Start by marking “Tuesday” as Want to Read:
Tuesday

Tuesday

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  23,453 ratings  ·  2,005 reviews
The unpredictable events of a particular Tuesday unroll before the reader with the precision and clarity of a silent movie. A Caldecott Medal book.
Published April 22nd 1991 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Tuesday, please sign up.
Christine Pregler This book would be available at any local library. Houghton Mifflin has a page on their site dedicated to this book you may find of interest: …moreThis book would be available at any local library. Houghton Mifflin has a page on their site dedicated to this book you may find of interest: http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/a...# (less)

·  23,453 ratings  ·  2,005 reviews

Mischenko
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To see this week's Wordless Picture Books, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com by clicking HERE

David Wiesner is a favorite as you know from some of my previous reviews. He never ceases to amaze me and this book is such a beautiful and magical addition to our collection.

The story begins in the early evening on a Tuesday and all is quiet at the pond. All of a sudden, the frogs begin to levitate on their lily pads and travel into a nearby town. They visit a woman watching TV, a man having a sn
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Such a delightfully enchanting picture book! We read a LOT of picture books when my kids were younger, but this one about frogs magically flying around town on their lily pads one fateful night was a favorite. I'm pretty certain we checked it out of the library multiple times.

description

description

Flying frogs FTW! All the stars!!
David Schaafsma
Since I was reading David Wiesner and the Art of Wordless Storytelling I read or reread some of his picture books, at least three of which have been awarded Caldecott medals. This is my favorite one, and the one that demonstrates--and sweetly, humorously--his interest in surrealism, as it involves suddenly flying frogs, still on their lily pads. On Tuesday, duh! Around eight.

And then we are inside a house where a guy is having his late night snack and as Grandma has nodded off at her tv show at
Hilary
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. I really enjoyed Flotsam by this author. The story shows a Tuesday night when happenings outside don't pass as you would expect. The story was inventive and unusual but not one for me.
Calista
This delighted and amazed me. The first frames brought bubbles of joy flooding my system. What a joy and delight this was to read. Do you read a wordless picture book, or do you experience it? I didn't know a thing about this. I really didn't know that flying frogs could bring so much joy to me.

I love this man's imagination. How does he take something so simple and ground it enough in reality that I was totally there with him. This book is magical.

The kids loved it. The nephew and I were having
Ronyell
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 3 and up
“Tuesday” is a Caldecott Award winning book from the creative mind of David Wiesner and is about how some seemingly ordinary frogs from a pond go on a magical adventure throughout the city. David Wiesner’s story of a magic along with his beautiful illustrations makes “Tuesday” a mesmerizing book for children.

David Wiesner has done it again with creating a wordless book that tells its story through his illustrations. David Wiesner’s story is interesting as the only words that he uses in this boo
Phoebe Ledster
Wiesner explores just how powerful storytelling can be without using any words at all. This unique and eccentric story allows for perfect opportunities for prediction and speculation during discussion. The illustrations themselves are extremely entertaining and could fit tremendously well into a classroom environment either to explore as a class or individually. I believe this is a fantastic book to just have around the classroom allowing children to become familiar and engaged with wordless pic ...more
Laima
There are no words in this picture book; only gorgeous whimsical illustrations of ... flying frogs!!
It is no wonder that this book is a Caldecott Medal winner. This is another outstanding children's book by the incredibly talented David Wiesner. I want to read all of his work!!
Manybooks
Fun, mysterious, and with lovely expressively gorgeous illustrations presenting a lush greenish/blue colour scheme that is just to die for (and more than well deserving of its Caldecott Medal award), David Wiesner's Tuesday actually has made me laugh out loud more than a few times (I just LOVE the scene with the white laundry sheets and that the rambunctious dog so bent on chasing the poor flying frogs so completely has the tables tuned on it). And although my logical, analytical self would perh ...more
Lisa Vegan
I guess I’m pretty much alone here: The artwork, as usual, is wonderful, but I found this story slightly creepy. Am I missing something special that I simply didn’t get? I wonder.

I adored Flotsam and I really enjoyed Free Fall, but this one didn’t wow me. However, I’ll happily read all his current and any future books because I do think he’s really talented and I predict that I’ll enjoy most of his books.
Kathryn
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great deal of fun and so creative! I loved the humor and the adventures the frogs got into. The expressions (on frogs and people) are so spot-on and made me giggle. A very fun adventure. Wish there was a sequel giving us the adventure hinted at on the last page! :-)
Agnė
Another brilliant, gorgeous, hilarious wordless picturebook from David Wiesner with a perfect blurb on the front flap of the cover:
"The events
are reminded
that there is always
another
TUESDAY."

And I love the author's self-reference :)
GoldGato
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wordless illustrative books are always wonderful especially if they get it right. Tell a story without text. This one certainly does.

It's a Tuesday evening in a small town, around 8 PM. Something is definitely happening.

n33HSA.jpg

Tuesdays aren't supposed to be like this. Tuesday is a nice, respectable day of the week. Chaos should not envelop such a day's night.

i1vt9z.jpg

Will this happen every Tuesday evening?

LjtAYq.jpg

Lovely artwork and lovely idea. I certainly enjoyed it and can only imagine what a child looking at it
Daniel
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Tuesday
Author: David Wiesner
Publisher: Clarion Books, 32 pp, 1991
Format: Picture Book (wordless story)
Intended Audience: Children, ages 4 to 8
Description:
Tuesday is a wordless picture book that vividly depicts strange events that happened at various times of the day on Tuesday.
Personal Review:
For a picture book that has relatively few or no words at all, the illustrations are the only thing that drives the story. Tuesday has illustrations that are lively and vivid. With nothing really
Lara's
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and children 4yrs and up.
Shelves: picture-books
Synopsis : The events recorded here are verified by an undisclosed source to have happened somewhere, U.S.A.. on Tuesday. All those in doubt are reminded that there is always another Tuesday.
Review : This is a book that truly illustrates how a pictures can be worth a thousand words. The beauty of these illustrations, paired with the fun and humor of frogs flying through the night on magical lily pads is just a gift from Mr. Weisner that everyone who is lucky enough to pick up this book will un
Dolly
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book has fantastic illustrations, but an odd "story". My kids liked it a lot and I liked the surrealism. We will certainly look for more books by this author.

This book was selected as one of the books for the July 2016- Quarterly Caldecott discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
If your'e curious to know what this wordless picture book is about, just think, "flying frogs on lilly pads and loving their night out away from the pond."
Sarah Sammis
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading David Wiesner's books the one title universally recommended was Tuesday. I have finally taken that advice to heart and read the book.

David Wiesner specializes in wordless picture books. In this one, the only word used (and it's used sparingly) is Tuesday as a reminder that all the events are taking place on a Tuesday night.

Those events involve frogs flying through the town and countryside on lily pads. The illustrations are Wiesner's usual wonderful surrealism. The pallet
Kathryn
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-boys
We read this sometime last year and enjoyed it but did not fall in love with it. Really, we had sort of forgotten about it, which turned out to be quite wonderful, as I would probably not have picked up Flotsam otherwise. Tuesday is odd, certainly a compliment, but my kids did not warm to it as much as I had hoped for a wordless picture book full of original and interesting pictures.
Qt
Strange and surreal, with a little humor and a bit of eerieness as well--quite intriguing!
Nicole
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
What did I just read/look at? Flying frogs on lily pads and flying pigs. Illustrator was a genius.
Athena
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
A very peculiar book. What attracted me to this book was the cover; it's beautiful, one of the best I've seen, but the story was a bit strange. I prefer more words I guess.
Alice Blackwell-Sisk
This books shows how amazing Wordless books can be. This would be a lovely book to use for discussion in a classroom, story telling in literacy or in art for an example.

Wiesner depicts the power of illustrations and the effect they can give, his interesting drawings really get the brain going.
Maaryah
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Enjoyed reading this book, it was incredibly fun to read! No words, just wacky vivid visuals. Really allows children to use their own imagination to create their own narrative.
Josh
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tuesday by David Wiesner takes place on (you guessed it) a Tuesday; to be more exact, on a Tuesday evening around eight. At around that time, an unknown force rises all the frogs on lily pads, from a swamp, into the air and takes them around a nearby town for a joy ride. Their adventure, through the town’s suburban neighborhoods, lasts all Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning.
The first thing that caught my eyes were the very detailed illustrations in the book. No illustration left a lack lu
Katie Carson
One of my favorite parts about this book is the interaction between the frogs and the other animals. A few pages in, we see the contrast of the birds sitting stationary on the telephone wires, while the frogs fly about on their lilypads. At the far right of the page, we see a frog excitedly chasing a bird, who looks very frightened by the frog clapping his hands behind him.
At the old lady's house, we can see a white cat timidly peering our from behind a door and the frogs who have taken over th
L12_luisespinoza Espinoza
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This Caldecott Medal winning book by David Wiesner is yet another example of his creative, beautifully illustrated picture books. This book has managed to tell a story without words through highly imaginative illustrations.

Every Tuesday evening around eight o'clock, something magical happens. This Tuesday evening, frogs from a pond start to fly on their lily pads throughout the city. The illustrations show the frogs flying over houses, into houses (where they play around with a TV remote control
Krista
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literacy-class
One of the best books I have ever read! Oh wait, did I say read? One of the best books I ever did CREATE a story for! Yup, you heard me correctly, the READER gets to create the story! The author David Wiesner creates story boards of beautiful illustrations in which the reader gets to decide the story through a wordless book. These story boards are magical, literally. In the book Tuesday, frogs are on a late night adventure with their flying lily pads. They soar through neighborhoods having wonde ...more
Heidi-Marie
I loved this one! Absolutely fantastic. I would have been laughing a lot more (and a lot louder) if I hadn't been on the desk at work. This is a great one for imaginations. Hardly any text, which would make it enjoyable for those who haven't yet begun to read. There is plenty in the pictures to keep anyone of any age entertained. And I could just imagine my sister reading this one--with all of her inclusions of sound effects and non-existing thought bubbles. Definitely one I want to add to my pe ...more
Johanna Perez
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Tuesday by David Wiesner to be a unique book. The illustrations are extremely fascinating. Fogs floating on lily pads and pigs flying are enough to get one's attention. But what pulled me in was the color choice for the illustration. The cool greens and blues and purple tones gave the books a sense of magic, enough to get anyone’s creativity running, and then there was the true to life images. A man sitting at a kitchen table and police investigating, these scenes with realistic colors, ...more

• Time Flies
  • One Fine Day
  • A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog
  • Golem
  • Kitten's First Full Moon
During David Wiesner's formative years, the last images he saw before closing his eyes at night were the books, rockets, elephant heads, clocks, and magnifying glasses that decorated the wallpaper of his room. Perhaps it was this decor which awakened his creativity and gave it the dreamlike, imaginative quality so often found in his work.

As a child growing up in suburban New Jersey, Wiesner re-cre