Start by marking “Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)

Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan #5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  703 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
As the Federation recovers from the devastating events of Star Trek: Destiny, Captain William Riker and the crew of the U.S.S. Titan are ordered to resume their deep-space assignment, reaffirming Starfleet's core principles of peaceful exploration. But even far from home on a mission of hope, the scars of the recent cataclysm remain with them as they slowly rebuild their l ...more
Published October 21st 2012 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published February 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Over a Torrent Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over a Torrent Sea

Lars
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Over A Torrent Sea is without question the worst Star Trek novel I've read since returning to the books after David Mack's Destiny trilogy. Set after the Borg Invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, the U.S.S. Titan led by Captain Riker resumes its deep space exploration and discovers an aquatic world (kind of like the one Voyager visited in the season 5 episode Thirty Days). Except this oceanic world is filled with truely bizarre but intelligent alien creatures. The crew sets out to try and communicate ...more
Michael
Following the events of "Star Trek: Destiny," Captain Riker and the crew of the Titan are sent back to the original mission--exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life and new civilizations.

Early on in Christopher L. Bennett's "Over a Torrent Sea," the reasoning for sending Titan back out on its original mission instead of staying behind to rebuild the Federation is laid out in a fairly believable manner.

Then it's on to the planet of Droplet, a world made of mostly of oceans with a u
Christian
I have to admit the book was a bit boring. It is a nice idea to set up the story on a waterplanet but I had to fight till the end. I put the book several times away but I want mostly to finish books. So I read it till the end. The other Titan books are much better.
Crystal Bensley
A bit slow in parts but I really love the crew of Titan and its exploration focus!
Sunknight
I kept waiting for something exciting to happen until the end of the book. Way to bogged down by relationships and emotions. Too much like a soap opera set on a Federation Starship.
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I enjoy Star Trek books set on exotic planets, namely because the authors have a knack for making me feel like I'm there. This one featured Ensign Aili Lavena as she headed up the away team exploring the water planet Droplet. With no land masses to speak of, Lavena was the perfect one to literally explore the planet's depths. As a mature Selkie, she's fully aquatic and the only crewman able to check things out without needing a shuttlecraft or diving equipment.

Lavena's initial foray into Droplet
Angela
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tng
The crew of the Titan find an unusual water planet. They decide to investigate, and things get very complicated. Deanna is due to give birth very soon, and Tuvok is dealing with the death of his son. The world is very interesting and unusual. The truly alien feel to it is well realised. It concentrates mainly on the aquatic member of the crew and who she really is. There are some great character moments. A good read.
Emma
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Dan Gilman
While I loved the idea of Over a Torrent Sea, it really failed to flesh out much of anything, while touching on everything. It really did seem all over the place, Aili Lavena, Troi, Riker, Ree, Cetenthe, Melora and a few more have story lines running concurrently, it plays out much as an episode of Star Trek would, but it seemed rather negatively so.

The main theme running throughout is relationships, inter-personal, planetary, and add to that a "Prime Directive? LOLWUT!?" attitude and you see ti
Micah
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Destiny trilogy I was interested to see how the Titan crew was recovering from those events. Previous Titan adventures proved to be remarkably well written and developed but such remarks are loosely applied to this adventure. Much like a TV episode that had a seemingly random plot & left you confused at the point of that episode "Over a Torrent Sea" achieves the same effect. Instead of techno babble and great orations on warp travel, cosmic phenomenon, etc. The book is fill ...more
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War