Start by marking “The Little Blue-Eyed Vampire from Hell” as Want to Read:
The Little Blue-Eyed Vampire from Hell

The Little Blue-Eyed Vampire from Hell

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Seek out the mysterious vampire squid on a stunning journey into the ocean’s depths with leading marine conservationist Richard Ellis

Renowned marine conservationist Richard Ellis gives a fascinating account of the vampire squid. Named Vampyroteuthis infernalis (“the vampire squid from Hell”) by its nineteenth-century discoverer because of its sinister appearance, it is ne
Published September 18th 2012 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Blue-Eyed Vampire from Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Blue-Eyed Vampire from Hell

Chris
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer – I read a copy via Netgalley, and I don’t eat squid.

So let’s get the big card on the table. The vampire squid from hell is not a vampire, is not a squid, and is not from hell (unless hell is really deep water). You will notice that nowhere in that sentence does the word sadly appear.

That’s because the vampire squid that isn’t from hell is so cool.

You see, it’s not really a squid and it’s not an octopus. And it isn’t a love child either, but maybe it could be.
What I knew about squi
Preeti
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cephalod lovers, people interested in the oceans
Shelves: animals, oceans, netgalley
This book should be entitled, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Cephalopods - which, if you have a thing for cephalopods, is never enough.

This is the first book that I've gotten through Netgalley. When I saw this was available and that Richard Ellis had written it (I've been meaning forever to read some of his stuff), I knew I had to sign up to see if I was eligible. I'm so glad I did!

Though the book is titled based on the vampire squid (not quite a squid, not quite an octopus, but in its
Chinook
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Though occasionally over my head, this was really interesting. I'm ready for Kait's questions about Cephalopods now.
Abby
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
fun facts to know and tell about vampire squid. I mean what more could you want?
Charlotte
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
An encyclopedic, but readable, book about this fascinating creature as well as the whole group of creatures. It never dragged, it was scientific without being boring, and I really enjoyed it once it got going (took a bit to ramp up).
Donna
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
a fascinating look at an unusual deep ocean dweller
Kyla Gatlin
Charlie
Nov 01, 2016
Sara Jose
Jul 16, 2013
Richard Ellis is a celebrated authority on marine biology and America’s foremost marine life artist whose work has been exhibited worldwide. His nine books include The Search for the Giant Squid (a Publishers Weekly 1998 Best Book of the Year), Great White Shark, Encyclopedia of the Sea, Men and Whales, Monsters of the Sea, Deep Atlantic The Book of Whales, and Imagining Atlantis.
More about Richard Ellis...

“The hatchlings of most deep-sea octopus species develop directly, without passing through a larval stage.” 0 likes
“waters, and even some that leave the water altogether. The Japanese flying squid (Todarodes pacificus) can take to the air like a flying fish; it builds up speed underwater and then launches itself out of the water and glides until reentry. Flying squid have been observed to cover distances as long as 100 feet above the surface, presumably to avoid predators, or utilizing jet-propelled aerial locomotion to save energy as they migrate. It has been shown that penguins, sea lions, and dolphins save energy by performing low-level leaps over the surface as they swim, which enables them to momentarily avoid the resistance of water and, concurrently, grab a breath of air. Squid don’t need a breath of air—they breathe water through their gills, like fishes—but several squid species can and do leave the water; mariners in all oceans occasionally find little squid on the decks after a night of sailing. The Humboldt squid (Dosidicus) has also been observed to get itself airborne; if a hundred-pound, ink-squirting, beak-snapping squid lands on your deck, you might have a bit of a problem.” 0 likes