Start by marking “How to Be a Vampire” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Vampire

How to Be a Vampire (Ghosts of Fear Street #13)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Life was pretty average for Andrew. Until the morning he woke up undead. First there were bite marks on his neck. Then he tried to eat garlic—but that didn’t work out so well. And now he’s got this weird urge to sleep upside down....

Andrew’s kind of excited about being a vampire. He’ll get to fly, stay up all night, and totally scare his sister. But when he meets his vampi
Published December 11th 2012 by Aladdin (first published 1996)

Greg Kerestan
After nearly short circuiting my brain pounding massive, phone-book sized classics like War and Peace and the first two volumes of Journey to the West, I decided that I would revisit some childhood favorites for some R&R. Pure YA junk food. And it doesn't get much junkier than R. L. Stine. I vividly remember eating these books up, knowing they weren't very good even then but consuming them addictively for their mix of comedy, horror, sci-fi and adventure elements. This one is a little schloc ...more
Tara Calaby
(1.5 Stars)

Four reasons young readers will enjoy How To Be A Vampire

1. It's pure vampire fantasy. The protagonist, Andrew, gets to experience flight as a bat, travelling through cracks in doors as a red mist and running through the town as a wolf.

2. Young readers (and boys in particular) will enjoy the fighting between Andrew and his sister, and the tricks he plays on her. Like Andrew, they might also think that the best thing about being a vampire would be the possibility of scaring a sibling!

Regina Reads
Rating: Step Into The Light
(Good Enough to Read But Not Own)

A fun, fast junior fiction read for all fans of the old school vampire style. Middle school boy wakes up one morning to discover two small bite marks on his neck and comes to the realization that he just might have been a late-night snack for a hungry bloodsucker.

A bit like the Goonies meets The Little Vampire, this Fear Street novel is great for struggling readers and makes for a fun and easy summer read. It is thin enough that non-r
Kimmy Nightingale
3.68 · rating details · 60 ratings · 5 reviews
One morning, Andrew woke up undead.
First there were the bite marks on his neck. Then he tried to eat garlic...yikes! And now he's got this weird urge to sleep upside down.

Not that Andrew minds turning into a vampire. He'll be able to stay up all night, fly, and scare his sister silly. Cool!

But then Andrew meets his vampire teacher, one really scary guy.

Andrew isn't ready for a lesson on how to sleep in a coffin -- or how to drink blood!

But does
Tori Schaunaman
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic-fiction
one anderw woke up un dead first were bite marks on his neck. then he tride to eat grlic...yikes!he almost choced to death.and now hes got this weird arge to sleep up side down. not that anderw minds turning in to a vampier.he can stay up all night,and scar his sister silly.but then anderw meets his vampier teacher, but anderw is int ready to sleep in a coffen or drink ...blood...euck.

i liked this book becuse it was funny and cool.
Genee
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my children last week ( Ages 6,8, and 11) and we all enjoyed it. It had a few frightening or intense scenes, but nothing too gruesome. There was humor relating to situations that children with siblings all tend to deal with. This was not one of my favorite vampire books, but it was a good for the children and it was a light read. If you're an adult, don't expect it to be on par with Twilight. This is written for a younger audience.
Arturo Baltazar
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the book was good and scary with a little bit of mystery.The book is about a boy who is interested in the unexplained and one morning he finds an old book about how to be a vampire and soon he finds out he is becoming a vampire or "a vampire in training',soon the kid and his friends have to kill the vampire master
Arisha Salman
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*not very important spoilers*

I enjoyed this thoroughly and I mean it. Since I read it a long time ago I don't exactly remember everything, but I remember the part the guy started reacting crazily to garlic (vampires are allergic to garlic-yes that's a fact). And another instance where his sibling found him sleeping, while hanging upside down in the cupboard. I loved it. Highly recommended!
Alexis R
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
so far this book is good. It is bout a boy that loves to read book bout vampires.He also likes so scare his sister. (his name is Andrew)Andrew gets traped and then and now he is gettin to symptoms of a vampire (Well that is wat is friend said.(his friend said that he can not wait til Andrew becomes a vampire so that Andrew can change him into a vimpire too)
Michael
Keep in mind that I am adult reviewing this book - one who loves R L Stine and vampires.

I thought this was going to be more fun than it was. The story seemed goofy and didn't make much sense. The characters were poorly developed, especially of Vlad.

It did read quickly. I live in NYC and got it finished in one bus and subway ride.
Stacy
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes the writing of this is not great, yes it's juvenile, and yes the characters (particularly Count Ved) are not great but this was still a really cute little vampire story that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Terri
I wanted a light quick vamp read for New YEars so I chose this one. A boy who loves horror and is fascinated by vampires finds his life changed when he is bitten by one and starts changing into one - an official vampire-in-training
Jonathan Askenazi
Kimberly Lowe
How Do I Read? Where Do I Read? Please Tell Me, I Want To Read It So Bad
Sami C
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too scary, but not too dumbed down. When I read this back in the day, I didn't know what a bagel was. Now, whenever I have one, I think of this book.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was bad. This was not a good R.L. Stine book at all.
Agustina
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It brings me back. One of the first vampire books I read. I got a little obsessed with it, to be honest. It's more for pre-teens.
Diana Ramdial
Its is such a good book
Mia Claire
It was spooky but also funny.
Lizzie K
Emi Mizune
Feb 19, 2017
April
Jun 27, 2015
  • Invasion of the Appleheads (Deadtime Stories, #2)
  • Night of the Vampire (Spooksville, #19)
  • Vampires
  • Backstabber (SVH Senior Year, #17)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Spine Tinglers: Tales to Make You Shiver

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Ghosts of Fear Street (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Hide and Shriek (Ghosts of Fear Street, #1)
  • Who's Been Sleeping in My Grave? (Ghosts of Fear Street, #2)
  • The Attack of the Aqua Apes (Ghosts of Fear Street, #3)
  • Nightmare in 3-D (Ghosts of Fear Street, #4)
  • Stay Away From the Treehouse (Ghosts of Fear Street, #5)
  • Eye of the Fortuneteller (Ghosts of Fear Street, #6)
  • Fright Knight (Ghosts of Fear Street, #7)
  • The Ooze (Ghosts of Fear Street, #8)
  • Revenge of the Shadow People (Ghosts of Fear Street, #9)
  • The Bugman Lives (Ghosts of Fear Street, #10)