Start by marking “The Man From Berlin (Gregor Reinhardt, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Man From Berlin (Gregor Reinhardt, #1)

The Man From Berlin

(Gregor Reinhardt #1)

Yugoslavia, a German officer has been shot and killed. Along with him a young, beautiful filmmaker and photographer—a veritable hero to her people—has been brutally murdered.

Assigned to the case is military intelligence officer Captain Gregor Reinhardt. Already haunted by his actions in war and the mistakes he’s made off the battlefield, he soon finds that his investigatio
Published July 2nd 2013 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Man From Berlin, please sign up.
The Reading Samurai
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Man From Berlin (Gregor Reinhardt, #1)
Paul
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Man From Berlin – Great Crime thriller

The Man from Berlin by Luke McCallin is an amazing crime thriller and even better as it is a first novel. There is a lot of huff n puff calling this a literary thriller, is that just to make the anal retentive literary types like the book too. This is a great thriller and better than any of the crap those literary types could ever produce.

Captain Gregor Reinhardt is in the Abwehr a former detective in the Berlin Police and decorated war veteran, before b
Steven Z.
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
If one could turn the clock back to the 1990s when men like Slobodan Milosovic and places like Srebrenica were in the news they would recall the horror that they felt. People could not fathom what the Serbs, Croats, and Muslims hoped to gain from all the violence, particularly since the origins of the conflict go back at least to the 4th century AD with the creation of the Byzantine Empire. The events of World War II are also part of the Balkan puzzle that we still grapple with today that are di ...more
Nat K
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ww2, 2017-books
”A good man, in the wrong place.”

Captain Gregor Reinhardt is a complex character. Having fought in WWI, with the belief that he was doing the right thing for his country, even winning medals for his bravery (including the Iron Cross), he now finds himself embroiled in events of WWII that are beyond his control, and have him questioning much of what he previously took for granted.

”He had to get moving, or face another evening that would end with him at the bottom of a bottle, or staring down the
Eric_W
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Reinhardt is an ex-Berlin detective, now in the Abwehr in Sarajevo caught up in the murder of a woman journalist and a fellow officer. He's in the middle between partisans, local cops, Croats, Serbes, Communists, the army, and a former colleague who hates him. He's been through WWI and now his son is on the eastern front.

It's an intriguing story with just the right amount of setting detail. Reminiscent of Phillip Kerr's Gunther, this book is not as good as Kerr's original trilogy, but better tha
Larry
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Captain Gregor Reinhardt was once a highly successful detective in the Berlin criminal police (KRIPO) until the Nazis took control of the police and he rejoined the army. He was also a decorated war veteran (WWI), and a holder of the Iron Cross. He is now a German intelligence officer (Abwehr) interrogating prisoners of war (not torturing them, which sets him apart from his colleagues) in the Balkans in early May 1943. When a leading woman Croat film-maker, German collaborator, Ustase (Croat fas ...more
S.J.A. Turney
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A while ago I saw two novels by Luke McCallin on a promotion and, in a fit of ‘why notness’ I bought them. The thing is, I may be solidly rooted in ancient history with most of my reading there, but every now and then I’m partial to a little World War 2 fiction. Michael Ridpath’s ‘Traitor’s Gate’ made it into my annual top 10. And I rather liked the look of a murder investigation in a WW2 setting.

First off, this is a novel with a fascinating and I might even hazard ‘unique’ viewpoint. Few works
Evelyn
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Amazon's search engine generated this one as a recommendation last November when I went in search of the pub date for the next book in Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series. Since I'll have to wait till at least late April for the next book about Kerr's WWII era Berlin detective, I figured this might be a pale imitation, though something I might enjoy.

And I did, in fact, enjoy it, but not for any of the reasons I thought I would. Gregor Reinhardt, the hero of this book, is only marginally like Gu
Jay Ray
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
No doubt McCallin is a very talented writer! The thing is, the book could have finished a hundred pages sooner. I personally, felt like there was so much he was trying to convey it resulted in a lack clarity in his story telling. Unfortunately, I lost interest about 3/4 the way through the book...just so much peripheral detail I had a hard time focusing on the "story!"
Bogdan
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this over the weekend. Very good crime/thriller stuff. The historic background is not so accurate like the author admitted it, but I could make an ideea about the intern struggle in the former Yugoslavian zone.

Not in the same humourus and ironic tone like Philip Kerr series, with more realistic characters, not blaming directly the Nazy, but still in the end going in another`s one boat.

The murder mystery wasn`t so complex or impressive, but it has been a fast and enjoying read.

A thing it`s
Alienor
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Man from Berlin. It is a 'whodunit', but I find that very often whodunits are excuses to immerse ourselves in other cultures - after all, few people can dig deeper than homicide cops, and I guess novels about psychotherapists would be a bit static.
So this novel does a fine job of taking us somewhere else; first of all, the place is Sarajevo, which I've never visited and which is a character in itself with its incredibly complex ethnic and religious mixes. The time is 1943. And more
Rob Kitchin
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Man from Berlin is a fairly lengthy, ambitious novel that charts the investigation into a double murder in Sarajevo in 1943 by a disaffected German officer and decorated First World War veteran, Captain Gregor Reinhardt. Reinhardt shares a similar history to Philip Kerr’s Bernie Gunther -- a successful homicide detective in Berlin’s Kripo who has little time for the Nazis and is forced out of the service in the wake of its takeover by the Gestapo. Reinhardt has a very different personality t ...more
Jack Tilghman
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. The plot and murder scene were all very well constructed, and the historical context is very accurate. Any enthusiast of World War II history will jump write into McCallin's version of 1943 Sarajevo. Unfortunately, I don't think the book was able to live up to my expectations after its promising start. I felt it dragged on a bit too long and the resolution was far from satisfying. McCallin is clearly a talented writer, but I felt the last 100-150 page ...more
Nancy
Too long, too convoluted, a protagonist too upright and too dull. Too bad, because the setup and setting had a lot of potential. Abandoned.
J Edward Tremlett
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Captain Gregor Reinhardt is not what you would call a contented man.

An officer in the Abwehr, he can barely remember a time when he felt good about himself. When he was a proper policeman, back in Germany. When he was happily married to a good woman, before she died. When his estranged son still looked up to him, before he joined her in death.

When he had a government he could occasionally look up to, before the Nazis ruined it.

Now, posted to one of the most ethnically, religiously, and political
Frédéric
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-2017, crime, ww2
Yugoslavia, 1943. Abwher (military intelligence) officer Gregor Reinhardt, a former police officer in Berlin, gets a case to solve: the murder of a german officer along a local female VIP- a member of the Ustachi.

For the depressive Reinhardt, a widower estranged with his son-currently MIA after Stalingrad, this murder is going to be the occasion to question himself as to where he stands with this war.

Within this on the whole classical frame-with false suspects and dramatic turns of events includ
Gail Barrington
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent noir novel about a reluctant member of the Abwehr, formerly a policeman in Berlin, hence the title, although the action takes place in Croatia where loyalties are divided and retaliation brutal. It was a thoughtful and complex novel and I'm happy to find out that McCallin has written a couple more.
Nooilforpacifists
Over-complicated, but might be acceptable as the launching pad for the series it started. Found the lead character flat; passive; uninteresting.
David Highton
A widowed ex-Berlin detective in German Military Intelligence based in Sarajevo is asked to investigate a double murder of a beautiful Croatian propaganda film maker and a fellow German officer. He has to tread a careful line between the Sarajevo police and other elements of the German forces. A clever and complex plot and a well drawn lead character - a bit slow moving for me to give 4 stars though.
Keith Currie
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the person who sent me a review copy of this book – I enjoyed it immensely!
Captain Gregor Reinhardt is a former Berlin detective now an interrogator for the Abwehr in Sarajevo under German occupation in 1943. As a decorated WW1 veteran he is patriotic to his nation but extremely conflicted about Nazi behaviour in occupied countries. He is given an opportunity for redemption when asked to investigate the murders of another German officer and a beautiful Croatian film maker. His dogge
David Lowther
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The early pages of The Man fromd World Berlin were fairly standard fare but once it got going this was a cracker of a thriller. The hero Gregor Reindhart is, like Bernie Gunther in the Philip Kerr novels, an ex cop from the Kripo in Berlin's Alexaderplatz. There the resemblance ends because where Gunther conceals his hatred of the Nazis with a worldly cynicism, Reindhart does it by a dogged determination to do his job despite interference from superior officers.

The Man from Berlin is set in Sara
Matt Brady
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii, crime, read-in-2015
A murder mystery elevated beyond the usual by the setting and characters. Gregor Reinhardt is that semi-common and probably problematic trope of the "Good Nazi". Of course he isn't actually a Nazi at all, and despises the party that drove him to quit the Berlin police force in disgust, but it's a handy descriptor for the character archetype. He's a former cop and a veteran of the First World War now trying to ride out the second largely by keeping his head down, drinking too much, and contemplat ...more
Robert Ronsson
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been looking for the series to fill the Bernie Gunther shaped void in my reading life and this fits it so well it's suspicious. Bernie and Gregor Reinhardt would have been Kripo colleagues in Berlin before the war. Both refused to join the party but found they had to join the army to stay alive (if not sane). Both do the best they can to be good men when they are surrounded by evil.
Luke McCallin's research (in this book mainly into the pre-war history of the former Yugoslavia) is every bit
Colin Mitchell
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Enjoyed this novel. Crime but in a second world war setting and from a German perspective. Captain Reinhart, hounded by the Nazis from his work as a policeman he finds himself, a first war veteran, in military intelligence. When the body of a female journalist is found and that of a young lieutenant, his former talents are called into action.

The book is set in Sarajevo at the time of Operation Swartz, a push against the communist inspired Partisans, Reinhart finds himself caught between various
P V Sanders
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb novel. Very different setting to most and that made it even more enthralling. Action and intrigue concerning a wealth if Subject and undercurrents. Very readable - I look forward to reading more. Highly recommended.
Suzanne Robertson Moutis
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: number-1s
So, there's a lot to unpack in this novel, but it's totally worth it. At its heart a murder mystery, Luke McCallin's book, the first in a series, is cloaked in a World War II plot that involves a dead propaganda filmmaker in Sarajevo and the German soldier, formerly a policeman (and the titular man from Berlin), who is assigned to solve the case. I found learning (a little) about the history and politics of the Bosnia-Herzevogina region really interesting. Totally complicated, but really interes ...more
Roger
I struggled with this for essentially two reasons. The plotting was deliberately more convoluted and complex than necessary, and at times just got silly.... suddenly a very deep secret is being told to anyone in earshot.... also it’s another one of these stories where the protagonist has superpowers of recovery, no matter how often they are hit, how badly injured they get they just get up and keep going - whilst another character, built up to be far more powerful and far fitter, crumples suddenl ...more
Lysergius
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A finely structured and extremely gripping murder investigation set in Yugoslavia during WWII. Throughout the twists and turns of the plot the reader has no idea how the tale will end, or who actually committed the murder. A true masterpiece, and the historical background adds immensely to the energy of the action.

More of the same please.
CuteBadger
Military Intelligence officer and former policeman Captain Gregor Reinhardt is ordered to investigate the murder of a young female Yugoslav film-maker and a German officer. As the crime has taken place in Sarajevo in 1943 he has more to worry about than just his investigation as political and national factions, and the progress of the war, mean that making any progress towards finding the killer is like navigating a complicated and dangerous maze.

There’s quite a lot of reference material in thi
Geoff. Lamb
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absorbing story about murder and treachery set in Sarajevo during WWII.
Ann Tonks
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I'm not that interested in war stories with endless nuance about hierarchy and not-so-nuanced violence but I was completed absorbed by this murder story set in Bosnia during World War Two. The descriptions of Sarajevo in 1943 are engaging; the politics of the German and Croatia armed forces are fascinating; the lead character Captain Gregor Reinhardt is created with detail and insight. Of course, there's still lots of hierarchy and violence but the writing and the story telling were go ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Murderer in Ruins (Inspector Frank Stave, #1)
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Metropolis (Bernie Gunther, #14)
  • The Wolf Children (Inspector Stave Book 2)
  • Field Gray (Bernard Gunther, #7)
  • Prussian Blue (Bernie Gunther, #12)
  • The Other Side of Silence (Bernie Gunther, #11)
  • The Berlin Spies
  • Prague Fatale (Bernard Gunther, #8)
  • The Lady from Zagreb (Bernard Gunther, #10)
  • Vienna Spies
  • The Swiss Spy
  • Greeks Bearing Gifts (Bernie Gunther, #13)
  • A Man Without Breath (Bernie Gunther #9)
  • The Pale Criminal (Bernie Gunther, #2)
  • Sea of Spies (The Richard Prince Thrillers Book 2)
  • If The Dead Rise Not (Bernard Gunther, #6)
  • The Best of Our Spies
Luke McCallin was born in Oxford, grew up around the world and has worked with the United Nations as a humanitarian relief worker and peacekeeper in the Caucasus, the Sahel, and the Balkans. His experiences have driven his writing, in which he explores what happens to normal people--those stricken by conflict, by disaster--when they are put under abnormal pressures.

Gregor Reinhardt (3 books)
  • The Pale House (Gregor Reinhardt, #2)
  • The Ashes of Berlin