Start by marking “Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way” as Want to Read:
Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way

Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way

There’s never been a better time to be woman. We live in an era when girls are told they can do anything. So why aren’t we seeing more women rising to the top ranks of corporations and the government? Why don’t our girls have more women in leadership roles to look up to?

Women Who Don’t Wait in Line is an urgent wake-up call from politico and activist Reshma Saujani. The f
Published October 8th 2013 by New Harvest (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Women Who Don't Wait in Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Who Don't Wait in Line

Rama
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A passionate call to women of next generation

This is a brilliantly written book by an activist who calls for women to enlist in redefining themselves, and in remaking America. Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan brought women to the point of equality and it is up to the women of 21 century to walk past the door to make a difference in their own lives and for others. The author believes that women are not walking fast enough to make changes. They have to change inequities they face and must change t
Erin Kross
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Someday, I would love to read a book about being a woman in business that didn’t require I also read about being a mother.
Kara
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
This book was a major disappointment. I have admired Saujani for her initiative to move the needle on getting more girls into STEM and love her Girls Who Code program, but I was expecting something more from this book. The book is broken up into 7 chapters that each cover a different topic or area, but it doesn't delve into the details of either the statistics or Saujani's journey - in short it is like reading a few brief blog posts. The statistics and information included in the book about work ...more
James
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you have a girl old enough to handle adult reading, this is a great gift. It weighs the opportunities and challenges facing women, though in between also offer a lot of sage advice for just about anyone.

Saujani can reflect on her place as a woman, as the child of immigrants and as a political activist, giving some unique views around what is required to bring women to the same social level as men.

Sadly this might deter readers hung up on political partisanship and difference about social va
Skylar
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The book did a good job of firing me up to push myself beyond the limits society and other women impose. Is "paying your dues" a good thing? Or is that the kind of new perspective we need? I first heard of Reshma in the latest NY elections, and my husband and I voted for her in the primaries because she sounded great. I was really excited to see this book in the Goodreads giveaways, and I was very thankful to win a copy!

It wasn't earth-shattering, but I'm glad I read it. It was a really short re
Barbara C
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Good but a bit repetitive.

I enjoyed the book as the writing style was good and engaging, and the content was interesting even if i did know a lot about the topic prior. My only gripe was that it was pretty repetitive. I would recommend this book regardless!
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I've read several books like this, which means I've heard her arguments before. This is a quick, easy read, which makes it accessible but shallow.
Candi
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've watched the author's TED talk about how we should teach our girls about bravery, not perfection. I've learned about the non-profit organization to help teach girls how to code. This is near and dear to my heart. I started as a high school student just playing around with code. I never thought it would be my career.

I found this book fairly inspirational. Sometimes, I do feel like I always need to be polite and proper because I'm a woman. But I've learned that I can't wait for someone to hand
Lynda
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is not a bad book and you can easily finish it in one day, but it could have used tighter editing as many of the other reviewers mentioned. I did not know anything about the author beforehand. I came across this book after reading about an ex-colleague's citation of Reshma's story of bouncing back from failure. Women do have a tough time because of all the stereotypes still very much entrenched in American society. As a middle-aged woman who is trying to figure out what to do with the rest ...more
Poorna
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title fascinated me to pick up this book from the local library. I started to read this book on 4-Mar with an intention to make it to first 35 pages. Reshma’s narration and emphasizes on women empowerment kept me on toe until I turned the last pages of acknowledgements. I liked the writing style and the depth of content covered in this little book. The leads on how to contribute in improving our future are engaging and thoughtful. I would highly recommend this book to women and men who aspir ...more
Melissa Josef
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love what this woman has to say to young women... She is a terrific role model who will inspire young adults to go out and be the women they can and should be. There are reasons why we still don't have gender equity in so many fields and why the pay scale across the boards is not equal despite women having a higher education rate. Research needs to begin digging into the why's and society needs to put real support behind turning the tide. Saujani's message and efforts with programs like Girls Wh ...more
RobiNevers
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reshma's inspiring story was woven into a quick and easy read with examples of ways we can all make changes and do things that will help us achieve our dreams and aspirations. It also addresses how women can help other women or influence others to support women in achieving their dreams. It's very action oriented. A good read for sure.
Andrea
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of practical advice for women getting ahead in their lives. What they and their partners and friends can do to get more women into leadership positions in a variety of fields, but especially STEM related fields.
Shreya Singh
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I identified with Reshma's life experiences, especially as a young South Asian woman. However, I wish her writing approach was more personal/insightful rather than statistics/research paper oriented. I admire all of her accomplishments and look forward to tracking her future successes.
Tan Gopal
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author creates as easy read about her own leadership journey. Many of us will find we have faced similar challenges. Her positive tone makes the book enjoyable.
Ana Krallen
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, lots of quotations from inspiring women and lots of good advice.
Renee
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great read for all women, but one especially important for young women. If you have a teen in your life or a woman just beginning her career, place this book in her hands.
Vidya Ananthanarayanan
I am not the target audience for this book, and there was some redundancy that could have made for a better read with tighter editing. Many of the lessons of risk, resilience, and mentorship that she describes I have already experienced and incorporated into my own life.

That said, this a great book for up and coming young women, and serves as a good reminder for those of us who may be caught in a rut. At the very least, it is a call to action for sisterhood and activism. To repurpose a popular
Ana
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reshma is an inspiration to all young women with enormous professional aspirations. She illustrates through her story that with persistence and tenacity, you can also accomplish your goals. I am reading this book at a very low point of my life and I am very grateful for her encouragement, even though it's through a book. Her personal story deeply resonates with me and all the stories about successful women in this book greatly empowers me to dream big and boldly go out into the world and fight f ...more
Monique
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted to read Reshma Saujani’s story. She is a young woman with an activist mentality working to change the world. Saujani promotes a new model of leadership focused on sponsorship that encourages women to strive above the glass ceiling, to take risks and learn from failures. I love this idea and work every day to teach that to the students I meet in my classroom. However, this book failed in articulating how to accomplish this task. I wanted so much more. The meat of the book is featured in ...more
Briana Ford
Not every book can be Lean In, but this book is a contender in its own right. Reshma Saujani gives us a look into her experiences when it comes to her career, and how other women can do the same. She touches on the usual suspects/topics: work/life balance, working moms, pay equality, gaps in the STEM field, etc. She wasn't trying to be pretentious or copy anyone else's work. She referenced two of my favorite "women rule" books (Lean In & Knowing Your Value), and had other insight to bring to ...more
Jen
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book (I received as Goodreads First Read). It was not what I initially expected; I was hooked before I finished the prologue. Hearing Saujani's personal experience with education and her congressional run was inspiring. There's a lot if name dropping, in a good way - successful, powerful women are mentioned anecdotally to prove the kind of actions women should start taking in order to get "higher" and achieve their goals. It is a short book, but has a good message (which is ...more
Amy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: politics, memoir
In 2010, Reshma Saujani challenged Democratic Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney in a primary. Even though she lost, she calls it the most successful campaign ever lost. She took a risk, didn’t wait in line until it was her turn, and is now encouraging other women to do the same in Women Who Don’t Wait in Line.

I like her boldness, her confidence, and her willingness to take risks and fail. It's a quick read and it's given me some good ideas. First on the to-do list: learn to code.
Rhonda Nelson
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who runs the world? Girls. No, seriously, this is a great book for women leaders to read. A book about empowerment, courage, and persistence. How to strike a balance between "acting like a lady" and being a "strong and confident businessperson." Woman are often held to different standards than men and are still lagging behind regarding equal pay, job promotions, and other business success barometers. Keep striving.
Annie
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Reshma Saujani certainly feels passionate about women succeeding in the professional world. She offers plenty of personal stories as well as citations get her points across. This book would be good for any woman wanting to further her career. I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Lori
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first part of the book and respect her courage and message. I agree that women need to push and strive for leadership roles. I did not like and strongly disagreed with the end where she spouted off tired feminist notions and regulatory government solutions. Overall, a thought provoking read.
Melyssa
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I saw Reshma Saujani on ABC's This Week as part of a round table of women leaders. She impressed me and I wanted to know more about her story. She has an inspiring message. I think the book is most appropriate for young women in college but everyone can gain some insight from it.
Andrea
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
In essence, I agree with what she was saying. This book is perhaps a distant relation to "Lean In". However, it wasn't very well organized, and the writing style didn't agree with my sensibilities. So I put it down.
Kalli Taub
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By far the best book to empower and shake up the glass ceiling mentality. If every woman could find the courage to implement Reshma's ideas: the business sector would be equalized. I commend her, and feel proud that Girls Who Code will be in my school district! #imwithher #winlikeaman
Maria
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reshma Saujani is of a new generation of women, struggling with age-old gender issues but with confidence and energy that is modern. A very easy and quick read, Reshma had me inspired. I have flagged passages to share with female co-workers!
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • Letters to a Young Feminist
  • I'd Rather Be in Charge: A Legendary Business Leader's Roadmap for Achieving Pride, Power, and Joy at Work
  • Jump Ship: Ditch Your Dead-End Job and Turn Your Passion into a Profession
  • Stiletto Network: Inside the Women's Power Circles That Are Changing the Face of Business
  • Backwards in High Heels: The Impossible Art of Being Female
  • Exterminate All the Brutes; and Desert Divers
  • Final Accounting: Ambition, Greed and the Fall of Arthur Andersen
  • The Rose and the Briar: Death, Love, and Liberty in the American Ballad
  • Happiness at Work: Be Resilient, Motivated, and Successful - No Matter What
Reshma Saujani is the Founder and CEO of Girls Who Code, a national non-profit organization working to close the gender gap in technology and change the image of what a programmer looks like and does. With their 7-week Summer Immersion Program, 2-week specialized Campus Program, after school Clubs, and a 13-book New York Times best-selling series, they are leading the movement to inspire, educate, ...more