt - I had to stop reading this one as it was too upsetting to me. I enjoyed the story lines and the characters in most of the stories. Good short read.
julie morse
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the short stories

Very good writer. Will be looking forward what she will come up with in the future. A lot of thought provoking stories for sure
Ronald Keeler
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I like collections of short stories that I can carry around and check into during the unplanned downtimes that occur. The more varied the themes, the better. I don’t feel I have to go back to re-establish the threads of several connected themes. “You Won’t Remember This” satisfies this function. When there was a story I just did not get, I just jumped to the next one. Maybe I will go back and try the few I did not get at a later time. Below are my instant first impressions and what I believe to ...more
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

The twelve stories are about characters who are outwardly unremarkable, but whose fraught inner lives are exposed, nerve by nerve, by the situations they must deal with, along with the strange—but entirely believable—actions they must choose. A young husband deals with his charged, erotic feelings toward his dying wife. A bride composes a list of books to get her through her marriage,” saving Proust for her forties. A married couple is reunited with the man who almost tore apart t
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very intelligent literary collection.
A diverse collection of subjects and situations, many taking place in North Carolina.
She has made me want to visit the area.
Beautiful word pictures that give the reader much to think about, even when I did not particularly care
for one of the stories, I still had to admire the author's descriptive talent.

My first impression was that these short stories reminded me of the stories published in my mother's magazines,
(Ladies Home Journal, Redbook, G
Megs
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was certainly a lot more literary than I usually read and I think that hurt my enjoyment of the stories. Some of them I did enjoy and even became invested in the characters of some of the longer ones. But I did love any of them and I didn't really understand the point of many of them. Most profiled periods of people's lives without really making any impact of me.

I guess the major theme for me was just the every day struggles of life. But many of these struggles turned out to be fairly
Daniela
Dec 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
There isn't anything worth remembering in this book. Yes, it is stories about people but they all end abruptly with no real conclusion. If I wanted that I would read blogs. I rarely only give 1 star but this book truly disappointed me. It took me a long time to read. I kept trying one more story hoping it would get better but it didn't. I downloaded this based on many good reviews. It wasn't for me.
Becky
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
kryppticbooks
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A glimpse of people’s lives. These stories are just ordinary life. They celebrate the still life. Where nothing gets resolved and nothing extraordinary ever happens. There are no real twists or surprises. And, yet, the stories are mesmerising. Read more at kryppticbooks.wordpress.com. ...more
Teddie
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
What an unexpected pleasure!

I enjoyed this book of short stories very much. Rather than stories with a beginning, middle and end, what we get are twelve thin slices of life. In each story, the author puts us inside the mind of=sharply drawn character. get a sharp view from inside someone example, in "The Obi Tree"

The stories don't have a beginning, middle, and end.
Sariana
I downloaded this book as a freebie on my Kindle and, based on past experience, wasn't expecting much. The first story didn't catch my interest, but after that, I was hooked. Each story is a little window into the lives and relationships of its characters. Some stories are sad and some uplifting, making this a great collection.
Marci Lambert
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of contemporary short stories. Very well written, descriptive and full of interesting characters and their thoughts. Sometimes I like short stories as a break from novels but this collection stands very well in its own.
Brett Gibbs
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love short stories and this book didn't disappoint...Blackwell made the stories come alive for me. I especially liked the title story and the last story, about tourist in Crete...flawed but real characters.
Betty
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of short stories so well crafted that you are immediately drawn in. You want to stay and learn more about the characters and their lives. Each story is superb and a pleasure to read~treasures to be read over and over.
Marie (UK)
I am not a short story lover. Having said that these were well written and at least led somewhere. I enjoyed some more than others of course and some were truly unmemorable as the title suggests. Overall though the book was an easy and appealing read
Ro El
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't like short story collections, but these are all by the same author and semi-connected thematically albeit not through characters. We start mid-thought and finish semi-resolved. Snapshots of southern life. A good read.
Kim
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book of short stories, not being familiar with the book or the author. What a great surprise! This book was great! Each little short story left me hanging on the edge of my seat, not wanting the story to end. I will search to see if Kate Blackwell has other books!
Les
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
The stories are beautifully written and the characters are very deep and complex. The only drawback I found is that the stories had no real conclusion. It was as if you walked into a movie 30 minutes after it started and left after 20 minutes.
Lacygnette
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly old-fashioned stories but well done. I particularly liked My First Wedding - a blend of hilarity and sadness that struck home. The story was told from the POV of a child, a hard thing to do well.
Caroline Martin
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Effortlessly readable

Each story a cohesive whole, yet each linked cleverly to the next like a strand of pearls. I'm off to find more by Kate Blackwell. P.s. Totally memorable.
Mary
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
downloaded for free
just ok
some stories were great
some were ok
some were wth?
did not get that they tied together as one reviewer wrote
Candy Greenway
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stories written by a North Carolinian. She managed to capture some of the quirks about people in that area that I've never seen in print.

• In An Instant
  • Shadowrise (Shadowmarch, #3)
  • Shadowheart (Shadowmarch, #4)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
  • Winter (Seasonal #2)
  • A Game of Ghosts (Charlie Parker, #15)
  • Dogs of War
  • The Voyage of the Short Serpent
  • A Month in the Country
  • The Cider House Rules
  • The Secret Life of Cows
  • The Reddening
  • The Scarlet Nightingale
  • The Secrets of Lost Stones
  • Men From The Boys (Harry Silver, #3)
  • Sharpe's Enemy (Sharpe, #15)
  • Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, #1)
  • The American Book of the Dead