Start by marking “The Summer Prince” as Want to Read:
The Summer Prince

The Summer Prince

On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, Niamh sneaks out to attend the festival of Beltaine and soon encounters a mysterious young man. When she has to choose between running deeper into a dark forest with a supernatural creature that shouldn't exist or facing an unknown threat chasing her, Niamh discovers she will have to rethink everything she knows about the Fae.
ebook, Smashwords Edition
Published August 27th 2012 by Smashwords (first published July 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer Prince

Jennifer Lane
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Summer Prince by Carol Oates is a fantastic short story! Her lyrical writing sets the scene of the Beltaine celebration in a small Irish town years ago. Niamh is a 15 year-old sneaking around a party meant only for those 16 and older. A handsome stranger, a friend's unexpected cruelty, and the folklore of the Fae evoke a mysterious and satisfying YA romance in this story.
Amanda
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, kindle
My full review for the Summer Lovin' anthology can be found here - http://thebookboudoir.blogspot.com/20... The Summer Prince was part of that limited edition collection.

"In The Summer Prince by Carol Oates we kick off with 15 year old Niamh going to the Beltaine celebration. She and her best friend sneak in because those under 16 aren't allowed. From across the field she spies a handsome stranger who is watching her intensely. Niamh doesn't know who he is or what she should do. I admit that at
Beckie Treble
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I might be completely biased because Carol is one of my closest friends, and her writing has always had me in knots (good ones, of course).
Her writing is so different to anybody else's out there, and she really makes me wanna sit down and write again because if Carol can do it, then I can too.

This was actually, my first short story that I've read without it being for GCSE English, and I loved it. Short and sweet, and after reading this, it's really making think I should test out who my
Cleopatra
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-rom
There are times that people know some things instictively. Deep inside they know its true, but they don't want to believe them. Especially when they contradict logic and how we perceive the world around us.

This story hides such a message. It is a lovely read about Irish myths and love. If you want to discover the Fae this story is for you!
Cailin
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
For a short story it was good. You don't really get to know the characters very well cause the story is so short. Wish it was longer and had more character building.
Nicki Elson
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming summer read. It gripped me from its surprise twist in the opening scene and then carried me off to fantastical settings with an intriguing dose of mythical lore.
Tiffany
Cute short read!! :)
DJ
Wow. Just amazing that this was a shirt story. It felt like a saga with all the twists and turns. Just wonderful, Carol Oates!
Tammy
Not quite what I was expecting, but still a fun read nonetheless.
Vinodhini Shehzad
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, but felt its too short..
Vivek
Marielle Vergara
May 11, 2014
Ariel The Tempest
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has anyone noticed a trend yet?
If you haven't then it may be that I've been enamored by short stories, novelettes and novellas recently.

The Summer Prince is a short story I picked up quite a long time ago [I think I got it for free somewhere before I picked it up again on amazon] but never finished until now since something else was always coming up.
I'm really glad I finally finished it though.
Because it was so short there wasn't much character building but just enough that you liked or disliked
Lora
Isabel
Apr 10, 2015
Nicole
Jun 26, 2014
Carol Oates came into the world on Christmas morning, in an elevator. Raised just across the street from the childhood home of Bram Stoker, author of Dracula, it was only a matter of time before Carol’s love of all things supernatural would emerge.
She began experimenting with fiction at school and keeps the notebook containing her first unpublished novel in her desk drawer. Over three decades lat