Start by marking “Operator” as Want to Read:
Operator

Operator

When Michael Herne's high school girlfriend Melissa commits suicide, he makes the fateful decision to return home for her funeral. Michael hasn't stepped foot in his Catskills hometown for more than a dozen years since he left it and a college football scholarship behind to join the Army.

Michael quickly learns that his hometown has changed as he is pulled into the web of
Published August 21st 2012 by ThirdWay (first published August 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Operator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operator

Start your review of Operator
Seeley James
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some columnist quoted me in Forbes — obviously an indicator of an advanced intellect — so I read his bio and discovered that he’d written a thriller. Any writer smart enough to quote me deserves to be read. I bought it, I read it … and I liked it. (Even though he’s an Adjunct Professor at NYU, but more about my problems with authority later.) For a debut thriller, independently published, this is a masterful work.

I always give indie writers a little more leeway than traditionally published autho
Russell Blake
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Operator is a well-written, fast-paced action/adventure tale that will leave enthusiasts of the genre happy they read it. The protagonist has all the usual almost preternatural hyper-competence readers of these types of novels have come to expect from the leading man, so while there aren't a lot of surprises in his makeup, it's convincing and offers enough detail to ring true. The story moves well, with gripping action and satisfying prose, and enough twists to keep one guessing. I think that's ...more
Scott Roche
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It took me back to the military thrillers I ate like candy in college. There are a few minor things that keep this from being a five star book. I think the primary one for me was that in some ways Herne is a little too over the top. I loved him for the first half of the book, but by the end I only liked him. Part of that is the transformation he undergoes as a character and it didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I will be looking forward to more by this author ...more
Vicii
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was really good as a relentless, short, fast-paced thriller. Probably 3.5 stars
Matthew Andrus
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Michael returns home to his childhood town in the Catskills to attended the funeral of his high school girlfriend Melissa but something just doesn't feel right for Michael, he just can't understand why his former girlfriend would shoot herself when she detested guns so much.

Michael with the help of Melissa's friend tries to uncover what really happened and they discover a web of deceit that runs right through this small town in update NYC.

Michael has to use a set of skills that the former solide
Candice Mckinney
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Michael Herne's highschool girlfriend has committed suicide and he has come home for the funeral. He has not been back to his home town in years. He left home when his Dad died and his Mom told him he had to go to work in the local mill to support the family. Michael packed a bag and left town. He joined the Army.

Michael starts to question the suicide theory when one of his old girlfriends friends starts showing him some evidence.

This is a fast paced book. It is very well written and interesting
Simon Jenner
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Simon by: Matthew Andrus
Michael finds himself in the middle of Russian gang activity when he returns to his home town for a funeral. His military training and doubts about the 'suicide' of his high school girlfriend mean he cannot just walk away. I particularly enjoyed the details about the training and skills of 'operators' as well as the chase up the mountain. The latter half of the book particularly is fast paced and there are enough twists and turns to keep your interest. I would have liked to have seen Michael's s ...more
Sharon Michael
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, sort of fun anyway. Fast, entertaining and good pacing. A bit over the top but then I started my action/adventure addiction with James Bond and Travis McGee so obviously I don't have much issue with "a bit over the top" characters.

Fast action, well developed main character with enough backstory to establish where the plot eventually took him. I wondered about the lack of development of the female lead but it made sense at that point.

I'll be interested in more.
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adultfiction
As a librarian, you get your hands on a LOT of books. This was sitting on my chair at the last conference I attended. The author was an engaging speaker, with a truly interesting perspective. The book, completely unrelated to the presentation...and I could not put it down!
Josh Bickford
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the best indie book I've read to date. Read it early, if you make the mistake of reading in bed you'll be up all night. ...more
Angelle
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A tangled web that small town hero Mike Herne must untangle. Fast paced, well written, edge of your seat novel. Definitely worth reading. Hope to see more by Mr. Vinjamuri!
Jim Crocker
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a good one. The MC's got slick moves Jason Borne would envy. ...more
Liz Fidler
Loved the hero & the pace of the book was very good - quick but well written read - maybe we will get more books starring Michael Herne!
Compulsion Reads
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Michael Herne was going home for the funeral of his ex-girlfriend. Years in the military had strained his relationship with his family, and he had hoped for a quick in and out visit. Unfortunately, a number of factors turned this sad trip into a full-on investigation into the Russian gang activity taking over his hometown. With the help of Veronica, his ex-girlfriend’s best friend, they uncover a dirty scandal that reaches far beyond a small town in the Catskills.

This book has some of the most w
Courtney
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, fiction, mystery
This was most likely never going to be a book on my "to read" list. I happened to run across it on a desk at the library and it caught my eye. So glad I picked it up. I started reading it one evening just to see if it was going to be something that could keep my interest and then I had a hard time putting it down. It kept pulling me in chapter after chapter waiting to see what was going to happen next. Herne was a likeable if not loveable character that you really wanted to see come out on top. ...more
Mike
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A galloping crash, bang, wallop of a read. Our hero is much larger than life and had done his time in almost every branch of US special ops. This flows along at a fine pace and for the most part is a good read. It got a shade too much when he takes out a couple of dozen of the opposition all at one time and the car chase is really a film rather than a book scene but it was an enjoyable escape from real life. Just a shade too much detail now and again. We really don't need to know the name of eve ...more
Bob
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
An Ex Special Operations operative now working for the State Department Returns home to a small NY town for the funeral of an old friend whose death was ruled a suicide. Meeting with his family who he hasn’t seen since walking out as a teen to join the Army, he has some catching up to do and some bridges to repair. When he steps in to defuse a confrontation between a woman and an aggressive man he begins a journey back to his operative days as he becomes caught up in a confrontation with a Russi ...more
Nieshia Gutierrez
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a good short story. Very interesting with lots of detail. I checked it out from Any-think Library. They had it as a binge read book. I read your acknowledgements giving credit to your editor; i think she could have done a better job. I don't like how she edited your book.... they killed a character and then misplace his name in the book once, which was really confusing and made me question myself. There was quite a few typing errors that should have been corrected if she would have re-rea ...more
Ltshaw
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I downloaded and read this book because a friend recommended it on Facebook (knows the author). Not usually my kind of book which is why I didn't give a rave review. It was definitely fun to read and flowed nicely. It was also full of violence. Michael Herne is a good protagonist. I totally felt like I was reading about James Bond. Lots of fighting, guns, knives and high speed car chases. If you like that type of book, I'd definitely recommend this one. If you are looking for thoughtful literatu ...more
Boots S
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Micheal Herne returns home after 12 years for the funeral of his one-time girl friend. Events lead him to believe she has been murdered. Herne is a super hero and manages to break up a crime ring run by Russians. It took me a long time to read this book, as I got bogged down with so much description of various types of guns, special armor, etc.
Mike Hobbs
Step back Tom Clancy et al who have who have coopted other authors to do their writing. This is a great suspense novel and Vinjamuri has an excellent knowledge of tradecraft, setting and modern weaponry. This is a great first work of fiction.
Joyce Flud
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this writer

I really enjoyed this book I couldn't put it down.
this is the first novel that I have read on my Kindle and I love this writer and will look for more novel's by him

Joyce

Perri
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and action packed-this is like a Jack Reacher abridged version story.
Dwayne Pierce
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent

This book was great from the start. The detail used to describe actions and events put you right there at the scene. Would definitely read more of this author's work.
Todd
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book by new author. It was a quick read. Lots of action. Looks like the first book in a series. I'll be reading that series.
David
Sep 10, 2012 added it
I wrote Operator. If you want to know more ... www.facebook.com/operatorthenovel
Michael Serra
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
very enjoyable read you like the characters and the book move along at a nice pace. I look forward to his next book.
P.S. Rowland
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I forget why I chose this book to read, but I was pleasantly surprised. Worth a try.
Ron Garcia
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book

I really enjoyed this book. The author is somewhere between Marcus Wynne and Bob Mayer. I'm looking forward to reading Binder.
Jeff
Oct 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Thriller #1)
  • The Affair (Jack Reacher, #16)
  • Everlasting (Sedikhan, #9)
  • Cutting Loose (Steele Street, #8)
  • The Counterfeit Agent (John Wells, #8)
  • Enemy of Mine (Pike Logan, #3)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • Appetite for Innocence
  • Saving Noah
  • The Shadow Girl
  • Phantom Limb
  • Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • The Callsign (Pike Logan, #2.5)
  • Point of Impact (Bob Lee Swagger, #1)
  • Execute Authority (Delta Force #5)

News & Interviews