Start by marking “The Woman of the House” as Want to Read:
The Woman of the House

The Woman of the House

(Mossgrove #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The Phelans have owned Mossgrove for generations. But when it is put up for sale, the lengths to which Irish people will go to keep their land become clear. An enchanting novel by Ireland's favourite writer.
Paperback
Published December 1st 1997 by Brandon/Mount Eagle

To ask other readers questions about The Woman of the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman of the House

Eh?Eh!
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I tend to romanticize certain things citydwellers are ignorant about, like milking cows and village life. But Alice Taylor describes how tough farm work can be and how petty village life can be while still giving it all a wistful and comforting sense. This author was recommended to me by someone in a position to confirm that she really does write with accuracy about her subjects. This novel centers around a family that undergoes some tragedies, with highlighting of the importance of the role of ...more
İnci Puyan
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

Ve ve ve... bu ilgi çekici, sevimli kapaklı kitabı... Evin Hanımı'nı okudum ve cidden çok sevdim :)

Gerçekten güzel bir kitaptı, film izler gibi akıp gitti...
Okuru sıkmayacak, kolay okunan, dili akıcı ve konusu ilgi çekici bir kitaptı. Ki yazarın dili kadar çevirmenin de bunda katkısı olduğunu düşünüyorum, kusursuz bir çeviri sunmuş bize çevirmen.

Hatırlar mısınız bilmem ama okurken bana hep küçükken severek izlediğim "Küçük Ev" dizisini hatırlattı
Leslie
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland
If you see pictures in your mind when you read, like a movie playing somehow just for you, and you rather like sweeping expanses of good green earth and farmland being worked with the hands of generations of good mens' hands, their faithful, ever present dogs at their sides, this book will be your pleasure to read. You will almost hear the cows softly calling and smell the aromas of the farmer's wife's cooking the likes of which maybe none of us will ever eat again, so lost are these arts. Arts ...more
B A
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çeviri fena değildi ama imla hataları, kapağın kitap içeriğiyle alakasız olması vs. yayınevinin yeterli özeni göstermediği fikrini oluşturdu bende.

Anlatılan yumuşak, sıradan bir öyküydü. Bir ev, bir okul ve bir de Kitty'nin öyküsü anlatılıyordu. Bu üç kolun bir yerde kesişmesini bekledim ama öyle olmadı. Zaten her şey çok kolay çözümlendi. Böyle olunca da bence kurgu çok basit kaldı. Yazarın doğa sevgisi, çiftlik hayatını anlatışı güzeldi. Karakterlerin bazıları anlamsızca ''kötü'' bazıları da '
Clearview Library District
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was looking for another book at work when this caught my eye and I'm not sure why. It's older but why I like working in a library. Little gems tucked in everywhere. I like reading about Ireland and this looked like a good story. Turns out it was. She has a follow up called "Across the River" that I am reading next. It is about a simpler way of life and time, and I was transported to this lovely pastoral setting. I like the way she writes and loved the characters. Even the nasty Martha. This re ...more
Barbra
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This Irish author has opened up a new line of books for me. I will definately be reading more by her - a lovely book.

Back Cover Blurb:
It is a story of love for the land, love for the Irish countryside and village life of over 40 years ago. This love is handed down from generation to generation but that love can cause jealousy between neighbours, which can turn to violence. The family - the Phelans. The house - Mossgrove.
Lynda
Tale of a rural Irish family caught between its love of the old ways and the encroachments of contemporary life.

The Phelans have occupied the same home in the village of Kilmeen for generations, tending their land, surviving a feud with unscrupulous neighbors, forming part of the social backbone of their community. But as the farm is handed on to the younger generation in the early 1950s, their longtime home is threatened from within.

The first of three novels.
Chris Porter
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a fine story, but I wish the author would get her Irish on. This story could have taken place on a family farm anywhere. One of the reasons I enjoy Maeve Binchey and Patrick Taylor so much is that you can feel the Irish coming off the page; they are better story weavers as well. With that said, I still enjoyed the book and would read this author again.
Chris Fields
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A view of family

Alice Taylor is a favorite, and Woman of the House is a gem. She weaves characters, relationships and culture so I felt I had been a local resident, and heard all the stories of Kilmeen.
Angela Joyce
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction
This wasn't all bad, but I am heartily sick of reading about these things in Irish novels: urine, alcoholism, and incest. It's starting to make me laugh, and not in a good way. I know there's more to this country than these things. But do the Irish fiction writers know?
Linda
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great story. First book I've read by this author, and she is good. Takes place in mid-century Ireland, and is about family and land ownership. Story and characters were great. Highly recommend this one!
Jeanette
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Novel takes place in rural Ireland
Gargoyle
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
çok guzel bir aile hikayesi.
Shani Cameron
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
A bit of a slow read and not a lot happened.
Sally
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book very much, though sometimes the in depth descriptions overshadowed the story line.
Tami Drohan
Feb 18, 2016
Angela
Mar 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alice Taylor lives in the village of Innishannon in County Cork, in a house attached to the local supermarket and post office. Since her eldest son has taken over responsibility for the shop, she has been able to devote more time to her writing.

Alice Taylor worked as a telephonist in Killarney and Bandon. When she married, she moved to Innishannon where she ran a guesthouse at first, then the supe

Mossgrove (3 books)