Start by marking “The Apple Pie That Papa Baked” as Want to Read:
The Apple Pie That Papa Baked

The Apple Pie That Papa Baked

These are the apples, juicy and red,
that went in the pie,
warm and sweet,
that Papa baked...
for guess who!
Published July 24th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Apple Pie That Papa Baked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apple Pie That Papa Baked

Peter
May 09, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
When I was in first grade, (forty years ago!), I would borrow a Virginia Lee Burton book, Life Story, from my school library so often that the librarian gave me the book at the end of the school year. I still have that book.

So when my son and I were at our local library recently, this book immediately caught my eye. I at first thought it was a Virginia Lee Burton book that I had not heard of. Reading the blurb about the illustrator Jonathan Bean, I was not surprised to find that he was influenc
Julia
Jul 28, 2007 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, 2007
Wow! I got so excited when I saw this - it's like nothing else I've seen this year. As noted by the illustrator, Jonathan Bean, the style is influenced by Wanda G'ag, and Virginia Lee Burton. Yet it's so refreshing and original. Lovely design. And it's so exciting to see a book with classic three color illustrations. (Which feels like a bold move in the current picture book landscape full of Pinkaliciouses and Walter the Farting Dogses.) Maybe it's just the G'ag and Burton presence in my own chi ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
In Cosmos, Carl Sagan said, "If you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." This picture book is an embodiment of Sagan's sentiment. Beginning with the smallest element of the apple, and continuing to the tree, the tree's roots, the clouds, the rain, the sun, and eventually to the whole world blooming with life, this poetic retelling of "The House That Jack Built" grants the very young reader with a sense of the interdependence and interconnectedness of life. ...more
Betsy
Aug 11, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Told in a cumulative format, a small girl discusses the various steps taken by her father to produce a pie. The first line is "This is the pie, warm and sweet, that Papa baked." The second line, "These are the apples, juicy and red, that went in the pie, warm and sweet, that Papa baked." And so on. As the story encompasses the tree that grew the apples, the roots the fed the tree, the rain that watered the roots, etc. we watch father and daughter pick the apples, make the pie, and attract the at ...more
Treasa
Jan 19, 2010 Treasa rated it really liked it
Written in the style of the Mother Goose rhyme "The House that Jack Built," this book shows the reader everything that goes into the wonderful apple pie that papa bakes. Sun, rain, apples... it's all important. But who will eat this wonderful apple pie that papa bakes?

Texts that build up like this one always appeal to me (and seem to appeal to children, too), and this one is done very well. I especially like the end when an important lesson is learned by all.

I love the old-fashioned illustration
Kathryn
Follows along the lines of "The House that Jack Built" but instead we have a pioneer/farm girl explaining about the apple pie that her papa baked. While I'm not a big one for this sort of cumulative storytelling these days, I did love it as a kid! And Thompson chooses her words very well, creating a lovely and lyrical text. There's good insight here into how the processes of nature contribute to growing the food we eat. The illustrations have a charming, vintage feel although at times I wasn't a ...more
Mary Beth
Oct 18, 2008 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rabbit-and-bear
Vintage-looking pictures and a sweet story line that is fun to read out-loud. Rabbit asks for this book by name(well, he says "Pie!")
Debbie
May 20, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it
loved the illustrations. 3.5 stars for me. would have loved a recipe on the last page
Jaelynn Horton
Jan 12, 2017 Jaelynn Horton rated it really liked it
Picture Book. This book is a lot like The Napping House, in that it's got great repetition. I would use this book to teach about adjectives- every noun that the author uses has 2 awesome adjectives to describe it. The illustrations are touching as well- and sometimes 2 whole pages are nothing but pictures. It's a MUST have for my future library!
Melissa
Oct 18, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Beautiful, sweet book, perfect for Autumn - love it!
Elijah Libert
Oct 10, 2016 Elijah Libert rated it it was amazing
This book reminds me of The House That Jack Build because of the way it goes over and over and tells you it again and again.
Amy Forrester
May 21, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
This tale uses a cumulative narrative to tell the reader about the apple pie that Papa baked for his young daughter. First, we are presented with the pie, warm and sweet, and then the apples that went in the pie, and then the tree that grew the apples that went in the pie that Papa baked. The girl and her father harvest the apples, peel and core them, and finally share the pie with their animal friends on the farm. By the end of the book, the girl has explained how the sky, sun, clouds, and rain ...more
Becky
Mar 21, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Apple Pie. While reading a book about apple pie isn't nearly as delicious as actually eating a slice of apple pie, it is a treat all the same. A treat meant to be enjoyed, shared, and repeated often. The text by Lauren Thompson is simple and repetitive. The text builds upon itself, repeating line after line, and soon children will be able to join in 'reading' this book.

This is the pie, warm and sweet, that Papa baked.
These are the apples, juicy and red, that went in the pie, warm and sweet, that
Matthew
May 17, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is a book that follows the House That Jack Built formula perfectly and it's really well done. I would definitely use this in a language arts lesson as a sample scaffold. Also, it's a Jonathan Bean book, and I love anything he is a part of. He had two books up for children's book awards in Pennsylvania this year (Building Our House and Big Snow) and my kids loved them both. It said in the back of this one that this is his first book, so that's kind of cool.
Cara
Great book to show children in a fun way what it takes for a simple thing like making a pie and all that goes into it. Not necessarily the pie making itself: rolling out dough, butter, etc, but needing the apples, picking the apples, etc.
In order to have apples for apple pie, you have to have an apple tree. Pick the apples from the tree that has to be established enough to even produce apples. To produce apples it has to have enough sun and rain.
All the things are essential to having an apple.
I
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Dec 15, 2007 Roxanne Hsu Feldman rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, prek-k
The text is deftly done -- although the cumulative rhyme format has been done by many so there is little surprise here. The pages that tie the World with the Sun (This is the world, blooming with life, that spins with the sun, fiery and bright,) are most effective, as well as the images on these pages.) The artwork is folksy and old-fashioned. The sun with a face does not work for me, though. Especially when it's supposed to be FIERY and BRIGHT and the image shows a droopy-eyed, gentle and smili ...more
Lauren
Feb 09, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: everybody
I would give this 3 1/2 stars because I like the illustrations/I don't like them. I think the ecru background detract from the whimsical illustrations. Some of my students didn't want to look at it. So sad. Because it is a fun book with a building, repetitive rhyme. Great for younger students and language learners. This would work well with The House that Jack Built and The Little Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. Perhaps students could then create their own version of this kind of story with BookCr ...more
Jade Ralston
I enjoyed this book. It is about a daughter and father. It is in a form that is easy to follow. The pictures go with the story and have a old-timely feel to them. It teaches a lesson, which is nice. It shows how nature is important as well. It shows how things all work together. "These are the roots deep and fine, that fed the tree, crooked and strong, that grew the apples, juicy and red, that were in the pie, warm and sweet, that papa baked." (Thompson, 2007) All in all I think this is a good b ...more
Sherry Dale Rogers
Apr 20, 2009 Sherry Dale Rogers rated it liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
Juicy red apples baked in a sweet and warm pie, sounds delicious...But who did papa bake that pie for?

I love the illustrations in this book. Bean captures the country time life in the perfect way. And this is his first book. Check him out at www.jonathanbean.com

Thompson knows how to tempt us with those deliciouse red apples. Join papa as he takes us on an adventure to see how apples are grown. But wait who did papa bake that sweet and warm pie for?...Me, you?

When you read this book look for the
Judy
Dec 12, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Shelves: pic-books
Maybe this deserves a fourth star. I'll decide that after I read this to a child. I'm not fond of verse with repetitive tales, but kids like them. This does track from the pie back to the Earth itself, which is a nice way to show the human connection to the 'big picture.'

After reading this to a child, I'd use it as a springboard for thinking of how this tale might read if we started with a food other than apple pie.
Garren
Sep 06, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Perfect art in the style of Virginia Lee Burton.
Ashley Stone
This book goes through the process of growing apples. The narrator, a little girl, tells us exactly what her papa did when growing the apples and how nature helped aid the growth of the apples as well. I think this book would go great in a science lesson maybe. I know a lot of schools like to make applesauce as part of their lesson. I think this would be a good one to read during that time. I think this would be good being read to kindergarteners or for first graders to read on their own.
Shawn Thrasher
Jun 07, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was amazing
Thompson's poetry has the feel of an old nursery rhyme that's been handed down for generations. Paired with Jonathan Bean's illustrations, which have a 1940s flavor, cozily and comfortably reminiscent of Marcia Brown or Virginia Lee Burto, this is a delightful book. Sort of keeper, you may borrow it from the library or a friend, but is'a piece of art and deserves to be owned and cherished. And framed!
The Library Lady
Oct 04, 2007 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the pictures, which are inspired by the Wanda Gag and Virginia Lee Burton books I loved as a kid. The text too, a "house that Jack built" style story, has an old fashioned feel to it. I'm not sure that this is going to work as well with contemporary kids, but it's delightful, and well worth reading.
Russell
Aug 28, 2014 Russell rated it liked it
A touching rip-off of The House That Jack Built. At least it feels that way, but I suppose most cumulative works that aren't Twelve Days of Christmas do.

(view spoiler)
Lisa
Nov 26, 2007 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidland
While I was reading this book, I kept thinking that this would make a GREAT flannelboard for story time. Anyways, it is a take on The House That Jack Built. What makes the book neat are the illustrations. Using 4 colors (black, tan, cream, and red) throughout the book added something special. Definitely near the top of my list so far.
Paula
Sep 03, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
A wonderful picture book with a lot of repetition which can be done with a felt set for story time. The pictures are three colors and very well outlined

When a doting father decides to make an apple pie for his beloved daughter, an enjoyable day is had by all, including the hungry farm animals who hover nearby in the hopes of getting a slice of the pie.
Nan
Jul 20, 2015 Nan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Honors the art style of Virginia Lee Burton and uses only 3 colors, but nicely done. Tells all of what goes into an apple pie in the format of "The House that Jack Built" Will be a good story to tie into Kindergarten unit on apples. Spend some time enjoying the use of color, since it's rare these days and many students may not be attracted to it at first.
Melanie
This cumulative story is about a pie that a father bakes for his daughter. The story begins with a couple of pictures with no text. Then readers are introduced to the tree that bears the apples that were used to bake the pie. Everything from roots, water and rain are described as helping papa bake the pie.
Ellen
Apr 01, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All kids, 3 and up
There's a distinct possibility that you will appreciate this book more than your children do. It's reminiscent, in its folkiness and rounded horizons, of Virginia Lee Burton. The story, of course, and its familiar patterning is borrowed from "The House That Jack Built". Charming, gentle, and old-fashioned.
  • Snow
  • Wild Child
  • The Apple Pie Tree
  • Leaves
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • The Best Pet of All