Start by marking “Inheritance (Adaptation #2)” as Want to Read:
Inheritance (Adaptation #2)

Inheritance

(Adaptation #2)

Reese and David are different now. Surrounded by a web of conspiracies, Reece feels that she must choose between two worlds.

Her choices: David - or Amber? This world - or another? Should they tell the truth, and risk everything?
Published September 24th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Inheritance, please sign up.
Colleen Samura It's a duology, Inheritance is the last book. There is a companion novella available, Natural Selection. It gives more insight into Amber's character …moreIt's a duology, Inheritance is the last book. There is a companion novella available, Natural Selection. It gives more insight into Amber's character and homeland. (less)

Start your review of Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
karen
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
real review added, but it's after all the maggie pictures because nobody puts maggie in the corner

maggie!! what are you up to??

photo IMG_6205_zpscog6qktn.jpg

i reading the book!!

photo IMG_6206_zpshmdtsa2j.jpg

maggie, i hate to break it to you, but that's book two, and i know you haven't read book one. also - upside-down, dude.

photo IMG_6207_zpsjawiiuvc.jpg

i hate you - you're not even my real mom!!! *sulk*

photo IMG_6208_zpsyovyodeb.jpg

3.5 stars.

possible spoilers for book 1 - i don't know how much of the basic plot of this series is known to those who haven't read it.

3.5 is one of those "me-ratings,"
mishi
the book was really long and boring. the triangle turned into poly which i couldn't enjoy because i was rooting for Amber and Reese, i didn't like David nor did i see it coming. What could've been a great f/f was sacrificed for poor man's poly. I am really angry at this book.
Ali
May 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilty
S.E. Smith
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A stunning followup to ADAPTATION. Without being all spoilery all over the place, INHERITANCE plunges into some fascinating and complex issues re:sex, gender, and relationships that make it a delicious read well beyond the terrific story. My admiration for Malinda Lo has just increased by like 2,389%.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Two girls and a guy….plus aliens!

Opening Sentence: “The triangular spaceship hovered motionless in the sky above Resse Holloway’s house, as inscrutable as a blackhole.”

The Review:

Reese, David and Amber are back again in this conclusion to Adaptation. Reese is still struggling to come to terms with Amber’s betrayal, her sexuality and her new abilities as an adapted human hybrid. David is struggling with the adjustment and his relationship with Re
P. Industry
Samantha
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Here's the deal, I really liked Adaptation, and I loved Natural Selection , but Inheritance really fell short of my expectations. In many ways I felt it read like bad fanfiction.

Inheritance picks up right where Adaptation left off, and moves rather slowly from there.What I did like was learning more about Amber and her Alien Cohort, and that is where my enjoyment stopped.

The follow through on the romance really confused me, and it felt very contrived. The end of the book is the pink elephant i
Marie the Librarian
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked how it all came together in the end, and I like Reese. More bisexuals please.
Suzi
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yay polyamory! Yay bisexuality! Yay aliens! Yay Malinda Lo! If only there were more books that blended explorations of teen romance and sexuality, complicated families, race relations, what it means to be human, government cover ups, and aliens so seamlessly. There were certainly some moments in the first half of this book where I wanted to give the story a shove to get moving faster, but it definitely picks up pace in the second half. A very enjoyable series.
maggiefan
I mean... It was alright, but not at all what I expected. I thought that there would be more action and conspiracy. But 80% of the book was about teenage drama and Reese not being able to choose between Amber and David. I actually quite enjoyed this aspect of the book. The characters were interesting to follow and I will always remember them as my dumb babies. I'm kinda glad I finished this series.
Sara Norja
I didn't like this as much as Adaptation, but it was an enjoyable conclusion to the story nonetheless, and a quick read. However, TW for threat of rape towards the end - that was not something I expected in this story, and it made me feel unpleasant even though it was "just" a threat.

Would recommend these books to teens, though, because it feels great to have a bisexual protagonist and alternative relationship forms. If books like this had been out when I was a teen, I might have realised some t
shunnaoaddict
There are many good things that I could say about first book, but - unfortunately - there is much less of them that I can say about the second.

The bad? The thing that bothered me the most was the love triangle. While it was refreshing and played nicely in first book, in this one it was so over the top I was getting annoyed. Even the fact that it was bisexual triangle didn't help, I can only imagine my distaste if that would be het-triangle-only. So much overthinking and drama. I didn't even lik
Jan
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This Young Adult novel gets an extra star for having a bisexual protagonist. I often like sci fi that is more social-science fiction than hard-science fiction. Social sci fi, like that of Ursula Le Guin or James Tiptree, Jr., tends to have a world where something is different socially rather than just technologically. In this case, it's the ability of the visiting aliens to communicate feelings through touch. That kind of sci fi, sometimes called New Wave sci fi, I think, usually has more of a f ...more
Finn Longman
Let's be real, this book features the only acceptable way to deal with love triangles. Bless Malinda Lo for unboringifying that.

Also this was pretty awesome. I'm not sure if all my questions from book one were answered? But I can't entirely remember what they were, so yeah.
annie
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, 4-stars
AAH THIS BOOK REESE A ND AMBER AND DAVID AND THE ENDING AND TH DIVERSITY AND THE PLOT AND CHARACTERS AND I JUST IM EMO BRB
Alison Evans
so on point!!!! Lo's portrayal of internalised biphobia hit me like a ton of bricks.
Jenn
I got to pg. 142 and had to dnf. I'm just not feeling it. The first book was okay but so far in this one, I'm not feeling the "clever, fast-paced, romantic adventure" that's described on the front of the book. I'm left bored and not feeling the romance. I don't feel the chemistry between Amber or David. Shame because I was hoping for some fire between them. Oh well, maybe I'll try again in the future.
Matilda Rennstam
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think this was a great ending for the Adaptation series, and I really liked how Lo wasn't scared to write things that are considered controversial (at least for our fellow humans). However I think that the book was unnecessarily long and that the middle part of the book didn't have any real meaning to the plot. The book could have been written a lot shorter and still would have contained the same amount of information and value.
Melanie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok, definitely YA as the author explained a lot of details to the reader. Quick ending without any clear polyamory explanations that I’ve read in the past, kinda disappointed in that.
P.M.
Apr 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was about 400 pages too long. Apparently it is the second book in a series. It wouldn't matter. I didn't like any of the characters. Even having aliens did not save it from the dreaded one star.
Kristen
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rough start to the book, first 10 chapters were really boring and I had to get through it. Once Amber was back in the story things got better and the story really picked up in the last half of the book.
Linh Nguyen
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, queer, sci-fi
The series is good. I don't quite like Reese as her insecurity annoyed me sometimes, but thinking back on my younger self I can definitely relate to her. Reese's bisexuality and polyamorous relationship with Amber and David are very interesting. If there's going to be a third book I would like to read to see how the main characters develop (more Amber, Reese/Amber please!).
Voronwer
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Even starting to write this review, I'm not sure what rating to give it. I always have trouble with picking out a rating, but Inheritance makes it extra difficult. In a way, I like this second (third?) part of the series better than the first. That's because I was curious about what was to come next and I wanted to know more about the Imria and everything else. I wasn't disappointed when it came to the story part. Inheritance lives up to my expectations there and it brings me back to the good ol ...more
Jocilyn
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully gripping and heartwarming piece of science fiction, YA and LGBT lit, Inheritance is the followup book to the cryptic near-but-not-quite-apocalyptic X-Files homage of a novel, Adaptation. As a long time fan of Lo's work, I was thrown by the uncharacteristic setting and plotlines in Adaptation and found it much less enjoyable than her previous books. However, read in sequence, Inheritance answers all of the questions posed by its prequel as well as far advances the plot and builds so ...more
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
After reading Adaptation I knew I had to continue on with this series by Malinda Lo. I haven’t really read many alien books, so they are still a novelty to me but I think that this series is a great one. The writing style is easy to read and you are given the information you need, maybe not all right away but you get it eventually. I was once again hooked by the book right away and even though it had been awhile since I had read the first book, I picked it right back up. There is a bit of info d ...more
Erin
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
What I'm about to say makes it sound like I didn't like this book, but I really did: this is an easier-to-read version of Ursula K. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness. That book isn't exactly accessible to teens browsing in the dystopian YA fic section, but I'm extremely happy to see a lot of the same ideas presented by Malinda Lo.

At the book's outset, Amber has been outed as an Imrian, Reese and David become a couple, and they set forth to deal with the aliens, the human government, a human gov
Angie
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'll start with the things I like about this book and series:
1) Diverse characters! Not only is one of our protagonists Chinese, he's also smart, athletic, widely-viewed as attractive, a good guy and popular. Reese, the main character is bi (view spoiler) and that's not looked down upon by anyone of consequence. But Lo fills her world with people of many races, and it's nice to see that.
2) Reese's white privilege is acknowledged and is something Reese has to de
Judy
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed "Adaptation" so I was looking forward to the continuation of the story in "Inheritance". What I didn't expect was that the first few chapters dragged on for me, to the point where it took me several tries to finish the book.

The first part of the book was more about Reese trying to deal with the fallout of what happened to her and David, as well as returning to her old life of being a regular high school kid. Because Reese is so uncomfortable in her own skin and trying to find h
Avery
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
After having finished "Adaptation", the first book in this series, I HAD to read this book- not only to see how the general populace would react to learning that they were, in fact, not alone in the universe (or universes beyond), but to see how Reese would navigate her relationships (if any) with both David and Amber. That being said, once I started reading this book, that initial excitement began to wane, becoming almost non-existent.

My largest complaint about this book was its pacing- I can
Rain
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
So this book picks up where the previous ended and we have Reese and David about to tell everything to the crowd of people outside her house. We find out more about the Imria, what they did to Reese and David and the government cover-ups.

It looked promising but I found it a bit boring, to be honest. It did move rather slowly, though by the end of it (as far as I can remember) there are no questions left unanswered, so that's nice. However the motivations behind the Imrian's actions, for instance
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #41 Inheritance by Malinda Lo 1 1 Apr 06, 2014 01:24PM
AfterEllen.com Bo...: Inheritance. 11 89 Nov 14, 2013 06:50AM

• The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • The Terracotta Bride
  • The Lily and the Crown
  • Keepers of the Cave
  • Places No One Knows
  • Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)
  • This Coven Won't Break (These Witches Don't Burn, #2)
  • Otherbound
  • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
  • Beautiful Dreamer
  • Weeping Walls
  • Bring Holly Home (Remember Me, #1)
  • Marriage of Unconvenience
  • 200 Hours
  • The Witch Sea
  • Aurora's Angel
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Just for Show
Hi Goodreads! I've only created this profile to claim my name here, and I don't check messages here or add friends. I invite you to follow me on Twitter or Tumblr if you want to chat, or visit my website at malindalo.com.

BIO: Malinda Lo is the author of several young adult novels including the sci-fi thriller Adaptation; the sequel, Inheritance, will be published Sept. 24, 2013. Her first novel, A

Adaptation (2 books)
  • Adaptation (Adaptation, #1)