Start by marking “Viral Nation (Viral Nation, #1)” as Want to Read:
Viral Nation (Viral Nation, #1)

Read Excerpt

Viral Nation

(Viral Nation #1)

After a virus claimed nearly the entire global population, the world changed. The United States splintered into fifty walled cities where the surviving citizens clustered to start over. The Company, which ended the plague by bringing a life-saving vaccine back from the future, controls everything. They ration the scant food and supplies through a lottery system, mandate da ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Berkley (first published July 1st 2013)

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
516 books — 2,462 voters
The Distance Between Us by Kasie WestOf Beast and Beauty by Stacey JayIndelible by Dawn MetcalfStarglass by Phoebe NorthEarthbound by Aprilynne Pike
New YA July 2013
54 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
Originally read July 2013
Re-read June 2016

Well done, Shaunta Grimes. This is the first book I have ever read by her, and I don't plan on it being the last!

She quickly draws you in with a great prologue where a virus has broken out and most the the US population is dying. Suddenly there is a cure! But for many, it was too late. Each state was reduced to a single city worth of people. In the state of Nevada, only 20,000 remain, many of them children. Yikes! What a way to start, right?

Jump up 16 y
Whitley Birks
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, almost-good
Read this review and more at Whitley Reads

This book was provided for free by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

My Reaction: This book started out as a fascinating and emotional read. The development of the dystopia was (mostly) believable and resulted in a well-crafted totalitarian regime. The book started to lose its punch, however, when plot got mired down in unanswered questions and “this thing happens just because” type plot points. I was also very disappointed in the portrayal
Anne
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book.

A dystopian time-travel story with an autistic girl as the main character?
My first thought was, "Wow!" , and my second thought was, "Wonder if the author can pull it off?" .
Well, she did.
Congratulations, Ms. Grimes!

There are a lot of us out there who know and love people on the autism spectrum. It's a mysterious condition that strikes without much rhyme or reason, and can range from debilitating to just a bit quirky. And even if you think you've
Rabidreading
**Find this and other reviews @ The Demon Librarian**

When I read the blurb for VIRAL NATION, I was intrigued. YA dystopian and sci-fi, together in one book? Sounds good to me! Then I read the sample chapters (you can find them here). After I got over my initial "holy wow" reaction, I practically fell over myself in my haste to add the book to my TBR list.

It was every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Better, in fact.

VIRAL NATION begins sixteen years after a devastating virus swept the country
Faye, la Patata

Ok, premise-wise, Viral Nation isn't really that original — a virus has struck the world and left a majority of them dead and crippled. One day, a cure was found because man has discovered time travel, and the crisis was averted. Now what we have is a thriving community where everyone is at the mercy of a particular corporation as they need their suppressants to go on living. We have a plot where things aren't really what they seem, and there are shadows lurking in the backdrop, eager to have m
Kathylill
Viral Nation by Shaunta Grimes (you can also read it on my blog http://litslut.wordpress.com/2013/06/...)

Hell, this book is a ride on a wild horse. In this complex dystopian novel you have it all: a deadly virus that took out most of mankind, chilling villains that seized the opportunity and 16 years later control every aspect of life, young freaks and homeless kids that grow up to be the resistance and time travel. Well there’s that and then some more.

All I can say about this novel is that it
Cora Tea Party Princess
This wasn't really my cup of tea.

I didn't click with the writing style, it didn't engage me. So from the start I didn't enjoy it. That said, when the end came I tried again and again to turn the page. It felt like it finished too soon and I wanted to read on as I'd started to like it and even enjoy it. The ending was SO abrupt.

I don't like complex time-travel in books, and this has it in spades. I just get super confused and start over thinking EVERYTHING. Add to that that there wasn't much expl
Anna
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Clover Donovan is 16 and autistic. Ever since she can remember it's been her dream to attend the Academy. She is accepted and then turned down when they learn she needs her service dog, Mango with her. Instead she becomes a Time Mariner. In one fateful mission she learns her brother, West is in danger. She knows she'll have to go up against some powerful people, but she must save him.

Brilliant storytelling!! Viral Nation is an excellent read. A story of many things, but mostly of time travel, do
Vilde
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disclaimer, ynwanted
Received through Goodreads First Reads Goodreads First Reads

This could easily be a messy read, but it manage to weave together the elements, like dystopia, virus and time travel, into a fantastical and intriguing dystopian read. I particularly enjoyed the dynamics between the characters: especially the brother and sister relationship between Clover and West. The premise and the characters was executed well with a complexity I hope will be explored more in depth in the sequel, which I’m definitel
Tammy
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars*****In a word: a unique dystopian world, a fierce and loveable main character, a group of Freaks that might change the world, written in simple and lovely prose.

He shook a dozen small white pills from the bottle. She wouldn’t be able to swallow them; her throat hardly let sips of water through. So he crushed the pills into a fine powder with a gray stone mortar and pestle that they’d bought on their honeymoon in Cuernavaca.

It seems like I’ve been waiting forever to read Viral Nation,
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I neared the end of this immensely readable book, I suddenly realised with horror how few pages there were left. No! Page 290 already? I didn't want to leave the characters I had grown to love and the intriguing future world, or have to face the end of the story. This is, for me, what makes a good book great.

The cover is misleading – with the tough-looking lone girl and her dog, against the burnt-out landscape, it seems to be a post-apocalyptic adventure, possibly promising a trek across a d
Nicole Hewitt
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction.

Viral Nation was a really compelling dystopian novel that takes place in a future where most of the population of the world has been wiped out by a virus. Those remaining are led by The Company - an organization that provides everyone with daily doses of the vaccine and prevents crime via time travel. The Company employs people called Time Mariners who travel two years into the future. Any violent crime that is com
Elizabeth "Liza"
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just wow! I’m a lover of the dystopian genre and I really loved Viral Nation. What a fast paced, complicated and riveting read!

Let me start by telling you how hesitant I was to read this book, I wasn’t sure that I would understand the mindset of an autistic character, but I need to worry as Ms. Grimes is a master of characterization. Clover is brilliant, and has autism. She has dreamed all her life going to the Academy, but during her interview, something goes wrong and she is send to the ‘Compa
S. Policar
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an Uncorrected Proof Print Copy from the author. I will speak nothing of any errors my copy may or may not have since it is uncorrected.

I liked this book A LOT. It's much different than any other post apocalyptic stories I've read or seen. At the same time it holds small simliarities to some of the better known ones, but those similarities are so small they aren't really important.

This author's writing style is quite flawless and the characters and the scenes jump from th
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

VIRAL NATION is a startling dystopian featuring a protagonist with autism who travels through time. It’s a tantalizing mix of Revolution and Minority Report with writing that makes you understand what it’s like to share Clover’s autism, and a story that sinks into your bones from the very first chilling page.

Creating unique characters in YA is becoming a harder and harder job for authors, but Shanta Grimes has done exactly that with Clover. It was utter
Kaitlyn
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure to grab an advanced readers copy of this book, and let me tell you it was a great ride!

This novel is dystopian, and focuses on the female main character, Clover. Suffering from autism in a world that is barely functional, Clover relies on her pet dog Mango, and her brother West to keep her steady. As the plot unfolds, Clover is taken on a journey she would've never imagined; one to bring freedom back in the world she was raised in.

Clover herself is a fantastic protagonist, she
Shelley
*Genre* Science Fiction
*Rating* 4.0

*Full Review Shortly*

Viral Nation is apparently the first book of TWO books according to Ms Grimes own web page...http://shauntagrimes.com/viral-nation. It's really a good thing otherwise I would be completely and utterly shattered by the way this book ended.

I marvel at authors who take chances by having one of their main characters being autistic which 16 year old Clover Donovan is. It's obvious that she's a high functioning autistic as well as extremely smart
Jamie Flinn
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got an early copy of Viral Nationfrom a friend and i could not put it down! I loved the plot, the foreshadowing was really cool and I cannot wait until book #2 comes out! I will definitely read this book over and over again!
Cassie Gutman (happybooklovers)
View the rest on my blog - http://www.happybookloversblog.com

So this is like a mashup of sorts of Hunger Games and the Maximum Ride series. Cross a crazy-power-ridden government agency who is determined to keep people in their place with a band of kids who call themselves the "Freaks" and end up isolated trying to rebel against this crazy dictatorship that's been going on. Clover has grown up not contacting her dad, living with West, and she's always known she was going to go to the Academy. But
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, and couldn't put it down. thanks, netgalley.com, for another great book. (:

I haven't read an apocalyptic, dystopia kind of book like this before. if that's even what this was. I also havent read a book with autistic people in it before, so I really liked this. clover was just a baby when the cure for the disease was found. her father, who burries himself in his work, had to make a choice. kill his suffering wife before she finally died, or let her suffer. and like
Aleap
Actual rating: 4.5

Wow. This was such a page-turner. A time-twisting storyline that featured not only likable characters but richly created, interesting characters, Viral Nation is definitely a favorite book of mine from the past year.

Where it'd be all too easy to fall into the trap of writing gory but cliché/overdone, unnecessary and self-serving passages, this book manages to hint at the acts of violence and betrayal that are carried out in this society without really being offensive for no rea
Michelle
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got an advanced reader copy of this book and this is a reflective review -- I'd definitely read it again, it hasn't come out yet and I'm already looking forward to the next one! Shaunta changes the point of view from Clover to West and even their father, James, which is a very interesting and effective way to keep their father from seeming like an antagonist. I was engrossed from the first page to the last!
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
It seems like every YA book nowadays is about a post-apocalyptic dystopian society, so I am getting a little bit sick of the trend / ready for something new. However, this book kept me reading and is better written than a lot of YA books. I particularly liked Clover as a character. It's a good read for people who like the genre, but I probably won't continue with the series.

Received from NetGalley.
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
Hmm, this sounds pretty cool.

The description kind of bothers me, though, since it describes the main character as being "brilliant but autistic" as if being autistic is some horrible, shameful trait to have. Can't someone be brilliant and autistic? The way it was worded, it kind of makes it sound like the two can't go hand-in-hand. I'm sure it wasn't really intentional, but ... it still kind of rubs me the wrong way.
Terryann
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved this book. i was fascinated by the setting and characters. post apocalyptic (which appeals to the hunger games crowd) the world has shrunk to several walled in cities due to a viral wipe-out of humanity. everyone is on a serum which keeps them healthy, or does it? the female main character who is also on the spectrum lends a unique take on the end of the world genre. i am very much looking forward to the next book.
Lisa Dess
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for review from the author.
Who doesn't love dystopians? Especially ones that have a time traveling component? I know I love them and Viral Nation is just another book that reaffirms that love. The storyline and the characters are phenomenal. The bond that is present between Clover and West is very real and Clover's autistic tendencies were appropriately displayed. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.
Rayda
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received Viral Nation by Shaunta Grimes in a GoodReads giveaway contest.

I started this book at 10pm last night and finished it at 5am this morning. It is such a page-turner that I did not want to stop! I have never read a book that has autistic characters, and this book was so different and made me so aware. People don't think about heroes or heroines being anything but perfect. But human flaws made the story more relatable and more real. Can't wait until the next one!
Cheri Kelly
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is totally awesome. Me and my 14 year old son were early readers for this book. My son keeps asking me where the second book in the series is!! Can't wait to get a copy of this book. Maybe Shaunta, the author, will sign it for me. I just know she is going to do great things as an author. Keep up the great work Shaunta!!
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Viral Nation is a pretty freaking badass debut. It's as much a thriller as a dystopian-type novel and it's tinged with a bit of scifi as well. I'm definitely going to write a longer review for the blog soon.

(Update: I did write my review for the blog - http://cleareyesfullshelves.com/blog/... )

This cover! LOVE!
viral nation 3 13 Jan 14, 2015 03:36PM
  • Necessary Sacrifices
  • Backward Glass
  • Half Lives
  • Aberrant (Aberrant, #1)
  • Disconnect (Divided Worlds, #1)
  • Escapement (The Neumarian Chronicles, #1)
  • The Elites
  • Nomad
  • The Year of the Great Seventh
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • SYLO (The SYLO Chronicles, #1)
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Countdown
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • Liberty
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • Damselfly (Damselfly, #1)
  • Thin Space

Viral Nation (3 books)
  • Broken Nation (Viral Nation, #0.5)
  • Rebel Nation (Viral Nation, #2)
“Clover was on the verge of tears but fought hard to keep them back. Never let them see you cry. Any sign of weakness put them into a feeding frenzy.” 6 likes
“Running was Clover's favorite thing to do, after reading. She loved the way the cement felt hard and unforgiving under her feet until she reached the park and the dirt path that wound its way alongside the Truckee River.

She liked the wind in her face and how it smelled like water. And the way Mango ran beside her, keeping her company. But most of all she liked the way the steady pace untangled her thoughts.”
5 likes