Start by marking “Defenders By Matt Fraction Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Defenders By Matt Fraction Vol. 2

Defenders By Matt Fraction Vol. 2

(Defenders (2011) #2)

The Defenders find their way to Wakanda and team with the Black Panther to face the lethal John Aman, the Prince of Orphans! What is Aman protecting that's worth killing so many for so long? And just how is Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat, going to steal it? Then: the Defenders are lost in space-time! What alternate universe will they find first ... and who is waiting for the ...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by Marvel (first published January 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Defenders By Matt Fraction Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defenders By Matt Fraction Vol. 2

Gianfranco Mancini

"Don't yield, back S.H.I.E.L.D."

Weird storyline ending abruptly because Marvel cancelled the series, usual time-travel alternative universe mess, a final moral lesson not much in character with Dr. Strange at all and too many artists changing every issue... But I really loved very much #9, an awesome loving tribute to 60s Nick Fury agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Please, someone at Marvel just kill the "Samuel Jackson" Fury Jr and give me back the real one.

Mike
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seriously weird twists and turns this book takes from the previous volume. I think Fraction decided this was going to be his Grant Morrison book, complete with cosmic time travel, weird-speaking aliens and the occasional mute brute that doesn't seem to impact the plot.

I found myself entertained until about halfway through, and then the gibberish just stopped me cold. I couldn't pick the book up again for days after, so much enthusiasm and momentum had been sucked out of me. Like the effects of t
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-marvel, comics
A pretty disappointing book.

The first problem is that it's largely incomprehensible through issues #9 and #10, where I literally feel like pages were left out.

The second problem is that all the cool character work of the first volume is omitted for a no-holds-barred constantly-moving action-adventure.

The third problem is that the ending pretty much ruins the whole series.

The only thing I really liked about this volume was its explanation for why the Earth is such a center of superheroic activity
Jaime
Well, I'm a big dork. I read this volume before I read volume one simply because I picked up the one volume.

So I was very confused while reading it and wasn't too impressed. The characters were fun, but I had no idea what was going on with the story line and it wasn't enjoyable.

BUT AFTER reading volume one, I've realized the merit of volume 2. Volume 1, of course, sets up exciting stuff for volume 2. Also the ending. WHAT WAS THAT ENDING
Anthony
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
When writing Marvel comics, Fraction can be hit or miss. His Defenders is definitely a hit. It's a crazy, time travelling story that includes 60's Spy Nick Fury and Ant-Man. It's awesome. A high point is issue 9, were Fraction and Jamie Mckelvie have genius like creative synergy. It's a shame McKelvie didn't do the entire arc, because then I'd probably be giving it 5 stars.
Aaron Wiener
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
This is bizarre.

It’s not bad... and certain things about it are really cool. I mean, it’s another Marvel story involving multiple realities... which can get a bit tiresome. But I like how this one randomly decides to use that plot to device to explain ALL MARVEL. It’s ambitious.

The best thing about this series is the characters. I never get tired of seeing Namor, Red She Hulk, The Silver Surfer, Doctor Strange and Danny Rand interact. It was also fun seeing them get mixed up with Nick Fury, Bl
Nick
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a strange book, with some of my favorite and least-favorite characters all crammed together into a story that really didn't make a lot of sense. That was apparently deliberate, but I still thought that the result was good, but not great.
Red She-Hulk, a bad derivate from Red Hulk, was a bad idea, and in this case poorly executed. However, the inclusion of Black Cat, in a non-depressing version, almost made up for it, and the rest of the characters were fun.
Dr. Strange was not his normal
Steve Owens
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not good.
Clint
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Reni
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, fantasy
The conclusion to the story continues at a breakneck speed that might here and there leave some readers wondering what the hell just happened. To add to the confusion there is also time travel on top of that! Oh boy. Luckily the character were engaging enough both on their own and as a team to keep me invested enough in the story to keep up with the multiple plot threads finally intertwining. I thoroughly enjoyed all the weird, fantastic stuff in these issues. While these later issues again chan ...more
Pturingan
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
That was pretty cool, the way they wrapped up the whole Concordance Engines story and giving us an "origin" story for the entire Marvel Universe. After reading the first volume, I was unsure about sticking with this series. I'm glad I decided to get this one after all.

I've also seen in the comics websites that this series has been cancelled and will be replaced by a new series- Fearless Defenders- with a completely new concept. It's just as well I guess because I kinda like the way this series
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think that Fraction would be able to tie up everything he had seeded in the first volume in six issues, but for the most part, this second and final volume of his Defenders stories manages it. Whilst giving an origin for the Marvel Universe as a whole, as well as some intense action, these six issues travel across the multiple universes and locales, roping in numerous characters from across the MU, and then finishing it all off in a nice tidy bow. They probably could have done with at l ...more
Drown Hollum
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhero
Defenders culminates in a disappointingly rushed time travel story of no real consequence. That's a huge bummer.

The character focus goes out the window for volume 2, trading it for constant and difficult to follow action. The enticing concept rushes head first for a disappointing finish. Black Cat shows up just to be there, I have no idea what those frogs were about, there's little elaboration until the very end, and really, this book just devolves into a panic.

The dialogue is good, the concep
Silas
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This... really took a turn. It was pretty coherent in the first volume, and the second volume was... less so. As an Invisibles fan, that was alright by me, and it was an interesting take on why there are just so many super heroes in the Earth of the Marvel universe. It features some of my favorite characters, so it was fun, but the ending, while sort of out of left field, and something of a non-ending didn't quite do it for me. I'm not sure if this prefaced the whole Marvel Now! phenomena. If so ...more
Andrew
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Well, I expected this to be weird, and it was. I liked the ending, but I feel like the build-up to it was kind of sloppy and maybe "weird for weird's sake," if you know what I mean. (Though, of course, that can be fun, and indeed it was.)

The artwork was mixed. I think this run could have been better if they'd gotten one artist for it and stuck with him or her. (But I can't really say anything bad about any individual artist involved in this run.)

All that being said, if Matt Fraction was doing an
Michael
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Poor ending for a series that had such promise.

This is what happens when Marvel decides to just up and cancel a series. Fraction did a decent job wrapping it up in the last few issues. The Dodson's and McKelvie's ary was fantastic, but the last artist... not so much. Didn't work for this kind of book.

Nice to see some closure, but when you get to the end of this book you'll wonder if that's the right kind of word to use.
Jordan
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gone is the interesting character work from Vol.1. Replacing it are cameos of no consequence and a lot of mumbo-jumbo multiverse talk. The end is Hallmark Channel lousy, and the story was inconsistent from the start. Should the engines be destroyed or not? What do they actually do? Changes from page to page, stinks from top to bottom. Disappointing ending to a story that seemed like it was just taking off.
Alex Sarll
A deranged pulp attempt at a unified field theory of the Marvel Universe, and the most Grant Morrison thing Fraction has written. Doesn't entirely cohere at the end (I suspect a rushed pre-cancellation wrap-up) but still great fun. Also, lovely to see Jamie McKelvie draw Nick Fury, Frankenhitler, a very hot Red She-Hulk and lots more in half the issues here.
Gina
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The most impressive thing about this series is that it makes the size of the Marvel Universe, with all its fantastic powers, make sense. It gives a plausible reason, solves the crisis spiraling out of control to the extreme (destruction of the universe) and then resolves it in a way that could seem like a cheat, but that ends up being touching.
Sean
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 really
Meghan
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Man, too bad Defenders got canceled just as it was getting awesome

But oh, what a way to go out!
Willow
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
Lesley
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this so much better than the first volume. All the art was great, and Jordie Bellaire's colors on issue 11 is incredible.
Frans Karlsson
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-marvel
The conclusion to story about the strange machine they found in Vol 1. The ending was not the best.
Craig

• A-Babies vs. X-Babies #1
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 5: Escape from the Eighth City
  • Winter Soldier, Volume 4: The Electric Ghost
  • Daken/X-23: Collision
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art

Defenders (2011) (2 books)
  • Defenders By Matt Fraction Vol. 1